Will Jesus still judge Christians for our past sins?

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Arent Saints the ones who endure until the end? Doesn't that mean they must not commit sin?
To endure till the end means to trust in Jesus until the end.

Everyone sins and to say that you have not sinned is a lie.

1 John 1:10
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

I prefer you confess your sin and try not to mislead folk into thinking that you do not sin.

Do not teach a form of sinless perfection because that is not what the scripture teaches.

Perfection in loving others perhaps but never sinless.

Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To believe in Jesus means to trust that the blood of Jesus fully reconciles us to His Father.

Romans 4:8
“Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account.”

We do not rejoice in Jesus because some of our past sins are taken into account. We rejoice because we are seated with Christ in the heavenly realms, and our past sins are not taken into account.

We are a new creation in Christ and everything is new, the former things have passed away.

Im aware but what gain is there for the one who sinned little vs the one who didnt. I think the Lord has a masterful plan for rewarding to each his own proper allotment.

Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To endure till the end means to trust in Jesus until the end.

Everyone sins and to say that you have not sinned is a lie.

1 John 1:10
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

I prefer you confess your sin and try not to mislead folk into thinking that you do not sin.

Do not teach a form of sinless perfection because that is not what the scripture teaches.

Perfection in loving others perhaps but never sinless.

Im not saying we can be sinfree. Every thought of ours is somewhat evil because we only think and care about ourselves due to our lack of faith in him. But being realistically sin free to the extent of the prophets is possible. Are we not called to be holy? I also never said I did not sin only that todays Church is not getting the message through that sinning for Christians has disastrous consequences. If I were to commit a grave sin such as fornication or adultery I would expect God to do something severe about it. I abide in knowing that he cleansed my sins. I abide because there is nothing in this world that will endure the test of time and truly nothing worthy for me to worship in this world except him. Lastly I abide because i know i will fail without his help.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I can pick out verses too. There is nothing that says that Christian that goes on sinning will go unpunished and that God wont hold it against him.
We are not talking about continuing in sin after professing Christianity. What I saw in the OP was the concern that after conversion, will God still judge a person on his past life?

I was using the verses to show that once a person is genuinely converted to Christ he is given a clean slate. What he does after that is according to the choices he makes.

Perhaps you did not read the OP closely. Anyway, we already have had threads about continuing in unconfessed sin after conversion, which have contained debates ad infinitum and ad nauseum with people maintaining their pet hobby horses regardless of any intelligent discussion that good folks have made that have answered the question admirably.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm aware that Jesus was that lamb that took away the sins of the world but also there is the fact that in heaven there are rewards and crowns. I suppose that some crowns will be given to those that endured those that helped others and those that spread and died for the gospel. It is said that every action and thought will be thoroughly known on the day of judgment this must mean that even though we had our sins cleansed it does not excuse us from our past deeds. Must be a very long list and time for every human person. I am well aware that God exists outside of time and that the whole body of Christ can communicate with him simultaneously.
No, our sins are no longer an issue between us and God.

"Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary." Hebrews 10:17-18

"God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them." 2 Corinthians 5:19

"Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

"Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them." Romans 4:8

"I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name." 1 John 2:12

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace ..." Ephesians 1:7

"Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." Hebrews 9:28

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" John 1:29

"He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption." Hebrews 9:12

"When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." John 19:30

• Winner
Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

Cement

Mar 24, 2018
Austin
✟55,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We are not talking about continuing in sin after professing Christianity. What I saw in the OP was the concern that after conversion, will God still judge a person on his past life?

I was using the verses to show that once a person is genuinely converted to Christ he is given a clean slate. What he does after that is according to the choices he makes.

Perhaps you did not read the OP closely. Anyway, we already have had threads about continuing in unconfessed sin after conversion, which have contained debates ad infinitum and ad nauseum with people maintaining their pet hobby horses regardless of any intelligent discussion that good folks have made that have answered the question admirably.

what exactly is a pet hobby horse?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Im not saying we can be sinfree. Every thought of ours is somewhat evil because we only think and care about ourselves due to our lack of faith in him. But being realistically sin free to the extent of the prophets is possible. Are we not called to be holy? I also never said I did not sin only that todays Church is not getting the message through that sinning for Christians has disastrous consequences. If I were to commit a grave sin such as fornication or adultery I would expect God to do something severe about it. I abide in knowing that he cleansed my sins. I abide because there is nothing in this world that will endure the test of time and truly nothing worthy for me to worship in this world except him. Lastly I abide because i know i will fail without his help.
Jesus taught that to even look at a women with lust is adultery, so more than likely you have committed adultery too many times to count.

So do you really want God to take your sin into account?

Adultery and fornication are not greater sins than any other types of sin. Hating someone else is no different to actually murdering someone.

Are you sure that you want God to have a good hard look at your sinful ways?

The prophets were not free of sin, no man is ever free of sin. Confess your sin, confess your failure to love others, only then are you cleansed by the blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, our sins are no longer an issue between us and God.

"Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary." Hebrews 10:17-18

"God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them." 2 Corinthians 5:19

"Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32

"Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them." Romans 4:8

"I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name." 1 John 2:12

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace ..." Ephesians 1:7

"Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." Hebrews 9:28

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" John 1:29

"He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption." Hebrews 9:12

"When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." John 19:30
Amen brother, that is an absolute reconciliation, a divine forgiveness without limit.

By grace we are saved and our flesh is dead in Christ. That is why we rejoice and worship Jesus, we live in love and not in fear.

Reactions: GraceBro
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
what exactly is a pet hobby horse?
A person's favourite doctrine that they will defend to the utmost regardless of what the Bible says about it.

There is another person who defends the requirement that all Christian believers keep the Saturday Sabbath. He keeps bashing us over the head with Scripture after Scripture (out of context mainly), and makes his points in upper case. Regardless of any discussion to the contrary, ie: that Gentile believer are not, and have never been, required to keep the Saturday Sabbath, he keeps repeating the same points over and over in the belief that having belted us over the head with his views and Scriptures somehow we will get concussion and start to believe him. :)

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Would it be fair to have one sin absolved and not the other? Furthermore I ask and this is sincere why would a person who after baptism sins in Adultery be held to account and not the former who has not been yet baptized. I have even heard such false ideas being spread that people would sin and then later be baptized so as not to be judged for those sins. Its clearly a diabolical lie. I believe that the Bible clearly says that All sins no matter from what era were to be judged.

One sin is no different than a
So im aware that Jesus was that lamb that took away the sins of the world but also there is the fact that in heaven there are rewards and crowns. I suppose that some crowns will be given to those that endured those that helped others and those that spread and died for the gospel. It is said that every action and thought will be thoroughly known on the day of judgement this must mean that even though we had our sins cleansed it does not excuse us from our past deeds. Must be a very long list and time for every human person. I am well aware that God exists outside of time and that the whole body of Christ can communicate with him simultaneously.

Christ paid the debt of our sin, all you have to do is have faith. Everyone keeps mixing in works, or this sin is different than those sins, sin is sin.

If only non sinners can go to heaven, the place will be empty, and Christ would have died for nothing. There is no sin to big that Christ's blood did not cover.

"Come, let us reason together, though your sins are scarlet red, they shall be white as snow"

"There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"

If you want examples, look at Moses, David, and Paul (prior to conversion) with the exception of myself, who is the greatest, and foremost among sinners. They are among the worst you could find.

Stop making it hard.

• Agree
Reactions: GraceBro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One sin is no different than a

Christ paid the debt of our sin, all you have to do is have faith. Everyone keeps mixing in works, or this sin is different than those sins, sin is sin.

If only non sinners can go to heaven, the place will be empty, and Christ would have died for nothing. There is no sin to big that Christ's blood did not cover.

"Come, let us reason together, though your sins are scarlet red, they shall be white as snow"

"There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"

If you want examples, look at Moses, David, and Paul (prior to conversion) with the exception of myself, who is the greatest, and foremost among sinners. They are among the worst you could find.

Stop making it hard.

There are Christians such as myself who sinned after conversion and Hebrews says that there is no sacrifice for willful sins done after knowing the truth. So there are some sins that are not covered unfortunately. I wish that wasn't the case but it seems to be so. The Bible calls people like that "twice dead" in Jude.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There are Christians such as myself who sinned after conversion and Hebrews says that there is no sacrifice for willful sins done after knowing the truth. So there are some sins that are not covered unfortunately. I wish that wasn't the case but it seems to be so. The Bible calls people like that "twice dead" in Jude.

do you consider yourself condemned?

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So im aware that Jesus was that lamb that took away the sins of the world but also there is the fact that in heaven there are rewards and crowns. I suppose that some crowns will be given to those that endured those that helped others and those that spread and died for the gospel. It is said that every action and thought will be thoroughly known on the day of judgement this must mean that even though we had our sins cleansed it does not excuse us from our past deeds. Must be a very long list and time for every human person. I am well aware that God exists outside of time and that the whole body of Christ can communicate with him simultaneously.

The key word in your question is "judge." God is the just Judge of all humans, who will be called to account for all our sins. However, when Jesus died on the cross, God justified (that is, declared us right with him and not guilty as our Judge) us who have trusted in him. However, we continue to struggle with the sins left in our lives, though our guilt is gone. That process is lifelong in struggling to overcome sin and Satan's influences. Both are true. We are already forgiven, but we still have to overcome remaining sins. We need to claim Jesus' triumph in his death and resurrection for spiritual progress.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea to be honest. I am leaving the judgement up to God.
We need to read the whole Bible to get the balance. John says that if any man sin, we have an advocate in heaven to prays to the father for us. He says that if we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us. Paul says that nothing good is in him, that is, in his flesh. John also says that if a person confesses their sin, God is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So, we have to carefully consider how the word "sin" is defined in John, and then how it is defined in Hebrews.

Paul said that where sin does abound, grace does much more abound, but he then asks, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid!" So, is his definition of sin match with John's or the writer of Hebrews?

