Will the Supreme Court Decision Fundamentally Change the 2022 Election?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let us pray....

Analysis: The Supreme Court may have just fundamentally altered the 2022 election (msn.com)

On the one hand, I am tremendously disappointed that this is what it will take to motivate progressive voters. After all, the conservative Supreme Court has allowed corporations to buy elections by equating them with "persons" in the Citizens United decision. It has decimated the Voting Rights Act of 1964. And let's not forget that they handed the presidency to George W. Bush. Shame on you, progressives! This court has been shaping our nation into an authoritarian oligarchy bit by bit over the years and it takes this to mobilize you?

We endured four years of a presidency that I can only sum up with the words, "Never again." And yet, the former president continues to have far too much influence over a complicit Republican Party.

On the other hand, mobilizing the progressive base is so desperately necessary with our democracy at stake that I will accept whatever motivates progressive voters gratefully.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟309,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It shouldn't be what motivates progressive voters, not while the threat of extream right wing policies are still out there.

I always vote, and I wish every progressive would vote, and every American for that matter. Far to many of these elections have low voter turnout allowing far to few people to decide who gets in office.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, let us pray and thank God for the children whose lives will be saved by this decision.

Will it effect the mid terms, I hope so. When people see the sheer violence and hatred of some of the radicals on the left, their eyes will be further opened to the evil reality we are experiencing today.

Wait. How many businesses will be burned to the ground? How many lives will be impacted? It has already begun. The calls for violence against the Justices and their families.

Let’s pray for their safety and the person who leaked this information to be brought to Justice.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟212,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No
--Independents never really seem to care about abortion like the solid right or solid left does. They like a middle ground on the issue & are turned off by what they call the extreme right & the extreme left positions on abortion. This won't motivate them any more or any less.
--Even before this I wasn't seeing this as a Red Wave like many of my conservative friends are. I think the country's getting more & more liberal. Example: AZ is following the path of CO, NM, & NV. In the South, GA, NC, & VA are gone if not soon to be gone. The Republicans are barely competitive in WI & MI.
--The Red states will vote in Red officials, the Blue states will vote in Blue officials, the Purple states it's gonna depend on the candidate, probably a moderate.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The demonstration i saw was all younger white women who would be very unlikely to resort to violence.
And Dragon Fox, I see young people as the ones who will rise up. Young men as much as young women.
Youth vote in smaller numbers than any other group, but I think that will change in November.
They see the right as trashing the environment, increasing income inequality, and suppressing what they see as their rights.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal prediction is it will not. While it could swing middle voters heavily to the Democratic side, given that basically 2/3 of the population support first trimester abortion and many Republican lead states are enacting near bans on the procedure entirely, I don't think it will. Why not? Because the Democratic Party will respond by proposing national legislation that essentially makes abortion legal throughout the entire pregnancy, which is almost universally opposed by the population. The result is it will take abortion out of the debate for the middle or perhaps even push the middle slightly to the Republican side.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
On the other hand, mobilizing the progressive base is so desperately necessary with our democracy at stake that I will accept whatever motivates progressive voters gratefully.
It sets a bad precedent. If the leak was a Democrat wanting to do that, and if it appears to work, then Republicans will add that play to the playbook.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The only person I've heard as a possible suspect is Ginni Thomas, because of the many controversies surrounding 1/6 and her years of leading conservative 'think tanks.'

That doesn't mean she is, but hers is the only name I've heard mentioned.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it changes the election much. I think the GOP will continue to use abortion as a potential threat issue of the evil the Democrats might do given a majority just like they use "Democrats are going to take your guns", although none ever have.

With primary season my television has been full of Republican campaign ads. They all follow the same tired formula: "I'm a Christian who will protect the unborn and your 2nd amendment rights." Nothing else. (Yeah, that's interesting, so what else you got?)

