Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Will the Church of England Split?
Conservative Evangelical members of the Church of England are pretty displeased with the Church of England’s General Synod vote to bless same sex marriage. Their dilemma is real. How do they live in a church where they believe their opponents are heretics while their opponents believe them to be guilty of pastoral abuse for not accepting active homosexuality?

It’s a tough one. Already the Anglican communion has split into umpteen different Anglican-styled Protestant sects. If you’re interested you can check out a list here. These groups have broken away for a variety of reasons–some because the Anglican Church is too conservative, some because it is too liberal, some for liturgical reasons, others for historic or cultural/ethnic reasons. The big question is whether the Church of England itself will split rather then what has been the case historically–individuals simply leave and join some other Christian group: an Anglican breakaway sect, the Catholics, Eastern Orthodox or a Protestant group.

A genuine split in the Church of England is difficult to imagine because the Church of England is not primarily a church. It is first and foremost, at the religious arm of the English establishment–a bedrock of the English ruling class. An Englishman who belongs to the Church of England is and Englishman. As I remember one English clergyman explaining, “I could never become a Roman Catholic. I’m English and the Church of England is sooo quintessentially English!” Very nice in a Bertie Wooster-ish sort of way, but ridiculous as an ecclesiology.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Conservative Evangelical members of the Church of England are pretty displeased with the Church of England’s General Synod vote to bless same sex marriage. Their dilemma is real. How do they live in a church where they believe their opponents are heretics while their opponents believe them to be guilty of pastoral abuse for not accepting active homosexuality?

It’s a tough one. Already the Anglican communion has split into umpteen different Anglican-styled Protestant sects. If you’re interested you can check out a list here. These groups have broken away for a variety of reasons–some because the Anglican Church is too conservative, some because it is too liberal, some for liturgical reasons, others for historic or cultural/ethnic reasons. The big question is whether the Church of England itself will split rather then what has been the case historically–individuals simply leave and join some other Christian group: an Anglican breakaway sect, the Catholics, Eastern Orthodox or a Protestant group.

A genuine split in the Church of England is difficult to imagine because the Church of England is not primarily a church. It is first and foremost, at the religious arm of the English establishment–a bedrock of the English ruling class. An Englishman who belongs to the Church of England is and Englishman. As I remember one English clergyman explaining, “I could never become a Roman Catholic. I’m English and the Church of England is sooo quintessentially English!” Very nice in a Bertie Wooster-ish sort of way, but ridiculous as an ecclesiology.

Continued below.
It may not ‘split’ but it will slide even faster into irrelevance. There is no place left within it for normal Christians.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
A genuine split in the Church of England is difficult to imagine because the Church of England is not primarily a church.
In America the people who left the Episcopal Church because of the LGBT issus now call it the Anglo Tradition. They continue to follow the book of common prayer. The Methodist church did not approve the LGBT issue.

Logo-refresh-phase-1-700px.png

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Continued below.
It is interesting to note - if you watch the Crown on Netflix the Queen speaks how she is in charge of the church.
Does anyone sees the multitude of errors in that?
She was never taught theology. In fact if you watch it, she was not taught very much, her saving grace.
But she had to adhere to the customs of the church because she was head.
Makes for an interesting set of wishy washy ideals to leave secular heads of state in charge of a church.

Which was the true sense the US founders fathers opinion as well.

So I hope they return home to Rome.

Upvote 0