Will France rebuild Notre Dame as a Catholic church?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PARIS, April 18, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — On Wednesday, the French government announced an international design competition for a new spire at the fire-damaged Notre Dame de Paris cathedral, leading to fears that it will reflect secularism rather than Christian values.

After President Emmanuel Macron publicly pledged that Notre Dame would be rebuilt within five years, donations have reached nearly one billion Euros since the ravaging fire on Monday. While committing to reconstruction, Macron said, "We will rebuild Notre Dame even more beautifully and I want it to be completed in five years. We can do it."

Questions have arisen over the expense of the restoration and whether the millions of euros collected should otherwise be spent on France’s poor. “The international competition will allow us to ask the question of whether we should even re-create the spire as it was conceived by Viollet-le-Duc,” Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said. “Or whether, as is often the case during the evolution of heritage, we should endow Notre Dame with a new spire that reflects the techniques and challenges of our era.”

The prime minister said the government will present legislation offering a 75 percent tax deduction to private donors giving up to 1,000 euros. The deductible will remain at 60 percent for larger sums.

While construction of the famed church began in the mid-12th century, the lead-covered spire was designed by architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc and built in the mid-1800s. Since the Revolution of the 1790s, the iconic church has been the property of the French government, having served for a time as a pagan temple and nearly demolished in the early 1800s.

More at link: Will France rebuild Notre Dame as a Catholic church?

Some backgrounder: 850-year-old Notre Dame survived the French Revolution. Here are 4 other things to know

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully they will - but we’ve sort of lost the same world view that helped create it to begin with.
I'm sure when rebuilt there the structure will be close to what it used to be...along with some diversity tower or library.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The best idea is for them to change Notre Dame into a commercial venture. That way, if there's ever another fire, the place can pay for its own repair. Perhaps the best idea is to convert it into a fastfood restaurant. They tend to make healthy profits. It could be called something like, "Endy's" and be home to the "Big Dame" burger.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best idea is for them to change Notre Dame into a commercial venture. That way, if there's ever another fire, the place can pay for its own repair. Perhaps the best idea is to convert it into a fastfood restaurant. They tend to make healthy profits. It could be called something like, "Endy's" and be home to the "Big Dame" burger.
Lol thought you were serious at first.

The Hunchback Manwich can be on the menu.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
PARIS, April 18, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — On Wednesday, the French government announced an international design competition for a new spire at the fire-damaged Notre Dame de Paris cathedral, leading to fears that it will reflect secularism rather than Christian values.

After President Emmanuel Macron publicly pledged that Notre Dame would be rebuilt within five years, donations have reached nearly one billion Euros since the ravaging fire on Monday. While committing to reconstruction, Macron said, "We will rebuild Notre Dame even more beautifully and I want it to be completed in five years. We can do it."

Questions have arisen over the expense of the restoration and whether the millions of euros collected should otherwise be spent on France’s poor. “The international competition will allow us to ask the question of whether we should even re-create the spire as it was conceived by Viollet-le-Duc,” Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said. “Or whether, as is often the case during the evolution of heritage, we should endow Notre Dame with a new spire that reflects the techniques and challenges of our era.”

The prime minister said the government will present legislation offering a 75 percent tax deduction to private donors giving up to 1,000 euros. The deductible will remain at 60 percent for larger sums.

While construction of the famed church began in the mid-12th century, the lead-covered spire was designed by architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc and built in the mid-1800s. Since the Revolution of the 1790s, the iconic church has been the property of the French government, having served for a time as a pagan temple and nearly demolished in the early 1800s.

Some backgrounder: 850-year-old Notre Dame survived the French Revolution. Here are 4 other things to know
In an earlier post I said that I was going to put a return visit to Notre Dame on my bucket list. If, however, the French government remuddles the renovation into some sort of lame celebration of religious diversity (Buddhist, Muslim, Modernist, New Age, yada yada yada) then I'm skipping Paris entirely and spend the whole time at Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. This is just to let President Macron know that if he messes it up there will be consequences. Keep it a Christian site or let it be a Christian ruin.

As to the cost of renovation, all of the money will go to stonemasons, crane operators, and all manner of craftsmen. Those people will spend their income in various ways, resulting in a series of economic multiplication sequellae that will benefit everyone in France. Now if craftsmen can be recruited from the poorer strata of the French economy, and trained in their new fields, it will be an incredible boost for those people. Far more than some social programs that don't give anyone either dignity or skills.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm sure when rebuilt there the structure will be close to what it used to be...along with some diversity tower or library.
Just say 'non' to a 'diversity tower'.
Des clous.
Absolument pas.
Certainment pas.

