Will you let the bible ...

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My religion, my faith is more wedded to being kind and showing compassion than it is to law and gospel, to justice and rightness. So I ask of my self "will you let the bible teach you to punish and to judge the 'world' casting some away?" which translates to will I let the bible teach me to be unkind and hard - to treat anyone badly because justice demands it or their faults deserve it?

1 Corinthians 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Last edited:

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How do you know that you should be kind?
I know that I desire to be judged by God with mercy and kindness

Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I know that I desire to be judged by God with mercy and kindness

Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
That’s the law.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Are the greatest commandments law?
The greatest commandment is also the greatest commandment of the gospel. It is the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The greatest commandment is also the greatest commandment of the gospel. It is the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
Commandment = law.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,387.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My religion, my faith is more weeded to being kind and showing compassion than it is to law and gospel, to justice and rightness. So I ask of my self "will you let the bible teach you to punish and to judge the 'world' casting some away?" which translates to will I let the bible teach me to be unkind and hard - to treat anyone badly because justice demands it or their faults deserve it?

1 Corinthians 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Will you put out every fire in the forest? Or will you be cruel and let the fires kill trees?

Put out all the fires in the forest and in 100 years the forest will be ready to burn everything down to the ground. Nothing will be left.

How have you been compassionate to that forest?

Did you ever wonder why God imposed controlled burns, like in forests, in Israel via the Shemitah and Jubilee years?

Nothing automatically wrong with some compassion, but there is more going on than meets the eye. Some things take decades, if not a few hundred years, to play out. Too much compassion is like putting out all the fires in a forest.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Commandment = law.

Indeed all will be judged by the law.

Romans 2:11-16

For God judges everyone by the same standard. The Gentiles do not have the Law of Moses; they sin and are lost apart from the Law. The Jews have the Law; they sin and are judged by the Law. For it is not by hearing the Law that people are put right with God, but by doing what the Law commands. The Gentiles do not have the Law; but whenever they do by instinct what the Law commands, they are their own law, even though they do not have the Law.

Their conduct shows that what the Law commands is written in their hearts. Their consciences also show that this is true, since their thoughts sometimes accuse them and sometimes defend them. And so, according to the Good News I preach, this is how it will be on that Day when God through Jesus Christ will judge the secret thoughts of all.

Romans 7:12
King James Bible
Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Commandment = law.
Really? Is that your vocabulary?

One remains in Christ's love by keeping Christ's commandments.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Really? Is that your vocabulary?

One remains in Christ's love by keeping Christ's commandments.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Right. That’s the law.

• Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Right. That’s the law.
There is a law of love mentioned in the scriptures, is that the law to which you refer as "the law"?
Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a law of love mentioned in the scriptures, is that the law to which you refer as "the law"?
Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

The 10 are laws of love.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My religion, my faith is more wedded to being kind and showing compassion than it is to law and gospel, to justice and rightness. So I ask of my self "will you let the bible teach you to punish and to judge the 'world' casting some away?" which translates to will I let the bible teach me to be unkind and hard - to treat anyone badly because justice demands it or their faults deserve it?

Why do you not consider being kind and showing compassion to be in accordance with the law and Gospel, to justice and righteousness? Which would do you think would be more kind and compassionate: a world where there is justice for everyone or a world where there is justice for no one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You just posted more laws.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why do you not consider being kind and showing compassion to be in accordance with the law and Gospel, to justice and righteousness? Which would do you think would be more kind and compassionate: a world where there is justice for everyone or a world where there is justice for no one?
Eternal punishment for a temporal sin or sins looks disproportionate.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Eternal punishment for a temporal sin or sins looks disproportionate.

There are interpretations on hell that do not involve eternal punishment. Though do you grant that God is has more knowledge, is wise, and more just than we are and that He might act in a way that we don't agree with?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are interpretations on hell that do not involve eternal punishment. Though do you grant that God is has more knowledge, is wise, and more just than we are and that He might act in a way that we don't agree with?
I grant all those things concerning God. The scriptures are not God and it is people who interpret the scriptures.

Upvote 0