True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do very strongly think a will to believe exists. Belief clearly opens up actions, and these possibilities might tempt a person (sometimes very strongly), but they don't dictate action. I may believe that my dog is outside, but this doesn't necessarily make me want to let him in; or I may believe there's food in the other room when I'm very hungry, and again that opens up possibilities for me but doesn't dictate my choice. Anyone who thinks belief dictates action is supplementing the psychology of belief with determinism.

But here's the other side often missed. Although belief opens up actions, actions also perpetuate belief. My wife and I went to Sedona, AZ for our honeymoon, and as a result of the experience I came to believe that Sedona was one of the best places on earth. But since I haven't been there in a few years, I don't believe that as strongly. However, if I had spent time there once per year, then each visit might have cemented the original strength of the belief more and more -- although it could also have caused the strength of this belief to wane given desensitization.

William James said that "as a rule we disbelieve all facts and theories for which we have no use." He refers to "hypotheses" as anything that can be proposed to a person's belief, and these hypotheses can be "live" or "dead" depending on this use:

...deadness and liveness in an hypothesis are not intrinsic properties, but relations to the individual thinker. They are measured by his willingness to act. The maximum of liveness in an hypothesis means willingness to act irrevocably. Practically, that means belief; but there is some believing tendency wherever there is a willingness to act at all.
A dead hypothesis for me is that there are a hundred angels that dance on a pinhead. I don't really care if this hypothesis were true, therefore it's dead to me. What determines the deadness? My willingness to act on it if it were true.

Compare this to philosopher Dallas Willard's notion of belief as referring to "inclinations of the will," i.e., belief involves action, without which it isn't belief. I believe in something only if it changes me in some way, otherwise I might accept or know something but not believe in it. This is what allows any college student to turn in a philosophy examination without it affecting his or her life despite knowledge on the subject.

Although belief requires action (compare James 2 in the New Testament: "faith without works is dead"), action doesn't necessarily require belief. This is where Pascal nails it:

You would like to attain faith and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed, taking the holy water, having masses said, etc. Even this will naturally make you believe, and deaden your acuteness.
Do you want to believe something (i.e., you have a hypothesis that is attractive to you but your reasoning prevents you from believing in it without this belief being irrational or false)? Then act as if it were true, and actions will (along with reasons and live hypotheses) create belief in you.

So I don't think we're passive when it comes to belief, and this understanding of belief only looks at one side of the coin: belief causing action, rather than action causing belief. Beliefs open up possibilities for action, but unless these possibilities are welded with hypotheses that are to some degree "live" to us, as William James said, and sometimes unless we act as if the beliefs are true, and unless we continually act according to the belief to keep it strong (as with my Sedona experience), then we won't stick with belief in anything in particular. Which are all ways of saying that we have a will when it comes to believing -- a will to believe.

Last edited:

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I do very strongly think a will to believe exists. Belief clearly opens up actions, and these possibilities might tempt a person (sometimes very strongly), but they don't dictate action. I may believe that my dog is outside, but this doesn't necessarily make me want to let him in; or I may believe there's food in the other room when I'm very hungry, and again that opens up possibilities for me but doesn't dictate my choice. Anyone who thinks belief dictates action is supplementing the psychology of belief with determinism.

But here's the other side often missed. Although belief opens up actions, actions also perpetuate belief. My wife and I went to Sedona, AZ for our honeymoon, and as a result of the experience I came to believe that Sedona was one of the best places on earth. But since I haven't been there in a few years, I don't believe that as strongly. However, if I had spent time there once per year, then each visit might have cemented the original strength of the belief more and more -- although it could also have caused the strength of this belief to wane given desensitization.

Or maybe it wouldn't have changed it in any measurable way in either direction. I'm not really feeling the predictive power of this idea.

Do you want to believe something (i.e., you have a hypothesis that is attractive to you but your reasoning prevents you from believing in it without this belief being irrational or false)? Then act as if it were true, and actions will (along with reasons and live hypotheses) create belief in you.

I really want to believe I can fly and walk through walls. I'm not going to take your advice on how to make that belief happen, though - reality has a fairly brutal sorting method to get rid of certain classes of counterfactual beliefs. Maybe it works better for beliefs which don't have any real consequences in reality - which is why it might work better for religious faith than it would for people who wish to believe they are immune to radiation.

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Desire motivates the creature. It doesn't matter what the creature believes, if he wants to do something contrary to what he believes is true, that he will do.
For instance, James 2.18, "The demons believe and tremble."

Belief does have an affect on how a person acts relative to the strength of the belief. If beliefs involve basically habits, then breaking with belief also means breaking with the inertia of a habit, which makes it more difficult. Desire goes against belief, sure, but there's also a counterpressure from belief against desire, and perhaps even a bit of counterdesire as well.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Belief does have an affect on how a person acts relative to the strength of the belief. If beliefs involve basically habits, then breaking with belief also means breaking with the inertia of a habit, which makes it more difficult. Desire goes against belief, sure, but there's also a counterpressure from belief against desire, and perhaps even a bit of counterdesire as well.
I'm not saying desire always goes against belief, but I would say that desire is inspired by belief. Also, beliefs can conflict. For instance, going to the dentist. I have a strong desire to avoid my next appointment because I believe it will be uncomfortable as previous visits. However, I also believe that visiting will yeild long term dental health. Therefore, since one desire trumps the other, I keep the appointment (albeit with trembling):)
Is this what you mean by counter-pressure?

