• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

WIll God let me change my mind?

Elzic

Jun 4, 2011
✟7,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are planning a vacation for next week. We don't have a lot of money but the WDW tickets are covered and 2 nights are covered. The other night I prayed that God would help us be wise with money and I had the thought that we shouldn't go, so I have been worrying a lot. I recently received a 50 dollar Mastercard gift card from a parent for Teacher Appreciation week and felt like that was a blessing that would help us on our trip, but I still can't stop worrying. I keep worrying and praying my OCD prayers about having to do certain things for everything to be ok or I might pray something and tell GOd that I would do a certain thing, so that I can feel ok about making a decision, but then if I don't follow through, I feel like now the trip will be wrong. If I knowingly did something that I had prayed would be make it wrong, can I change my mind? I really want to go on the trip but don't want it to mean anything bad that I might have said.

Elzic

Jun 4, 2011
✟7,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, just to clarify, I feel bad putting my worries in writing, because my husband said not to worry about vows and stuff unless I wrote them down, so I wouldn't worry about things I say and pray, but that makes me worry when I want to write ABOUT it. But the previous post is just that, about it, not me making some kind of promise in writing. I had to change my medication and lower it because of pregnancy, and I'm not sleeping as well so maybe that is part of my stress issues.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you have already paid then you should go and when you return you can begin to work of this problem. Going on a vacation is not sinful and you are not committing any kind of violation against God since your prayers were for your own self interest.

Upvote 0

Human4

May 10, 2016
India
✟7,713.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hi
The only way out of religious ocd is to BREAK THE RULE.If you are ever to come out of OCD then this must happen wheather intentionally("OK i have had enough,now I will break the ocd") OR accidently (just out of desperation and frustation ,without thinking much you just break it!).Its better if it happens intentionally
You cannot be like "ok i will do this ritual just one las time and then I will never do my ocd!"
NO that will not work.You have to BREAK a ritual.
I suffered badly for my religious fears for 1 and half year.
I had to break it and now I am no longer afraid of God.Its better if you consider God as a phenomenon instead of your father/friend because then you worry about you making him angry.
I have destroyed so much time of my life because of this ocd.Losing sleep,multiple showers,multiple prayers,not eating etc etc
Then after I broke the ritual (although unintentionally) I was relieved!I turned to atheism at that time and my life was immediately better!
At present I have started believing in god again but now I belive God is phenomenon and praying him is not a way.Your deeds are only thing that matters.He will keep affecting your life for good or worse but as I said this is a phenomenon,being afraid of him or praying him or being completely unafraid of him is not going to change the events of your life.So its better not to be afraid of him at all and enjoy your life.Believe in God but be emotionally unattached to him just like you do with wind or light etc
Not getting sleep because of fear of God?
Lady you are pregnant just think how the anxiety is affecting your health and more importantly the baby's health.
This might be a good time to break your OCD no matter how wrong it appears, because there is no other way...BREAK THE RULE

Upvote 0