Will America ever have a #MeToo-style reckoning for racism?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
We're in the middle of a reckoning on the subject of sexual assault and sexual misconduct — especially in the workplace. Abuses long swept under the rug or covered up are being exposed, the perpetrators punished.

But just as women have long endured inappropriate conduct, with no sense that they'd get any justice if they spoke up, so have many people of color. Which led us to wonder: What would a racial "reckoning" in the style of #MeToo look like in our country?
Unfortunatlely, I do not think this will occur because there is too often excuses made for racist behavior and people that say racist things. When you hear, "He/she did not mean it that way," it is difficult to move forward on a topic when one person in the discussion is adamant about not acknowledging blatant racism (e.g., Charlottesville last year).

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunatlely, I do not think this will occur because there is too often excuses made for racist behavior and people that say racist things. When you hear, "He/she did not mean it that way," it is difficult to move forward on a topic when one person in the discussion is adamant about not acknowledging blatant racism (e.g., Charlottesville last year).

I don't know. What would that "reckoning" look like? The Me Too people can't even decide. And now, like all movements, it's eating itself. See Matt Damon, who dared to suggest there's a continuum from rape to some guy touching your rear end when you didn't want him to. For that, some women suggested he get taken off the set of his latest movie. Can you imagine?

By the way, he's right. Just like there's a difference between having people say rude things to you because of your race (which is not acceptable) and being kept a slave (which is heinous) or told you can't eat in the same diner. There's a continuum.

Do I have to have a reckoning because I'm white, and once some white person said something rude to you?

Do we all have to have a reckoning because a white firefighter brought in a gift of a watermelon to a mostly-black firefighting squad--not even realizing it's supposed to be a racial slur?

I mean what kind of wrong merits a "reckoning", and who pays?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Talking about things, and showing the ignorance does produce progress. Don't discount things due to 'one person'. When it comes to anything you will always have that 'one person' that sticks out like a sore thumb. They don't control the majority. They don't minimize the progress either. Racism has been around since the dawn of time. You see it in different forms all over the globe, and sadly you will always have some ignorant lots.

I'm not sure what statement you are referring to when you mention - they didn't mean it that way. Yet, people do tend to read into things. That also has been around forever. At times people do spit out words in a way they didn't mean, and people do say things that doesn't gel with what they meant. Sometimes I think we get a little to legalistic with that, because we are always looking for a motive - and ignore the intent. We have all been guilty of that at one time or another.

I wouldn't get to hung up on 'one person'. If you do? You may miss so many others that have progressed in mind and spirit.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Americans as a whole are still awfully prone to reflexively denying that racism even exists as a problem, so if we do it'll be a long time coming still. Heck, we can't even reliably call people who hold and openly espouse racist ideas racists. Instead we let them tell us nice, sanitized things to label them as, like "identitarian" or "European Heritage Activist". For some reason we're really, really afraid of admitting that bigotry and racism are problems that need to be addressed for the betterment of EVERYONE.

Until the society as a whole can somehow get over that fear, I'm afraid we're in for more and stronger pushback against anyone who so much as brings the subject up.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Doubtful...and I'll explain my reasoning with the following bullet points:

- You have a subset of people who think that the notion of systemic racism was never an issue.
- You have some who will admit it "was" an issue. However, they put the emphasis on the "was" and refuse to acknowledge the lasting residual effects.
- Among that crowd, you have a portion that's under the impression that the law changes that occurred on paper during the civil rights era somehow magically fixed everything in the real world, and anything that's happened since then is the direct fault of the impacted groups themselves.
- In that crowd, there are also some who have decided to blame the residual effects themselves (the symptoms), and refuse to put any blame on the catalyst (cause) that put the perpetual cycle in motion.

When you boil it down, there are very few who will admit it's a problem without trying to attach an *asterisk to it with the disclaimer of *but everything that happened after the 1960's is technically their own fault

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think such a reckoning will ever happen unless it's extremely dramatic and/or violent, given this country's very long history of racism. This nation was founded on racism and white supremacy, both of these social plagues are interwoven into this country's very fabric of existence. Black people and other minorities have only had civil rights and equality for the last 54 years and America is 241 years old. I can't see much progress like that being made without another Civil Rights Movement.

• Winner
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Extending the current McCarthyism from guilt by accusation of even the vaguest sexual misconduct to include guilt by accusation of racism? I can't see that (lack of) process being abused.

Don't get me wrong, I've as little time for racists as I have for anyone who takes advantage of being in a position of power to abuse their subordinates, but trial by social media isn't renowned for being terribly reliable, fair or quick to put the record straight when it ruins the livelihood of people who are innocent of what they're accused of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Extending the current McCarthyism from guilt by accusation of even the vaguest sexual misconduct to include guilt by accusation of racism? I can't see that (lack of) process being abused.

