Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People often say the following phrase,

"If you have genuine faith, you will have good works."

The problem in that statement is the word "will." This is what would actually be correct to say:

"If you have genuine faith, you SHOULD have good works."

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Should Smith" isn't as catchy as Will Smith.

I don't see any problem with "will". I think "will" is already a guarantee. As opposed to "may". "May" can happen or not. But "will" always happens.

I don't think "will" here is used in the context of command but the context of guarantee. Like anyone who touches a boiling pot *will* be hurt.

If you did not get hurt means you did not touch the hot pot. If you don't do good works means you did not have genuine faith, something like that.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The problem in that statement is the word "will." This is what would actually be correct to say:

Why do you think it would be correct to say that instead? Do you think that someone can have genuine faith while consistently choosing not to do what they should?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

"Should" is probably a good way to put it. We are made new creations in Jesus for good works but not everyone obeys. And "should" is more the case rather than "will" because some "will not" whether they are supposed to or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think it would be correct to say that instead? Do you think that someone can have genuine faith while consistently choosing not to do what they should?
Is there even one instance when someone could choose to commit some sin despite of his genuine faith? If the answer is yes, you are admitting that choosing wrong is possible despite of genuine faith. If the answer is no, then you are teaching sinless perfectionism. Pick your poison.

Why would it be correct to say that people should not commit sin? Because committing sin is shameful and you don't want to be ashamed of yourself. Obviously people are not robots who are programmed to do everything right all the time.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is there even one instance when someone could choose to commit some sin despite of his genuine faith? If the answer is yes, you are admitting that choosing wrong is possible despite of genuine faith. If the answer is no, then you are teaching sinless perfectionism. Pick your poison.

Why would it be correct to say that people should not commit sin? Because committing sin is shameful and you don't want to be ashamed of yourself. Obviously people are not robots who are programmed to do everything right all the time.

It is not possible for someone to be expressing genuine faith in God to guide them in how to rightly live while acting contrary to God's guidance. Faith and works do not have an extrinsic relationship, such as if you work for two weeks, then you will get a pay check, but rather it is an intrinsic relationship like @timewerx spoke about where if you touch a hot pot, then you will get hurt.

I was asking about why you think it is correct to say that we should have good works instead of that we will have good works, not about why people should not commit sin. Obviously we will not do everything right all of the time, but people with genuine faith will repent and return to obedience through that faith.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was asking about why you think it is correct to say that we should have good works instead of that we will have good works, not about why people should not commit sin.
Are you implying that people should not do good works? Should they or should they not?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are you implying that people should not do good works? Should they or should they not?
No, we should do good works. The OP made a claim about what should be said, but didn’t give any sort of explanation for why that is the case, and that is what I am asking about.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, we should do good works. The OP made a claim about what should be said, but didn’t give any sort of explanation for why that is the case, and that is what I am asking about.
You just said yourself that we should do good works. If you said it, I guess it should be said then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You just said yourself that we should do good works. If you said it, I guess it should be said then.
Indeed, God is sovereign, so everyone should do good works, while those with genuine faith will express it by doing good works. It is both true that those with genuine faith will and should do good works, but you have neglected to explain why you think it is incorrect to say that they those with genuine faith will have good works.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Works are one evidence of salvation. If you do not exhibit good works, one might question if the profession is genuine.

• Agree
Upvote 0