Will there be a second chance for salvation after the Rapture?

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the following two links are much too lengthy to post here. They both fully endorse th meaning of the Greek word apoistasia and the Latin word discessio in 2 Thess.2:3, to be DEPARTURE in the context Paul wrote it in.

Attempting to interpret it otherwise, is a failure and a waste of time.

Pre-Trib Research Center -

http://www.pre-trib.org/data/pdf/Ice-TheDeparturein2Thess.pdf

Quasar92

from the link you provided...

"THE “DEPARTURE” IN 2 THESSALONIANS 2:3
Tom's Perspectives
by Thomas Ice
Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy
[departure] comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of

destruction,

—2 Thessalonians 2:3
In March 2004 I wrote a Pre-Trib Perspectives1 about why I believe the Greek word
apostasia was mistranslated in the King James Version as “a falling away” and the New
American Standard Bible
as “the apostasy.” Instead, the most accurate and therefore the

best translation should be “the departure.”"

Dr. Tommy Ice of the Pre-Trib Research center says "why I believe..."

Now that is an unbiased source of truth...

2Ti_4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Show me your Scriptural support to verify your views.

Quasar92

That's rich.

In my post #160 that you are quoting, I list no less than 13 passages supporting my view and you have not addressed a single one!

Go ahead and take each of those passages and explain why they don't mean what I contend and tell us what you believe they do mean.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Act 2:22  Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: (Who did Peter think he was talking to, when he called them "men of Israel" ?)

Rom 11:1  I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 

Gal 6:15  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. 
Gal 6:16  And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 

Heb 8:6  But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 
Heb 8:7  For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 
Heb 8:8  For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Mat 21:43  Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 

1Pe 2:4  To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 
1Pe 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 
1Pe 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. 
1Pe 2:7  Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 
1Pe 2:8  And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. 
1Pe 2:9  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (And what nation would that be?) 
(Exo_19:6  And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.)

1Pe 2:10  Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Rom 9:6  Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: 
Rom 9:7  Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 
Rom 9:8  That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 

The New Covenant is about Grace, instead of Race.
Any doctrine which puts an emphasis on race, is wrong, based on 1 Timothy 1:4.
Modern Dispensational Theology is one of many examples.

The Church IS NOT Israel. The Church consists of everyone who believes Jesus is our Lord and Messiah. Israel does not believe Jesus is either Lord or their Messiah.

The Church IS NOT Israelhttp://www.whyisrael.org/2010/11/22/the-church-is-not-israel/

Israel and the Church: the Differences

Rom.11:11 " Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their full inclusion bring!

13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches."

n.15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful.3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

Quasar92

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Tom's Perspectives
by Thomas Ice

destruction,

In March 2004 I wrote a Pre-Trib Perspectives1 about why I believe the Greek word
apostasia was mistranslated in the King James Version as “a falling away” and the New
American Standard Bible

2Ti_4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Of course Thomas Ice posted 2 Thess.2:3 as it is published in Bibles today. Why don't you post the theme of his views instead of your pseudo argument? Such as the following:

>>>t was noted in my previous article that the best translation for the Greek wordapostasias is “depart” or “departure.”

Gordon Lewis summarizes

the usage as follows:

The verb is used fifteen times in the New Testament. Of these fifteen, only
three have anything to do with a departure from the faith (Luke 8:
13; 1 Tim.4:1; Heb 3:12). The word is used for departing from iniquity (2 Tim. 2:19),
from ungodly men(1 Tim. 6:5), from the temple (Luke 2:27), from the body (2
Cor. 12:8), and from persons (Acts 12:10; Luke4:13).4 The mother of all Greek lexicon

Liddell and Scott defines apostasia
first as “defection,revolt;” then secondly as “departure, disappearance.”

Paul Lee Tan notes, “The definite article ‘the’ denotes that this will be a definite event,
. . .
Paul refers here to adefinite event which he calls ‘the departure,’and which will occur just before the startof the tribulation. This is the rapture of the church.”

The use of the article in this context is meant to denote a onetime event, which t
he rapture fits into. It is had to think of how the process of apostasy at the end of the
church age could be viewed by believers around the world as an identifiable, one time
event. However, this would not be a problem if that event were the rapture.
Further, how could an apostasy be a sign to the church since many New Testament Epistle swarn about apostasy in the first century and Jude
said it has arrived in his day (Jude 3<<<

which full endorses apostasia to mean DEPARTURE in the context it was written, in 2 Thess.2:3.by Paul,

Quasar02

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Tom's Perspectives
by Thomas Ice

destruction,

American Standard Bible

Review post #183.

Quasar92

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the following two links are much too lengthy to post here. They both fully endorse th meaning of the Greek word apoistasia and the Latin word discessio in 2 Thess.2:3, to be DEPARTURE in the context Paul wrote it in.

Attempting to interpret it otherwise, is a failure and a waste of time.

Quasar92
Any links whose content does not reference in whole or part the aforeprovided long-established standards in definitions and descriptions are themselves "a failure and waste of time." Any of the germane content from "HELPS" or "Strong's" is absent from those links. The words "HELPS" or "Strong's," which would be required for attribution purposes, are absent from those links.

Their content is thus "a failure and a waste of time". Attribution of quote, yourself.

Some reading for yourself.

Does Apostasia in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Refer to a ‘Physical Departure’ (i.e. the Rapture)?

Apostacia: What Modern Greeks say about "Apostacia" in 2 Thess 2:3.

2 Thess 2:3 in the Early Church Writings; How early Greek, Latin and Aramaic speaking Christians interpreted "Apostacia"/"Apostacy

The Latin Influence on 2 Thess 2:3

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any links whose content does not reference in whole or part the aforeprovided long-established standards in definitions and descriptions are themselves "a failure and waste of time." Any of the germane content from "HELPS" or "Strong's" is absent from those links. The words "HELPS" or "Strong's," which would be required for attribution purposes, are absent from those links.

Their content is thus "a failure and a waste of time". Attribution of quote, yourself.

Some reading for yourself.

Does Apostasia in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Refer to a ‘Physical Departure’ (i.e. the Rapture)?

