Will God suffer emotionally for eternity for those in hell?

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Trying to wrap my head around this...God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain? In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?
God does not "suffer" because He is omniscient, omnipotent and immutable. The concept of God suffering is an anthropomorphism.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yep. Let God be true.

He warned His creation from the beginning, and still gave him a way to be reconciled to Him through the death of His only begotten Son. Yet for those who still refused regardless and still would not listen to His warnings, they will have proven to have done so to their own eternal destruction. :sigh:

It wasn't no joke that He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus the Christ, to suffer and die for us, was it? It must've been eternally crucial for Him to do such a thing, since, in essence, He was giving Himself, through His Son.

It was no "light" matter.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God does not "suffer" because He is omniscient, omnipotent and immutable. The concept of God suffering is an anthropomorphism.

Would you care to elaborate on what an anthropomorphism is?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's when human beings project a strictly human trait to God. Humans may suffer, but God does not.

This is most interesting.

You have a profound point about suffering....

would you elaborate, if you don't mind?

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trying to wrap my head around this...God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain? In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?
I think if he puts people there, he's had it with them.
Psalm 95 verse 11
So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'"

Hebrews chapter 3 verse 11
So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'"

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God's peace is never disturbed. He is eternal and can not change. He is not changed by the temporal things of creation.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's when human beings project a strictly human trait to God. Humans may suffer, but God does not.

Strangely enough, this is the same argument another brother was using earlier as well. To suggest God will not suffer seems very much in line with the argument that He doesn't need anyone, to which I reply that He very much does need us.

See Posts #4 and #10 in the following thread:
God's jealousy

Upvote 0

Restless heart

Sep 7, 2017
Halifax
✟17,489.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God's peace is never disturbed. He is eternal and can not change. He is not changed by the temporal things of creation.

He is not changed, but He has emotions. He deeply loves us. So, existing and knowing that so much if His creation is suffering would move Him in some way I would think. Or does He implement justice and then just not think about them?

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain?

No. This is not a biblical concept.

In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?

No. This is found nowhere in the Bible.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Strangely enough, this is the same argument another brother was using earlier as well. To suggest God will not suffer seems very much in line with the argument that He doesn't need anyone, to which I reply that He very much does need us.

See Posts #4 and #10 in the following thread:
God's jealousy

How does God "need" us?

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ambc

Mark 12:30-31
Aug 18, 2017
Houston, TX
✟20,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

People in hell are aligned with Satan by default. Since Satan is God's mortal enemy, it follows that all condemned spirits are also the enemies of God. There is no reason for God to feel sorry for demons (spirits of people in hell) who oppose him.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Restless heart

Sep 7, 2017
Halifax
✟17,489.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
@Restless heart, did God do enough?

I believe God is just even though I can't fathom people suffering for eternity.
Yes, He did enough.
Still, I guess I wonder if, after the end times and all the believers are in heaven, will God ever think about the lost souls who are suffering
Is He wrong about His justice?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe God is just even though I can't fathom people suffering for eternity.
Yes, He did enough.
Still, I guess I wonder if, after the end times and all the believers are in heaven, will God ever think about the lost souls who are suffering

Satan included?

• Useful
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He deeply loves us.

Who do you mean by "us"? Clearly this is not every single human being that has ever existed.

Romans 9:13 As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Psalms 5:5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.

So, existing and knowing that so much if His creation is suffering would move Him in some way I would think.

God's holiness, truth, perfection, righteousness, justice is not founded upon His emotions. And God does not have emotions as humans have emotions. God's emotions are found in His holiness, truth and perfection, not the other way around.

Upvote 0