Will the Democrats loose their majority in the Senate?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Since entering the Senate in 2019, she has distanced herself from the Democratic Party with her refusal to toe its leadership’s partisan line.​
The dissident Democrat blocked partisan plans to abolish the Senate’s filibuster, preventing Senate Democrats from ramming through legislation to the president’s desk with only 50 votes.​
Sinema also declined to campaign for Democrats in the recent midterm elections and was the only Arizona Democrat to skip a pre-election rally with former President Barack Obama.​

Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia reportedly said in early 2021 that he would leave the Democratic party and caucus with Senate Republicans if there was a change in leadership and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was no longer in charge.​
The claim comes in an upcoming book by reporters Alex Burns and Jonathan Martin of The New York Times and was highlighted on Twitter on Wednesday by CNN's chief congressional correspondent, Manu Raju.​
In the passage from This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America's Future, Burns and Martin write that some Republican senators approached Manchin about leaving the Democratic Party in the wake of an interview Vice President Kamala Harris had given in West Virginia.​

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia reportedly said in early 2021 that he would leave the Democratic party and caucus with Senate Republicans if there was a change in leadership and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was no longer in charge.
Well.....

“I would be shocked if Kevin McCarthy was not the Speaker,” said Kevin R. Kosar, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. “He won the vote within the conference pretty heartily and quite frankly there is no Plan B.”

But Mitch did win the Minority leader position again.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, guess what?’

She left the Democratic Party.
Sounds like she intends to still caucus with the Democrats so they will maintain a 51-49 control of the Senate.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How will they do that when they just lost a Democrat?

From your link:

Provided that Sinema sticks to that vow, Democrats will still have a workable Senate majority in the next Congress, though it will not exactly be the neat and tidy 51 seats they assumed.​
Sanders (VT) is not a Democrat.

Angus (ME) is not a Democrat.

Both caucus with the Democrats.

If Sinema were to choose to caucus with the Republicans, the Senate would be back to 50-50. That won't happen. The whole point of being an Independent is to prepare her campaign as an Independent in 2024. She has little chance in either party, but a reasonable chance as an Independent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sinema is unlikely to win regardless of party. Democrats would be wise to nominate someone else.
Manchin is wedded to his spoiler status, something he'll never have as a Republican.

I disagree. Sinema wins her races in Arizona because she appeals to Independents and Non-MAGA Republicans....
I respect her for her independence....

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like she intends to still caucus with the Democrats so they will maintain a 51-49 control of the Senate.

It won't change anything....other than the letter behind her name. Are there some Republicans who may join her?

“Registering as an independent and showing up to work with the title of independent is a reflection of who I’ve always been, and it’s a reflection of who Arizona is,” Sinema said in a video. “We don’t line up to do what we’re told. We do what’s right for our state and for our country. I’m going to be the same person I’ve always been.”

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sinema's statement in the local newspaper:
[Sinema was at one time affiliated with the Green Party...and then resgistered as a Democrat before running for political office]

<excerpt>
"Everyday Americans are increasingly left behind by national parties’ rigid partisanship, which has hardened in recent years. Pressures in both parties pull leaders to the edges, allowing the loudest, most extreme voices to determine their respective parties’ priorities and expecting the rest of us to fall in line.

In catering to the fringes, neither party has demonstrated much tolerance for diversity of thought. Bipartisan compromise is seen as a rarely acceptable last resort, rather than the best way to achieve lasting progress. Payback against the opposition party has replaced thoughtful legislating.

Americans are told that we have only two choices – Democrat or Republican – and that we must subscribe wholesale to policy views the parties hold, views that have been pulled further and further toward the extremes.

Most Arizonans believe this is a false choice, and when I ran for the U.S. House and the Senate, I promised Arizonans something different. I pledged to be independent and work with anyone to achieve lasting results. I committed I would not demonize people I disagreed with, engage in name-calling, or get distracted by political drama.

I promised I would never bend to party pressure, and I would stay focused on solving problems and getting things done for everyday Arizonans. 

My approach is rare in Washington and has upset partisans in both parties. 

It is also an approach that has delivered lasting results for Arizona.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,435.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Polls show she is the most unpopular Democrat in Arizona and is also unpopular with independents and Republicans.

She has not negotiated. She has kept her positions secret, basking in the publicity and watching people fawn over her.

As for her Green Party past, she has failed to support Biden climate initiatives. Disloyal even to her own beliefs.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Polls show she is the most unpopular Democrat in Arizona and is also unpopular with independents and Republicans.

She has not negotiated. She has kept her positions secret, basking in the publicity and watching people fawn over her.

As for her Green Party past, she has failed to support Biden climate initiatives. Disloyal even to her own beliefs.
all true

That being said, her best opportunity to be re-elected is Murkowski's approach, run as an Independent. She can continue to be part of bipartisan discussions in the Senate and to push to win in a 3-person race.

IMO, hers is the right approach, perhaps one that lots of folks may take in the next few years. The two parties have moved to their extremes, especially in the primaries. The 50% or more in the middle have no voice and few politicians to look to.

We have seen the Republican Party reject all their past candidates and their followers.

The Democrats aren't much better. Progressives held their collective noses, nominated Biden, and supported him, and then supported Pelosi. This coalition is about done. The progressives want control and power. Biden can keep them back for one more time, if he chooses to run. He has fixed the primary schedule to stop any opposition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums