Will priests be allowed to marry again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

WarningSign1.png

MOD HAT ON
This thread went through a minor cleanup.
Please keep the rules in mind:
Flaming and Goading

● Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
● Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
● NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.
● Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
● Only the person to whom the post is addressed may report the other. Anyone may report generalized flames or goads which are addressed to a group of members.
● Moderators have the right to report egregious violations of flaming or goading.
● Clear violations of the flaming rule will result in bans.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The question of if there were married men who became priests in the West and if it was the norm are two different questions. As for the celibate tradition, it started with the examples of Jesus and St. Paul.
But Jesus is a unique situation and Paul was a widower, since he was part of the Sanhedrin and to be part of that you had to be married with at least two children. But even Paul says that if you have sxual desire, then you should marry.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
But Jesus is a unique situation and Paul was a widower, since he was part of the Sanhedrin and to be part of that you had to be married with at least two children. But even Paul says that if you have sxual desire, then you should marry.

That is NOT what Paul said.

Paul said to marry (only if!!!) if your sexual desire is such that you cannot handle celibacy.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Considering that:

A) The rule prohibiting priests from marrying is not biblical, but stems from a rule imposed in the 11th century to keep inheritance within the church.
AND
B) The rampant abuse carried out by priests in recent years across the globe.

Do you think priests should marry? And of so, do you think this will ever be allowed by the church again?

I say allowed "again", because before Pope Gregory VII (11th century) priests were allowed to marry as stated in holy scripture.
1 Timothy 3:2 - Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach.

Titus 1:6-7 - ...if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach...
Don't hold your breath.
There actually isn't rampant abuse carried out by priests. There is rampant coverage of what abuse has occurred. Catholic clergy actually have a slightly below average rate of clergy who commit sexual abuse. The VAST MAJORITY of sexual abuse occurs in families. Married priests would only serve to create more problems in that arena NOT less.

I doubt married men will be widespread in the Latin Church in our lifetimes. The Bishops who have remained single are not likely to decide for married clergy. EVEN if secular clergy were married I would suspect they would be required to be bi-vocational such as permanent deacons are today. Catholic laity and bishops and NOT going to be willing to fund a married clergy. Catholic priests are currently not paid enough to support families. Protestantism offers an object lesson. Paying for a married clergy is off the table.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
stray bullet

Openly gay men aren't pedophiles. They Church also does not allow openly homosexual men to be priests in general.

The majority of sexual abuse cases were not pedophilia, i.e. sexual abuse of a child younger than the age of puberty.

The majority were homosexual priest with post pubescent teen age boys.

Since the sexual abuse scandal, the Church has stopped allowing men with strong homosexual tendencies into the priesthood. Prior, they didn't do a good job screening candidates for the seminary.

St John's Seminary in Brighton MA, became so over run with homosexuals, that it had a homosexual atmosphere to the point that straight men either left after being disgusted from what the saw, or were not allowed to continue on, especially if they complained about the homosexual acts they saw taking place.

That's not how it would work. People think men enter seminary because they want to be priests and celibate. WRONG.

Men enter because they feel called to be priests and are willing to sacrifice for it.

Men feel called, but also know they will have to accept celibacy. A married man may also feel called but knows he will not be accepted as a seminarian.

If the Church opens the door for married me, you can be sure there will be those who are called.

Jim
This is not true. Pedophiles abuse children. I have known a quite large number of priests with a homosexual orientation. None of them have been pedophiles. The irony is that if a priest does violate their commitment to abstention the overall least problematic is with homosexual men. There isn't the possibility of unforeseen children is absent and consenting adults offer no legal issues. The previous Pope made the dreadful mistake of thinking that homosexual priests (and men generally) were a handy scapegoat for the sex abuse scandal. It is dishonest at best. At worst it blinds people to much more severe problems that need to be addressed. Focusing on homosexuals means that bishops aren't focusing on pedophiles and now the church is denying itself those homosexually oriented men who have a priestly vocation. It is a lose/lose for the church.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is not true. Pedophiles abuse children. I have known a quite large number of priests with a homosexual orientation. None of them have been pedophiles. The irony is that if a priest does violate their commitment to abstention the overall least problematic is with homosexual men. There isn't the possibility of unforeseen children is absent and consenting adults offer no legal issues. The previous Pope made the dreadful mistake of thinking that homosexual priests (and men generally) were a handy scapegoat for the sex abuse scandal. It is dishonest at best. At worst it blinds people to much more severe problems that need to be addressed. Focusing on homosexuals means that bishops aren't focusing on pedophiles and now the church is denying itself those homosexually oriented men who have a priestly vocation. It is a lose/lose for the church.

You misunderstood my posts to Stray Bullet who himself was good a twisting my words.

Pedophiles abuse children. The number of priests who are pedophiles and were caught abusing children, is very small.

The majority of sex abuse cases committed by Catholic priests, were committed by homosexual priests with young teenage boys. This by definition is not pedophilia, but a new term recently invented called, E-pedophilia.

Also, I never said homosexuals are predisposed to being pedophiles as you're suggesting here.

I too know homosexuals and they are not pedophiles.

But again, in the cases of sex abuse scandal committed by Catholic Priests, the majority were committed by priests who are in fact, homosexual.

It was because of this, but also because seminaries took on a homosexual culture, that the Church said that homosexuals with strong tendencies, will not be allowed to be candidates for the priesthood.

Jim

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
You misunderstood my posts to Stray Bullet who himself was good a twisting my words.

Pedophiles abuse children. The number of priests who are pedophiles and were caught abusing children, is very small.

The majority of sex abuse cases committed by Catholic priests, were committed by homosexual priests with young teenage boys. This by definition is not pedophilia, but a new term recently invented called, E-pedophilia.

Also, I never said homosexuals are predisposed to being pedophiles as you're suggesting here.

I too know homosexuals and they are not pedophiles.

But again, in the cases of sex abuse scandal committed by Catholic Priests, the majority were committed by priests who are in fact, homosexual.

It was because of this, but also because seminaries took on a homosexual culture, that the Church said that homosexuals with strong tendencies, will not be allowed to be candidates for the priesthood.

Jim
I don't know that any study or other definitive work has been done to show that the majority of perpetrators of sex abuse were in fact homosexual. (Priests in the church I mean)

In one sense all seminaries have a homosexual culture because they are all same sex institution. Formation puts all men regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual in an all male environment and expects them to form bonds with other men. Seminaries geared to the secular clergy have a tradition of being woefully inadequate at addressing subsuming sexuality within vocational life. In my experience homosexual seminarians were a bit more aware of and comfortable with their sexuality in the past quarter century. That is quite useful for one who is remaining celibate. There were a lot of heterosexual men around twenty to thirty years ago who left seminary as they were uncomfortable with homosexual men who were comfortable with themselves.

Ratzinger got through policies that excluded ALL homosexual men from priestly vocation. His office cooked up the "intrinsically disordered" idea. He scapegoated homosexuals for the pedophilia scandal. In the years after Vatican II a lot of the heterosexual priests left to marry. The gay priests tended to stay. Ratzinger demoralized them. he made seminaries harbingers for heterosexual men with inordinate discomfort with gay men. He dreadfully bungled identifying pedophilia and coming up with a response to it. He had a knack for getting it wrong for everybody.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The previous Pope made the dreadful mistake of thinking that homosexual priests (and men generally) were a handy scapegoat for the sex abuse scandal.
That's because the overwhelming majority of priests were not abusing girls or little children, but prepubescent boys. That's not pedophilia, that's pederasty, and it is a gay thing.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You are exactly right.

I haven't heard of E-pedophilia. I've heard it called pederasty or ephebophilia. Interesting. But the point is that it is distinct from true pedophilia, which is little kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
kit,

>I don't know that any study or other definitive work has been done to show that the majority of perpetrators of sex >abuse were in fact homosexual. (Priests in the church I mean)

Dr Philip Jenkins from the University of Pennsylvania did a study on the issue about 20 years ago and has written on it over time.

His data and that of others showed that the majority of sexual abuse cases were committed by homosexual priests with young teen age boys. Few were actual pedophiles who molested children who were pre-pubescent, which is what pedophilia is by definition.

>In one sense all seminaries have a homosexual culture because they are all same sex institution.

That doesn't make them homosexual. Homosexuality is a sexual orientation where people of the same gender have sexual desires for others of the same gender.

I was in the Marines where we had all males in the units I served in. There was no homosexual culture there.

Same is true for all male schools, there isn't a homosexual culture, although there are a minority of homosexuals attending those institutions.