2 Thess 2:3 in the Early Church Writings; How early Greek, Latin and Aramaic speaking Christians interpreted "Apostacia"/"Apostacy

The links I posted in 179 reflect ALL the views about this issue. You continue to squirm and dance with argunebnts that are completely refuted in them. None of the passages of Scripture you have posted will denograte apostasia and discession from meaning DEPARTURE, in 2 Thess.2:3, which those two links fully prove.

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another post with no scripture.

I know you want to change the subject, now that the truth has exposed the pre-trib doctrine to be false.

Please address the points I made, as to the Rapture, which is described in 1 Thessalonians 4, along with the resurrection of the dead in Christ, which takes place first, at His coming.

Here is the scripture that shows Jesus is coming WITH His Church, FOR His Church at His coming.

With His Church: Those who have died and are with Him in Heaven, to receive their glorified body.
  • For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:14

For His Church: He will come with His saints who are in Heaven, for His saints on Earth, so that all will be gathered together to be with Him, at His coming.
  • Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

• The antichrist is also destroyed by the brightness of this very same coming.

And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.
2 Thessalonians 2:8

JLB

I have fully provided you with my views that were all fully supportede by Scripture. Supposing you provide me with the Scriptures you refer to Jesus returning with His Church. Not those who previously died in Him.

Quasar92

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The links I posted in 179 reflect ALL the views about this issue. You continue to squirm and dance with argunebnts that are completely refuted in them. None of the passages of Scripture you have posted will denograte apostasia and discession from meaning DEPARTURE, in 2 Thess.2:3, which those two links fully prove.

Quasar92
Incidentally, unsurprisingly, the spatial departure view first appeared in 1895, making it another modernist speculation.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Rather, Israel and the Church are inseparable.

Israel is defined by faith and obedience. Always has been.

That you count the wicked sons of Abraham as Israel while rejecting that only the faithful sons of Abraham are Israel is wholly polar opposite to the scriptural teachings I have already referenced.

Address them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course Thomas Ice posted 2 Thess.2:3 as it is published in Bibles today. Why don't you post the theme of his views instead of your pseudo argument? Such as the following:

>>>t was noted in my previous article that the best translation for the Greek wordapostasias is “depart” or “departure.”

C.I. Scofield's Commentary:
2 Thessalonians 2:3

for that day
The order of events is:
(1) The working of the mystery of lawlessness under divine restraint which had already begun in the apostle's time (2Th_2:7).

(2) the apostasy of the professing church (2Th_1:3); (Luk_18:8); (2Ti_3:1-8).

(3) the removal of that which restrains the mystery of lawlessness (2Th_2:6); (2Th_2:7). The restrainer is a person -- "he," and since a "mystery" always implies a supernatural element,

(See Scofield) - (Mat_13:11),

this Person can be none other than the Holy Spirit in the church, to be "taken out of the way"; (2Th_2:7); (1Th_4:14-17).

(4) the manifestation of the lawless one (2Th_2:8-10); (Dan_7:8); (Dan_9:27); (Mat_24:15); (Rev_13:2-10).

(5) the coming of Christ in glory and the destruction of the lawless one (2Th_2:8); (Rev_19:11-21).

(6) the day of Jehovah (2Th_2:9-12); (Isa_2:12).

............................................................................................................................................
Albert Barnes Commentary:
Let no man deceive you by any means -
That is, respecting the coming of the Lord Jesus. This implies that there were then attempts to deceive, and that it was of great importance for Christians to be on their guard. The result has shown that there is almost no subject on which caution is more proper, and on which men are more liable to delusion. The means then resorted to for deception appear from the previous verse to have been either an appeal to a pretended verbal message from the apostle, or a pretended letter from him. The means now, consist of a claim to uncommon wisdom in the interpretation of obscure prophecies of the Scriptures. The necessity for the caution here given has not ceased.
For that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first - Until an apostasy (ἀποστασία apostasia) shall have occurred - the great apostasy. There is scarcely any passage of the New Testament which has given occasion to greater diversity of opinion than this. Though the reference seems to be plain, and there is scarcely any prophecy of the Bible apparently more obvious and easy in its general interpretation; yet it is proper to mention some of the opinions which have been entertained of it.

Some have referred it to a great apostasy from the Christian church, particularly on account of persecution, which would occur before the destruction of Jerusalem. The "coming of the Lord" they suppose refers to the destruction of the holy city, and according to this, the meaning is, that there would be a great apostasy before that event would take place. Of this opinion was Vitringa, who refers the "apostasy" to a great defection from the faith which took place between the time of Nero and Trajan.
Whitby also refers it to an event which was to take place before the destruction of Jerusalem, and supposes that the apostasy would consist in a return from the Christian to the Jewish faith by multitudes of professed converts. The "man of sin," according to him, means the Jewish nation, so characterized on account of its eminent wickedness.
Hammond explains the apostasy by the defection to the Gnostics, by the arts of Simon Magus, whom he supposes to be the man of sin, and by the "day of the Lord" he also understands the destruction of Jerusalem.
Grotius takes Caius Caesar or Caligula, to be the man of sin, and by the apostasy he understands his abominable wickedness. In the beginning of his government, he says, his plans of iniquity were concealed, and the hopes of all were excited in regard to his reign; but his secret iniquity was subsequently "revealed," and his true character understood.
Wetstein understands by the "man of sin," that it referred to Titus and the Flavian house. He says that he does not understand it of the Roman Pontiff, who "is not one such as the demonstrative pronoun thrice repeated designates, and who neither sits in the temple of God, nor calls himself God, nor Caius, nor Simon Gioriae, nor any Jewish impostor, nor Simon Magus."
Koppe refers it to the King mentioned in Dan_11:36. According to him, the reference is to a great apostasy of the Jews from the worship of God, and the "man of sin" is the Jewish people.