It's rather laughable in a primary. If I want to vote Republican, I have to choose which Christian I want that will defend the unborn and my second amendment rights. There are several to pick from, and nothing to differentiate them. Not that it matters much cause they'll all vote the same anyway.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We always assume there is a silent majority, but they don't come out to vote--and as the avalanche of voter suppression laws show, Republicans want to keep it that way.
Many of them are young. They graduate from college with few jobs open in their areas of study. They pay student loans for years, making it hard for them to own homes or start families. No parental leave. They need two incomes but childcare costs are like a mortgage. They are the generation that won't do as well as their parents, economists say.
They distrust our institutions, but they are learning that the more they sit things out, the worse things get.
They tell progressive boomers like me that we're not moving fast enough for them.
Look for the squad to become a battalion. They were sleeping, but they're woke now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think it will. Things move so fast that this will likely be out of the news cycle in a week. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as a deciding issue in November. The economy is still bad, inflation is horrible, gas prices just shot back over $4 a gallon, and Biden's numbers are in the toilet. If anything, this leak (which isn't even a final decision) is meant to be a distraction from all of that and supposedly fire up the base. The Democrats typically do something like this every election cycle, whether it's #metoo or BLM. This time it will be abortion rights.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟190,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Democrats typically do something like this every election cycle, whether it's #metoo or BLM. This time it will be abortion rights.

You say this like defending the rights of black citizens and women is a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You say this like defending the rights of black citizens and women is a bad thing.
That's not what they are doing. It's a scam to stir up votes and promptly goes away after the election is over. Then they recycle the next big scam when things aren't going their way at the next election cycle. Suddenly black people getting killed by police isn't a big problem when Democrats are in office. Nor does the me too movement care when Biden is accused of sexually assaulting a woman. It's all a show.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the fight for abortion rights will softly fizzle out into a faint whisper, and will be forgotten in time after a single generation.

...I see the left giving-up the fight.

Forcing raped 14 year olds to have a child will continue to be an issue.

Arguably, Republicans on the Supreme Court need to take the win and exclude rape, incest, and the life of the mother. I suspect that the leak is all about softening the language and effect of the coming ruling.
There are many Republicans who are salivating at the idea of forcing raped teenagers to have children. But this is the view of a small minority of Americans.

As an aside, the Democrats have had 50 years to secure a legislative solution in Congress, and have failed to do so. Given how much legislation has been passed in 50 years, the issue is either lack of leadership, or that the Congress truly cannot agree on the idea of allowing abortions, except perhaps for the obvious exceptional cases. There is logic behind the idea that the legal status of abortion is a legislative matter, as is murder, rape or a myriad of other actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bigoink

EVA
May 1, 2022
WA
✟12,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Arguably, Republicans on the Supreme Court need to take the win and exclude rape, incest, and the life of the mother. I suspect that the leak is all about softening the language and effect of the coming ruling.
There are many Republicans who are salivating at the idea of forcing raped teenagers to have children. But this is the view of a small minority of Americans.

As an aside, the Democrats have had 50 years to secure a legislative solution in Congress, and have failed to do so. Given how much legislation has been passed in 50 years, the issue is either lack of leadership, or that the Congress truly cannot agree on the idea of allowing abortions, except perhaps for the obvious exceptional cases. There is logic behind the idea that the legal status of abortion is a legislative matter, as is murder, rape or a myriad of other actions.
The only problem with this argument is that fewer than 1% of abortions are due to women being raped or incest being involved.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We should probably preface "14 year olds" with "poor."
Overturning Roe will be an inconvenience for women or teens with money who seek abortions. It will just be interstate medical tourism.
It will be an insurmountable obstacle for the poor.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is up to the states to decide what the abortion laws will be, the court does not make law.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If anything, this leak (which isn't even a final decision) is meant to be a distraction from all of that and supposedly fire up the base.

Interestingly, as I read across the spectrum, the right is speculating it was someone from the left who did so to fire up the base. The left is speculating it was someone from the right who was trying to make it hard for the Justices to later water down that strongly worded early draft. It will be interesting to see who leaked it (assuming Roberts is able to find out).

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interestingly, as I read across the spectrum, the right is speculating it was someone from the left who did so to fire up the base. The left is speculating it was someone from the right who was trying to make it hard for the Justices to later water down that strongly worded early draft. It will be interesting to see who leaked it (assuming Roberts is able to find out).
Yeah I don't understand the argument that someone from the right leaked it. It would be easier to maintain tough language before a leak and before any reactions. Now with angry protestors pounding down your door and sending death threats its easier to give in and go lighter

Upvote 0