In the case of seminaries where there was a predominant homosexual culture, the majority of seminaries were in fact homosexuals and engaged in homosexual acts.

Heterosexuals who went to the seminary left in disgust, or were not allowed to continue on toward the priesthood because of their anti-homosexual mentality. In other words, the leadership of those seminaries were homosexuals.

Get yourself the book, "Goodbye! Good Men: How Catholic Seminaries Turned Away Two Generations of Vocations From the Priesthood," by Michael S. Rose

When the book came out, priests attacked it as being flawed. However, after the sex abuse scandals broke, the author was proven to be right in his research.

>Formation puts all men regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual in an all male environment and >expects them to form bonds with other men. Seminaries geared to the secular clergy have a tradition of being woefully >inadequate at addressing subsuming sexuality within vocational life.

Bonding friendships with other men does not define a man as a homosexual.

Sexual desire and acts is what defines that orientation.

>In my experience homosexual seminarians were a bit more aware of and comfortable with their sexuality in the past >quarter century. That is quite useful for one who is remaining celibate. There were a lot of heterosexual men around >twenty to thirty years ago who left seminary as they were uncomfortable with homosexual men who were comfortable >with themselves.

Being comfortable with your sexual orientation and getting involved sexually is the problem with regards to the sex abuse scandal.

Heterosexual priests also got involved with young girls and older women, were part of the sex abuse scandal, but they were the minority of cases, although higher than actual pedophile cases.

>Ratzinger got through policies that excluded ALL homosexual men from priestly vocation. His office cooked up the >"intrinsically disordered" idea. He scapegoated homosexuals for the pedophilia scandal.

The Church teaches that homosexuality is a disorder, but the orientation of itself is not evil.

The acts are, just as all sexual acts outside of marriage.

Further, Cardinal Ratzinger did not ban all homosexuals from the priesthood, but those with strong sexual tendencies.

The same holds for heterosexual males who have strong sexual tendencies. They too are not allowed to continue in the seminaries.

Formation is more thorough today than it was in the past 100 years as it should be.

>In the years after Vatican II a lot of the heterosexual priests left to marry.

Yeah some did leave to get married, but the majority did not and remained true to their vocations.

The gay priests tended to stay. Ratzinger demoralized them. he made seminaries harbingers for heterosexual men with inordinate discomfort with gay men. He dreadfully bungled identifying pedophilia and coming up with a response to it. He had a knack for getting it wrong for everybody.

Your opinion not fact.

Jim

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
That's because the overwhelming majority of priests were not abusing girls or little children, but prepubescent boys. That's not pedophilia, that's pederasty, and it is a gay thing.
Pederasty is relations between a man and a pubescent or adolescent boy. Pedophilia is the abuse of prepubescent children. Both were issues. Pederasty is not a homosexual issue per se as homosexual men are no more likely to be pederasts as heterosexual are to be ephebophiles.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pederasty is relations between a man and a pubescent or adolescent boy. Pedophilia is the abuse of prepubescent children. Both were issues. Pederasty is not a homosexual issue per se as homosexual men are no more likely to be pederasts as heterosexual are to be ephebophiles.

But the majority of sexual abuse cases by Catholic Priest, were committed by homosexual priest with post-pubescent males.

Sorry if this upsets you.

Jim

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think priests should marry? And of so, do you think this will ever be allowed by the church again?

The ban on married clergy should have been lifted a long time ago as this is what the Bible teaches. However, I do not believe the ban will be lifted, ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
kit,

>I don't know that any study or other definitive work has been done to show that the majority of perpetrators of sex >abuse were in fact homosexual. (Priests in the church I mean)

Dr Philip Jenkins from the University of Pennsylvania did a study on the issue about 20 years ago and has written on it over time.

His data and that of others showed that the majority of sexual abuse cases were committed by homosexual priests with young teen age boys. Few were actual pedophiles who molested children who were pre-pubescent, which is what pedophilia is by definition.

>In one sense all seminaries have a homosexual culture because they are all same sex institution.

That doesn't make them homosexual. Homosexuality is a sexual orientation where people of the same gender have sexual desires for others of the same gender.

I was in the Marines where we had all males in the units I served in. There was no homosexual culture there.

Same is true for all male schools, there isn't a homosexual culture, although there are a minority of homosexuals attending those institutions.

In the case of seminaries where there was a predominant homosexual culture, the majority of seminaries were in fact homosexuals and engaged in homosexual acts.