Others have supposed that the reference is to Muhammed, and that the main characteristics of the prophecy may be found in him.
Of the Papists, a part affirm that the apostasy is the falling away from Rome in the time of the Reformation, but the greater portion suppose that the allusion is to Antichrist, who, they say, will appear in the world before the great day of judgment, to combat religion and the saints. See these opinions stated at length, and examined, in Dr. Newton on the Prophecies, Dissertation xxii.
Some more recent expositors have referred it to Napoleon Bonaparte, and some (as Oldshausen) suppose that it refers to some one who has not yet appeared, in whom all the characteristics here specified will be found united.
Most Protestant commentators have referred it to the great apostasy under the papacy, and, by the "man of sin," they suppose there is allusion to the Roman Pontiff, the Pope. It is evident that we are in better circumstances to understand the passage than those were who immediately succeeded the apostles.
Eighteen hundred years have passed (written circa 1880’s) away since the Epistle was written, and the "day of the Lord" has not yet come, and we have an opportunity of inquiring, whether in all that long tract of time any one man can be found, or any series of men have arisen, to whom the description here given is applicable. If so, it is in accordance with all the proper rules of interpreting prophecy, to make such an application. If it is fairly applicable to the papacy, and cannot be applied in its great features to anything else, it is proper to regard it as having such an original reference. Happily, the expressions which are used by the apostle are, in themselves, not difficult of interpretation, and all that the expositor has to do is, to ascertain whether in any one great apostasy all the things here mentioned have occurred. If so, it is fair to apply the prophecy to such an event; if not so, we must wait still for its fulfillment.
The word rendered "falling away" (ἀποστασία apostasia, apostasy), is of so general a character, that it may be applied to any departure from the faith as it was received in the time of the apostles. It occurs in the New Testament only here and in Act_21:21, where it is rendered "to forsake" - "thou teachest all the Jews which are among us to forsake Moses" - apostasy from Moses - ἀποστασίαν ἀπὸ Μωῦσέως apostasian apo Mōuseōs. The word means a departing from, or a defection; see the verb used in 1Ti_4:1, "Some shall depart from the faith" - ἀποστήσονται apostēsontai; compare the notes on that passage; see also Heb_3:12; Luk_8:13; Act_5:37. The reference here is evidently to some general falling away, or to some great religious apostasy that was to occur, and which would be under one head, leader, or dynasty, and which would involve many in the same departure from the faith, and in the same destruction. The use of the article here, "the apostasy" (Greek), Erasmus remarks, "signifies that great and before-predicted apostasy." It is evidently emphatic, showing that there had been a reference to this before, or that they understood well that there was to be such an apostasy. Paul says 2Th_2:5, that when he was with them, he had told them of these things. The writers in the New Testament often speak of such a defection under the name of Antichrist; see Rev_13:14; 1Jo_2:18, 1Jo_2:22; 1Jo_4:3; 2Jo_1:7.
And that man of sin - This is a Hebraism, meaning a man of eminent wickedness; one distinguished for depravity; compare Joh_17:12; Pro_6:12, in Heb. The use of the article here - ὁ ἄνθρωπος ho anthrōpos - "the man of sin," is also emphatic, as in the reference to "the falling away," and shows that there is allusion to one of whom they had before heard, and whose character was well known; who would be the wicked one by way of eminence; see also 2Th_2:8, "that wicked" - ὁ ἄνομος ho anomos. There are two general questions in regard to the proper interpretation of this appellative; the one is, whether it refers to an individual, or to a series of individuals of the same general character, aiming at the accomplishment of the same plans; and the other is, whether there has been any individual, or any series of individuals, since the time of the apostle, who, by eminence, deserved to be called "the man of sin." That the phrase, "the man of sin," may refer to a succession of men of the same general character, and that it does so refer here, is evident from the following considerations:
(1) The word "king" is used in Dan_7:25; Dan_11:36, to which places Paul seems to allude, to denote a succession of kings.

(2) The same is true of the beast mentioned in Dan. 7; Dan. 8; and Rev. 13, representing a kingdom or empire through its successive changes and revolutions.
(3) The same is true of the "woman arrayed in purple and scarlet" Rev_17:4, which cannot refer to a single woman, but is the emblem of a continued corrupt administration.

