Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friend is dating a mormon who is about to go to his mission next month. She really loves this guy and we’ve been praying for this relationship to work. Although at the end of the day it’s God’s will. All my friend wants is him to convert to a Christian so they can both serve God together in the future. Because I am not spiritually mature enough, my question is... since God loves us as sinners and he would always want a relationship walking towards him - will he convert someone from another belief to align as a Christian?

• Prayers
Reactions: saved24

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God calls people from every walk of life. He can overcome any obstacle. Just keep on praying that He will call your friend's boyfriend to Him. God will answer your prayers in His timing.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers.
For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness?
And what communion has light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14 NKJV

Mormonism is a cult.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friend is dating a mormon who is about to go to his mission next month. She really loves this guy and we’ve been praying for this relationship to work. Although at the end of the day it’s God’s will. All my friend wants is him to convert to a Christian so they can both serve God together in the future. Because I am not spiritually mature enough, my question is... since God loves us as sinners and he would always want a relationship walking towards him - will he convert someone from another belief to align as a Christian?
God calls us all, but evangelism through dating is not the way to do it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would not count on it. They can have family ties that will encourage them to divorce if they get married. They should stop dating until he turns his life upside down and converts first. Otherwise he will resent her attempting to change him. He needs to change with no involvement from her otherwise it will tear them up later.

Male Mormons have less respect for women in general.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
That depends on the individual. Mormons generally see no need to be converted. They have their own beliefs. I've shaken a couple of Mormons, I've made them think, but I've never led one to Christ. It's hard when they think that you are the one who needs converting. They are pretty well indoctrinated. It's liek they've been immunised against the truth.

The real danger is that your friend gets deceived by the Mormon. Or compromises to keep the relationship. The problem is not with God. He is not willing that any should perish but that all should be saved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

God can do that, of course, but experience shows that Mormons are often very resistant to that kind of conversion. I think it is because they have been taught that they ARE just as much Christians as are Presbyterians, Lutherans, etc...except that they have extra inside information thanks to all their own sacred literature.

• Agree
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
he convert someone from another belief to align as a Christian?
He certainly can and does, so keep praying. But it's critical that your friend does not get ahead of God.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God will call but it’s uncertain whether or not the individual will answer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Mormon god is not the same as the Christian God.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The "bottom line" here, Kolleen, may be that your friend should not count on the guy converting if he's shown no interest in that already.

If that is the case, what should she do--try for "live and let live?" (respect each other's religion). It looks as though that would not be sufficient for her, although it might be for some other couples.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Odds are that his real desire will be to convert her.

Also very good odds that she will end up
being unequally yoked.

Bad odds all the way around.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It happens. But she doesn't know if or when it will happen to him. And many people find that God is not at their beck and call to completely change the beliefs of their non-Christian significant others on their schedule.

Furthermore, Mormons who go on mission are reputed to be the most devoted Mormons there are. No reason has been shared with us to indicate he is actually open to abandoning his Mormon beliefs. It's possible that he's wanting to convert her. If that is the case, that would harmonize with the Mormon belief that women cannot go to Heaven unless they are married to a man.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Attachments

• Isaiah 5.jpg
    Isaiah 5.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Mormon god is not the same as the Christian God.
There is only 1 God. There is no Mormon god, Jewish god, Christian God and [x] god. Only 1 and only God (we don't own him). So either we say Mormons worship a false god (different referent than God like Odin or Krishna) or we say Mormons have false perspectives of God (but the same referent)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is only 1 God. There is no Mormon god, Jewish god, Christian God and [x] god. Only 1 and only God (we don't own him). So either we say Mormons worship a false god (different referent than God like Odin or Krishna) or we say Mormons have false perspectives of God (but the same referent)
Mormonism.jpg

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would say 'another Jesus', and therefore a false God.

2 Corinthians 11:4 (KJV) For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say 'another Jesus', and therefore a false God.

2 Corinthians 11:4 (KJV) For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
There is only 1 Jesus. The message may be different, the spirit involved behind the message may not be of God. But there is only 1 Jesus and 1 God. If we want to commit to speaking against the teachings of another we should claim it is a false God or a false Christ (because they don't exist) but I don't think it's responsible to allow an idea there may be your version of God and my version of God so let's just call them different Gods, we are not polythesitic so let's stop using polythesitic language. We have different perspectives and maybe even heretical perspectives but there still is only 1 God and 1 Christ.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I said we either say Mormons worship a false god or say they have erroneous perspectives of God but still the same referent but we should never say they worship a different god simply because we are not polytheists so we should adjust our language to match monotheistic values.

Upvote 0