Heterosexuals who went to the seminary left in disgust, or were not allowed to continue on toward the priesthood because of their anti-homosexual mentality. In other words, the leadership of those seminaries were homosexuals.

Get yourself the book, "Goodbye! Good Men: How Catholic Seminaries Turned Away Two Generations of Vocations From the Priesthood," by Michael S. Rose

When the book came out, priests attacked it as being flawed. However, after the sex abuse scandals broke, the author was proven to be right in his research.

>Formation puts all men regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual in an all male environment and >expects them to form bonds with other men. Seminaries geared to the secular clergy have a tradition of being woefully >inadequate at addressing subsuming sexuality within vocational life.

Bonding friendships with other men does not define a man as a homosexual.

Sexual desire and acts is what defines that orientation.

>In my experience homosexual seminarians were a bit more aware of and comfortable with their sexuality in the past >quarter century. That is quite useful for one who is remaining celibate. There were a lot of heterosexual men around >twenty to thirty years ago who left seminary as they were uncomfortable with homosexual men who were comfortable >with themselves.

Being comfortable with your sexual orientation and getting involved sexually is the problem with regards to the sex abuse scandal.

Heterosexual priests also got involved with young girls and older women, were part of the sex abuse scandal, but they were the minority of cases, although higher than actual pedophile cases.

>Ratzinger got through policies that excluded ALL homosexual men from priestly vocation. His office cooked up the >"intrinsically disordered" idea. He scapegoated homosexuals for the pedophilia scandal.

The Church teaches that homosexuality is a disorder, but the orientation of itself is not evil.

The acts are, just as all sexual acts outside of marriage.

Further, Cardinal Ratzinger did not ban all homosexuals from the priesthood, but those with strong sexual tendencies.

The same holds for heterosexual males who have strong sexual tendencies. They too are not allowed to continue in the seminaries.

Formation is more thorough today than it was in the past 100 years as it should be.

>In the years after Vatican II a lot of the heterosexual priests left to marry.

Yeah some did leave to get married, but the majority did not and remained true to their vocations.

The gay priests tended to stay. Ratzinger demoralized them. he made seminaries harbingers for heterosexual men with inordinate discomfort with gay men. He dreadfully bungled identifying pedophilia and coming up with a response to it. He had a knack for getting it wrong for everybody.

Your opinion not fact.

Jim
Please post a link to Dr Jenkins data.

When going over my sentences it would be a good ideal to read them in their entirety. If you don't want to accept my broad usage of the word homosexual (in context it should be clear) then we can't use either heterosexual or homosexual to describe seminarians. The whole enterprise becomes moot.

Now I will say that at that time I was aware of the controversy but didn't see it myself. I didn't have worldwide access to seminaries but I do know that in the midwest the issue was greatly exaggerated. I suspect that wasn't unique. I was also familiar with seminarians who leaving over this issue even though they weren't subjected to sex. They were plainly uncomfortable around gay men with no sex entering the picture. To be fair that was a reflection of the whole of the culture a quarter century ago.

Ratzinger's efforts distinguish between "deep seated homosexual tendencies" and "transitory" ones. Do tell, what is transitory tendency? What is a deep seated tendency? Transitory to me doesn't actually indicate a homosexually oriented person.

My opinion certainly is based on what I saw. For that matter it is corroborated by my experience with the contacts I still have in the clergy.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
But the majority of sexual abuse cases by Catholic Priest, were committed by homosexual priest with post-pubescent males.

Sorry if this upsets you.

Jim
That doesn't upset me in particular. The misdirection of the hierarchy is upsetting. (although in fairness not terribly for me because I defected) It is a tragedy for the church overall though.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The ban on married clergy should have been lifted a long time ago as this is what the Bible teaches. However, I do not believe the ban will be lifted, ever.

If you believe that Scripture requires that men be married, then you are incorrect. That was a Jewish teaching for those of the Sandhedren. Many Protestant churches strongly prefer their pastors to be married, but I don't think it is the fact that there are no unmarried clergy.

With regard to 1st Timothy which requires that a pastor be of one wife, this is a prohibition against polygamy.

Do YOU believe that Scripture prohibits single men from being pastors?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Is?

Far more likely from the data seems to be that it's about access. It's those slightly older boys that the priests had unquestioning access to as it was those that the culture wanted the priests to mentor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.