✟761,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

It says we will not be Male or female. Does that mean we will be transgender or sexless or something? And if that's the case, then what about the verse that says the effeminate will not I herit the kingdom of earth? Aren't sexless people typically effeminate looking in appearance?

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind

Personally I'm okay with being sexless in heaven.

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

It says we will not be Male or female. Does that mean we will be transgender or sexless or something? And if that's the case, then what about the verse that says the effeminate will not I herit the kingdom of earth? Aren't sexless people typically effeminate looking in appearance?

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind

Just because we have anti-discrimination laws, it doesn't mean we stop having gender, race, etc. The context is about our position in Christ and how those things cited in the verse do not prevent us entering the "holy of holies" (so to speak).

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟761,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just because we have anti-discrimination laws, it doesn't mean we stop having gender, race, etc. The context is about our position in Christ and how those things cited in the verse do not prevent us entering the "holy of holies" (so to speak).

Okay so you're saying that those distinctions won't necessarily disappear, they will just be irrelevant? Is that what this passage is saying in Gal 3:28m

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so you're saying that those distinctions won't necessarily disappear, they will just be irrelevant? Is that what this passage is saying in Gal 3:28m
Nothing is irrelevant in God's Kingdom. ;)

You have to see that passage within the context of being a Jew who is now a Christian. Do you understand the Temple layout? There was the place for women, the place for gentiles, the Holy of Holies where only the High Priest could enter. Depending on who/what you were, you could only enter that part of the Temple according to your "position" based on race, sex etc. With the Cross however, those distinctions have now been abolished in respect to your place in the Temple. All those in Christ can enter the Holy of Holies. We are no longer limited in our approach to God for our own bodies are now the temple of God.
Also the Galatian passage isn't referring to the eternal state. Paul is talking about the here and now. (although @Blade is right when he says there is no marriage in heaven, other than one marriage only, that of the Lord and His Church/Bride).

1 Corinthians 3:16
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I should also add, while I cannot think of any scripture that definitively points to the state of our gender in the eternal state, I am confident we will remain male and female. I certainly cannot imagine myself as anything other than a woman. :)

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NKJ Matthew 22:30 "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.

NKJ Mark 12:25 "For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't think anyone can answer that. It is certainly something to think about, given the logic behind it.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We do not have a physical body in Heaven. Our spiritual body looks the same as our physical body in our prime of life. I think there was someone that said we will not have a sex organ, as there would be no need for one. We will not have the hormones and the things that make us want to have sex. Men will still look like men and women will still look like women because our spiritual body is so close to our physical body.

Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I
We do not have a physical body in Heaven. Our spiritual body looks the same as our physical body in our prime of life. I think there was someone that said we will not have a sex organ, as there would be no need for one. We will not have the hormones and the things that make us want to have sex. Men will still look like men and women will still look like women because our spiritual body is so close to our physical body.
Why wouldn't we have physical bodies in Heaven when Our Lord has one? After he rose from the dead, he visited the upper room where he ate to show everyone there that he wasn't a ghost and invited doubting Thomas to put his hand into his, i.e., Christ's, wounded side. Our Savior told the good thief that he would be with Him in paradise. So I suggest that their souls went there because their bodies stayed on earth. I don't mean that either man was his soul. But some people talk about the souls of their departed loved ones as though those soul are the people they belong to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why wouldn't we have physical bodies in Heaven when Our Lord has one?
Yes and His grave is empty. There is no dead physical body in His tomb. There were 500 people resurrected at the time Jesus died at Calvery. We are told they talked to people then we do not hear anything more about them.

Matthew 27:51-53 (MSG)

At that moment, the Temple curtain was ripped in two, top to bottom. There was an earthquake, and rocks were split in pieces. What’s more, tombs were opened up, and many bodies of believers asleep in their graves were raised. (After Jesus’ resurrection, they left the tombs, entered the holy city, and appeared to many.)

Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea why you believe there are no material bodies in Heaven. Are you suggesting that Christ became a ghost when he resurrected? Only material objects occupy space. So since spirits don't do that, it's hard to know whether the "spiritual body" idea is even coherent. Catholics believe that glorified bodies are material bodies that with properties only a resurrected body can have, Some ancient heretics denied that Christ's resurrected body was a material one because they thought matter was evil.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea why you believe there are no material bodies in Heaven.
There maybe, but if their physical body is in Heaven is it not ALSO here on the earth. We do not have two bodies, we only have one. You need a dictionary so you can figure out the difference between rapture and resurrection. Just when do you think this resurrection is going to take place where your physical body will be raised up from sleeping?

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Some ancient heretics denied that Christ's resurrected body was a material one because they thought matter was evil.
Then they need to produce a body of they think that His physical body was not raised up from the dead. People do not realize what they say has to be able to stand up in a court of law. We have to have some sort of standard to establish the truth other than traditions because Jesus warns us about that.

Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There maybe, but if their physical body is in Heaven is it not ALSO here on the earth. We do not have two bodies, we only have one. You need a dictionary so you can figure out the difference between rapture and resurrection. Just when do you think this resurrection is going to take place where your physical body will be raised up from sleeping?
Bodies are living creatures and corpses are lifeless things that only seem asleep. Do you believe that after a cemetery employee cremated my corpse and buried the cremains, I'd sleep in the grave? Would I be sleeping in my casket if only my bones were there? In the Bible, "sleep" is a metaphor when it describes death.

