• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Wikipedia Editors Attack China Critical News Outlet ‘Epoch Times’ After NBC Hit Piece

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by NightHawkeye, Aug 28, 2019.

1. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+9,667
    Methodist
    Married
    Wikipedia Editors Attack China Critical News Outlet ‘Epoch Times’ After NBC Hit Piece

NBC published a report last Tuesday regarding the Epoch Times and its surge of success due largely to its hard-hitting coverage on alleged improprieties in the discredited Russiagate investigation. In their report, NBC smeared this coverage as pushing a “Spygate” conspiracy theory, even though reporters for Epoch Times obtained early access to testimony before the House Intelligence Committee for which they were noted in the New York Times. The report also smeared the outlet for its association with the spiritual movement Falun Gong, perpetuating narratives used to justify China’s decades-long repression of the movement.
    Editors attacking Epoch Times over its criticism of the Russiagate investigation is consistent with early efforts to spin the outcome of Mueller’s probe into the allegations, which discredited the more outrageous accusations against President Trump. Wikipedia’s left-wing bias has mainly received attention in connection with its coverage of issues in American politics such as branding Trump an advocate of “Neo-nazi conspiracy theories” or defending the anti-white bigotry of New York Times editor Sarah Jeong. However, the involvement of the same editors in disputes related to China suggests that bias affects articles of broader interest as well
    It is perhaps more than a little interesting that the same people at Wikipedia who attack Trump, also attack those critical of the repressive Chinese communist government.

Evidently the Epoch Times, as a journalism outlet, is now in the big leagues - at least as judged by the enemies they've made.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Nithavela

Nithavela Touch Fluffy Tail

+14,439
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    You should have said that it was an article from Breitbart, would have saved me a minute.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+6,602
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Always hover over a link before clicking and check the status bar!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+9,667
    Methodist
    Married
    No problem.

How about the Washington Post which is reporting that Facebook immediately de-monetized the Epoch Times immediately after the NBC report ... for fake reasons according to the Epoch Times.
    Facebook bans ads from the Epoch Times for violating transparency policies with pro-Trump ads

An NBC News investigation earlier this week showed how the Epoch Times became Trump’s biggest advocate on the social media platform, morphing from a nonprofit newspaper with anti-communist messages into a conservative outlet often promoting the White House and right-wing theories.
    In a lengthy statement posted Friday to the Epoch Times’ website, the publication vehemently disputed the NBC News report. It came a day after the company posted “Why NBC, MSNBC’s Reporting on The Epoch Times Is Textbook Fake News.”

Curiously, the Epoch Times disputes Facebook's assertion in unequivocal terms.

“Without exception, these ads were overtly Epoch Times advertisements for our subscriptions,” Gregory wrote. “And there is no secret there, since it’s all open in public.”

“None of our advertising was done to 'obfuscate’ the connection to The Epoch Times,” Gregory continued. “All the advertising was clearly for Epoch Times print subscriptions.”

• List
  5. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,428
    Mormon
    Single
    • List
  6. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,617
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  7. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,167
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    You should have said that it was an OAN video on Rumble; would have saved me a minute.

8. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+10,327
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  9. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+6,602
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    On the other hand, it is refreshing to see conservative Christians defending the propaganda arm of a non Christian Chinese religious cult.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,617
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So you admit you did not actually even listen to what US Representative Scott Perry had to say?

11. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,167
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Since it was off-topic, I happily ignored it.

12. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Part of the IT crowd Supporter

+9,766
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    The Epoch Times presents a unique challenge for many folks in the "fact checker" vocation, as well as left-wing pundits looking to critique right-wing pundits, as The Epoch Times, while still clearly having a right wing bias, doesn't demonstrate many of the glaring flaws (with regards to spin and accuracy) that some other right wing outlets are known for... like a OAN or Newsmax or Breitbart.

That's why, much like what you see with the DailyWire, many of the fact check reviews of The Epoch Times have to resort to the approach of grading things as "lacking context" or "selective reporting" in order to attack their image...rather than just clearly calling out blatant lies like they can easily do with OAN/Newsmax/Breitbart.

I love the concept of having fact checkers and people who make it a mission to keep the media honest...however, I do feel that particular realm is lacking neutral participants...as there is a clear bias within that realm.

Basically, it ends up being...

"if a conservative publication lies, call it out as a lie; if a conservative publication reports valid information, full quotes, and accurate statistics...but what they're saying hurts someone's feelings or isn't something the far-left can easily provide a rebuttal for, then claim it's missing context, or call the publication into question for selective reporting for not going out of their way to write articles that puts the other side's position in a favorable light"

That's why, even though I only agree with him 50% of the time, I'm glad that someone like a Ben Shapiro (and his DailyWire crew) is around. I like Klavan & Ben, Matt Walsh is 'ok', and Michael Knowles is insufferable... but none the less, it at least keeps the fact checkers and the people at "Media Matters" on their toes, as they can't rely on their typical, canned, approach to trying to call out conservative outlets like they can do with the OANs and Newsmax's of the world.

For instance, when Don Lemon or Brian Stelter have conservative pundits on their show, they can typically walk all over them, and there's plenty of "low hanging fruit" that's there for them to attack.

He keeps them on their toes a little more:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  13. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,973
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I dont like the name "Epoch Times".

Yes Im judging a book by its cover.

14. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,973
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Do you mean you only share his opinions 50% of the time, or that you think he's promoting falsehoods 50% of the time?

15. Under One King

Under One King Well-Known Member

+574
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Why don't you like the name?

16. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Part of the IT crowd Supporter

+9,766
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I mean I only share his opinions half the time...he has some personal views on certain topics that I disagree with (due to this Orthodox Jewish faith) that I disagree with on topics like abortion, and he's vehemently in support of maintaining private pay health care system where I think that the pros outweigh the cons for switching to single-payer.

However, even on the points where we disagree, he's not lying...it's just that I prioritize certain attributes differently than he does.

And he does do a good job with calling out lies from his own faction. For instance, this piece he wrote critiques the election fraud narratives commonly espoused by members of the GOP.

Ben Shapiro: The lies tearing America apart

Ben Shapiro says Trump's 'divisive way' of defending America isn't helpful

Ben Shapiro Calls Trump ‘Deeply Irresponsible’ for Falsely Declaring Early Victory

Obviously his op-ed piece had conservative spin, but I always applaud his consistency with regards to standards of evidence, and rejecting statistical falsehoods regardless of the topic.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • List
  17. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,973
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    It has the subtle mal-odor of millenarianism.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Under One King

Under One King Well-Known Member

+574
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    How so? They aren't a religious newspaper by any means.

19. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+4,272
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    “Politics makes strange bedfellows” covers this.

20. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,973
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    "Epoch" hold this promise that our times have a particular flavor, with the implication that they will be replaced by a new epoch of radically different, and hopefully better, flavor.

Its got revolutionary connotations. I'm more evolutionarily disposed.