(4) It is clear that a succession is intended here, because the work assigned to "the man of sin," cannot be supposed to be that which could be accomplished by a single individual. The statement of the apostle is, that there were then tendencies to such an apostasy, and that the "man of sin "would be revealed at no distant period, and yet that he would continue his work of "lying wonders" until the coming of the Saviour. In regard to this "man of sin," it may be further observed:
(1) That his appearing was to be preceded by "the great apostasy;" and,
(2) That he was to continue and perpetuate it. His rise was to be owing to a great departure from the faith, and then he was to be the principal agent in continuing it by "signs and lying wonders." He was not himself to originate the defection, but was to be the creation, or result of it. He was to rise upon it, or grow out of it, and, by artful arrangements adapted to that purpose, was to perpetuate it. The question then is, to whom this phrase, descriptive of a succession of individuals so eminent for wickedness that the name "the man of sin" could be applied, was designed by the spirit of inspiration to refer. Dr. Newton has shown that it cannot refer to Caligula, to Simon Magus, to the revolt of the Jews from the Romans, or to the revolt of the Jews from the faith, or to the Flavian family, or to Luther, as some of the papists suppose, or to one man who will appear just before the end of the world, as others of the Romanists suppose; see his Dissertations on the Prophecies, xxii, pp. 393-402; compare Oldshausen, in loc. The argument is too long to be inserted here. But can it be referred to the papacy? Can it denote the Pope of Rome, meaning not a single pope, but the succession? If all the circumstances of the entire passage can be shown to be fairly applicable to him, or if it can he shown that all that is fairly implied in the language used here has received a fulfillment in him, then it is proper to regard it as having been designed to be so applied, and then this may be numbered among the prophecies that are in part fulfilled.
The question now is on the applicability of the phrase "the man of sin" to the Pope. That his rise was preceded by a great apostasy, or departure from the purity of the simple gospel, as revealed in the New Testament, cannot reasonably be doubted by any one acquainted with the history of the church. That he is the creation or result of that apostasy, is equally clear. That he is the grand agent in continuing it, is equally manifest. Is the phrase itself one that is properly applicable to him Is it proper to speak of the Pope of Rome, as he has actually appeared, as "the man of sin?" In reply to this, it might be sufficient to refer to the general character of the papacy, and to its influence in upholding and perpetuating various forms of iniquity in the world. It would be easy to show that there has been no dynasty or system that has contributed so much to uphold and perpetuate sins of various kinds on the earth, as the papacy. No other one has been so extensively and so long the patron of superstition; and there are vices of the grossest character which have all along been fostered by its system of celibacy, indulgences, monasteries, and absolutions. But it would be a better illustration of the meaning of the phrase "man of sin," as applicable to the Pope of Rome, to look at the general character of the popes themselves. Though there may have been some exceptions, yet there never has been a succession of men of so decidedly wicked character, as have occupied the papal throne since the great apostasy commenced.
A very few references to the characters of the popes will furnish an illustration of this point. Pope Vagilius waded to the pontifical throne through the blood of his predecessor. Pope Joan (the Roman Catholic writers tell us) a female in disguise, was elected and confirmed Pope, as John VIII. Platina says, that "she became with child by some of those that were round about her; that she miscarried, and died on her way from the Lateran to the temple." Pope Marcellinus sacrificed to idols. Concerning Pope Honorius, the council of Constantinople decreed, "We have caused Honorius, the late Pope of Old Rome, to be accursed; for that in all things he followed the mind of Sergius the heretic, and confirmed his wicked doctrines." The Council of Basil thus condemned Pope Eugenius: "We condemn and depose Pope Eugenius, a despiser of the holy canons; a disturber of the peace and unity of the church of God; a notorious offender of the whole universal church; a Simonist; a perjurer; a man incorrigible; a schismatic; a man fallen from the faith, and a willful heretic."
Pope John II, was publicly charged at Rome with incest. Pope John XIII usurped the Pontificate, spent his time in hunting, in lasciviousness, and monstrous forms of vice; he fled from the trial to which he was summoned, and was stabbed, being taken in the act of adultery. Pope Sixtus IV licensed brothels at Rome. Pope Alexander VI was, as a Roman Catholic historian says, "one of the greatest and most horrible monsters in nature that could scandalize the holy chair. His beastly morals, his immense ambition, his insatiable avarice, his detestable cruelty, his furious lusts, and monstrous incest with his daughter Lucretia, are, at large, described by Guicciardini Ciaconius, and other authentic papal historians." Of the popes, Platina (a Roman Catholic) says: "The chair of Saint Peter was usurped, rather than possessed, by monsters of wickedness, ambition, and bribery. They left no wickedness unpracticed;" see the New Englander, April, 1844, pp. 285, 286. To no succession of men who have ever lived could the appellative, "the man of sin, be applied with so much propriety as to this succession. Yet they claim to have been the true "successors" of the apostles, and there are Protestants who deem it of essential importance to be able to show that they have derived the true "succession" through such men.
Be revealed - Be made manifest. There were, at the time when the apostle wrote, two remarkable things:
(1) That there was already a tendency to such an apostasy as he spoke of; and,
(2) There was something which as yet prevented the appearance or the rise of the man of sin; 2Th_2:7. When the hindrance which then existed should be taken out of the way, he would be manifested; see the notes on 2Th_2:7.
"The son of perdition." This is the same appellation which the Saviour bestowed on Judas; see it explained in the notes on Joh_18:12. It may mean either that he would be the cause of ruin to others, or that he would himself be devoted to destruction. It would seem here rather to be used in the latter sense, though this is not absolutely certain. The phrase, whichever interpretation be adopted, is used to denote one of eminent wickedness.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
C.I. Scofield's Commentary:

for that day
The order of events is:
(1) The working of the mystery of lawlessness under divine restraint which had already begun in the apostle's time (2Th_2:7).

(2) the apostasy of the professing church (2Th_1:3); (Luk_18:8); (2Ti_3:1-8).

(3) the removal of that which restrains the mystery of lawlessness (2Th_2:6); (2Th_2:7). The restrainer is a person -- "he," and since a "mystery" always implies a supernatural element,

(See Scofield) - (Mat_13:11),

this Person can be none other than the Holy Spirit in the church, to be "taken out of the way"; (2Th_2:7); (1Th_4:14-17).

(4) the manifestation of the lawless one (2Th_2:8-10); (Dan_7:8); (Dan_9:27); (Mat_24:15); (Rev_13:2-10).

(5) the coming of Christ in glory and the destruction of the lawless one (2Th_2:8); (Rev_19:11-21).

(6) the day of Jehovah (2Th_2:9-12); (Isa_2:12).

............................................................................................................................................
Albert Barnes Commentary:
Let no man deceive you by any means -
That is, respecting the coming of the Lord Jesus. This implies that there were then attempts to deceive, and that it was of great importance for Christians to be on their guard. The result has shown that there is almost no subject on which caution is more proper, and on which men are more liable to delusion. The means then resorted to for deception appear from the previous verse to have been either an appeal to a pretended verbal message from the apostle, or a pretended letter from him. The means now, consist of a claim to uncommon wisdom in the interpretation of obscure prophecies of the Scriptures. The necessity for the caution here given has not ceased.
For that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first - Until an apostasy (ἀποστασία apostasia) shall have occurred - the great apostasy. There is scarcely any passage of the New Testament which has given occasion to greater diversity of opinion than this. Though the reference seems to be plain, and there is scarcely any prophecy of the Bible apparently more obvious and easy in its general interpretation; yet it is proper to mention some of the opinions which have been entertained of it.

