• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Will this ever end??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sick of feeling like this. I've been anxious all week, and last night I had a horrible panic attack. I woke with anxiety and I feel on the verge of another panic attack. What is wrong with me? I don't know how to get rid of this feeling. I don't even know myself anymore. When I look in the mirror I don't recognize the person looking back at me. It's like someone crawled into my head and reprogrammed my mind. My body feels numb and exhausted. Help Please:(

KellyLeigh

Legend
Aug 13, 2005
✟22,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:hug: Nothing is wrong with you. Just like the rest of us here, you are not crazy for going through this. I know just how you feel, like someone else crawled into your head. Some days I just don't know what happened to me and when I became so stressed and anxious. You are not alone :hug:

One thing that helps me get through the episodes of anxiety that come right before a panic attack is singing one of my favorite hymns in my head, focusing on the words. This helps me because I'm focusing on words not the anxiety, I have to think to remember the words (I'm not very good at remembering songs), and the words themselves help sooth me because they are usually about how the Lord helps us and loves us. Someone else recommended to me in another thread here to do brain exercises when anxiety starts to come. Count back from 100 by 3s, do long division in your head, etc.

I will be sure to keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the Lord helps heal you from your anxiety and panic attacks :prayer: If you ever need anything or anyone to talk to, my PM box is always open

Reactions: KTKat
Upvote 0

FaithfulWife

Faithful wife to one
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟63,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My dear hubby has diagnosed Anxiety Disorder too, and there isn't much we can do. He feels like his heart is pounding out of his chest!!

But one thing we do that I think helps him a little is that when he's feeling panicky, I hold his hand. Yep we just sit and hold hands. I think the physical touch helps a little but it's not "smothering" like a hug could be. Someone is there.

~Faithful

Upvote 0

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Really reading, praying, singing, listening to music, a bath, hot tea, a walk, talking with a friend----whatever helps relax you is worth trying. I think a gentle handrub from a loved one is comforting. Praying, for me is the most effective thing I can do. KNOW He is with you and have no doubt that God can help.

You are not alone in your struggles.:hug:

Reactions: Amhacajo
Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have had Panic Disorder for 4 years now. Sometimes I can go weeks at a time without medication and without any anxiety. Sometimes I have it every minute of every day.

I have found that Xanax is not the best solution. It is too addictive and its effects are very short-term.

Valium works very well, as it is less physically addictive than Xanax by far and its effects can last up to several days.

Personally, I find that driving and simply having conversations with people, or being in a large group of people, calm me down a lot. Sitting still and concentrating on "calming down" only make it worse, because even if I'm thinking of being calm, I'm still basically thinking of the anxiety. So for me the best way to break the cycle is to simply do something that occupies your mind - play a video game, exercise, play a musical instrument, sing, anything like that.

Hope that helps. :)

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought I would come back to this thread. Lately I have been feeling depressed.
I feel like I go to bed feeling anxious, then I wake up feeling anxious. How do I snap out of this?? I've been having really bad depersonalization lately. When I look in the mirror, I barely recognize myself, I'm scared.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can be truly frightening to feel like you're "not yourself". I know, I've been there, too. When you're anxious and miserable for so long, you forget what it was like to be "you". But you ARE still you. I remember one day, I was feeling so tense and freaked out while sitting on my porch. I was trying to relax, trying to regain some perspective, and I just started saying out loud "My name is Vicky, I'm 30 years old, I live in Delaware, I like such and such", and I went down a list of FACTS about myself. That was my way of fighting back, and telling Satan that I AM MYSELF and he will not take my self identity in Christ!!! FEAR will not win.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The sad truth is that not everyone gets better from prayer alone. Sometimes brain chemistry is to blame, not Satan. In my opinion it is bad advice to tell someone to just keep praying and it will go away. Panic Disorder is a disease and not all disease can be cured by positive thinking or prayer.

Every individual is different. Some people can get over Panic Disorder by meditation, some by prayer, some by medication and therapy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi sweet recovery peepers. :hug: just popping into remind you that recovery is a safe zone. safe from debates, safe from confusing spiritual warfare with medical issues. ofcourse we are a christian site :bow: and want to both offer support and prayers and encouragements: we are also not professionals, can't diagnose, nore should attempt to drive our points across. the recovery community is lead by loving support and practical care.

recovery guidelines are posted in each forum:
http://christianforums.com/t6617097-new-recovery-guidelines.html

Recovery Guidelines.

