• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willing or not to stand with Trump on the wall? Why? POLL

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mountainmanbob, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Not well enough informed to vote at this time

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+1,723
    Anglican
    Married
    No, firstly because it is an expense we can't afford that will add to our skyrocketing national debt that will fall upon our children and grandchildren. Secondly, it's effectiveness is highly questionable. It may slow the flow but the desperate will come over, under, or around that wall. Thirdly, the border is too long to effectively police the wall.

Let's stop spending money on walls and insane levels of defense spending and instead benefit our own people by securing the future of social security and providing universal health care like other developed countries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+5,980
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The money's in the past spent on walls and in the future would only be a drop in the bucket.

M-Bob

3. seeking.IAM

+1,723
    Anglican
    Married
    Our bucket is full.

4. Mountainmanbob

+5,980
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    From what I hear we could build the whole wall with less than what we spend in one half of one day. A drop in the bucket.

1/730 of the annual budget.

Let's get it done and move on to other things.

M-Bob

5. seeking.IAM

+1,723
    Anglican
    Married
    Where do you suppose that money is coming from and at the expense of what other budget line? We cut taxes but spend more. Even the goats can do that math.

6. Blood Bought 1953

Blood Bought 1953 Ned Flander’s Buddy

+1,322
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Such as impeachment?

7. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+12,408
    Christian
    Married
    I thought Mexico was going to pay for this? :scratch:
    tulc(thinks he heard someone saying that...repeatedly) :wave:

8. Mountainmanbob

+5,980
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Does not even relate if we do a little homework we will see next to Impossible.

Some seem to be on a
    mission impossible.

M-Bob

9. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,076
    Catholic
    Married
    I want to secure our borders but a wall doesn't solve the problem which we face. Drugs and illegal immigrants in the US mainly come in through ports of entry where walls already exist. A "fence" or "wall" does nothing to stop this.

Thus, we need to secure our ports of entry first.

A very small percentage of illegal aliens actually commit any crime other than being here illegally. Thus, Americans are far more likely to kill police officers or other Americans then illegal immigrants. Walls or fencing does almost nothing to stop senseless killings in the US.

Your California has a sanctuary law but counties can negate that in court and several have. At least one of the problems which led to a mass killing could have been avoided if that country had filed suit against the law and I haven't checked on the one where the police officer was recently killed. People want to place blame on the easy place and not looked at real measures.

God bless goats. :)

10. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+6,125
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    2/3 of undocumented immigrants arrived by plane and overstayed their visas. What does the "wall" do about them? In Trump's mind, maybe he thinks if they arrive by plane they are more likely to have some seed money...or be white...or speak English...maybe he thinks they are a better class of undocumented immigrant so we don't have to worry about them as much?

There are better ways to provide border security than a wall.

Truthfully, if Trump wants to discourage immigration, all he has to do is keep being Trump. Truthfully, if you were an immigrant looking for asylum would you choose a country led by someone like Trump? I certainly wouldn't.

11. barefeetonholyground

barefeetonholyground CF member for 15 years!

+444
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I stand with Trump on this. I think that it's ridiculous that the opposing party is refusing to budge on this just because they don't want to him to win anything he campaigned on.

12. seeking.IAM

+1,723
    Anglican
    Married
    There are several billions of other reasons.

13. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+12,408
    Christian
    Married
    ...I thought he campaigned that Mexico was paying for the wall? :scratch:
    tulc(is pretty sure he heard President Trump say that a couple of times) :wave:

14. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+3,866
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    When people fear contact with other cultures, fearing ours will be overwhelmed, they have no faith in America, where our culture assimilates and Americanizes the cultures of every immigrant group we've ever seen come here.

It's a loss of confidence in America and it's contrary to everything that made America great.

Fortunately, those frightened and despirited people are still in the minority in America.

And despite the president’s anti-immigration message, three in four Americans say immigration is generally good for the nation, according to Gallup, the polling organization.

“Americans’ strong belief that immigration is a good thing for the country and that immigration levels shouldn’t be decreased present the president and Congress with some tough decisions as the midterm elections loom,” Gallup said in a news release Thursday.
    www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/us/immigration-polls-donald-trump.html

15. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+2,739
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi MM,

My vote is no and my reason is that I think our problem with immigration is not going to be fixed by some wall. I also think that if border security in remote stretches of the border is necessary, that there are less expensive ways to accomplish that.

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

16. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+100,328
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Yup.

Standing.

17. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+746
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    No.

Not enough details on it's implementation and effectiveness and not during a government shutdown.

(a) How does he intended to deal with a wall that must go through private property? Will he be using eminent domain to confiscate property for a wall?
    (b) How will a wall help illegal immigration from people overstaying visas or coming in through airports?
    (c) How much does a government shutdown cost vs the cost of building a wall
    (d) Why should one use worker's paychecks as a political bargaining chip?
    (e) How does he intended to prevent people from going around, over, under or through a wall?
    (f) I also don't agree with doing it through declaring a "national emergency."

I question it's cost effectiveness, it's implementation, and it's functional effectiveness among other things and haven't seen details to satisfy those questions.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  18. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+3,866
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    This addresses a lot of the issues:

19. Queller

Queller I'm where?

+490
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Which culture is that?

20. Queller

Queller I'm where?

+490
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Our jobs are here. The profits from those jobs quite frequently go to foreign companies (Toyota, Nissan Ring a bell?).