Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think racism will ever completely end. It's still being encouraged by racist parents. I do know my Conservative aunt is extremely racist. Even though she mixed White and Mexican. She still in denial about that. It kind of ironic, that she's says all these bad thing about Mexican and blacks. How they are horrible people and worse. And now her Golden child, that's an adult, has a black girlfriend. She's distraught and he's shaming the family in her mind and she tells him this. I don't know why I keep hearing the liberals being blamed. I think there's plenty of racism on both sides.

You realize everything you said after your first sentence contradicted it?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Prison culture acerbates the worst of society.
I think prison culture amplifies the worst of society, including the segregation often seen in prison. While prisons may have more deliberate segregation, you see the same in society in terms of where people live, whom people associate with, dating, friend circles, etc.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No because you'll always have race pimps like Al Sharpton around who see a buck to be made by keeping the blacks in ghettos.

I like how all these people who are asserting racism forever still only come up with Boomers as their examples.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Because she then talked about how her old aunt was upset by the lack of racism in her younger generation.

Which is what I've been saying.

Apparently a number of people in this thread are invested in racism forever.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Where did I say ignore it? I never said any such thing. All I said is that we are stuck with it for now. Old bigots dying will do nothing. There are a bunch of new bigots of all races still running around.
When you say stop caring about race and what was done in the past and present, that's calling for ignoring racism. Even if you claim people should ignore skin color, that doesn't remove the effects of racism. The families that were barred from attending schools, receiving loans, unjustly prosecuted, etc., these people are being pushed to abandon justice.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because she then talked about how her old aunt was upset by the lack of racism in her younger generation.

Which is what I've been saying.

Apparently a number of people in this thread are invested in racism forever.

I didn't get that from what she said.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You realize everything you said after your first sentence contradicted it?
How was it contradicted. That her child fell for a black women. So know he has to really think about the nonsense he was taught. If she didn't fall for the black woman. He could still be racist.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
When you say stop caring about race and what was done in the past and present, that's calling for ignoring racism.

No, it isn't. It's two very different things.
Even if you claim people should ignore skin color, that doesn't remove the effects of racism. The families that were barred from attending schools, receiving loans, unjustly prosecuted, etc., these people are being pushed to abandon justice.

Actually, if everyone ignored skin color it would remove the effects of racism from that point forward. But yes, there will always be people who choose to remain in the past. Just another reason why we'll never be rid of it. Such people are part of the problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No, it isn't. It's two very different things.

Actually, if everyone ignored skin color it would remove the effects of racism from that point forward. But yes, there will always be people who choose to remain in the past. Just another reason why we'll never be rid of it. Such people are part of the problem.
But people that have been affected by past racism are not living in the past, their present and future is affected by the past. Being affected by the past does not mean you are living in the past. If someone cut off your foot yesterday, it will affect your present and future despite them not making moves to cut off your other foot. Ignoring that my foot is missing will not remove the effects of that foot's removal.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
But people that have been affected by past racism are not living in the past, their present and future is affected by the past. Being affected by the past does not mean you are living in the past. If someone cut off your foot yesterday, it will affect your present and future despite them not making moves to cut off your other foot. Ignoring that my foot is missing will not remove the effects of that foot's removal.

Still, it is just one aspect of why racism lives on. A good example of this is people seeking reparations. All it does is add fuel to a raging fire. One group says "Heck, yeah", another says "not this garbage again", and still another "over my dead body", and every reaction in between. The only result of such an action is to remind everyone what has happened in the past and a continued promotion of such divisions into the present day.

This shouldn't really be such a big surprise. There have been sayings in the past such as "Remember the Alamo, or "Remember Pearl Harbor", and the reason is because bringing such things into memory are designed to incite people into some desired emotional state. That's the whole reason we have holidays. They cause people to recall past events and have an emotional response to them, good or bad.

Yes, bad things have happened to every race, some much worse than others, and as long as people try to hold that over other people, it will never end. Such people can't claim to oppose racism since they work to promote it. I would love for racism to end immediately, but it has to stop at all levels, including inciting violence and bad will by throwing past events in the face of others.

