Wisconsin Assembly bans mention of CRT in school, along with about 100 other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,583.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How many people TODAY are slave owners? How many people TODAY are under the oppression of slavery?

If things have changed so much for the better and are now so good today, what's with all the worry about looking at the history of racism in the country?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Banning bad ideas is a very bad idea for trying to stop those bad ideas from spreading.

What we need is more free speech for students, so they can openly criticize or approve of ideas being taught.

Also we need to ban the covering up of what is being taught, make it illegal for teachers and schools to lie to parents or to anyone about what they are teaching in the classroom.

The issue isn't really about banning an idea. The problem is in schools today they are NOT teaching these things as bad ideas. They are teaching them as good and proper ideas.

It's called indoctrination.

I have no problem if teachers were to teach what CRT is. Like "this is CRT" and just provide the theory. And then provide equal time to the counterpoint to it. But the problem is they don't do that. They teach not just the basics of CRT, but also teach all the add ONS to it as if they are all true.

Same goes with a lot of those subjects.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Those words can be divisive in their own right, in certain contexts, especially if they are used to ignore or minimize actual historical events.

So we are not to teach divisive words. So the OP list is off the table too.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
If things have changed so much for the better and are now so good today, what's with all the worry about looking at the history of racism in the country?

Who says racism can't be looked at? It's been looked at for years. I know we looked at it when I was growing up. Is nothing looked at in school anymore?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It's not a new trend.

Empathy curriculum has been part of school reading curricula for decades going back to the 1960's.

Of course it has, but it wasn't used specifically to divide people based on the color of their skin, not was it used to indoctrinate us privileged white kids how bad we were cause we were white. It wasn't used to tell us we were all a bunch of racists and our country is evil cause of it.

We took an honest look at it, felt bad about it, wished it didn't happen but then looked at what we've done about it as well. The civil war, the civil rights etc.

We didn't learn that America IS a black hating country that is still oppressing back people and that I by the virtue of the color of my skin are a privileged white racist at heart who just wants to keep the black man down.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why on earth do some keepingasking this question?

#1, because a lot of people have seen the conservative manufactured outrage machine in action before. From McCarthy waving around a blank piece of paper with the names of known Communists in the government to the Satanic Panic to trans people in bathrooms to the long form birth certificate to █████ to the Big Lie to this. Bugaboos that were either imaginary or extraordinarily rare. CRT appears to be another such phantom.

#2, because as a card carrying hyperliberal California elite, former teacher and with lots of teachers in my friend circle, I'd never heard of CRT before conservatives started fulminating about it in schools. I barely grasp what it is as a legal theory, and every story I've seen shows that everyone complaining about it doesn't grasp at all what it means. Just what they think it means.

I doubt any state education standards in America incorporate CRT. I doubt any school district in America pushes CRT. What they may include is frank discussions of race in America's history and government. Something we should expect (nay, demand) in any treatment of US history. But it's clear that many people don't feel that way, and they've used "CRT" as a way to demonize anything they don't like.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
#1, because a lot of people have seen the conservative manufactured outrage machine in action before. From McCarthy waving around a blank piece of paper with the names of known Communists in the government to the Satanic Panic to trans people in bathrooms to the long form birth certificate to █████ to the Big Lie to this. Bugaboos that were either imaginary or extraordinarily rare. CRT appears to be another such phantom.

#2, because as a card carrying hyperliberal California elite, former teacher and with lots of teachers in my friend circle, I'd never heard of CRT before conservatives started fulminating about it in schools. I barely grasp what it is as a legal theory, and every story I've seen shows that everyone complaining about it doesn't grasp at all what it means. Just what they think it means.

I doubt any state education standards in America incorporate CRT. I doubt any school district in America pushes CRT. What they may include is frank discussions of race in America's history and government. Something we should expect (nay, demand) in any treatment of US history. But it's clear that many people don't feel that way, and they've used "CRT" as a way to demonize anything they don't like.

It's been proven that CRT is being taught in schools. It's kinda silly you keep asking a question when the proof has already been offered.

Of course you've nevered heard of CRT. Cause the lefties knew better than to really call it what is was. Its the ole, "let's teach all the principles of CRT, and toss in white fragility etc etc but not call it CRT. That way we can say we aren't really teaching it."

Meanwhile we figured it out. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. You can haul out an elephant and claim it's not an elephant all you want. But it's still an elephant.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's been proven that CRT is being taught in schools. It's kinda silly you keep asking a question when the proof has already been offered.

Where was that proof again?

"let's teach all the principles of CRT"

Maybe they are teaching the facts and history that motivated the development of CRT.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The list of banned concepts in the OP would.

I believe you are right. It would. I think when looking at the topics as a whole we get a good picture of whats really going on. Each subject is not taught in a vaccum. It shows we don't trust the education system. Because those racial topics listed are being taught by people who support many of those things. Thus indoctrinating the children. They can't teach kids that racial prejudice exists without teaching about white fragility (as fact), that social justice is a good idea, that white people are all racists, that America is a racist country and white people are doing everything in their power to keep the black man down.

When I was young I learned all about slavery, Jim Crow, hangings, the KKK etc. I learned about how bad racism was. I didn't learn about about my white fragility, white privilege or that I needed to become a social justice warrior and be anti-racist in order to try and prove I wasn't one. You don't need to learn any of that in order to be shown how bad blacks were treated in the past.

We also learned about how America fought the civil war and freed the blacks. And guess what, we all rooted for the north to win cause we instinctively knew slavery was wrong.

We all learned about the civil rights battle and were pleased that MLK fought the battle and any and all J Crow laws were struck down and civil rights were given. We also were taught that blacks have th same rights as the rest of us. That they can now do or be whatever they want. They can live wherever they want, go to any church, hospital or place of business they want. We learned that America has evolved as well as the rest of the world from the days of slavery.

We learned that America was no different than the rest of the world at the time and slavery was a world wide culture. That the world's morals changed through the years. For the good. And we did too. We are not what we once were.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a new trend.

Empathy curriculum has been part of school reading curricula for decades going back to the 1960's.

Regardless of how recently it started, it's still divisive.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The promoters of what you referring to as "looking at the history of racism" are the ones bringing it back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal

There was a different thread I believe where specifics of CRT training and teaching in schools was discussed.
Walmart: where candy is a school supply.
(And of course you should choose the bag of candy that coordinates with your school uniform.)

oh nerts. photo no show.

people-of-walmart-34-1.jpg

I think the thread can be found under this name.

American Teachers Resign Over Oddly Similar Circumstances...

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
  • Informative
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. It says first graders got limited sex education, but not the talk about inappropriate content. Please read it again.
That article had me confused because of the comments about first graders but this article that was linked has more info.
Please read the first paragraph and the last. First graders were taught and watched videos that parents and myself believe were inappropriate for the age group.
Sex-ed teacher out at Dalton after ‘masturbation’ lesson for first graders

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.