Will you go to hell if you commit a unforgivable sin?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Jags, the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12:31-32; Mark 3:28-30) will not be forgiven, either in this age, or in the age to come, so yes, Hell/the Lake of Fire seems like the only place such sinners will end up.

--David

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps this short article will prove to be helpful.

54. THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN

That the Bible describes one sin as “unforgiveable” sparks fear in the hearts of those who worry that perhaps they have committed it. Although the gospel freely offers forgiveness to all who repent of their sins, there is a limit reached at the door of this one crime. The unforgiveable or unpardonable sin of which Jesus warned is identified as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Jesus declared that this sin cannot be forgiven either in the present or in the future:

Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (Matthew 12:31-32)

Various attempts have been made to identify the specific crime that is unforgiveable. It has been assigned to such grievous crimes as murder or adultery. However, though both of these sins are clearly heinous sins against God, the Scripture makes it clear that they may be forgiven if earnest repentance is made. David, for example, was guilty of both of them, yet he was restored to grace.

Frequently the unforgiveable sin is identified with persistent and final unbelief in Christ. Since death brings the end of a person’s opportunity to repent of sin and embrace Christ, the finality of unbelief brings the consequence of the termination of hope of forgiveness.

Though persistent and final unbelief does bring about such consequences it does not adequately explain Jesus’ warning concerning blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy is something one does with the mouth or the pen. It involves words.

Though any form of blasphemy is a serious assault on the character of God, it is usually regarded as forgiveable. When Jesus warned of the unforgiveable sin, it was in the context of His accusers declaring that He was in league with Satan. His warning was sober and frightening. Yet, on the cross Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of those who blasphemed against Him on the grounds of their ignorance, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34).

If, however, people are enlightened by the Holy Spirit to the degree that they know Jesus is truly the Christ, and then they accuse Him of being satanic, they have committed a sin for which there is no pardon. Christians left to their own devices are capable of committing the unpardonable sin, but we are confident that God in His preserving grace will restrain His elect from ever committing such a sin. When earnest Christians are fearful that perhaps they have actually committed this sin, it is probably an indication that they haven’t. Those who do commit such a sin would be so hardened of heart and abandoned in their sin as to feel no remorse for it.

Even in a pagan, secularized culture like our own, people seem to be reluctant to go too far in their blasphemy against God and Christ. Though the name of Christ is dragged through the mud as a common curse word and the gospel is ridiculed by irreverent jokes and comments, people still seem constrained to avoid linking Jesus with Satan.

Though the occult and Satanism provide a context of perilous danger for the commission of the unpardonable sin, if radical blasphemy occurs here it may still be forgiven because it is committed in ignorance by those unenlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Summary
1. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not to be equated with murder or adultery.
2. Blasphemy is an offense against God involving words.
3. Christ’s original warning was against attributing the works of God the Holy Spirit to Satan.
4. Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of blasphemers who were ignorant of His true identity.
5. Christians will never commit this sin because of the restraining grace of God.

Biblical passages for reflection:
Matthew 12:22-32
Luke 23:34
1 John 5:16

~Sproul, R. C. (1992). Essential truths of the Christian faith.

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jags

Apr 27, 2019
Seattle
✟32,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps this short article will prove to be helpful.

54. THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN

That the Bible describes one sin as “unforgiveable” sparks fear in the hearts of those who worry that perhaps they have committed it. Although the gospel freely offers forgiveness to all who repent of their sins, there is a limit reached at the door of this one crime. The unforgiveable or unpardonable sin of which Jesus warned is identified as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Jesus declared that this sin cannot be forgiven either in the present or in the future:

Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (Matthew 12:31-32)

Various attempts have been made to identify the specific crime that is unforgiveable. It has been assigned to such grievous crimes as murder or adultery. However, though both of these sins are clearly heinous sins against God, the Scripture makes it clear that they may be forgiven if earnest repentance is made. David, for example, was guilty of both of them, yet he was restored to grace.
Frequently the unforgiveable sin is identified with persistent and final unbelief in Christ. Since death brings the end of a person’s opportunity to repent of sin and embrace Christ, the finality of unbelief brings the consequence of the termination of hope of forgiveness.

Though persistent and final unbelief does bring about such consequences it does not adequately explain Jesus’ warning concerning blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy is something one does with the mouth or the pen. It involves words.

Though any form of blasphemy is a serious assault on the character of God, it is usually regarded as forgiveable. When Jesus warned of the unforgiveable sin, it was in the context of His accusers declaring that He was in league with Satan. His warning was sober and frightening. Yet, on the cross Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of those who blasphemed against Him on the grounds of their ignorance, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34).

If, however, people are enlightened by the Holy Spirit to the degree that they know Jesus is truly the Christ, and then they accuse Him of being satanic, they have committed a sin for which there is no pardon. Christians left to their own devices are capable of committing the unpardonable sin, but we are confident that God in His preserving grace will restrain His elect from ever committing such a sin. When earnest Christians are fearful that perhaps they have actually committed this sin, it is probably an indication that they haven’t. Those who do commit such a sin would be so hardened of heart and abandoned in their sin as to feel no remorse for it.

