✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Philippians 4:10-12a ESV

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.

A Different Direction

I know that Paul is talking here about financial needs and financial support, but I believe the Lord Jesus wants me to take this a different direction this morning. I believe he wants me to talk about spiritual and emotional needs rather than physical needs.

There are many believers in Jesus Christ throughout the world who are walking in the faith, living separate from the world of sin, and following the true gospel of our salvation. And, they are publicly sharing their faith, i.e. the gospel, so that others can come to know Christ, too, and also for the encouragement and revival of the wayward church.

And, they/we need spiritual and emotional support from other believers in Jesus Christ. For, there are many who oppose us and who oppose the teaching of the true gospel, which demands death to sin, and living to God and to his righteousness, for eternal life with God (See Acts 26:18; Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Gal. 5:19-21).

Of No Reputation

Yet, when you give your life to the Lord Jesus and you truly make him Lord (owner-master) of your life, to go wherever he sends you, to do whatever he commands you to do, and to say whatever he commands you to say, you won’t be voted most popular.

Even many Christians will shun you, gossip about you, falsely accuse you, mock you, and be mean and hateful towards you, because you don’t do the things that they do anymore, and because you don’t go along with the idea of just making everyone feel good, no matter where they are in life, and no matter how truly screwed up they may be.

You may even be invited out of some church fellowships because of your strong convictions with regard to holy living and walking in obedience to Christ and to his word. They may push you out, in fact, because your unity is with Christ and not with humanistic religious practices, and because you are teaching repentance and obedience to Christ as necessary components of God-given and divinely persuaded faith in Jesus.

For, many of them want conformity with man, not conformity with God and with his holiness. For, the message of the cross, as applied to our individual lives, in death to sin and living to righteousness, is an offense to them. For, they see their freedom in Christ merely as forgiveness of their sins, but not as deliverance from bondage to sin. And, so they may attack you and call you legalistic and judgmental, when all you are doing is teaching the truth.

Winning the Battle

They who are truly following Jesus Christ with their/our lives, but who are being persecuted for righteousness’ sake, need the support and encouragement of the body of Christ, but often times what we experience is being kicked to the curb, instead, or being fought against because of the truth on which we stand. And, so we need encouragement, and we need to encourage one another, too.

My daughter-in-law, Krystal, wrote a blog post the other day that really touched my heart. Krystal is really big on encouraging other people, and she has been a great source of encouragement to me many times over.

She was quoting from Exodus 17:8-13 which was about the enemies of God’s people attacking them, and them fighting off their enemies, and how when Moses held up his hands they were winning the battle, but whenever his hands grew tired, and he lowered them, then they began losing the battle. So, a stone was placed underneath him, and Aaron and Hur held up his hands, and then God’s people won the battle against their enemy.

What she wrote about is how we need “godly friends and leaders to ‘hold our arms up’ as we fight our battles”, and how we need to be that to others, too. Amen!

See: Warfare

Philippians 4:12b-13, 19-20 ESV

In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me…

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Our Every Need

If we have not already, we need to learn to be content in whatever circumstances the Lord Jesus has us in, and we need to find our all in all in him, and let him be our all-sufficiency to meet our every need, so that we don’t lose heart, and so that we don’t get discouraged, but so we can go on in our walks of faith and win this battle against the enemy of our souls.

Although human encouragement is awesome, and so welcome and needed, we can’t be dependent on it, for it may not come, or it may not come often enough. And, humans may fail us all together by deserting, betraying and rejecting us instead of supporting us in the work of the ministry.

When I read that account of Moses and the battle again, I noted that a rock was first placed underneath Moses for his support and then his friends held up his hands.

Our Rock is Jesus Christ, and if he is all we have, he has to be enough, because he will never fail us, even when humans do. And, he will give us all we need to win this battle against our enemy, because he already won it for us on that cross.

Blessed Are You

An Original Work / August 29, 2012
Based off Luke 6:20-49 NIV 1984

“Blessed are you; blessed are you
Who are poor for God’s kingdom is yours.
Blessed are you; blessed are you
Who are hungry, you’ll be satisfied.
Who weep now, for you will laugh with joy.
when men hate and reject you because of Christ.”

“Rejoice in that; rejoice in that day
And leap for joy; great your reward.
But I tell you; but I tell you
To love those who hate you; do them good.
Pray for those who; pray for those who
Treat you wrong and say kind things of them.
Do to others; do to others as you would
Have them do; have them do to you.”

“If you love those; if you love those
Who love you, what praise is there for you?
Because Christ is; because Christ is kind,
Be merciful, just like He is.
Forgive others; forgive others
Their offense against you; be ye kind.
Hear My words and; hear My words and
Put them into practice, then you’ll be fulfilled.”