Paul outlines the work of the flesh in Galatians 5. He says that those who engage in those things on a habitual basis will not inherit the kingdom of God. So, it may very well be, that a person who professes Christianity, goes on for a while, and then turns back to a lifestyle of doing the works of the flesh, may no longer depend on the blood of Christ to justify him. But then, if that very same person turns back to Christ and throws himself on His mercy, the Scripture says, "He who comes to Me I will in no wise cast out."

But we have a body of flesh which has shortcomings and failures to keep God's perfect standards of holiness. 1 John 1:9 caters for that. If we keep short accounts with God and confess all known sin, and our shortcomings, failures, and lapses through temptation, then Jesus continues to be our defence lawyer before the Father.

No one is sinlessly perfect, and trying for sinless perfection in this life is unrealistic and futile. If we could, then Jesus wasted His time dying for us on the cross. But, faith in Christ involves openly and honestly talking about our faults and failings with God as they happen. That is what confession is all about. It is part of our everyday fellowship with God where we talk about anything and everything as one friend to another.

For the genuine believer, his consciousness of sin in himself drives him closer and deeper into Christ. For the hypocrite, his consciousness of sin makes him run away from Christ and try to hide his sinfulness under the pretence of super-spirituality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We need to read the whole Bible to get the balance. John says that if any man sin, we have an advocate in heaven to prays to the father for us. He says that if we have no sin, we lie and the truth is not in us. Paul says that nothing good is in him, that is, in his flesh. John also says that if a person confesses their sin, God is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So, we have to carefully consider how the word "sin" is defined in John, and then how it is defined in Hebrews.

Paul said that where sin does abound, grace does much more abound, but he then asks, "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid!" So, is his definition of sin match with John's or the writer of Hebrews?

Paul outlines the work of the flesh in Galatians 5. He says that those who engage in those things on a habitual basis will not inherit the kingdom of God. So, it may very well be, that a person who professes Christianity, goes on for a while, and then turns back to a lifestyle of doing the works of the flesh, may no longer depend on the blood of Christ to justify him. But then, if that very same person turns back to Christ and throws himself on His mercy, the Scripture says, "He who comes to Me I will in no wise cast out."

But we have a body of flesh which has shortcomings and failures to keep God's perfect standards of holiness. 1 John 1:9 caters for that. If we keep short accounts with God and confess all known sin, and our shortcomings, failures, and lapses through temptation, then Jesus continues to be our defence lawyer before the Father.

No one is sinlessly perfect, and trying for sinless perfection in this life is unrealistic and futile. If we could, then Jesus wasted His time dying for us on the cross. But, faith in Christ involves openly and honestly talking about our faults and failings with God as they happen. That is what confession is all about. It is part of our everyday fellowship with God where we talk about anything and everything as one friend to another.

For the genuine believer, his consciousness of sin in himself drives him closer and deeper into Christ. For the hypocrite, his consciousness of sin makes him run away from Christ and try to hide his sinfulness under the pretence of super-spirituality.

I agree with your assessment. The reason why I brought it up is because I believe genuinely that God will not condemn anyone for sins that they have committed prior to conversion and other sins that may have been done in ignorance or perhaps a low level of willfulness after conversion. The sins have truly been cleansed away. However if a Christian decides to live in rebellion after having the light revealed to him, he is in trouble.

John talks about that and says that as long as we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sins. However if we walk in the darkness, we are not in a good place. For me I went back into the darkness for a period of time and I honestly don't know if that's forgivable but I do take other promises of the Bible and try to claim them. I even spent a short time pretending to be a spiritual Christian when I had some sins in my life. This was years after my genuine conversion after years of gradually allowing sins to creep back in my life. The reason why I bring this up is that OP has no reason to be concerned about the sins committed in ignorance(before conversion) but rather it's the sins committed after the light has been revealed to you that you should be concerned about.

Upvote 0

Jonathan kerr

Mar 21, 2019
Northern Ireland
✟8,253.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever you accept that Lord Jesus Christ the perfect lamb of God, sinless without fault was put to death for your sins.. yes you personally and everyone. Imagine that God loved you so much he gave up his first born so that you could become akin to him, but God made a promise to Lord Jesus Christ that if he gave up his life for all sin, he would Give Lord Jesus Christ his throne, making Lord Jesus Christ Fully God. So whenever you read the New Testament and follow the teachings of Lord Jesus Christ you are actually taking the perfect teachings of God himself. The issue arises whenever to make a declaration that you’ve accepted Lord Jesus Christ as Messiah but fail to follow his teachings.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

I believe his word answers your question perfectly.

Ezekiel 18:20-22
20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.

Ezekiel 18:24
24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Y
Jesus takes away all our sins. He paid the price and released us from all penalty or judgement. He took that upon Himself. There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ. Romans 8:1. Some believe we receive rewards for good works we have done. But our sins will not be brought up. We have been forgiven, they have been taken away and we have been judged righteous because we stand ind Christ’s righteousness.

Upvote 0