Will Humanity exhaust the possibilities of Evolution, or get stuck in a niche?

How many times can you miss an opportunity to evolve (by self-punctuating)?

• one, then you need to repent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two, then you need to chose which to repent

• three, then you need to repent in general

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • four, then you need to repent both in general and specifically

• unknown, you need to put it in the hands of the Holy Spirit

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • you need to repent anyway, if you want to live

• Total voters

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always considered it offensive.
Perhaps you don't savor the things that be of God?

Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,042.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps you don't savor the things that be of God?

Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
I suppose God might be irrelevant and so substitute 'the things that be of God', with a more positive attitude and think of humans as only occasionally displaying nastiness, yet are able to self-recognise that, then make our own amends .. on our own accord.
We are autonomous and thinking creatures .. so use those intrinsic capabilities!

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sure.

We're all sinners.

And anyone who says they don't sin, just sinned.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And to be very clear:

I do not find the idea of sin to be a viable one. It is dependent on a god, and gods make no sense.

I spent 20 years having sin (and the notion that we are all sinners) preached at me for 20 years. I know what is meant by it and I just don't buy it.

I reject the book that these ideas come from because I do not find the ideas in it plausible. Whether it be the 500-year old version you're fond of, or the carefully curated 20th century translation that was used in my old Church.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Indeed. If they cannot explain it in a way that others (more than just those who already agree) can understand, then they don't understand what they are defending.
The problem of course is that some refuse to understand.

Unfortunately over the years I have found that creationists never want to know what actually happened. Instead they are looking for excuses to keep believing as they do. None of them will try to properly test their beliefs. They will try to say that "You are testing God" and that is not allowed in the Bible when what we are actually doing is testing their beliefs about God.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I spent 20 years having sin (and the notion that we are all sinners) preached at me for 20 years. I know what is meant by it and I just don't buy it.
Did you buy it for those twenty years?

If so, you just may be alive today because you did.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you buy it for those twenty years?

If so, you just may be alive today because you did.

Yes, I was a sucker.

There is nothing that the Church taught that could have saved my life from anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing that the Church taught that could have saved my life from anything.
So for twenty years you were "suckered" into thinking sin existed ... right?

Can you think of a way that you're alive right now because you believed it?

Do you have any friends who are addicted to smoking? gambling? in prison? have AIDS? or whatever, because of their life choices?

• Prayers
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So for twenty years you were "suckered" into thinking sin existed ... right?

Can you think of a way that you're alive right now because you believed it?

Do you have any friends who are addicted to smoking? gambling? in prison? have AIDS? or whatever, because of their life choices?

Why do you assume that a person cannot be self destructive while being a Christian? In fact I can name a practice that is self destructive that a higher percentage of Christians follow than atheists follow. The sad thing is that their actions will take others with them.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you assume that a person cannot be self destructive while being a Christian?
I'm asking a valid question, Sub.

How about you?

Did it ever occur to you that you may be alive today because you, or someone else, believes/believed in sin?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, Jesus.
Hans, I'm trying to have a serious conversation here.

Didn't you say this:

So "it" is Jesus now?

If my question is too hard, let's just drop "it," shall we?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hans, I'm trying to have a serious conversation here.

For us to have a serious conversation about religion we would need to go elsewhere as a proper, systematic exposition of my positions and opinions on the subject is incompatible with the restrictions I am under on this site.

Didn't you say this:

So "it" is Jesus now?

If my question is too hard, let's just drop "it," shall we?

I was referring to "sin" earlier, but it is just a secondary effect. If I hadn't fallen for the whole God/Jesus thing, I wouldn't have given the "sin" thing any serious consideration.

I only believed any of it because I trusted the people who told me it was true. That is no path to truth. It is why I won't just take your word for it, nor "Paul"'s word or any other writer of the bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I only believed any of it because I trusted the people who told me it was true. That is no path to truth. It is why I won't just take your word for it, nor "Paul"'s word or any other writer of the bible.
Fair enough. I'll drop it.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm asking a valid question, Sub.

How about you?

Did it ever occur to you that you may be alive today because you, or someone else, believes/believed in sin?
It appears that you only think that you are. Why do you think that some Christian beliefs would make any difference? From what I have seen most Christians are decent in spite of their religion.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
It appears that you only think that you are. Why do you think that some Christian beliefs would make any difference? From what I have seen most Christians are decent in spite of their religion.
People without extremist views are generally pretty decent. There's no statistical evidence that the concept of sin has any bearing on life expectancy. Religious societies seem to score lower for many measures of well-being than secular ones, although it's not clear whether there's a causal relation and if so, in which direction it runs.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status