Will you really go to hell if you commit suicide?

JI4M

Nov 7, 2018
Philadelphia
✟56,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Everyone,

I know this question has been asked a million times so thank you for answering if you do.

So if you commit suicide, will you got hell? And can you point me to passages in the Bible where this is talked about, especially about the hell part?

My daughter's father commited suicide years ago and I would like to know how to answer this when it comes up. I am also curious to know myself. It haunts me to think of him being in hell, however, don't sugar coat it for me. Tell me the truth because I really need to know the truth. Thank you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if you commit suicide, will you got hell? And can you point me to passages in the Bible where this is talked about, especially about the hell part?

You will get different answers from different people.

My own view is that suicide is a sin, but that Christians have all their sins forgiven through Jesus, including that one.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tell me the truth because I really need to know the truth

Simple truth, I don't known.

What evidence do you have that he was a Christian?
That is the real issue. Jesus knows through the indwelling spirit all about our thoughts, feelings and why we do things. So if he was a Christian and was suffering some mental illnes that caused him to take his life, then Jesus wil know that and forgivehim.
If he was just a cultural Christian with no personal faith then there would be no reason to think he would be in heaven.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will you really go to hell if you commit suicide?
There are two parts to your question.

Not all forms of suicide are self-murder, just like not all forms of killing somebody else [homicide] are murder. God will weigh extenuating circumstances that we have no access to.

Even if it WAS self-murder, it would depend on which model of Salvation is correct,
  • eternal security, or
  • conditional security.
(Threads about [self-murder] usually devolve to THAT debate pretty quickly.)
My daughter's father commited suicide years ago and I would like to know how to answer this when it comes up. I am also curious to know myself. It haunts me to think of him being in hell, however, don't sugar coat it for me. Tell me the truth because I really need to know the truth. Thank you.
The bottom line is that we just don't know, but it is not a chance that I would be willing to take (on purpose).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I only go by what the bible says... yes. My evidence? Well the main thing is the bible says we are not to harm out temples. Aka our bodies. Suicide is the ultimate harm. If we kill ourself then we are basically spitting on God and saying we don't care about His creation or our temples. Past that it also says we are to finish the race. So quitting early means we do not finish.

Now where I am unsure about is for example lets say someone who had really bad mental disabilities and they killed themselves. Would God make an exception since they do not comprehend things? I'd think so. Though I am referring to disabilities like severe mental retardation. Not depression...etc given you still know the difference between right and wrong.

Obviously its not like I take joy in saying suicide is a sin. It's terrible to hear. My own mother talks about suicide and I tell her not too because she will not end up where she thinks. If she does do it then I will feel bad of course, but I accept where she goes because she had the capacity to know what she was doing.

Accepting suicide sends you to hell is like accepting we won't see our pets in heaven. It's something beyond hard to accept because it doesn't seem fair. I know from my own pets passing that at first I refused to accept I won't see them again. But I grew to accept this life isn't about pets or anything like that. It's about spreading the Word.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

JI4M

Nov 7, 2018
Philadelphia
✟56,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If I only go by what the bible says... yes. My evidence? Well the main thing is the bible says we are not to harm out temples. Aka our bodies. Suicide is the ultimate harm. If we kill ourself then we are basically spitting on God and saying we don't care about His creation or our temples. Past that it also says we are to finish the race. So quitting early means we do not finish.

Now where I am unsure about is for example lets say someone who had really bad mental disabilities and they killed themselves. Would God make an exception since they do not comprehend things? I'd think so. Though I am referring to disabilities like severe mental retardation. Not depression...etc given you still know the difference between right and wrong.

Obviously its not like I take joy in saying suicide is a sin. It's terrible to hear. My own mother talks about suicide and I tell her not too because she will not end up where she thinks. If she does do it then I will feel bad of course, but I accept where she goes because she had the capacity to know what she was doing.

Accepting suicide sends you to hell is like accepting we won't see our pets in heaven. It's something beyond hard to accept because it doesn't seem fair. I know from my own pets passing that at first I refused to accept I won't see them again. But I grew to accept this life isn't about pets or anything like that. It's about spreading the Word.