In my opinion, Christ will resurrect my body when he returns to take the saved to heaven and send the damned to hell. Meanwhile, our immortal souls will survive our deaths. Some will see God face-to-face right away, others will be in purgatory until they're ready for that privilege, and the damned souls will suffer. Heaven, hell are places or conditions. They're conditions for disembodied souls because those souls don't occupy space. They're places for each person composed of a material body and an immaterial immortal soul. I think the Bible means the damned will be in hell when it says they'll get destroyed. If I'm right, God won't annihilate them., though he could do that.

"The rapture" is ambiguous. Some Protestants believe that Our Lord will take Christians to Heaven before the second coming. But that means that his "second coming" will be his third one instead. Catholics don't believe in the rapture in that sense of the phrase. We think that our immortal souls will survive between our deaths and the general resurrection when they'll rejoin their bodies. For us, destruction isn't annihilation. It's everlasting suffering hell. If you doubt that our souls survive when we die, please read this article.

Rome's Purgatory Museum

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

God forbid

No.
What Paul meant is referring to equal value to the Lord. Characteristics like ethnicity and gender don't go away.
There's just no separation between Jew and Gentile in being able to be the people of God, and both male and female are valued by God.

Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the verse means that anyone can be a Christian regardless of his race, sex, ethnic group, sexual orientation, and more.

What about gender identity disorder, same-sex attraction, and identifying as a nonhuman? I believe that since those things are unhealthy, no one will have them in heaven.

Some Bible translations say homosexuals won't go to heaven. Does that imply that merely feeling same-sex attractions will damn anyone? No, because a feeling isn't a sin. Those attractions may attempt someone to act out sexually. But the Bible tells me that God always gives us ways to resist temptations. It forbids homosexual sex, too. Sometimes, though, someone may not be to blame for something he does. For example, I won't be guilty of arson if a brain tumor makes me burn down my next-door neighbor's home.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the verse means that anyone can be a Christian regardless of his race, sex, ethnic group, sexual orientation, and more.

What about gender identity disorder, same-sex attraction, and identifying as a nonhuman? I believe that since those things are unhealthy, no one will have them in heaven.

Some Bible translations say homosexuals won't go to heaven. Does that imply that merely feeling same-sex attractions will damn anyone? No, because a feeling isn't a sin. Those attractions may attempt someone to act out sexually. But the Bible tells me that God always gives us ways to resist temptations. It forbids homosexual sex, too. Sometimes, though, someone may not be to blame for something he does. For example, I won't be guilty of arson if a brain tumor makes me burn down my next-door neighbor's home.
Well sermon on the mount does make some feelings sin.
Jesus equated lust to adultery, and anger to murder.

That is why I think it's impossible to achieve sinlessness in this life, because if our emotions themselves are sin (which fear (aside from fear of the lord) and simple lack of rejoicing are also sin), there's only so far you can go into deceiving yourself that you don't have those negative emotions.

There are commandments to always be thankful and always rejoicing and sometimes I literally CAN'T. So I'm always in sin.

Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well sermon on the mount does make some feelings sin.
Jesus equated lust to adultery, and anger to murder.

That is why I think it's impossible to achieve sinlessness in this life, because if our emotions themselves are sin (which fear (aside from fear of the lord) and simple lack of rejoicing are also sin), there's only so far you can go into deceiving yourself that you don't have those negative emotions.

There are commandments to always be thankful and always rejoicing and sometimes I literally CAN'T. So I'm always in sin.
Maybe we need to remember the difference between a temptation and whether we give in to it. In the 13th century, someone tried to tempt St. Thomas Aquinas by sending him a prostitute. So he chased her away with a hot poker. When I feel tempted to sin, I resist the temptation, and avoid it from then on. If I commit a sin, I confess it through my priest and ask God to protect me from temptations. We ask him to do that when we pray the Our Father, saying, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." Before Fr. Stamos lets me leave the confessional, I pray The Act of Contrition, "O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because I have offended thee, my God. I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and never to sin anymore."

Here's what my favorite Bible commentary says about Galatians 3.

Fr. Haydock's 19th-century Bible Commentary

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we need to remember the difference between a temptation and whether we give in to it. In the 13th century, someone tried to tempt St. Thomas Aquinas by sending him a prostitute. So he chased her away with a hot poker. When I feel tempted to sin, I resist the temptation, and avoid it from then on. If I commit a sin, I confess it through my priest and ask God to protect me from temptations. We ask him to do that when we pray the Our Father, saying, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." Before Fr. Stamos lets me leave the confessional, I pray The Act of Contrition, "O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But most of all because I have offended thee, my God. I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and never to sin anymore."

Here's what my favorite Bible commentary says about Galatians 3.

Fr. Haydock's 19th-century Bible Commentary
Traditions of men are not the same as words from Christ.

Matthew 5
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

so simply having the feeling inside is enough to have crossed the line.
even if you don't outwardly act on it.
even if you act contrary to it.

Upvote 0