Some have referred it to a great apostasy from the Christian church, particularly on account of persecution, which would occur before the destruction of Jerusalem. The "coming of the Lord" they suppose refers to the destruction of the holy city, and according to this, the meaning is, that there would be a great apostasy before that event would take place. Of this opinion was Vitringa, who refers the "apostasy" to a great defection from the faith which took place between the time of Nero and Trajan.
Whitby also refers it to an event which was to take place before the destruction of Jerusalem, and supposes that the apostasy would consist in a return from the Christian to the Jewish faith by multitudes of professed converts. The "man of sin," according to him, means the Jewish nation, so characterized on account of its eminent wickedness.
Hammond explains the apostasy by the defection to the Gnostics, by the arts of Simon Magus, whom he supposes to be the man of sin, and by the "day of the Lord" he also understands the destruction of Jerusalem.
Grotius takes Caius Caesar or Caligula, to be the man of sin, and by the apostasy he understands his abominable wickedness. In the beginning of his government, he says, his plans of iniquity were concealed, and the hopes of all were excited in regard to his reign; but his secret iniquity was subsequently "revealed," and his true character understood.
Wetstein understands by the "man of sin," that it referred to Titus and the Flavian house. He says that he does not understand it of the Roman Pontiff, who "is not one such as the demonstrative pronoun thrice repeated designates, and who neither sits in the temple of God, nor calls himself God, nor Caius, nor Simon Gioriae, nor any Jewish impostor, nor Simon Magus."
Koppe refers it to the King mentioned in Dan_11:36. According to him, the reference is to a great apostasy of the Jews from the worship of God, and the "man of sin" is the Jewish people.

Others have supposed that the reference is to Muhammed, and that the main characteristics of the prophecy may be found in him.
Of the Papists, a part affirm that the apostasy is the falling away from Rome in the time of the Reformation, but the greater portion suppose that the allusion is to Antichrist, who, they say, will appear in the world before the great day of judgment, to combat religion and the saints. See these opinions stated at length, and examined, in Dr. Newton on the Prophecies, Dissertation xxii.
Some more recent expositors have referred it to Napoleon Bonaparte, and some (as Oldshausen) suppose that it refers to some one who has not yet appeared, in whom all the characteristics here specified will be found united.
Most Protestant commentators have referred it to the great apostasy under the papacy, and, by the "man of sin," they suppose there is allusion to the Roman Pontiff, the Pope. It is evident that we are in better circumstances to understand the passage than those were who immediately succeeded the apostles.
Eighteen hundred years have passed (written circa 1880’s) away since the Epistle was written, and the "day of the Lord" has not yet come, and we have an opportunity of inquiring, whether in all that long tract of time any one man can be found, or any series of men have arisen, to whom the description here given is applicable. If so, it is in accordance with all the proper rules of interpreting prophecy, to make such an application. If it is fairly applicable to the papacy, and cannot be applied in its great features to anything else, it is proper to regard it as having such an original reference. Happily, the expressions which are used by the apostle are, in themselves, not difficult of interpretation, and all that the expositor has to do is, to ascertain whether in any one great apostasy all the things here mentioned have occurred. If so, it is fair to apply the prophecy to such an event; if not so, we must wait still for its fulfillment.
The word rendered "falling away" (ἀποστασία apostasia, apostasy), is of so general a character, that it may be applied to any departure from the faith as it was received in the time of the apostles. It occurs in the New Testament only here and in Act_21:21, where it is rendered "to forsake" - "thou teachest all the Jews which are among us to forsake Moses" - apostasy from Moses - ἀποστασίαν ἀπὸ Μωῦσέως apostasian apo Mōuseōs. The word means a departing from, or a defection; see the verb used in 1Ti_4:1, "Some shall depart from the faith" - ἀποστήσονται apostēsontai; compare the notes on that passage; see also Heb_3:12; Luk_8:13; Act_5:37. The reference here is evidently to some general falling away, or to some great religious apostasy that was to occur, and which would be under one head, leader, or dynasty, and which would involve many in the same departure from the faith, and in the same destruction. The use of the article here, "the apostasy" (Greek), Erasmus remarks, "signifies that great and before-predicted apostasy." It is evidently emphatic, showing that there had been a reference to this before, or that they understood well that there was to be such an apostasy. Paul says 2Th_2:5, that when he was with them, he had told them of these things. The writers in the New Testament often speak of such a defection under the name of Antichrist; see Rev_13:14; 1Jo_2:18, 1Jo_2:22; 1Jo_4:3; 2Jo_1:7.
And that man of sin - This is a Hebraism, meaning a man of eminent wickedness; one distinguished for depravity; compare Joh_17:12; Pro_6:12, in Heb. The use of the article here - ὁ ἄνθρωπος ho anthrōpos - "the man of sin," is also emphatic, as in the reference to "the falling away," and shows that there is allusion to one of whom they had before heard, and whose character was well known; who would be the wicked one by way of eminence; see also 2Th_2:8, "that wicked" - ὁ ἄνομος ho anomos. There are two general questions in regard to the proper interpretation of this appellative; the one is, whether it refers to an individual, or to a series of individuals of the same general character, aiming at the accomplishment of the same plans; and the other is, whether there has been any individual, or any series of individuals, since the time of the apostle, who, by eminence, deserved to be called "the man of sin." That the phrase, "the man of sin," may refer to a succession of men of the same general character, and that it does so refer here, is evident from the following considerations:
(1) The word "king" is used in Dan_7:25; Dan_11:36, to which places Paul seems to allude, to denote a succession of kings.

(2) The same is true of the beast mentioned in Dan. 7; Dan. 8; and Rev. 13, representing a kingdom or empire through its successive changes and revolutions.
(3) The same is true of the "woman arrayed in purple and scarlet" Rev_17:4, which cannot refer to a single woman, but is the emblem of a continued corrupt administration.