What if your in severe, unbareable, excrutationg physical pain with no end in sight?

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That's a deep lost my condolences. Suicide is a deep subject, but nothing too deep for God so here we go..

Before I would have said absolutely, they go to Hell. But suicide is not this one sided act. I think its more important to look at the driving motive. It brings me back to Samson, where he knew that destroying the temple to kill off his enemies would mean he will die(Judges 16). By definition, its a suicide, but he gave his life. Jesus gave his life. The disciples gave his life. Except for Judas, he took his life. Judas felt guilty of what he done, but he took it on himself instead to ask for forgiveness, to take his own life. Other instances, the person may not be aware that they are committing suicide, such as a mental issue. Or they had no choice but to die.

But at the bare bones, our lives aren't ours to take away, that's God authority. If the motive isn't along God's will for us, then its against.God grants us choice, but we also have responsibility when we do make it, no matter how our emotions were. Life is just that much value.So idk the scenario was with your friend's father and I wouldn't know where he would have ended up. The most anyone can say is a probability, but God is the final decision maker.

For only him and God knew his final thoughts. Idk if in his final moments he called out to God or confess in his heart to believe in Jesus. And idk if he did, and the suicide was an act of defying what the Holy Spirit wants him to do. Idk if him going down that path was a result of walking down a path void of Jesus. For that is the only way of salvation, believing in Jesus and receiving of the Holy Spirit. That's why we must always pray and uplift one another, for we don't know where one is at spiritually at every single moment.

My encouragement for the friend is to appreciate the place that God put on her father's life, whether good or bad, because no matter where he ends up, he had a purpose and his live mattered. Carry on the lessons learn and let not those moments go in vain. Also to take comfort in Jesus, He is a comforter, He grieves with our spirit, God is not just The Judge, He's also The Father, and He will supply every need for her.These are the things that we can control. Death will always be our final enemy, it is never meant to be a solution or friend to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just give me the bible... not experiences !!

Mmmm... The authors of the bible wrote about their experiences...

My friend wanted to take her life - and Jesus spoke to her and said "If you take your life I wont love you any less..." !!!

That Word from above broke the oppression and set her free.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Everyone,

I know this question has been asked a million times so thank you for answering if you do.

well if you want a theological answer. Sin requires that you know that you are committing a sin, that you give rational thought to it and that you intentionally commit it. Now apply those requirements to a person who is so tortured that they can only think of one way to escape. It would not make any difference it this was physical pain or emotional pain. We cannot say for certain but that person is not likely thinking that they are committing a sin, they are likely in so much pain that their rational abilities are compromised, it is questionable if they even understand what they are doing. Only God know who goes to heaven but I think most of us can understand that God loves us so much that He only sends people to hell if that is where they want to go.

• Agree
Reactions: Emsmom1
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

it is "self murder". A sin for which there is almost no chance for repentance before the person dies.

But let's say for the sake of argument that the person is not responsible, not in their right mind, some other debilitating state where they themselves have lost control and are taking an action they would not take if they had the capacity to think... something extreme like that so that they "might" still end up in heaven... still it is high risk -- it is like saying if I die killing someone will I still go to heaven... very low "odds" on that but who knows what God will do in extreme cases ... a few might make it in.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
I've been to a suicide forum and I signed up out of curiosity. People there really commit suicide leaving a goodbye note and the time they are going to do it. Most of them are so depressed, are in so much pain, disabled, bed ridden, a vegetable, mentally ill, and such. They have a reason to end their life. There's also a post there in how to commit suicide peacefully and successfully by drinking an approved chemical mixture and it must be at the correct measurement. It's really crazy.

We really need to have a deeper understanding and compassion why some people want to end their life. I think it's really heartless to quote them verses from the Bible that condemn their actions and that they will go to hell, etc. They are already in a helpless and painful state, why put salt on a wound? We don't know their pain. Although we try our best to prevent it, but if they really want to go, just let them be. We just have to comfort them as they leave this world quietly and peacefully.