Reactions: bèlla

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for sharing this. I have encountered many accounts on the site from others who mention a lack of receptiveness from other believers. While we don't know all the details it's evident the isolation is painful and has hindered the fellowship they've sought.

My own experiences are different. I've been considering where I'd plant my feet since its root is in a synagogue and not a church. I found God and Christ in that place and received a lot of love. And I've often wondered why I was led there years ago. But I think your message articulated the larger reason in some respects.

I am very secure in my relationship and fellowship with the Lord. Whether I have others to walk alongside me or not. I'm pursuing His purpose for my life and that occupies most of my time and focus. And while I've encouraged many I haven't received the same in turn from others. I've taken those concerns to the Lord instead of complaining. He provided unexpected morsels that nourish my spirit. It's just a season. Another will arrive and the situation may change. My hope remains.

Oftentimes when you're following the Lord you'll have moments when you're alone. Others will fall away or disagree with your stance. But there must come a point when you decide where you lean and release the expectations and dependencies that will encumber your path. Christ foretold that others would come against us. Including the people we know and love.

And love is my barometer. Its expression may differ in some respects to my own. The worship may differ as well. But love is a healing balm. It soothes the soul and nourishes the spirit. I've witnessed a lot of religion and more man-made rules than I can recount. But love wasn't as plentiful. Busyness took its place or social movements and other important matters.

What I found in a small room amid strangers and weekly Torah readings was the fruit of love which enabled me to write these words today. Their care and kindness did more to win me than any rhetoric ever would. The love of my neighbor helped bring me to faith and articulated the gospel without its utterance.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing this. I have encountered many accounts on the site from others who mention a lack of receptiveness from other believers. While we don't know all the details it's evident the isolation is painful and has hindered the fellowship they've sought.

My own experiences are different. I've been considering where I'd plant my feet since its root is in a synagogue and not a church. I found God and Christ in that place and received a lot of love. And I've often wondered why I was led there years ago. But I think your message articulated the larger reason in some respects.

I am very secure in my relationship and fellowship with the Lord. Whether I have others to walk alongside me or not. I'm pursuing His purpose for my life and that occupies most of my time and focus. And while I've encouraged many I haven't received the same in turn from others. I've taken those concerns to the Lord instead of complaining. He provided unexpected morsels that nourish my spirit. It's just a season. Another will arrive and the situation may change. My hope remains.

Oftentimes when you're following the Lord you'll have moments when you're alone. Others will fall away or disagree with your stance. But there must come a point when you decide where you lean and release the expectations and dependencies that will encumber your path. Christ foretold that others would come against us. Including the people we know and love.

And love is my barometer. Its expression may differ in some respects to my own. The worship may differ as well. But love is a healing balm. It soothes the soul and nourishes the spirit. I've witnessed a lot of religion and more man-made rules than I can recount. But love wasn't as plentiful. Busyness took its place or social movements and other important matters.

What I found in a small room amid strangers and weekly Torah readings was the fruit of love which enabled me to write these words today. Their care and kindness did more to win me than any rhetoric ever would. The love of my neighbor helped bring me to faith and articulated the gospel without its utterance.

LaBella, Thank you so much for taking the time to write out your thoughts on this subject and to share them with me. Yes, love is absolutely central to all of this. But, it needs to be God's love, not human love. And, God's love is based in holiness, righteousness, purity, faithfulness, and honesty, etc., not as a list of rules to follow, but as the change that he, by his sacrifice on a cross for our sins, intended for each one of us who believe in Jesus Christ. For, Jesus died on that cross, not merely to forgive us our sins, but to put sin to death so that we who believe on him might die to sin and live to his righteousness (1 Pet. 2:24).

True love sets people free. It does not leave them floundering in their sin while we give them a pat on the back and tell them that everything is going to be ok. If we truly love people, we will want what is truly best for them, i.e. what is God's best for them, too, and that is that they, by faith, die with Christ to their old lives of living for sin and self, that they are transformed in heart and mind of the Spirit of God away from sin and to God, and that they, in the power of God's Spirit within them, now walk in obedience to Christ and in surrender to his will for their lives, all by God's grace. This is love.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
True love sets people free. It does not leave them floundering in their sin while we give them a pat on the back and tell them that everything is going to be ok.

The love I'm speaking of was delivered through scripture, worship, and fellowship. The Word came to life and I found my way back to God and Christ in that setting. And the Holy Spirit led me there step by step. I don't believe I'd be where I am if I was subjected to arguments and heavy handedness. I have led others to faith in a similar manner. Love covers a multitude of sins.

Upvote 0