(4) It is clear that a succession is intended here, because the work assigned to "the man of sin," cannot be supposed to be that which could be accomplished by a single individual. The statement of the apostle is, that there were then tendencies to such an apostasy, and that the "man of sin "would be revealed at no distant period, and yet that he would continue his work of "lying wonders" until the coming of the Saviour. In regard to this "man of sin," it may be further observed:
(1) That his appearing was to be preceded by "the great apostasy;" and,
(2) That he was to continue and perpetuate it. His rise was to be owing to a great departure from the faith, and then he was to be the principal agent in continuing it by "signs and lying wonders." He was not himself to originate the defection, but was to be the creation, or result of it. He was to rise upon it, or grow out of it, and, by artful arrangements adapted to that purpose, was to perpetuate it. The question then is, to whom this phrase, descriptive of a succession of individuals so eminent for wickedness that the name "the man of sin" could be applied, was designed by the spirit of inspiration to refer. Dr. Newton has shown that it cannot refer to Caligula, to Simon Magus, to the revolt of the Jews from the Romans, or to the revolt of the Jews from the faith, or to the Flavian family, or to Luther, as some of the papists suppose, or to one man who will appear just before the end of the world, as others of the Romanists suppose; see his Dissertations on the Prophecies, xxii, pp. 393-402; compare Oldshausen, in loc. The argument is too long to be inserted here. But can it be referred to the papacy? Can it denote the Pope of Rome, meaning not a single pope, but the succession? If all the circumstances of the entire passage can be shown to be fairly applicable to him, or if it can he shown that all that is fairly implied in the language used here has received a fulfillment in him, then it is proper to regard it as having been designed to be so applied, and then this may be numbered among the prophecies that are in part fulfilled.
The question now is on the applicability of the phrase "the man of sin" to the Pope. That his rise was preceded by a great apostasy, or departure from the purity of the simple gospel, as revealed in the New Testament, cannot reasonably be doubted by any one acquainted with the history of the church. That he is the creation or result of that apostasy, is equally clear. That he is the grand agent in continuing it, is equally manifest. Is the phrase itself one that is properly applicable to him Is it proper to speak of the Pope of Rome, as he has actually appeared, as "the man of sin?" In reply to this, it might be sufficient to refer to the general character of the papacy, and to its influence in upholding and perpetuating various forms of iniquity in the world. It would be easy to show that there has been no dynasty or system that has contributed so much to uphold and perpetuate sins of various kinds on the earth, as the papacy. No other one has been so extensively and so long the patron of superstition; and there are vices of the grossest character which have all along been fostered by its system of celibacy, indulgences, monasteries, and absolutions. But it would be a better illustration of the meaning of the phrase "man of sin," as applicable to the Pope of Rome, to look at the general character of the popes themselves. Though there may have been some exceptions, yet there never has been a succession of men of so decidedly wicked character, as have occupied the papal throne since the great apostasy commenced.
A very few references to the characters of the popes will furnish an illustration of this point. Pope Vagilius waded to the pontifical throne through the blood of his predecessor. Pope Joan (the Roman Catholic writers tell us) a female in disguise, was elected and confirmed Pope, as John VIII. Platina says, that "she became with child by some of those that were round about her; that she miscarried, and died on her way from the Lateran to the temple." Pope Marcellinus sacrificed to idols. Concerning Pope Honorius, the council of Constantinople decreed, "We have caused Honorius, the late Pope of Old Rome, to be accursed; for that in all things he followed the mind of Sergius the heretic, and confirmed his wicked doctrines." The Council of Basil thus condemned Pope Eugenius: "We condemn and depose Pope Eugenius, a despiser of the holy canons; a disturber of the peace and unity of the church of God; a notorious offender of the whole universal church; a Simonist; a perjurer; a man incorrigible; a schismatic; a man fallen from the faith, and a willful heretic."
Pope John II, was publicly charged at Rome with incest. Pope John XIII usurped the Pontificate, spent his time in hunting, in lasciviousness, and monstrous forms of vice; he fled from the trial to which he was summoned, and was stabbed, being taken in the act of adultery. Pope Sixtus IV licensed brothels at Rome. Pope Alexander VI was, as a Roman Catholic historian says, "one of the greatest and most horrible monsters in nature that could scandalize the holy chair. His beastly morals, his immense ambition, his insatiable avarice, his detestable cruelty, his furious lusts, and monstrous incest with his daughter Lucretia, are, at large, described by Guicciardini Ciaconius, and other authentic papal historians." Of the popes, Platina (a Roman Catholic) says: "The chair of Saint Peter was usurped, rather than possessed, by monsters of wickedness, ambition, and bribery. They left no wickedness unpracticed;" see the New Englander, April, 1844, pp. 285, 286. To no succession of men who have ever lived could the appellative, "the man of sin, be applied with so much propriety as to this succession. Yet they claim to have been the true "successors" of the apostles, and there are Protestants who deem it of essential importance to be able to show that they have derived the true "succession" through such men.
Be revealed - Be made manifest. There were, at the time when the apostle wrote, two remarkable things:
(1) That there was already a tendency to such an apostasy as he spoke of; and,
(2) There was something which as yet prevented the appearance or the rise of the man of sin; 2Th_2:7. When the hindrance which then existed should be taken out of the way, he would be manifested; see the notes on 2Th_2:7.
"The son of perdition." This is the same appellation which the Saviour bestowed on Judas; see it explained in the notes on Joh_18:12. It may mean either that he would be the cause of ruin to others, or that he would himself be devoted to destruction. It would seem here rather to be used in the latter sense, though this is not absolutely certain. The phrase, whichever interpretation be adopted, is used to denote one of eminent wickedness.

BABerean2 wrote the following quote from the Scofield Bible:

>>>(3) "the removal of that which restrains the mystery of lawlessness (2Th_2:6); (2Th_2:7). The restrainer is a person -- "he," and since a "mystery" always implies a supernatural element,"

""this Person can be none other than the Holy Spirit in the church, to be "taken out of the way"; (2Th_2:7); (1Th_4:14-17)."<<<

That "person" is the One Body of Christ, consisting of all believers who have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, the human agent for the HS on earth. They will be taken out of the way, confirming the POSTASIA/DEPARTURE in verse 3.

Of course Scofield quoted 2 Thess.2:3 as it had been translated since being altered from Departure, to falling away in 1611 A.D. What else would he quote?

Review post #180 for the articles fully supporting DEPARTURE in 2 Thess.2:3, rather than apostasy or falling away, for the context it is written in.

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rather, Israel and the Church are inseparable.

Israel is defined by faith and obedience. Always has been.

That you count the wicked sons of Abraham as Israel while rejecting that only the faithful sons of Abraham are Israel is wholly polar opposite to the scriptural teachings I have already referenced.

