Will Humanity exhaust the possibilities of Evolution, or get stuck in a niche?

How many times can you miss an opportunity to evolve (by self-punctuating)?

• one, then you need to repent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two, then you need to chose which to repent

• three, then you need to repent in general

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • four, then you need to repent both in general and specifically

• unknown, you need to put it in the hands of the Holy Spirit

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • you need to repent anyway, if you want to live

• Total voters

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think you know the difference between the tree trunk (sin nature) and the fruit (individual sins).
I don't wander around the forest looking for houses made from candy because Hansel and Gretel says it's there. Nor do I expect there to be a Mt. Olympus with a passel of gods living on top of it. I don't think that every thunder storm is accompanied by a foul-tempered Zeus hurling lightening bolts at the earth. In the same vein I do not believe in angels or demons. I don't believe that crucifying some rabbi nearly 2,000 years ago had a darned thing to do with my personal failings. I know that life on earth evolved, it was not created. So the story of Adam and Eve is not true. Thus there was no "original sin." We cannot be held responsible by some deity for what they did. Nor could we even if they had existed.

Yes, it's that simple. Your convoluted tally of what a "sin" is just doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As I said before, even if hypothetically a person lived his life without committing a single sin,* he would still die and go to Hell.

Without the shed blood of Jesus Christ, he would have to atone for his own sin nature.

And that means he would have to stay there for all eternity.

* For the record though, dying without getting saved first is itself a sin. Specifically it's called "Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost." So living all your life "sinless" is an impossibility.
Wait though... what if someone is a really good person but not a Christian. How can we be sure they'll become Christians and give us their money?

I know...

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hell is full of "rational human beings."
If hell is full of rational human beings then it follows that there is no room for anything other than rational human beings. Therefore it necessarily follows that the Devil and his assistant demons are all rational human beings. In an odd way our two views coincide exactly on this point.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If hell is full of rational human beings then it follows that there is no room for anything other than rational human beings. Therefore it necessarily follows that the Devil and his assistant demons are all rational human beings. In an odd way our two views coincide exactly on this point.

We know AV isn't a bot because this is the kind of post that would cause a bot to implode in a logical inspiral. (At least it worked for Captain Kirk.)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We know AV isn't a bot because this is the kind of post that would cause a bot to implode in a logical inspiral. (At least it worked for Captain Kirk.)
True, but I do have some hope it will annoy him. :)

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Repenting of sins has nothing to do with evolution since repentance and sinning are religious concepts and evolution is not religion.

Whether you do or do not do something moral with what you believe, is entirely a question which is a matter of faith.

You can't hide from it; at best you may be able to drag it out, at some point.

I'm not trying to tell you which sin it is that you are not acting on - for Evolution - only that it is possible that you are sinning, for specifically Evolutionary reasons.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
That is one of the most ridiculous things ever foisted onto us by religion.

Here's a guy who we say is the first guy. Here's his wife. They sinned so now everyone is tainted by what they did.

They're not real. The sin isn't real and the taint isn't real.

But by all means you should proclaim that some more and in all caps.

No, it's not foisting anything.

If it were foisting on you anything, it would be a specific example of sin that you are guilty of.

No-one here is saying you are guilty of a specific "sin".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Whether you do or do not do something moral with what you believe, is entirely a question which is a matter of faith.

You can't hide from it; at best you may be able to drag it out, at some point.

I'm not trying to tell you which sin it is that you are not acting on - for Evolution - only that it is possible that you are sinning, for specifically Evolutionary reasons.

But sinning and sin have nothing to do with evolution because sinning and sin are facets of religion and faith, while evolution is simply biological science.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic

You are assuming rational beings have power, to keep room for themselves.

Does not pass.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
But sinning and sin have nothing to do with evolution because sinning and sin are facets of religion and faith, while evolution is simply biological science.

Yes, but if you think you can observe "biological science" when it is not there, your faith has failed you.

You don't need to do the science "again", until you have re-calibrated your "faith".

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So for twenty years you were "suckered" into thinking sin existed ... right?

Can you think of a way that you're alive right now because you believed it?

Do you have any friends who are addicted to smoking? gambling? in prison? have AIDS? or whatever, because of their life choices?
Most people here (Sweden) are life long atheists. We live very good lives.

I take it that was it not for your religious beliefs you would then do drugs, visit prostitutes and gamble away your money. That tells us a lot about your (lack of) morals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
The whole point, is that with faith, we know when we have gone too far: if God is not there, faithfully, we have obfuscated something we shouldn't have.

The same can be said of science: if you aren't motivated by God to discover, you are feeding the probability that your science is pure imagination.

Not that science can't be about imagination, but fiction is a better choice, for the imagination, than science.

I don't have to tell you, that there is plenty about Man's attempt at science, that have been pure imagination - and no help at all.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You are assuming rational beings have power, to keep room for themselves.

Does not pass.
Not at all. The statement I was addressing declared that "hell was full of rational human beings". If it is "full" then, by definition, there is no room for any more, or any other, people or entities. The ability, or inability, of rational people human beings to "keep room for themselves" is not relevant in any way. The "fullness" of hell has been independently determined as is made clear by the grammar and vocabulary of the original statement. Only by acknowledging an error in the original statement can the conclusion be altered.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but if you think you can observe "biological science" when it is not there, your faith has failed you.

You don't need to do the science "again", until you have re-calibrated your "faith".

Let me repeat: But sinning and sin have nothing to do with evolution because sinning and sin are facets of religion and faith, while evolution is simply biological science.

Upvote 0