Will The Catholic Church Pass the Joe Biden Test?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The U.S. bishops’ collaboration with the new administration on areas of common ground cannot be accompanied by actions that spread confusion over Catholic teaching in other areas.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The U.S. bishops’ collaboration with the new administration on areas of common ground cannot be accompanied by actions that spread confusion over Catholic teaching in other areas.

Continued below.
The USCCB may well have already failed. And that because of two cardinal archbishop members.

First was newly minted cardinal archbishop Wilton Gregory, who told us he WOULD allow old Joe Biden to receive communion with his permission. The message? It's OK to reject whatever Catholic teaching you want and you are still a Catholic in good standing.

Second was the most powerful cardinal archbishop in America, Blaise Cupich, who ripped on the USCCB, which never made him leader of their group, for daring to criticise the new president. The message? We do not teach in unity that human life is sacred. And we do not criticize our Democratic Party leaders.

Both of these folks are held in high regard at the Vatican. Gregory was a McCarrick and Wuerl crony. I haven't seen direct evidence of that about Cupich though many people think so. Their recent elevations to cardinal really do undermine the USCCB.

I think the best we can do right now is if we are lucky enough to have a good bishop who does his job of preaching Christ crucified. The USCCB might be able to overcome Gregory and Cupich but in doing so they run the risk of displeasing pope Francis, who invested both of them as cardinals. Their being cardinals, able to vote for the successor to pope Francis, means that some people like me already lack confidence in the next pope.

Upvote 0