Address them.

You will need Scriptural support to verify your above opinions. Keep in mind, Israel rejected Jesus as their Messiah, and has been decreed to go through the tribulation because of it. They will not recognize Him as their Messiah, until Jesus second coming WITH His Church from heaven, recorded in Rev.19:14, Zech.12:10 and 14:4-5. While the One Body of Christ all believe in Him as Lord and Savior, and will not go through the tribulation, as recorded in Jn.14:2-3, 28; 1 Thess.4:16-17 and 2 hess.2"3 and 7-8.

Israel are non-believers while the Church are all believers. Does that sound like they are inseparable? I don't think so.

Quasar92

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That "person" is the One Body of Christ, consisting of all believers who have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, the human agent for the HS on earth. They will be taken out of the way, confirming the POSTASIA/DEPARTURE in verse 3.

"Preempted long before by Paul, in 2 Thess.2:3, as recorded in the following:"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course Scofield quoted 2 Thess.2:3 as it had been translated since being altered from Departure, to falling away in 1611 A.D. What else would he quote?

Scofield could have used at the 1599 Geneva Bible, which was the Bible the Pilgrims brought to America.
That is what else he could have quoted...

Let no man deceive you by any means: (3) for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and (e) that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(3) The apostle foretells that before the coming of the Lord, there will be a throne set up completely contrary to Christ's glory, in which that wicked man will sit, and transfer all things that appertain to God to himself: and many will fall away from God to him.

(e) By speaking of one, he singles out the person of the tyrannous and persecuting antichrist.

.......................................................................................

Daniel 9:27

And he (a) shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to (b) cease, (c) and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

(a) By the preaching of the Gospel he affirmed his promise, first to the Jews, and after to the Gentiles.

(b) Christ accomplished this by his death and resurrection.

(c) Meaning that Jerusalem and the sanctuary would be utterly destroyed because of their rebellion against God, and their idolatry: or as some read, that the plague will be so great, that they will all be astonished at them.

Here are several different versions...

(CJB)  Don't let anyone deceive you in any way. For the Day will not come until after the Apostasy has come and the man who separates himself from Torah has been revealed, the one destined for doom.

(ESV)  Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

(Geneva)  Let no man deceiue you by any meanes: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that that man of sinne be disclosed, euen the sonne of perdition,

(GW)  Don't let anyone deceive you about this in any way. That day cannot come unless a revolt takes place first, and the man of sin, the man of destruction, is revealed.

(LITV-TSP)  Do not let anyone deceive you in any way, because that Day will not come unless first comes the falling away, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

(KJV)  Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(KJV+)  Let noG3361 manG5100 deceiveG1818 youG5209 byG2596 anyG3367 means:G5158 forG3754 that day shall not come, exceptG3362 there comeG2064 a falling awayG646 first,G4412 andG2532 that manG444 of sinG266 be revealed,G601 theG3588 sonG5207 of perdition;G684

(NKJV)  Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

(YLT)  let not any one deceive you in any manner, because—if the falling away may not come first, and the man of sin be revealed—the son of the destruction,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Greek term 'apostasia' in 2 Thes.2:3 means 'departure'

Here Mr. Wuest discusses 2Thes 2:3, specifically the meaning of "apostasia." He asserts that it should be translated as 'departure' with reference to the rapture of the church. I have never come across this in any translation and I wonder if it is a correct exegesis of this verse?

"The words =93a falling away=94 are the Authorized Version rendering of apostasia. The verbal form afistamai from which it comes is present middle of afisthmi, the root verb, which we will study. The simple verb Jisthmi inits intransitive sense means =93 to stand,=94 the prefixed preposition means=93 off, away from,=94 and the compound verb, =93 to stand off from.=94 The=word does not mean =93 to fall.=94 The Greeks had a word for that, piptw. Afisthmi, in=its various uses, is reported by Thayer as follows: =93 to make stand off, cause=to withdraw, to stand off, stand aloof, to desert, to withdraw from one=94; in contexts where a defection from the faith is in view, it means =93to fall away, become faithless.=94 The verb is rendered by the translators of the Authorized Version =93 to depart,=94 in Luke 2:32; Luke 4:13; Luke 13:27;=Acts 12:10; Acts 15:38; Acts 19:9; Acts 22:29; 2 Corinthians 12:8; 1 Timothy 4:1;2 Timothy 2:19; Hebrews 3:12. In Luke 8:13 it is translated =93 fall away,=94 in Acts 5:37, =93 drew away,=94 and in Acts 5:38, =93 refrain.=94 Had they translated the word here instead of interpreting it, they would have rendered it by the word =93 departure =94. The reader will observe that the predominant=translation of the verbal form is =93 to depart,=94 also, that where it is translated =93 fall away,=94 the context adds the idea of =93 falling away =94 to the verb, which =action is still a departure.

E. Schuyler English, to whom this present writer is deeply in debted for calling his attention to the word =93 departure=94 as the correct rendering=ofapostasia in this context, also informs us that the following translators understood the Greek word to mean =93a departure=94 in this context: Tyndale(1534), Coverdale (1535), the Geneva Bible (1537), Cranmer (1539), and Beza(1565), and so used it in their translations. Apostasia is used once more inthe New Testament and is translated =93 to forsake=94 (AV), signifying a departure. The neuter noun apostasion in Matthew 5:31; Matthew 19:7; and Mark 10:4 is rendered by the Authorized Version, =93 divorcement,=94 which=word also signifies a departure, here, from antecedent relations.

The writer is well aware of the fact that apostasia was used at times bothin classical and koine Greek in the sense of a defection, a revolt in a religious sense, a rebellion against God, and of the act of apostasy. Liddell and Scott in their classical lexicon give the above as the first definition of the word. Moulton and Milligan quote a papyrus fragment where the word means =93a rebel.=94. But these are acquired meanings of the word=gotten from the context in which it is used, not the original, basic, literal meaning, and should not be imposed upon the word when the context does not qualify the word by these meanings, as in the case of our Thessalonians passage, where the context in which apostasia is embedded does not refer to a defection from the truth but to the rapture of the church. The fact that our word =93 apostasy=94 means a defection from the truth is entirely beside=the point since we do not interpret Scripture upon the basis of a transliterated word to which a certain meaning has been given, but upon the basis of what the Greek word meant to the first century reader. The fact that Paul in 1Timothy 4:1 uses this verb in the words =93 some shall depart from the faith==94 and finds it necessary to qualify its meaning by the phrase =93 from the faith=94 indicates that the word itself has no such connotation. The translators of the Authorized Version did not translate the word, but offered their interpretation of it. They should have translated it and allowed the student to interpret it in its context.

