Will God save those led astray by heresy?

friend of

A private in Gods army
Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟753,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would like to think that those who fall victim to erroneous doctrines and teachings about the Christian faith, God would redeem by their sincerity. He is merciful, after all. Is it really anyone's fault if they are taken in by a deceiver but mean well in their profession? We know so little and are so limited in our understandings. Paul warned about believing a different (heretical) gospel though, a gospel that doesn't save. Will God excuse our ignorance, which may be great, if we are spiritually attached to faith in Christ's propitiation? A verse for context below:

2 Peter 2
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping

friend of

A private in Gods army
Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟753,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. I'm curious, what's the motivation for this question?

It's just a question I thought of. I don't have an agenda

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's just a question I thought of. I don't have an agenda
Ah, well it seems like a dangerous question to me. Could possibly give false assurance. Better to simply operate under the presumption heretics will not receive mercy and are in desperate need of correction.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟753,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ah, well it seems like a dangerous question to me. Could possibly give false assurance. Better to simply operate under the presumption heretics will not receive mercy and are in desperate need of correction.
The reason I ask is because it seems like ascribing to heresy can be something people don't really have control over all the time. If ignorant people knew they were ignorant, they would cease being ignorant. I believe God does hold people accountable for their ignorance to some extent, but He can also show mercy if He chooses.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I ask is because it seems like ascribing to heresy can be something people don't really have control over all the time. If ignorant people knew they were ignorant, they would cease being ignorant. I believe God does hold people accountable for their ignorance to some extent, but He can also show mercy if He chooses.
I don't know if heresy can be said to be a matter of ignorance, as part of rising to the level of being a heretic is continually resisting correction. Heretics aren't simply mistaken about some doctrine or other, but flagrantly and defiantly denying an essential aspect of the faith.

• Agree
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to think that those who fall victim to erroneous doctrines and teachings about the Christian faith, God would redeem by their sincerity. He is merciful, after all. Is it really anyone's fault if they are taken in by a deceiver but mean well in their profession? We know so little and are so limited in our understandings. Paul warned about believing a different (heretical) gospel though, a gospel that doesn't save. Will God excuse our ignorance, which may be great, if we are spiritually attached to faith in Christ's propitiation? A verse for context below:

2 Peter 2
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping

A person isn't saved by how accurate their doctrine is but by their heart for Christ. The only way I could see it affecting their salvation if it has lead them away from Christ.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟123,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's a difference between believing heresy and being a heretic and there is also a difference between being a heretic and being apostate. One may, relatively innocently, believe heresy if it is what you were taught and never heard the truth. But being a heretic means that one has known the truth and rejected it in favour of a heresy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benadamm

Mar 30, 2019
arizona
✟17,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
A person isn't saved by how accurate their doctrine is but by their heart for Christ. The only way I could see it affecting their salvation if it has lead them away from Christ.
According to John it's when someone is teaching that denies the hypostatic union.

Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is teaching from God.
This teaching assumes acceptance that Jesus is fully God and fully man.

That is followed by

every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God.

Teaching that Jesus is God but not man is what Gnostics were teaching.

This undermines the authority of the Apostles witness of Jesus' public ministry.

Gnostics belief that matter is evil and that Jesus was God but His humanity was illusion.

The key is ' come '.
Jesus Christ is not a man that rejected human flesh and ascended to divinity. Which is what Gnostic asceticism was about. They tried to claim Jesus was a successful Gnostic.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well there's Romans 2:12-16

"For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel."

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think a problem though is heresy is subjective. I'm sure both you and I are considered heretics at least in part by some segments of Christianity.

Upvote 0

benadamm

Mar 30, 2019
arizona
✟17,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I think a problem though is heresy is subjective. I'm sure both you and I are considered heretics at least in part by some segments of Christianity.
. Funny. Yup it does seem like everyone is somebody's heretic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

2 Peter 2
If one is filled with His Holy Spirit there is no chance in falling for doctrines of demons unless the Spirit is " quenched" with itching ears. Peter indicates many will follow such depraved conduct meaning they are walking in darkness. That being said, God knows the heart.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While it has been loosely applied, and there can be some grey area, I don't think it's accurate to say it is subjective. Though I make a distinction between heterodox, shismatic, and heretic. A heretic is one who's doctrine undermines the deity of Christ and His salvific power, especially one who denies something within the Nicene creed. They are outside of the faith and have entered into a new religion. So while it is thrown around carelessly by some, heretic is a useful term to describe someone who is in such error that they can no longer be called a Christian.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Will God save those led astray by heresy?" Did He find you? For me heresy is not say gifts, faith, prosperity. These are doctrines we agree with or not all based on the word yet we interpret them differently. Talking about Jesus is not who He said He was, didn't die or did never rose. Other ways to the Father, adding another book. Some hmm places have them "heresy's" in their mists.

He said if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains. So who's Jesus are we talking about? Each group know they are right. He knows this :)

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

2 Peter 2
Yes if they belong to Christ by election, He will redeem them from all iniquity which includes heresy's Titus 2:14

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟271,779.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason I ask is because it seems like ascribing to heresy can be something people don't really have control over all the time. If ignorant people knew they were ignorant, they would cease being ignorant
I believe God grants the grace to each of us to follow Him and His Church. If one ascribes to heresy, maybe it is because they are deaf to His call.

So yes, God will hold each of us accountable for believing in heretical ideas.

Upvote 0