Don't get me wrong, I've as little time for racists as I have for anyone who takes advantage of being in a position of power to abuse their subordinates, but trial by social media isn't renowned for being terribly reliable, fair or quick to put the record straight when it ruins the livelihood of people who are innocent of what they're accused of.
Social media for those who know and have been known for decades is one thing. The lack of filters for newbies is problematic and should be more in favour for those who have supported the site for long periods of time in postings.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No,some people could care less how people of color were treated. People want it to be hush up. Heck, since Trump has been in office. More people show they never cared about people of color. More people defend Trump about his racist views.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
<quote suggesting you missed the point>
I think you missed the point of my comment. "One person" does not refer to a single person, it refers to the people that come out the woodwork to deny that someone doing or saying something racist is a problem. This matters a lot because racist attitudes mean racist policies.

When a police officer is exchanging racist text messages with fellow officers, those arguing that the exchange of those messages do not represent a broader problem make it difficult to confront racism in law enforcement. Likewise, when someone in a position of power makes racist statements, it only stalls progress when defenders of that language stymie discussion by insisting the words are not hateful or bigoted.

Your argument boils down to ignoring these people, but these people are precisely the problem. No one is saying there are not people that represent progress, but the people that play the game of denying racism at every turn help perpetuate man of the ills in our society. It doesn't matter if most people have progressed, if there is a racist in power seeking to target a specific group and this person has a multitude defenders that seek to keep that person in power or authority, it hurts those who are targeted. You cannot simply ignore the "one person" because they are the ones perpetuating a system of oppression.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you missed the point of my comment. "One person" does not refer to a single person, it refers to the people that come out the woodwork to deny that someone doing or saying something racist is a problem. This matters a lot because racist attitudes mean racist policies.

So you don't ascribe to the revisionist definition of racism...and it's equally bad when any race perpetuates racist ideas?

When a police officer is exchanging racist text messages with fellow officers, those arguing that the exchange of those messages do not represent a broader problem make it difficult to confront racism in law enforcement. Likewise, when someone in a position of power makes racist statements, it only stalls progress when defenders of that language stymie discussion by insisting the words are not hateful or bigoted.

So, better that we call out all racist language whenever we see it?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your argument boils down to ignoring these people, but these people are precisely the problem.

You say I missed the point, and yet it sounds like I missed your context instead. There is a difference.

I never thought about your wording of 'one person' meaning more than one person. When someone says 'one person' I think they mean 'one person'. Literally. One person. It's strange to me that you didn't see that.

If people can't acknowledge basics like that, and then jump to conclusions about them being part of the the problem? Your discussion - or reckoning won't be heard by those you want it to be. It gets people on the defense, and you have lost them at that point. That also is a HUGE problem. It happens way to often.

Honestly, I think that is the bigger problem when it comes to the communication on this issue - and many others. It was a misunderstanding of your context, and you pretty much assumed the worse...instead of recognizing it for what it was. A misunderstanding of your context - NOT your point.

You see I didn't say - or hint at - ignoring 'these people'. I was referring to 'one person'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There's a good article by the Times that speaks to the topic brought up in this article, however, I can't link to it due to the language (unfortunately, some in power use unrepentant language that is bigoted). It points out something that several here have pointed out, denial is one of the main obstacles in confronting racism.

The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial
When our reality is too ugly, we deny reality. It is too painful to look at. Reality is too hard to accept.

Mental health experts routinely say that denial is among the most common defense mechanisms. Denial is how the person defends his superior sense of self, her racially unequal society.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The big problem with such a proposal is that "racist" has become something that far too many "progressives" toss about like candy at a parade rather than actually deal with anything put in front of them that they don't like.

Criticize a black politician's tax proposals? You're racist. No need to look at the criticisms. Boom.

Think a Hispanic entertainer isn't funny? You're also racist. No need to consider differences in personal taste.

Call out a Middle Eastern pundit for saying hateful things? Once again, you're racist. No need to consider where the pundit's sympathies lie.

Et cetra.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
The big problem with such a proposal is that "racist" has become something that far too many "progressives" toss about like candy at a parade rather than actually deal with anything put in front of them that they don't like.

Criticize a black politician's tax proposals? You're racist. No need to look at the criticisms. Boom.

Think a Hispanic entertainer isn't funny? You're also racist. No need to consider differences in personal taste.

Call out a Middle Eastern pundit for saying hateful things? Once again, you're racist. No need to consider where the pundit's sympathies lie.

Et cetra.

And ditto what counted as misogyny and harassment, so anyone could have predicted that Metoo would descend into an absolute cluster of trivial anecdotes mixed in with some actually serious claims.

Lo and behold, that’s exactly what we got.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think such a reckoning will ever happen unless it's extremely dramatic and/or violent, given this country's very long history of racism. This nation was founded on racism and white supremacy, both of these social plagues are interwoven into this country's very fabric of existence. Black people and other minorities have only had civil rights and equality for the last 54 years and America is 241 years old. I can't see much progress like that being made without another Civil Rights Movement.

I can only hope that you realize that America is far, far from the only nation with a history of one people taking land from another people. In fact this is pretty much the history of the earth from the very beginning. So, in fact, is the prevalence of slavery, human trafficking, racism, colonialism and etc. Do not think America owns the history on this.

Upvote 0