United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which culture is that?

Hereabouts, it's called "Tex-Mex." Texas, as you might suspect, has diverse cultural flavors, including Anglo, Mexican, Czech, Cajun, and German, to mention a few of the more prominent ones. Almost everyone here celebrates this diversity.

In every wave of migration, nativists have howled about "losing our culture." And they've always been wrong. Each wave enriched and strengthened our culture. But that particular variety of stupidity seems to be incurable, and they never learn from experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Queller
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The cost to America of not building the wall is far far greater than the cost of building the wall.

Many other nations have built security walls around their borders with the immediate result that illegal immigration and smuggling is stopped dead.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The cost to America of not building the wall is far far greater than the cost of building the wall.

How do you calculate?

Many other nations have built security walls around their borders with the immediate result that illegal immigration and smuggling is stopped dead.

Has there ever been a nation to build a security wall that didn't work or which was unnecessary?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which culture is that?

I inquired about that too, but I didn't think much of the answer I received to my question (my post is quoted below). The initial remark was "And try to save what's left of our culture," but I thought the answer was very vague. It wasn't a definitive answer of what 'our culture' was considered to be, IMO.

Here's the answer I got:
It would be the ones waving an American flag and not... well, whatever.

And which culture would that be? Are we talking Native American, African, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Cuban, Polynesian, French, Polish, Hindi, Swedish, Greek?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps they should have built a wall?

Perhaps you weren't paying any attention to what the tribe actually wants.

A Standing Rock on the Border?

A border tribe, and the wall that will divide it

Border Wall Threatens Native American Sovereignty

Trump's Border Wall Could Carve Path Through Native American Lands

Native American Tribe to DHS: Keep your dumb border wall off our land

American Indians fear U.S.-Mexico border wall will destroy ancient culture

Native American Tribe on U.S.-Mexico Border Blocks Trump's National Guard Troops From Its Lands

Lay one brick of the border wall and it will be the last of the Indian Wars, native Americans warn Trump

On a side note, the invasion of the Europeans has been compared to a horde of locusts, devouring and destroying everything within its path. Given the nature of locusts and the hordes' capacity to destroy and devour whatever is within its path, it is highly unlikely that any form of wall or barrier would have stopped the Europeans from coming into invade the ancestral homeland of Native Americans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I've answered this question once already... post #20.
Except that that's not really an answer. Anyone can wave an American flag. That doesn't mean they represent American culture.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I inquired about that too, but I didn't think much of the answer I received to my question (my post is quoted below). The initial remark was "And try to save what's left of our culture," but I thought the answer was very vague. It wasn't a definitive answer of what 'our culture' was considered to be, IMO.
Here's the answer I got:

Except that that's not really an answer. Anyone can wave an American flag. That doesn't mean they represent American culture.
No, but someone waving a foriegn flag sure isn't acting like they're wanting to blend in. This isn't rocket science.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

So far, all the numbers disagree with you.

Didn't work for China. Didn't work for the Romans. Didn't work for the Greeks. It's tens of billions of dollars to build pump up Trump's huge and delicate ego.

Seeing as most Americans don't want it, and most Americans blame Trump for holding the country hostage to get it, there's zero chance he'll win on this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps you weren't paying any attention to what the tribe actually wants.

A Standing Rock on the Border?

A border tribe, and the wall that will divide it

Border Wall Threatens Native American Sovereignty

Trump's Border Wall Could Carve Path Through Native American Lands

Native American Tribe to DHS: Keep your dumb border wall off our land

American Indians fear U.S.-Mexico border wall will destroy ancient culture

Native American Tribe on U.S.-Mexico Border Blocks Trump's National Guard Troops From Its Lands

Lay one brick of the border wall and it will be the last of the Indian Wars, native Americans warn Trump

On a side note, the invasion of the Europeans has been compared to a horde of locusts, devouring and destroying everything within its path. Given the nature of locusts and the hordes' capacity to destroy and devour whatever is within its path, it is highly unlikely that any form of wall or barrier would have stopped the Europeans from coming into invade the ancestral homeland of Native Americans.

You are quite correct in understanding that I am completely unconcerned with what the tribe currently wants, However, that does not address my question of whether the tribe might have been better served by building a wall to secure its borders rather than ending up in the situation they now find themselves in. Just as any other illegal immigrant , I am more concerned with my own culture being predominate than the culture of those that my peers and I have displaced.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are quite correct in understanding that I am completely unconcerned with what the tribe currently wants, However, that does not address my question of whether the tribe might have been better served by building a wall to secure its borders rather than ending up in the situation they now find themselves in. Just as any other illegal immigrant , I am more concerned with my own culture being predominate than the culture of those that my peers and I have displaced.

I guess you didn't read my side note about if Native Americans had built a wall.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree with the President on this issue simply because there are other ways to protect our border than a wall/steel fence. A wall/fence might make sense in built-up areas, but not the full length of the border.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My great-grandmother was a full-blooded Shoshone, so unlike you I am concerned with tribal wants and needs.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stand with Trump on this. I think that it's ridiculous that the opposing party is refusing to budge on this just because they don't want to him to win anything he campaigned on.

Hi BFOHG,

Maybe you have more information on this issue than I do, but...

Most of the people, including Democratic leadership, are on record that they just don't think the plan does what the president is promising us that it will. One must, I think, consider that President Trump has often tried to paint issues in 'how I see it' rhetoric, and has quite often been wrong.

So, you're certainly welcome to stand with Trump, I have no problem with that, but I think your 'reason' that the Democratic party is refusing to budge, may not really be the truth of the matter.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Yes, willing.

Why.

To protect our country and to stand with all of the ones that have had family members hurt and killed by illegal immigrants. Ones that would still be alive if we would not have let these illegal ones enter our country or deported them instead of letting them hide out in sanctuary cities.
M-Bob
Given that 40% (5000) of the nation's 13000 FBI special agents, intelligence analysts and other staff have been "furloughed," just how is the nation safer from "illegal immigrants" and other forms of crime than the period that preceded this President's decision to initiate a federal shutdown?

In the Trump world of "alternate facts," are we now to believe that the FBI can provide the same level of service to "protect our country" when 40% of its staff are now sitting at home?

Trump tours border after repeating threat to call national emergency

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Given that 40% (5000) of the nation's 13000 FBI special agents, intelligence analysts and other staff have been "furloughed," just how is the nation safer from "illegal immigrants" and other forms of crime than the period that preceded this President's decision to initiate a federal shutdown?

In the Trump world of "alternate facts," are we now to believe that the FBI can provide the same level of service to "protect our country" when 40% of its staff are now sitting at home?

Trump tours border after repeating threat to call national emergency

They are still working correct.

Not a big deal their monies will be coming later.

Democrats could fix the situation in 5 minutes.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They are still working correct.
Not a big deal their monies will be coming later.
Democrats could fix the situation in 5 minutes.
M-Bob

President could have fixed the situation 21 days ago... obviously the "art of the deal" master and great negotiator are misplaced.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
President could have fixed the situation 21 days ago... obviously the "art of the deal" master and great negotiator are misplaced.

It seems that the majority are saying this is the fault of the Democrats. Once again I stand with the majority.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems that the majority are saying this is the fault of the Democrats. Once again I stand with the majority. M-Bob

According to polls, which obviously if not in your favor will be rejected, Americans blame the president...More Americans blame Trump for government shutdown: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters

It is somewhat mildly amusing that republicans constantly defend trump's lies, exaggerations, and false statements but when he states that he is "proud" to shut the government down and that he will take the blame...they still want to blame someone else. Why not take him at his "word"?

Upvote 0