"We will all be there with you soon. Your bus just came a bit earlier. "

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Everyone,

If the individual is born again, then they are secure in Christ. They will not go to hell. They will miss out on the blessings of God's kingdom and the rewards that are given to those who are faithful. I've been within hours of suicide myself. In my case, it was an evil spirit goading me, trying to bring about a sense of hopelessness and filling me with self pity. God graciously intervened and I'm here to talk about it.

Very little is said about suicide in the Bible. It's not the unforgivable sin. Judas committed suicide when he realised what he had done. He was already the "son of perdition". Satan had filled his heart. Judas paid a terrible price. Those who are born again have already been redeemed. Lord Jesus paid the price for us.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
it is "self murder". A sin for which there is almost no chance for repentance before the person dies.

But let's say for the sake of argument that the person is not responsible, not in their right mind, some other debilitating state where they themselves have lost control and are taking an action they would not take if they had the capacity to think... something extreme like that so that they "might" still end up in heaven... still it is high risk -- it is like saying if I die killing someone will I still go to heaven... very low "odds" on that but who knows what God will do in extreme cases ... a few might make it in.
If the person is born again, they are forgiven and nothing they do can change their standing before God. They miss out on God's kingdom blessing and rewards, but they are secure in their salvation.

If the person was not born again, all they were doing is robbing themselves of opportunities to repent and believe and so be saved. They were hell bound anyway, sad to say.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So if you commit suicide, will you got hell?
I suggest careful consideration of this quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (emphasis added):
Suicide
Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

You all have my condolances for your loss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Everyone,

It haunts me to think of him being in hell

Hell is the grave where the deceased wait in a dormant sleep until the return of Jesus and then the 1st resurrection (of the saved) happens. Our Lord is not a tormentor! So don't let it haunt you.

Will he be among the saved? That is entirely up to Jesus and only He knows a persons heart. None of us knows the heart. Judgement unto salvation is only by Him and known to Him ... and we trust Him implicitly/absolutely in the matter.

May you be comforted and encouraged ...

1st Thessalonians 4

The Return of the Lord

13Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.

15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

18Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The problem I have with suggesting that a Believer who commits suicide somehow forfeits their Salvation, necessarily means that it is possible for us to perform a sin that is greater and more powerful than the atoning work of Christ on the cross. I'm personally a bit hesitant to want to make such an assertion.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Everyone,

OP question: Will you really go to hell if you commit suicide?

If you die without a relationship with Christ. Yes!

If you have been sealed/saved with God's gift of His indwelling Holy Spirit. Nothing can separate you from Christ. (Jn 10:27, Rom 8: 38-39)

Matt 12:
31 Jesus said, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
(NOTE: I believe the sin of suicide, falls within the "ALL manner of sin" that will be forgiven)

A person's eternal security is determined by, and only by, faith placed in Christ's finished sin atoning work (1 Cor 15:1-4, Eph 2:8-9, Rom 10:9).

Once a person via faith in Jesus sin payment & resurrection receives God's gift of His indwelling Holy Spirit they are forever sealed (2 Cor 1:22, 2 Tim 1:14, 2 Cor 5:5, Epp 4:30)

Moses murdered a soldier (we see him later on the Mt of Transfiguration) King david had Bathsheba's husband killed. Paul was the overseer of Stephen's deaths.

Christians are forgiven, not morally flawless. Unfortunately not immune to despair that leads to suicide. The enemy is a great deceiver (John 8:44) who wants us to forget that victory is ours in Christ (John 16:33).

Post is My Opinion Only.

Upvote 0

JI4M

Nov 7, 2018
Philadelphia
✟56,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

So does that mean, when it says "the dead", that the dead are the people who didn't go to heaven? Or is everyone dead who is dead until Jesus's second coming?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So does that mean, when it says "the dead", that the dead are the people who didn't go to heaven? Or is everyone dead who is dead until Jesus's second coming?

Or is everyone dead who is dead until Jesus's second coming?

Yes. Everyone is in fact dead and in the grave. Described as a sleep .... many many many verses about this .... and including Jesus himself describing death as a sleep (ie ..... the Lazarus account) and the apostle Paul as posted before.

When Jesus returns the 1st resurrection of the saved (in the grave) and the saved living at the time and all are taken to heaven.

• Agree
Upvote 0