General Rule:
  • Threads which are off topic for the individual forums are not allowed, and substantial derails of threads are not looked upon in a favorable fashion.
Guidelines:
  • Off-Topic subjects include creating posts or threads that are not about coping with, recovering from or advising someone about the topic areas of each Recovery Forum.
    One active fellowship thread and one devotional/inspirational thread that is not directly related to the subject of that forum is allowed per forum area.)
  • Endorsement of certain topics (Endorsement means you can't post to encourage someone to engage in these behaviors or indicate that they are acceptable choices.)
    • Drug use
    • Gambling
    • Polygamy
    • Extramarital or premarital sexual activity
    • Masochism/Sadism/inappropriate behavior with animals/Pedophilia or other paraphilia.
    • Masturbation
    • Homosexuality
    • Transsexualism
    • Abortion
    • Cigarette smoking
    • inappropriate contentography
    • Self-Injury/Suicide
    • Eating Disorders
    • Belief in reincarnation
    • Use of psychics, astrologers, etc.
Recovery is a place people come to stop doing these things and using the Christian faith to help cope with problems. Other areas of CF can be used for discussions of many of these topics including, in some cases, endorsement of them. Included in this rule is posting triggers to self harmful behaviors.

Recovery is a place for Christian peer support and help and not for professional care. Therefore these things are considered off topic:
  • Promoting yourself as an expert
  • Diagnosing
  • Offering treatment of any kind to other members
  • Prescribing over the counter remedies
  • Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, getting professional services or using hotlines or crisis lines
  • Discouraging the use of the Christian faith to cope with problems and struggles.
Recovery Staff feel very strongly that members need to seek out real life licensed professional services and local pastoral care in addition to asking for support and advice here.
  • Spiritual warfare
  • Ethical or moral discussions or debates.
These are considered off topic to Recovery. Other areas of CF deal with these topics. Members often get offended and hurt in these discussions.

General Rules:
  • Sharing of information about one's beliefs, for instance by quoting Bible verses or witnessing, is encouraged. Honest debate and discussion regarding the existence and nature of God is allowed and welcome. Mockery of Christians, Christians beliefs, and the Christian God are not.
  • Promotion of the religion or rituals of Satanism is strictly prohibited. Promotion is defined as the active attempt to sway others to Satanic beliefs and/or practices.
  • Flaming, baiting, trolling, or feeding trolls is not allowed. This also applies to groups. In other words, play nice, don't hurt others, nor call them names.
Guidelines:
  • Recovery staff considers it a flame to say someone who is using a "Christian faith symbol" is not a Christian, or implying he/she is not a good enough Christian just because they have different views or advice related to any problem they are seeking help for. It is very hurtful to imply that someone is sick, for example, because they are not a good enough Christian.
  • Recovery staff will remove posts that are intentional or unintentional hurtful to other people, harassing other members, disclosing personal information about others, or saying things about another person that you know is untrue. On rare occasions, members post things about themselves that are untrue. This is disrespectful to the other members
General Rule:
  • Don't spam in threads or sigs, don't promote get rich quick schemes anywhere on the site.
Guidelines:
  • Recovery staff considers it spam to post the same or nearly the same posts or threads in more then one area of Recovery Forums.
  • Recovery staff will remove posts and threads that advertise some business, ask for money, or direct someone to a website that you will earn some profit by this.
  • Recovery will remove personal contact information such as addresses, phone numbers and email addresses from public posts. You can post, "please pm me" instead to share that information.
General Rule:
  • Use the brain God gave you. Think before you post. Think about how your post may affect someone else.
Guidelines:
  • Recovery staff will remove posts or threads that we think could be harmful in any way to any member or group of members. Even if the post or thread might not be intentionally harmful.
  • Recovery staff will edit or remove posts that we see as being a trigger for someone who is trying to stop doing some behavior. For example, a post that might trigger someone to self injure, or a trigger for people with eating disorders.
  • Because of the risk of triggering suicidal thoughts in others, we remove threats and/or endorsement of suicide. This includes posting that another member others know have killed him/herself. If you are having thoughts about suicide but have no immediate plans or intentions your posts may be able to show. We want to allow you to have support from others but we must be careful not to have posts that might trigger others. Staff often error on the side of safety for other members in these situation. Please utilize local professional services such as calling 911, going to the emergency room or to a local medical clinic.
    When Staff remove suicidal posts or self harm posts of any kind from view we encourage the members involved to seek professional services in their local area and provide phone numbers to local crisis lines if available.
:hug: let's regroup and return to helping OP with supportive fellowship. :groupray:

