• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Will it get better?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am 53-now 54 at the time of this editing-years old. I live in an appartment. I have worked as a security guard at the same place for 25 years and the security contract is coming up for a bid and I may or may not be retained. I also suffer from periodic bouts of depression but I have not been diagnosed as such. I would like a better job but as each day and year passes it looks less likely. Can God give me a better situation and/or somehow make my life less miserable? Can anyone speak from personal experience?

That sounds very stressful. Yes, my friend, it can get better. I know from experience. God has granted me so many blessings and improvements in my life. My life is certainly not perfect - to some people it may look poor, but to me right now I feel very blessed.

Depression is so rough. Not just because it is difficult to endure, but because it makes it easier to lose sight of hope, blessings you do have, and casts a grey cloud over so much, even happiness. It is certainly NOT always just about having a change of mind either. It can take a lot of work and strength and drains you at the same time. My prayers are with you on feeling better.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I use to go there but when you have a gpa of 1.4 I quickly and painfully realized that college is not for me.
I don't know about that.
What course or courses were you taking, and why did you get the 1.4? There is a lot that can be resolved with the instructor.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟165,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course things can get better and of course God can improve your circumstances.

I'm almost 56 and on my fourth career. I've been a drug dealer, a carpenter with his own home improvement business, a group home counselor and administrator, and now a professional MH counselor (soon to start my own practice, God willing). I will confide it was challenging to have to sell myself again when I got out of graduate school but I got through it (it helps to understand there's a difference between being humble and being humbled and being humiliated).

When reading you reply, though, I was struck by the thought of an atypical reply: perhaps the security guard work has been good for you. It's might be construed to be a very adaptive way of maintain employment amidst fluctuating moods that are on occasion flat, sad, morose (or however your depression manifests itself.

Treatment for depression takes three main courses: biological, core issue, and social. For most people with chronic depression there some sort of chemical imbalance and medication is warranted and effective. Medication won't solve any root problem or provide coping and maintenance skills, though, so counseling is invariably required. Lastly, there is a reciprocal relationship between depression and isolation: isolation begets depression and depression begets isolation and under enduring or extreme conditions this can spiral out of control where the person with depression won't get out bed to collaborate with even the mildest social interaction.

Your work as a security guard may provide you with a functional amount of "alone time" and still keep you connected just enough to maintain some level of functional spiritual, psychological, emotional, relational health.

Counseling should/could easily help you address your challenges.

I'd start simply by spending some time in silence asking God a series of "What's next?" inquiries. Start by phrasing the prayers so they can be answered with a simple, "yes" or "no." Few of us have the spiritual maturity and spiritual intuition to hear long dissertations from God, so don't ask for an essay if you lack the skills, patience, and discernment to hear an essay. Instead, keep it simple and keep doing what you're doing until you've some confidence where God's leading next.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And prior to that I went to a private institution that taught computer programming. This didn't last long since I was taken aside by my instructor and he told me that I just wasn't getting it. This institution closed about a year or two later.
Ok. Then to hades with them, then. They're gone, they're the losers, don't let them being losers make you a loser.

GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!!

Only thing stopping you is you.

Coincidentally, did you know that a 20 year old man with a college degree & fresh out of college (at or about a year) (or woman) actually makes less that a person in their 40's or 50's that just finished college for the same degree?

GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!!

Only thing stopping you is you.

Don't let the losers in life make you a loser. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0