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying desire always goes against belief, but I would say that desire is inspired by belief. Also, beliefs can conflict. For instance, going to the dentist. I have a strong desire to avoid my next appointment because I believe it will be uncomfortable as previous visits. However, I also believe that visiting will yeild long term dental health. Therefore, since one desire trumps the other, I keep the appointment (albeit with trembling):)
Is this what you mean by counter-pressure?

Yeah. I think desire is both oppositional to belief as well as flows from belief.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

William James said that "as a rule we disbelieve all facts and theories for which we have no use." He refers to "hypotheses" as anything that can be proposed to a person's belief, and these hypotheses can be "live" or "dead" depending on this use:

...deadness and liveness in an hypothesis are not intrinsic properties, but relations to the individual thinker. They are measured by his willingness to act. The maximum of liveness in an hypothesis means willingness to act irrevocably. Practically, that means belief; but there is some believing tendency wherever there is a willingness to act at all.
A dead hypothesis for me is that there are a hundred angels that dance on a pinhead. I don't really care if this hypothesis were true, therefore it's dead to me. What determines the deadness? My willingness to act on it if it were true.

Compare this to philosopher Dallas Willard's notion of belief as referring to "inclinations of the will," i.e., belief involves action, without which it isn't belief. I believe in something only if it changes me in some way, otherwise I might accept or know something but not believe in it. This is what allows any college student to turn in a philosophy examination without it affecting his or her life despite knowledge on the subject.

Although belief requires action (compare James 2 in the New Testament: "faith without works is dead"), action doesn't necessarily require belief. This is where Pascal nails it:

You would like to attain faith and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed, taking the holy water, having masses said, etc. Even this will naturally make you believe, and deaden your acuteness.

So I don't think we're passive when it comes to belief, and this understanding of belief only looks at one side of the coin: belief causing action, rather than action causing belief. Beliefs open up possibilities for action, but unless these possibilities are welded with hypotheses that are to some degree "live" to us, as William James said, and sometimes unless we act as if the beliefs are true, and unless we continually act according to the belief to keep it strong (as with my Sedona experience), then we won't stick with belief in anything in particular. Which are all ways of saying that we have a will when it comes to believing -- a will to believe.

I believe, a strong will to believe anything = a psychological need to believe something.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Yes, I do very strongly think a will to believe exists. Belief clearly opens up actions, and these possibilities might tempt a person (sometimes very strongly), but they don't dictate action. I may believe that my dog is outside, but this doesn't necessarily make me want to let him in; or I may believe there's food in the other room when I'm very hungry, and again that opens up possibilities for me but doesn't dictate my choice.
I am wondering who ever posited that a certain single belief A dictates a certain single action X. It´s a gross simplification of complex cause and effect processes.
Anyone who thinks belief dictates action is supplementing the psychology of belief with determinism.
You make it sound like determinism is a bad thing.

...or due to increasing first hand information about the place.

Compare this to philosopher Dallas Willard's notion of belief as referring to "inclinations of the will," i.e., belief involves action, without which it isn't belief.
James´ version sounds good to me, Willard´s however looks like an invalid reverse conclusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I might actually care if that is true......

If angels can be microscopic in size and so are demons too whom are formerly angels. If demons can be microscopic, then they could get inside our bodies and make us sick.

Not a dead hypothesis to me and maybe proof that disease could be caused by evil spirits..

In fact, when I became a Christian, I haven't gone sick since for 3 years now, I don't even take multivitamins or any kind of vitamins, except those naturally available in food.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Interesting topic. I think even a fetus is effected by its surroundings which causes it to react in certain ways. If those effects are positive it will have a positive effect on the fetus' will later when it grows to be one or two yrs old.

Positive effects can form a submissive will, whereas, negative effects can form a defiant will.

A submissive will is easier to train and teach what is right from wrong. When a child is taught what is right and wrong it will effect their actions and what they believe about their environment and themselves.

I've seen meth babies who are born drug addicts and who would have had a horrible life with their biological parents, go into my relatives foster home and be properly nurtured and taught how to behave and control their addictive tendancies.

So I think the positive and negative effects our environment has on us can greatly effect our will and desires, which inturn effects our beliefs.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
For me faith is not like any other belief, its the brain related example not of moving house, but moving country.

Imaginary pdf

"How Conversion toTheism rewires Cognitive Neurrobiology in a Radical Manner:

Abstract: Subjects were monitored usiong PET and fMRI before and after religious conversion and deconveion in a longitudinal study
"
(link)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums