• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Wild Bison Are Returning to England’s Forests For First Time in 6,000 Years

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Michie, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+32,183
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    A relative of the iconic beast that roams the American Great Plains is going to be released in an ancient forest in Kent, England—where they haven’t resided for 6,000 years.

But the four animals won’t be arriving by way of South Dakota or Wyoming because Europe has their own subspecies—the European wood bison.

The project is slated to begin in Spring of 2022, when a single male Bison bonasus and three females arriving from Poland and the Netherlands will be allowed to roam and reproduce naturally in the remaining wilds of Britain—and it is hoped that their presence will ignite a chain reaction throughout the forest.

Continued below.
    Wild Bison Are Returning to England’s Forests For First Time in 6,000 Years

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+5,079
    Atheist
    That's great news - I often go walking in Blean Woods, so it will be interesting to see bison there...

3. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+3,712
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That is so cool.

4. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,557
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    My ancestors used to herd them!

5. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+5,079
    Atheist
    Please don't.

6. Warden_of_the_Storm

Warden_of_the_Storm Well-Known Member

+3,841
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    This sort of thing has the potential to create something amazing... or do horrendous things to the ecology of that area of Britain.
    Britain has not had large grazing animals such as the bison for 6,000 years. There really is no telling what the effect would be.

... although imagine the size of the steaks...

7. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,841
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    A big cow. Like... huge. Big horns too.
    And there's a fair bit of debate on when they went extinct in Britain: some people say Bronze age, some say Iron Age, some say as early as 3000 years ago, some say as late as 1500 BC.

BUT, my main point is: Britain and the British ecosystem has not had a significant number of large terrestrial grazing herbivores for a long time, so we have no real clue to what effect they could have if allowed to roam free in England (maybe they trample a politician or two, who knows).

I know that bison (or buffalo) are being reared in Wales, but that's as livestock, not wild animals.

8. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,841
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    For some reason, a lot of people are hellbent on reintroducing animals that went extinct in an area for... reasons.

9. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,841
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Jurassic Park is a prime, though fictional example, of why we shouldn't bring back extinct animals. We have ZERO clue of how they'd react to the modern world and they likely would get violent.
    The cattle thing is definitely something I can agree with, and I have a hope that we at least put in some lessons that the Poles learnt when dealing with their bison to minimize harmful contact between the bison and human populations.

10. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    It's the wild animal from which the cow was domesticated.

The key words there are "wild animal."

11. Radagast

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    "Why?" I ask myself.

12. Radagast

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Own species, since Bison bonasus is a species.

13. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+636
    Atheist
    Private
    Probably so they could survive in the wild and be restored to some auroch appropriate ecosystem. (THought I read that somewhere years go.) Domestic cows are docile and dumb.

14. Radagast

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Why?

And what does that mean, in a densely populated country like Germany?

Yes, and even then they sometimes kill people.

Imagine them more aggressive and with larger horns.

Now imagine them wandering into farmland and interacting with human beings.

15. Hans Blaster

+636
    Atheist
    Private
    I don't think Aurochs are native to Germany. Perhaps they were thinking about repopulating the south Asian Steppe. I don't know. I'm just speculating.

16. Radagast

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Native to all of Europe, plus more. The name "ūrochse" is German.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  17. Hans Blaster

+636
    Atheist
    Private
    [JohnnyCarson] I did not know that [/JohnnyCarson]

18. Hans Blaster

+636
    Atheist
    Private
    Allrighty then. I did not-see that coming.

This thread had taken an odd turn.

19. Radagast

+9,449
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Well, the aurochs breeding started before Hitler, in the 1920s, but Lutz Heck was indeed a Nazi and a buddy of Hermann Göring: Lutz Heck - Wikipedia

Edit: I was wrong about Hitler. Apparently he led the Nazis from 1921.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  20. Warden_of_the_Storm

+3,841
    United Kingdom
    Deist
    Single
    Oh, it's definitely not national pride that is the reason for Britain doing this.