Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No.

Satan's fate is known:

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No.

Satan's fate is known:

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

But in the book of Jonah, God promises destruction to the city of Nineveh, but He doesn't carry up His judgement in the end because the city of Nineveh repents. Won't that mean that God can change his mind about his pronounced judgment if the inhabitants prove to be repentant? Then, if Satan should choose to repent, won't it mean that God will change His mind about the proposed judgment He had chosen for Satan in the book of revelation.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But in the book of Jonah, God promises destruction to the city of Nineveh, but He doesn't carry up His judgement in the end because the city of Nineveh repents. Won't that mean that God can change his mind about his pronounced judgment if the inhabitants prove to be repentant? Then, if Satan should choose to repent, won't it mean that God will change His mind about the proposed judgment He had chosen for Satan in the book of revelation.

In theory, yes, if Satan repented God would forgive him.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If one day, satan decides to repent, will God forgive him?
COL 1:19 For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell,
20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

I read the testimony of a pastor who was pondering this very question you just asked, when the Spirit brought to mind this verse above and said; "What needed to be 'reconciled in the heavens'?"

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
COL 1:19 For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell,
20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

I read the testimony of a pastor who was pondering this very question you just asked, when the Spirit brought to mind this verse above and said; "What needed to be 'reconciled in the heavens'?"
Human beings in heaven are still reconciled to God through Christ.

Hebrews 2:16Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
16 For, as we all know, He [Christ] did not take hold of angels [the fallen angels, to give them a helping and delivering hand], but He did take hold of [the fallen] descendants of Abraham [to reach out to them a helping and delivering hand].

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That's a question that has been asked throughout Christian history and there is no definitive answer. Some, such as Origen hold out hope that even the devils--including even Satan--might eventually find redemption; others have said it is entirely impossible. The perhaps more common, historic answer is that we can't know, and it's not worth worrying about. There are a number of stories concerning ancient monks pondering such questions, one has a monk who prays for the devil's salvation, and sees an evil looking wolf in the distance laughing and mocking him as he prays, he realizes that it is the devil come to mock him for praying for his salvation.

Scripture reveals to us nothing about the possible redemption or salvation of the fallen angels, but concerns itself only with the redemption and salvation of this fallen world in which we inhabit and our salvation as human beings--beyond this it is simply impossible for us to speak dogmatically.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No.

Satan's fate is known:

Since the Book of Revelation has a lot of symbolism and refers to the church leaders at the time, I'm not sure if it can be seen as a vision of the future.

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall asking that question of my grandfather (a pastor) when I was about six years old. His response was, "Satan fully knew what he was doing."

Contrary to the assertion of a lot of Christians, I don't think Satan was ever deluded for the slightest moment prior to Christ's incarnation that he was greater than Christ--he totally understood Colossians 1.

He might have deluded himself when Christ was incarnated and entered the realm of humanity. But not before.

Reactions: SpunkyDoodle
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Apparently the bible tells us Satan won't repent.

I've once heard we have salvation because our fall was due to deception..Satans wasn't.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since the Book of Revelation has a lot of symbolism and refers to the church leaders at the time, I'm not sure if it can be seen as a vision of the future.

The book all but begins by saying that John is seeing that which was, is and will be. 1/3rd of the book is prophetic.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recall asking that question of my grandfather (a pastor) when I was about six years old. His response was, "Satan fully knew what he was doing."

Greetings RD. I am not sure I like his answer. :) See, in Hebrew we have three words that were translated in 3 different ways and they depict three different ways we can fall short. Chata'ah is sin, missing the mark, but is really unintentional or unknown. Pesha is rebellion, it is KNOWING what God wants and deliberately choosing another path. Avon is between the two, transgression/iniquity.

Have you ever KNOWN what God wanted and chose another path? I know many who have and eventually they stopped running and turned and repented and I think God shows mercy on those who do. If Satan "knew what he was doing" (I agree with that) then one would think God might extend that same mercy he might shows humans who rebel? I think it has to be more than just that, however, perhaps that was a good answer for a 6 year old. :) Satan desired to BE GOD, and perhaps the line that does appear to be drawn between him and his ability to be redeemed... has more to do with something like that rather than him just knowing and then choosing against God?

I don't know.. thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nope. For whatever reason God has not given the fallen angels another chance. For all we know they may have used up any chances at repentance.

No, the fallen angels destiny is set as it states in the Book of Revelation. They will be thrown into the Lake of Fire.

Reactions: SpunkyDoodle
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And? Is that the same as not repenting?
How is getting cast in the Lake of Fire the same as repenting?

God is not offering repentance for the fallen angels. They have already been found guilty. There destiny is set.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Contrary to the assertion of a lot of Christians, I don't think Satan was ever deluded for the slightest moment prior to Christ's incarnation that he was greater than Christ--he totally understood Colossians 1.

He might have deluded himself when Christ was incarnated and entered the realm of humanity. But not before.
I would think it is the other way around, exactly the opposite.

Upvote 0