• Winner
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just say 'non' to a 'diversity tower'.
Des clous.
Absolument pas.
Certainment pas.

No need. See my earlier post #9 particularly " the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity."

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state

Thanks for the information. I was perplexed as to why the French Government was even involved in the rebuilding but your post has cleared that up for me.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol thought you were serious at first.

The Hunchback Manwich can be on the menu.

iu

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Considering the amount of vandalism occurring in France to their churches you have to wonder if there won't be opposition and interference in it's proposed rebuilding? :scratch:

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No need. See my earlier post #9 particularly " the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity."
It may come down to the “color of money.”

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Good post; I

Good post; I was wondering about how to find out who owns the cathedral. Once ownership is established the rest should be easy.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟754,612.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Basically the French government owns the Cathedral, even though the Catholic Church built it. So it is going to pay to get it repaired, although the Vatican is apparently prepared to help with advice (they might have some of the original plans in the basement for example).

Personally I think the destruction of the Notre Dame Cathedral is a symbol of what is happening in Europe and the West.

I've said this before, but I used to be Presbyterian. I had a wise, rather prophetic pastor who taught me a lot. I also found that if he thought something would happen, it invariably did, even if the event sometimes took years to happen. He was so accurate that I think God was telling him about the future events he referred to, as it was simply impossible for him to know by normal human means (eg. "I think you'll be doing a cleaning job for a short time. You won't like it much, but I think the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost.") I thought it was over the top, but in 2006, I did a cleaning job for a short time - 4 months - didn't like it much, and 'heard about a ghost', a former manager who had committed suicide in the old store he was managing, sometime in the 1960's.

The pastor died himself in 1992, so he predicted an event which took another 14 years to occur, was most unlikely, and there was no way he could have foreseen that using his own natural human abilities.

So far this prediction hasn't led to anything, but the event itself and some developments which have happened subsequently are a bit much to call "coincidental". And if '... the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost...", then I think something will come out of it, but I don't know what as yet.

Among other things, he thought Western Europe would become Moslem. He thought they would not take it seriously, mainly being a political decision eg. in response to a hypothetical Middle Eastern oil embargo ("OK, you want our oil - you become Moslem"). As one consequence the Vatican would be forced to move to South America.

Since the pastor died in 1992, the Moslem intrusion into the West has steadily increased.

He also thought Britain would hold out, and revert to Catholicism (the Anglican Church already has an almost Catholic liturgy, and some High Anglicans are reputed to be more Catholic than the Catholics, although some of its policies are suspect). They have significant reserves of North Sea oil, so would survive an embargo. They've already started to distance themselves from Brussels via Brexit. They're nuclear armed should another nation decide to try using force.

Likewise he thought Russia, and probably parts of Eastern Europe, would revert to their Orthodox roots. They've got a heap of oil, and a very strong military, with a huge nuclear armory. No one will push them around.

So for my money, the fire which destroyed the Notre Dame Cathedral is significant; symbolic of the way the West is going, and France and Western Europe in particular.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The church has rights to the site and can use it as a place of worship but as to whether it can veto rubbish secular designs that fail to reflect the Christian convictions that built the church is another matter. Given the spiritual indifference of many Frenchmen it is a fair question.

Ultimately I think it will have a Christian design cause it will damage Parisian tourist revenues if not. Jews and Christians are basically richer than people from other religions and spend more on tourism. Both would prefer the original faith focus. But this depends on whether common sense prevails among the French political class. Political correctness and ideas about diversity have made them slightly less rational in decisions to do with national self interest.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church has rights to the site and can use it as a place of worship but as to whether it can veto rubbish secular designs that fail to reflect the Christian convictions that built the church is another matter. Given the spiritual indifference of many Frenchmen it is a fair question.

Ultimately I think it will have a Christian design cause it will damage Parisian tourist revenues if not. Jews and Christians are basically richer than people from other religions and spend more on tourism. Both would prefer the original faith focus. But this depends on whether common sense prevails among the French political class. Political correctness and ideas about diversity have made them slightly less rational in decisions to do with national self interest.
All good points. Yes as established the property is for the Catholic church to do as they will. However, all the money coming in is from secular sources or other religions. Will the money come with strings attached?

Upvote 0