Will Cameron Step Down in the Event of an Out Vote?

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm not too interested in discussing the referendum itself, but what has caught my interest is the idea I've seen some folk espouse that David Cameron will have to step down if Britain votes "Out".

Do you guys think that such would be the case?

I mean...I don't see much point.
He would probably be better off sticking around until things cool down in the media and in his party, then step down in 2018/2019.
Having a leadership race in such a divided atmosphere could really damage the party.

But I'd like to see what you guys think. Especially reasons why he may want to duck out as soon as possible in such a scenario.

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I think he's staked his political reputation on this, and I can't see how he could continue if he loses. Not for long anyway. His authority would be greatly reduced.

I think he's very confident of success in the referendum.

Boris, on the other hand, expects to be on the losing side. He is backing the Out campaign because he knows most consevative party members are Eurosceptics, and the fact that he sided with them will ensure the majority vote for him to be the next PM when Cameron quits.

Reactions: Genersis
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't see how he could stay.

He's spent months campaigning, giving speeches, arguing, almost begging for us to vote "Remain". If we vote "leave", how can he lead a country that's ignored him and voted to put Britain in a position that he's opposed to and doesn't think will work?

If he thinks that he can lead a Britain that is outside the EU, why is he voting to Remain?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can't see how he could stay.

He's spent months campaigning, giving speeches, arguing, almost begging for us to vote "Remain". If we vote "leave", how can he lead a country that's ignored him and voted to put Britain in a position that he's opposed to and doesn't think will work?

If he thinks that he can lead a Britain that is outside the EU, why is he voting to Remain?
Just to provide a decent transition period. I think that's what he said.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Indeed.
He did say before the referendum that he would be able to lead a country that was outside the EU - maybe he felt the task was too great?
Seeing how everything needs to be done so soon(within two years after making the withdrawal official), I'm not surprised he resigned so soon. I doubt his party would trust him to negotiate, nor appoint people to negotiate with the EU.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Indeed.
He did say before the referendum that he would be able to lead a country that was outside the EU - maybe he felt the task was too great?
Maybe he just suddenly became aware of his own incompetence?
I think it's a shame. I felt he was hypocritical at times and I didn't appreciate his tactics in the referendum, but on the whole I think he's a good PM.
The PM who broke up a 300 year old Union is a 'good PM'?!

History will judge him worse than Chamberlain.

Upvote 0