Even in a pagan, secularized culture like our own, people seem to be reluctant to go too far in their blasphemy against God and Christ. Though the name of Christ is dragged through the mud as a common curse word and the gospel is ridiculed by irreverent jokes and comments, people still seem constrained to avoid linking Jesus with Satan.

Though the occult and Satanism provide a context of perilous danger for the commission of the unpardonable sin, if radical blasphemy occurs here it may still be forgiven because it is committed in ignorance by those unenlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Summary
1. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not to be equated with murder or adultery.
2. Blasphemy is an offense against God involving words.
3. Christ’s original warning was against attributing the works of God the Holy Spirit to Satan.
4. Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of blasphemers who were ignorant of His true identity.
5. Christians will never commit this sin because of the restraining grace of God.

Biblical passages for reflection:
Matthew 12:22-32
Luke 23:34
1 John 5:16

~Sproul, R. C. (1992). Essential truths of the Christian faith.

--David
so what if someone goes away from god and doesn't believe him in him for a while then comes back would this be a unforgiveable sin?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
so what if someone goes away from god and doesn't believe him in him for a while then comes back would this be a unforgiveable sin?
Hi again Jags, please be sure to take note (in Dr. Sproul's article above), that blasphemy, whether it is forgivable or not, always involves the use of words on the part of the blasphemer.

Unbelief* during this life cannot be the unpardonable sin, because that's a sin that we Christians were all 1. guilty of before we became Christians and 2. now forgiven of since we became Christians. IOW, unbelief is a pardonable offense on this side of the grave, but the UN-pardonable sin is unlike any other, because it becomes an unpardonable offense from the moment that it's committed .. see Matthew 12:32 :eek:

*(If someone dies an unbeliever, whether they are under the law or without the law, they will be judged and condemned by God at the Great White Throne .. Romans 2:12-16; Revelation 20:11-15)

--David
p.s. - Satan LOVES to try to scare us with this sin. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you, but I think you should study it to learn as much about it as you can as time allows (both for your peace of mind, and to be able to quickly recognize the enemy's attacks whenever they come your way).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will be most happy to know that, under the grace dispensation, there is no more unforgivable sin.

Wrong. Apostasy (renouncing Christ) is unforgivable by God and we are even told in the book of Hebrews not to pray for people have committed that sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Apostasy (renouncing Christ) is unforgivable by God and we are even told in the book of Hebrews not to pray for people have committed that sin.
Hi Reborn1977, I've known several hardcore atheists over the years (two that come quickly to mind right here at CF, in fact) who had all renounced Christ, but they are now born again and love the Lord. There are many other similar stories as most, who became Christians as adults, spent a lot of years rejecting Christ as their Lord and Savior before they finally surrendered their lives to Him and became Christians.

So what does the kind apostasy/renouncing Christ that you're speaking of amount to (IOW, how does someone commit it, and how is it different from what the people I just mentioned above did)?

--David
p.s. - I was unable to locate a passage in Hebrews that tells us not to pray. Could you give us the reference for that? Thanks again.

Luke 12
10 Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. Apostasy (renouncing Christ) is unforgivable by God and we are even told in the book of Hebrews not to pray for people have committed that sin.

Let me ask you a question then. According to Romans 5:12-19, can an unbeliever renounce Satan and be free from him after that renouncement?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Will you go to hell if you commit a unforgivable sin?

The only unforgivable sin is neglecting to trust in Christ as your Saviour and Lord. If you fail to yield yourself to him in faith and love, you will be separated from God (and everyone else) forever.

Upvote 0

Jags

Apr 27, 2019
Seattle
✟32,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only unforgivable sin is neglecting to trust in Christ as your Saviour and Lord. If you fail to yield yourself to him in faith and love, you will be separated from God (and everyone else) forever.
What if you Come back to Jesus at some point and did the sin will u still go to hell?

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Reborn1977, I've known several hardcore atheists over the years (two that come quickly to mind right here at CF, in fact) who had all renounced Christ, but they are now born again and love the Lord. There are many other similar stories as most, who became Christians as adults, spent a lot of years rejecting Christ as their Lord and Savior before they finally surrendered their lives to Him and became Christians.

So what does the kind apostasy/renouncing Christ that you're speaking of amount to (IOW, how does someone commit it, and how is it different from what the people I just mentioned above did)?

--David
p.s. - I was unable to locate a passage in Hebrews that tells us not to pray. Could you give us the reference for that? Thanks again.

Luke 12
10 Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

The renunciation of Christ that is apostasy is not something an atheist can do. Many people have a great misunderstanding about what apostasy is and what renouncing Christ is. The only type of person who can commit apostasy, who can truly renounce Christ, is a person who has known Christ. Therefore, a person would have to have been a Christian and then renounced Christ after becoming a Christian in order to commit apostasy.

