Texas
✟2,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
"Protesters toppled the Silent Sam Confederate statue on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill on Monday night.

"The monument was ripped down after 9:15 p.m. Earlier in the evening, protesters covered the statue with tall, gray banners, erecting 'an alternative monument' that said, in part, 'For a world without white supremacy.'”

Source: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article217035815.html

Confederate statues are being toppled by angry, bitter SJWs. Will they go after Abraham Lincoln statues next? Consider that Abe had this to say about racial equality: “I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of [blacks], nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

This quote isn't a hoax; it's legitimate. You can check Snopes yourself here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-lincoln-racism-equality-oppose/

Since Abraham Lincoln was a "white supremacist," will the SJWs attack his statues next?

• Informative
Reactions: Rigatoni

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Since he freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation, even if it took a Constitutional Amendment to really do the job, Lincoln's statues are probably safe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Protesters toppled the Silent Sam Confederate statue on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill on Monday night.

"The monument was ripped down after 9:15 p.m. Earlier in the evening, protesters covered the statue with tall, gray banners, erecting 'an alternative monument' that said, in part, 'For a world without white supremacy.'”

Source: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article217035815.html

Confederate statues are being toppled by angry, bitter SJWs. Will they go after Abraham Lincoln statues next? Consider that Abe had this to say about racial equality: “I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of [blacks], nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

This quote isn't a hoax; it's legitimate. You can check Snopes yourself here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-lincoln-racism-equality-oppose/

Since Abraham Lincoln was a "white supremacist," will the SJWs attack his statues next?

Lincoln made those comments (in 1858) prior to his presidency (1860-1865). He evolved from the point of making those comments to the point where he freed the slaves under his presidency ...

From the Snopes link you provided, additional insight ...

During the Civil War, Foner says, Lincoln’s views evolved radically as he was exposed to black people such as Frederick Douglass, who were far more talented than he had assumed, and as the efforts of freed slaves in the Union army earned them, in Lincoln’s view, the right to citizenship.

[Lincoln] certainly embraced anti-black attitudes and phobias in his early years and throughout his debates with Douglas in the 1858 Senate race… By the end of the Civil War, Lincoln was on an upward arc, perhaps heading toward becoming the man he has since been mythologized as being: the Great Emancipator, the man who freed — and loved — the slaves. But his journey was certainly not complete on the day that he died. Abraham Lincoln wrestled with race until the end.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Waiting for the day when leftists in America just have to defend their own actions, instead of imaginary things they have not done.

I too, eagerly await the day when pigs fly freely through the skies.

EDIT: For some real chuckles, and by "chuckles" I mean "utter horror and revulsion", check out the actual dedication speech for the statue given at it's dedication in 1913 by Julian Carr. It's ... something else, really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,007.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
For some real chuckles, and by "chuckles" I mean "utter horror and revulsion", check out the actual dedication speech for the statue given at it's dedication in 1913 by Julian Carr. It's ... something else, really.
Oh yeah I know. It includes this passage here:

One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah I know. It includes this passage here:

One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady.

To which should probably be added:

" - and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since he freed the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation, even if it took a Constitutional Amendment to really do the job, Lincoln's statues are probably safe.
Many people do not realize that no slaves were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation itself since it applied only to territory not under Union control (the Confederacy). The status of the slaves in the four slave states that did not leave the Union continued as before.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Lincoln isn't a persistent symbol of white supremacy, so I'd say "no".
Since when did being a "persistent " offender become the standard?

In practice, critics will vilify and destroy anyone (anyone who is not otherwise an ally of theirs, that is) for even one questionable comment from decades earlier, never to be forgiven, ever.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Since when did being a "persistent " offender become the standard?

In practice, critics will vilify and destroy anyone (anyone who is not otherwise an ally of theirs, that is) for even one questionable comment from decades earlier, never to be forgiven, ever.

A good reason to think carefully about ones conduct in light of future generations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Many people do not realize that no slaves were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation itself since it applied only to territory not under Union control (the Confederacy). The status of the slaves in the four slave states that did not leave the Union continued as before.
You're right that this didn't free slaves in the Union (something that happened shortly afterwards) but it certainly did free tens of thousands of Confederate slaves in Union held areas and as Union forces advanced, freed millions more.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't end slavery, but it did free the vast majority of slaves.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Technically, that is so, but I would make two points about it.

1. That doesn't change the Emancipation Proclamation itself, and

2. It is inconceivable that advancing Union soldiers, as they moved south, would not have freed--or caused the liberation of--the slaves they encountered, Emancipation Proclamation or not.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
1. That doesn't change the Emancipation Proclamation itself, and
I guess not, but what does that mean?

2. It is inconceivable that advancing Union soldiers, as they moved south, would not have freed--or caused the liberation of--the slaves they encountered, Emancipation Proclamation or not.
That legal authority had to be given. It was given by the Emancipation Proclamation. The proclamation changed the legal status of the slaves in the rebellious states.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Confederate statues are being toppled by angry, bitter SJWs. Will they go after Abraham Lincoln statues next?

What I think is that when one side is allowed to destroy monuments and landmarks that commemorate something of a side they don't agree with, or censor words that insult them while they use insulting words against a side they don't agree with, then the "other side" will likely be emboldened to do the same against those who did it to them when they get the opportunity. It's all about division, and this is the result of it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess not, but what does that mean?
It means that, given the way the Left wants to eliminate any memory of people it doesn't care for, and the justification can be nothing more than one verbal slip-up decades earlier or just about anything that is interpreted as having been insensitive to todays special victims by one definition or another...

Lincoln is just as good a target as Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, or any of our other historic leaders, even though he is usually thought of, unofficially, as a hero who opposed slavery, etc.

That legal authority had to be given. It was given by the Emancipation Proclamation. The proclamation changed the legal status of the slaves in the rebellious states.
It didn't change a thing for the slaves in the rebellious states, and don't forget the status of the slaves in the other slave states. No, you're unlikely to get Lincoln off the hook that easily with todays political Left.;)

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0