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm so sick of feeling like this. I've been anxious all week, and last night I had a horrible panic attack. I woke with anxiety and I feel on the verge of another panic attack. What is wrong with me? I don't know how to get rid of this feeling. I don't even know myself anymore. When I look in the mirror I don't recognize the person looking back at me. It's like someone crawled into my head and reprogrammed my mind. My body feels numb and exhausted. Help Please:(

Theres nothing I can say to make this sound untrite:hug:

However dont forget to breath.

Part of the problem with anxiety is that we end up breathing really shallowly and as a result, the whole oxegyn exchange thing doesnt work properly, and we get a build up of CO2 in our bloodstream which makes us feel totally wierd and light headed. when we are anxious we tend to hunch over, and roll our shoulders, which crunches our diaphragm and makes it difficult to breath.

The ideal is if you are able to breathe in for 3 seconds (count 1, 2, 3) and breath out (and count 1. 2. 3). Also, if you are able when you are feeling really anxious, sit up straight in a chair with your feet flat on the floor so that your diaphragm and lungs are as open as possible and you can breath easier.

Upvote 0

Barnabas71

Veteran
Nov 4, 2006
✟11,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are certainly NOT the only person who suffers with this KTKat.

I have a similar problem. And notice I am about the only man posting here. I think there is a greater stigma if you are a man and suffer with it. I do not like talking about it that much - as I fear how people will perceive me. This is a bit of an anomaly, given the nature of what I have previously discussed and talked about within this forum.

It started many years ago, however it finally reached a head last summer at a Christian conference. I know the Lord is working in my life, slowly drawing me out of it, but often I just feel like giving up and walking (or should that be running) away from it. It has been especially hard the last few weeks at college. I love what I am studying, but find it really hard when this anxiety hits me. I should win an Oscar for my acting performance… the way I can keep how I feel reasonably will hidden. However, I am aware that lecture has become aware of my struggles in this department; and it has been made worse recently by another fellow student. A girl who fancies me. Yerr, this may sound funny, but it is not. She now sits next to me every single lesson. Often I just want to be left alone but she keeps engaging with me, trying to find endless things out about me. I do not know if I could trust her to open up about this. I know she is not a Christian by the way she blasphemes. If she WERE a Christian it would be a whole different ball game, in fact it would really help me. I am now convinced she may suspect about it, and I am worried that she will gossip or think I am mentally unbalanced or something. I am using higher education as a means of killing several birds with one stone. I need to get better qualified and the experience has certainly helped me improve other areas where the anxiety was previously a problem, but I just get so tired of these flare-ups. I think I am beating it then it returns with a bang! I am on half-term at the moment which is a welcome break, but am not particularly looking forward to going back the week after next. All I can do is keep focused on the Lord.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Barnabas71 I know how you feel with school. When I was in class I always felt like everyone was staring at me and they knew I was on the verge of a panic attack. It was so bad I had to drop out early last semester. I decided to take this semester off to clear my head and try to overcome this. I know I"m slowly getting better, and I owe most, or even all of it to this forum. You all have helped me so much! Good luck to you with you're lectures!
God Bless!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't see anyone say that a person should try to solve their anxiety problems through prayer alone. I just read each post again, and they all make various suggestions, and prayer is included among them.

God bless!

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't see anyone say that a person should try to solve their anxiety problems through prayer alone. I just read each post again, and they all make various suggestions, and prayer is included among them.

God bless!
The posts were deleted. Silver, please do not discuss mod action in threads.

KTKat, I am so glad that you have been finding your anxiety to be more tolerable. It's such a horrible way to live day to day, and I am thrilled that you have found something that works for you. :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.