Apostasy – I John 5 address what we must understand about Christ to be saved, and makes it known that God Himself bears witness of these Truths in our own spirit. Next the issue of praying for those who are in sin is brought into play and we told to pray for all sin except “sin leading to death” a reference to apostasy the highest form of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost because the Spirit has already bore witness in your (a Christian's) spirit of the Truths about Jesus and you (a Christian) later deny them to be true.

True biblical apostasy is a very rare thing to have happen.

Apostasy is a very difficult subject to fully understand and it takes a collection of the Scriptures to address the issue. That said, there is a portion of the book of Hebrews that covers this issue and then in I John 5 we are told not to pray for this issue or a person so to speak who has committed apostasy. Note that Hebrews and I John are only a small portion of Scripture that touches on the issue of apostasy.

Please study 1 John 5 and Hebrews 5, 6, and 7 with special attention to chapter 6. If you want to better understand it would be best to study the entire book of Hebrews and 1 John.

Sidenote:
It has been wrongly taught for years that not accepting Christ as your Savior is the “unforgivable sin” and yes if you do not accept Christ as your Savior you will go to hell when you die, but it is not “technically” the quote-unquote “unforgivable sin” which is apostasy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask you a question then. According to Romans 5:12-19, can an unbeliever renounce Satan and be free from him after that renouncement?

Well, let me first say that this topic is not about renouncing Satan this topic is about renouncing Christ. I have no idea why you are using Romans 5:12-19 to address the issue of renouncing Satan. That passage is about how sin entered the world and our justification through Jesus.

Christ and the blood of Christ is the only thing that releases people from the bondage of Satan.
If you will refer to my blog on this forum you will find an entry titled "Generational Curses, Prayer To Renounce Evil, And Forgiveness" that might be helpful.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, let me first say that this topic is not about renouncing Satan this topic is about renouncing Christ. I have no idea why you are using Romans 5:12-19 to address the issue of renouncing Satan. That passage is about how sin entered the world and our justification through Jesus.

Christ and the blood of Christ is the only thing that releases people from the bondage of Satan.
If you will refer to my blog on this forum you will find an entry titled "Generational Curses, Prayer To Renounce Evil, And Forgiveness" that might be helpful.

My point is that, if you believe an unbeliever cannot renounce Satan and be rid of him after that, but you believe that somehow a Christian can renounce Christ and be rid of him, you are actually saying that Jesus's obedience on the cross is less powerful than Adam's disobedience.

Romans 5:12-19 specifically compare the 2 Adams' work.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....you are actually saying that Jesus's obedience on the cross is less powerful than Adam's disobedience.

That is not what I am saying, and it has nothing to do with apostasy. At this point I believe the conversation is a bit fruitless because you're trying to connect two things that are not connected. This topic is about the unforgivable sin, which is apostasy.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not what I am saying, and it has nothing to do with apostasy. At this point I believe the conversation is a bit fruitless because you're trying to connect two things that are not connected. This topic is about the unforgivable sin, which is apostasy.

Okay, why do you believe a Christian can renounce Christ and actually succeed in becoming unsaved?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What if you Come back to Jesus at some point and did the sin will u still go to hell?

Well, on what basis does God accept any of us? On the basis of how well we live? No. The Bible tells us that no one comes to be saved, no one is adopted by God as one of His children, by their good works.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are you saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God;
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

2 Timothy 1:9
9 Who has saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

You see, every person who is saved is corrupted by sin. "There is none righteous, no, not one," the Bible says. (Romans 3:10-11) All of us have fallen short of God's glory. (Romans 3:23) How, then, can any of us be good enough to meet God's standard for acceptance which is holy perfection? Well, we can't. Any good that we do is tainted by the evil we have done. We are corrupt, and selfish, and sinful and God cannot accept any of us as we are. Paul the apostle described every person who has yet to be saved. It's not a pretty picture:

Ephesians 2:1-3
1 And you has he quickened who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our living in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature children of wrath, even as others.

Every person, then, comes to God foul and filthy, in desperate need of cleansing. No one can get clean on their own. Soiled morally as people are, no amount of good living, no number of good deeds, can ever make anyone acceptable to God. This is why God has made a way through Jesus for each of us to be made acceptable to Himself. God has arranged it so that the perfect righteousness of Christ maybe imputed to us. We may "put on the Lord Jesus Christ," (Romans 13:14) be clothed in him and his righteousness, and so be made acceptable to God. Be clear, though: This is the ONLY way anyone is accepted by God. No one is ever accepted by Him on the basis of their right living.

So, why am I telling you all this? Because your question suggest that you aren't clear on what basis you gain acceptance with God. He will never accept you because you live right. He accepts you only because you are in Christ, you are a new creature in him, redeemed, justified and sanctified by him (1 Corinthians 1:30-31) and so made acceptable to God.

Here's the really important part: God always accepts the perfect Christ. And so, when a person is in Christ, clothed in his unchanging perfection, fully sanctified by him, their acceptance with God never changes, either. When a believer sins, then, God does not reject them, He does not cast them out. His acceptance of them had nothing to do with their performance and it never will. Asking, then, if one who is truly born-again can go to hell, reveals that you don't understand these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0