With the translation of the word before us, the next step is to ascertain from the context that to which this departure refers. We note the presence of the Greek definite article before apostasia, of which the translation takes no notice. A Greek word is definite in itself, and when the article is used the exegete must pay particular attention to it. =93. The basal function=of the article is to point out individual identity. It does more than mark =91 the object as definitely conceived,=92 for a substantive in Greek is definite without the article.=94. This departure, whatever it is, is a particular one,one differentiated from all others. Another function of the article is =93 todenote previous reference.=94. Here the article points out an object the identity of which is defined by some previous reference made to it in the context.=94 Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2:1 has just spoken of the coming of the Lord. This coming is defined by the words =93 our gathering together unto=him,=94 not as the second advent, but as the rapture. The Greek word rendered =93 and=94 can also be translated =93 even,=94 and the translation reads, =93 the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, even our gathering together unto him.=94.

The article before apostasia defines that word by pointing to =93 the gathering together unto him =94 as that departure. This article determines the context which defines apostasia. The translators took the context of 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 as deciding the significance of the word, but they went too far afield, not grasping the function of the definite article preceding apostasia which points back to the rapture of 2 Thessalonians 2:2, not ahead to the refusal to believe the truth of 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12. The article is all-important here, as in many instances of its use in the Greek New Testament. In 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Paul had given these saints teaching on the rapture, and the Greek article here points to that which was well known to both the reader and the writer, which is another use of the Greek definite article. Thus, the departure of the church from earth to heaven must precede the great tribulation period. And we have answered our questions again. It might be added that the reason why Paul merely speaks of a pre-tribulation rapture rather than a pre-seventieth week rapture is that he is addressing himself to the needs of the Thessalonian saints and is not explaining the particular place of the rapture in the prophetic program of God."

By Kenneth S. Wuest

From: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/archives/96-12/0863.html

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scofield could have used at the 1599 Geneva Bible, which was the Bible the Pilgrims brought to America.

Let no man deceive you by any means: (3) for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and (e) that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(3) The apostle foretells that before the coming of the Lord, there will be a throne set up completely contrary to Christ's glory, in which that wicked man will sit, and transfer all things that appertain to God to himself: and many will fall away from God to him.

(e) By speaking of one, he singles out the person of the tyrannous and persecuting antichrist.

.......................................................................................

And he (a) shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to (b) cease, (c) and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

(a) By the preaching of the Gospel he affirmed his promise, first to the Jews, and after to the Gentiles.

(c) Meaning that Jerusalem and the sanctuary would be utterly destroyed because of their rebellion against God, and their idolatry: or as some read, that the plague will be so great, that they will all be astonished at them.

(CJB)  Don't let anyone deceive you in any way. For the Day will not come until after the Apostasy has come and the man who separates himself from Torah has been revealed, the one destined for doom.

(ESV)  Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

(Geneva)  Let no man deceiue you by any meanes: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that that man of sinne be disclosed, euen the sonne of perdition,

(GW)  Don't let anyone deceive you about this in any way. That day cannot come unless a revolt takes place first, and the man of sin, the man of destruction, is revealed.

(LITV-TSP)  Do not let anyone deceive you in any way, because that Day will not come unless first comes the falling away, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

(KJV)  Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

(KJV+)  Let noG3361 manG5100 deceiveG1818 youG5209 byG2596 anyG3367 means:G5158 forG3754 that day shall not come, exceptG3362 there comeG2064 a falling awayG646 first,G4412 andG2532 that manG444 of sinG266 be revealed,G601 theG3588 sonG5207 of perdition;G684

(NKJV)  Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

(YLT)  let not any one deceive you in any manner, because—if the falling away may not come first, and the man of sin be revealed—the son of the destruction,

BABerien2 wrote: >>>Scofield could have used at the 1599 Geneva Bible, which was the Bible the Pilgrims brought to America.
That is what else he could have quoted..

(Geneva)  Let no man deceiue you by any meanes: for that day shall not come, except there come a departing first, and that that man of sinne be disclosed, euen the sonne of perdition,<<<

TAKE NOTE of the CORRECT wording the Geneva Bible interpreted APOSTASIA and DISCESSIO...as DEPARTURE! Precisely what I have been saying all along!

The above opinions are meaningless without providing the source from which it comes verifying it. It is not difficult to understand why Scofield would not seek advise from you.

Quasar92

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have fully provided you with my views that were all fully supportede by Scripture. Supposing you provide me with the Scriptures you refer to Jesus returning with His Church. Not those who previously died in Him.

Quasar92

You have only "provided" your opinion, and have refused to discuss the points I have made about His coming, which are:

1. The Resurrection of the dead in Christ.
  2. The Rapture
  3. The destruction of the antichrist.

These are the things that occur at His coming.

• Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 Thessalonians 2:1
  • And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 2 Thessalonians 2:8

The coming of the Lord to gather together His people unto Himself; the resurrection/rapture is the same coming that destroys the antichrist.

In addition you have also been shown that His coming for the Church is also His coming with His Church.

Here is the scripture that shows Jesus is coming WITH His Church, FOR His Church at His coming.

With His Church: Those who have died and are with Him in Heaven, to receive their glorified body.
  • For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:14

For His Church: He will come with His saints who are in Heaven, for His saints on Earth, so that all will be gathered together to be with Him, at His coming.
  • Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

JLB

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Review my post #197 along with the following links, proving the interpretation of apostasia and discessio in 2 Thess.2:3, means DEPARTURE:

Quasar92

Upvote 0