Will I be punished for the sins of my parents?

Lyllie

Jan 12, 2017
Australia
✟18,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I'm new here and a new Christian and have a couple of questions. I'm not sure if I'm asking these in the right section so apologies in advance if I'm not.

Firstly, my parents were very abusive. Physically, mentally, emotionally to a degree that I can't accurately put in to words. My Father went to prison for his role in the abuse and my Mother would have had it been know that she was involved. Neither have shown any remorse and my Mother actually repeated her role in it many years later so clearly never learnt a lesson.

I have prayed for them both and asked God for help in forgiving them and to take the evil from their hearts and help them to find forgiveness and peace in God.

I have no idea where my Father is but my Mother is elderly and I have cared for her and have her live with me numerous times over the years and treated her with kindness. Currently she is living with someone else but it is too much for them and we have put her on the waiting list for a nursing home.

My questions are:

Will I go to hell because of the sins of my parents?
Will I go to hell or disappoint God by putting my Mother in a nursing home?
And even though I have forgiven in words and asked for help to forgive more, I still get a horrible feeling when I think of my parents and know that deep in my heart there is unforgiven things. Does wanting and trying to forgive count?

I don't just want to say I'm a Christian, I want to live like one and I'm scared that these things will mean that no matter what I do I will never be good enough.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, I'm new here and a new Christian and have a couple of questions. I'm not sure if I'm asking these in the right section so apologies in advance if I'm not.

Firstly, my parents were very abusive. Physically, mentally, emotionally to a degree that I can't accurately put in to words. My Father went to prison for his role in the abuse and my Mother would have had it been know that she was involved. Neither have shown any remorse and my Mother actually repeated her role in it many years later so clearly never learnt a lesson.

I have prayed for them both and asked God for help in forgiving them and to take the evil from their hearts and help them to find forgiveness and peace in God.

I have no idea where my Father is but my Mother is elderly and I have cared for her and have her live with me numerous times over the years and treated her with kindness. Currently she is living with someone else but it is too much for them and we have put her on the waiting list for a nursing home.

My questions are:

And even though I have forgiven in words and asked for help to forgive more, I still get a horrible feeling when I think of my parents and know that deep in my heart there is unforgiven things. Does wanting and trying to forgive count?

I don't just want to say I'm a Christian, I want to live like one and I'm scared that these things will mean that no matter what I do I will never be good enough.
No way you will go to hell for something someone else does. Taking care of your Mom now is good. Keep praying for her. Forgive your Mom & Dad and pray for your Dad. God loves you, the Holy Spirit ministers to you, Jesus is the Lord of your life!!

• Winner
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

acehighinfinity2015

Born again
Sep 7, 2014
✟8,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

My questions are:

Welcome to the CF!

Nope, well since no one gave you any biblical references: Ezekiel 18:20 ""The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself."

We are all sinners and accountable to our own action. However, thanks to Jesus through Faith in Christ we are saved and not by works.

Oh dear you put your Mother in a nursing home? Naughty girl...lol kidding. Forgiving can take time to heal. It is part of the journey grounding your foundation. Don't sweat it

Bless!

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are HIS workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." ~ Ephesians 2:8-10

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yahu_

Nov 16, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
✟18,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

First off, sins of the parents do pass generational curses down their line but they can be broken. This is why things like abuse or alcoholism passes in family lines. It is not genetic but spiritual. It is spiritual forces passed down family lines that propagate from generation to generation.

NO, sins of the parents will not effect your salvation! If you repented and believe in the forgiving grace of Yeshua, don't fear hell. Everything after that pertains to your spiritual growth process and effects heavenly rewards, not being sent to hell. There may be a few exceptions like totally renouncing your salvation. You don't earn your way into heaven, it is a free gift.

IMO, there is much false teaching on the topic of unforgiveness. In the parable given, the servant ASKED to be forgiven but the other servant said NO. Unforgiveness is when you are asked to forgive an offense and say NO, as I see it. To have unresolved conflict with an individual is not unforgiveness. You have to have a willingness to forgiven when someone is repentant just as God forgives when asked. This is a lesson I teach when doing rape counseling. It is very hard for a rape victim to just forgive an unrepentant rapist. Just don't take the position of 'I WILL NOT FORGIVE'.

There is no such things as 'being good enough'. None of us are or can be good enough on our own. You don't buy your way into the heavenly kingdom with works. Overcoming error is how we grow spiritually and it earns us greater glory, wealth, status and positions of authority in the heavenly kingdom.

Sin in your life will hinder spiritual growth but not exclude you from the forgiveness of sins. The rest of your life is the battle to overcome error to sanctify your soul. It is a process that takes the rest of your life.

• Informative
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

My questions are:

Deut 24:16 Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, my parents were very abusive. Physically, mentally, emotionally to a degree that I can't accurately put in to words.

It sounds like you have been punished.
Hard to argue against that.
We are saved by Faith that Jesus did enough
to cover our sins.
Dad is not involved in that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish I had read this thread a week ago...
Last week with my confirmands we read through the 10 Commandments. The reading in Exodus says that God will punish those who worship idols down through the next three generations. This of course blew the minds of the young men I'm mentoring. I remembered that these verses listed above exist, as well as the sacrifice of Jesus reconciling man and God, so I told them such verses declaring one's individual responsibility for his or her life before God existed and they should not worry about their parents' sins biting them in the rear.
However it would have been great to have these references to look up.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wish I had read this thread a week ago...
Last week with my confirmands we read through the 10 Commandments. The reading in Exodus says that God will punish those who worship idols down through the next three generations. This of course blew the minds of the young men I'm mentoring. I remembered that these verses listed above exist, as well as the sacrifice of Jesus reconciling man and God, so I told them such verses declaring one's individual responsibility for his or her life before God existed and they should not worry about their parents' sins biting them in the rear.
However it would have been great to have these references to look up.

New testament believers will suffer no curses.

A Sinless Christ Became a Curse & Delivered Us from ALL the Laws curses.

Gen 3:
17 (B) """cursed is the ground for thy sake"""

18 """Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee"""

In the garden God imposed a curse of:
"""THORNS & THISTLES"""

A Crown shows Kingship:

When they placed the CROWN of THORNS on Christ head. He WAS MADE A CURSE & became KING of Curses.

Galatians 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the "curse of the law"" """being made a curse""" for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(Keeping the Law brought blessing. Jesus kept the Law. Not keeping the Law brought curses. A sinless Jesus kept the Law. And deserved the Law's blessings. Yet, """WAS MADE A CURSE""" and became a curse to take our due judgment. And then gives us His Righteousness. Romans 1:17, 3:22, 4:24, Phil 3:9, 2 Cor 5:21)

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
(Through faith placed in Christ's sacrifice. Believers Jews & Gentiles receive Abrahams promises)

Faith in Christ deliver's every believer from the curses imposed for breaking the Law. Because a sinless Christ WAS MADE & became a curse bearing all their sin.

SEE THE LAW'S CURSES CHRIST TOOK UPON HIMSELF WHEN HE"

""WAS MADE A CURSE"":

Deut 28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

The next 53 verses are the curses to be imposed for breaking the Law

All curses paid in full, on every believers behalf. By The Lord Jesus, thank you Jesus! Maranatha

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0