It's called forgiveness, something only Christians can actually achieve. You want racism to end? Spread the gospel. That's the only way to cleanse individuals of hate. Until then, like I said in my original post, all believers can do is just do our part not to perpetuate the hate.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Race engineering will not change a heart. My dream is the same as Martin Luther Kings

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Ditto.

Both sides of the issue have drifted so far away from King's ideal that it's IMHO heartbreaking.

Don't believe me about both sides going nuts? Try looking for MTV's infamous "Dear White People" video. "We're claiming Beyonce because of course she's black, but you can have Kanye; he's a race traitor now since he appeared in public with Trump" and all that.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Considering that racism in the past was only addressed when it was confronted, how do you suppose that ignoring racism will make racism go away? Ignoring racism didn't get rid slavery or segregation, but confronting it sure did.

Just curious, but there are equal legal rights now regarding race. So what is the goal of this confrontation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious, but there are equal legal rights now regarding race. So what is the goal of this confrontation?

There is more to racism than equal legal rights. But I don't think confrontation among Millennials is particularly necessary. We Boomers, however, are going to have to fight this fight among ourselves until we die.

Kind of like the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Valid point the Nation of Islam isn't exactly shrinking is it!

Yes, yes, it is. Has been declining for decades.

It had its peak in the 80s, just before the major influx of "real" Muslims into the US.

BTW, the NOI isn't even pretending to be serious about Islam anymore--since 2010 they became Scientologists. But actually, the ones who were serious about Islam left NOI back in the very early 80s when Elijah Muhammad's son Deen Warith became a true Sunni Muslim and took the seriously Muslim members with him. Farrakhan set up NOI as a deliberately heretical organization.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The Year in Hate and Extremism
The number of hate and antigovernment 'Patriot' groups grew last year, and terrorist attacks and radical plots proliferated.

Charleston. Chattanooga. Colorado Springs. In these towns and dozens of other communities around the nation, 2015 was a year marked by extraordinary violence from domestic extremists — a year of living dangerously.

Antigovernment militiamen, white supremacists, abortion foes, domestic Islamist radicals, neo-Nazis and lovers of the Confederate battle flag targeted police, government officials, black churchgoers, Muslims, Jews, schoolchildren, Marines, abortion providers, members of the Black Lives Matter protest movement, and even drug dealers.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BTW, the NOI isn't even pretending to be serious about Islam anymore--since 2010 they became Scientologists.

Someone ought to tell them that, because on their page right now it says this:

This Ministry bears responsibility for assisting the individual member of the community in the process of heeding truth and right guidance. Respect, honor and obedience to the Authority of the Creator in all aspects of life are essential to peace, harmony, freedom, justice and equality. In the words of the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan: “…Self-development is an absolutely essential component of this microcosm of the new world. It is not enough that we grow horizontally through the acquisition of farms, factories, banks, industry, trade, commerce, money, good homes…horizontal growth alone is death. All dead things are on a horizontal level. Therefore, we must grow vertically: grow in uprightness, or we will be overcome by our horizontal growth.” The foundation of this ministry are study and training units, …designed on the Guidance of Allah(God) to produce: self-examination; self-analysis; self-correction and to quicken in each of us, the self-accusing Spirit. For it is only when we are awakened morally that we have to face the self-accusing spirit that leads to our resurrection.” (see, Letter of Introduction : Self-Improvement: the Basis for Community Development, December 12, 1986.)

The Ministries - NOI.org Official Website

From the Southern Poverty Law Center:

Since its founding in 1930, the Nation of Islam (NOI) has grown into one of the wealthiest and best-known organizations in black America, offering numerous programs and events designed to uplift African Americans. Nonetheless, its bizarre theology of innate black superiority over whites — a belief system vehemently and consistently rejected by mainstream Muslims — and the deeply racist, anti-Semitic and anti-gay rhetoric of its leaders, including top minister Louis Farrakhan, have earned the NOI a prominent position in the ranks of organized hate.

Upvote 0