Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had advice on WIC. I've been advised by several people to get on this program and I am wondering if others on here had been in or are currently in the program and had advice about it. I'm currently the only one in the house working, and will have to be moving soon to a more expensive apartment, and I heard they could help with living costs sometimes too.

I've looked at the website and all but has anyone done this who can recommend tips on what stuff to ask for? Or what I need to be tested for for that "nutritional risk" requirement, whatever that is?

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟25,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My husband and I are thinking about getting on this program. Not sure to much about it, but I am going to the WIC office on Monday or Tuesday to get signed up for it. I don't know about houseing, but it helps alot on the food and formula end of the having and taking care of baby and young child. My husband and I are living below the poverty line.

Upvote 0

alaskamolly

Queen of the Tundra
Jul 17, 2004
The Great North
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We qualify, just barely, but aren't on it. It's too annoying.

They were constantly calling me about nursing and asking really personal questions--I guess they were doing a survey or something, but since it was my 3rd baby, I was really busy and didn't want to sit there and answer a bunch of annoying questions..."how many times a day do you nurse baby...and how long does he nurse for...and how do you feel about that...etc..."

I also hated having to go take classes, etc... Now don't get me wrong--I loved the idea of having parenting/nutrition classes for families--awesome!
...I just hated having to load all three children up and drive 45 minutes to the WIC office to go take the darn things, especially since I was on my 3rd by then and could have taught the classes myself! I lasted a month or two on WIC before I'd had enough of that... We also buy mostly organic things anyways, so not much of it would help out my food budget...

But, all that said, I think it's a valuable way to help stretch the family budget if you are in need. We looked at our situation, said, "you know, we really can't justify getting this free stuff--we can afford this ourselves," and then, adding the additional hassles and invasions of privacy, decided to opt out. If we get really poor or something, then I'll probably opt back in.

Blessings,
Molly

Upvote 0

megjesfai

Nov 9, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
WIC is the greatest! I am on it now and trust me....you want all the free formula you can get! they give us well over $100 worth of formula month plus milk, eggs, juice, cheese, and cerel. WIC is great...definetly get on it b/c with allt he other expenses of having a baby it really cuts back on cost. even if you are breast feeding they give you food to help your milk be as nutritious as possible. definetly try to get it!

Upvote 0

poohmom

Oct 26, 2004
✟7,897.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
WIC is wonderful. We were on it with all three of our first children. For some reason I never got around to it with number four. Now that we are expecting a fifth I might check into it again. Not sure yet. All of the stuff you have to fill out and the classes you have to take varies state to state. With my husband in the Army we were on it in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, North Carolina, and Kentucky. I believe the good outweighs the bad, especially if you could use the extra cash it will loosen up for you.

Reactions: RMB62
Upvote 0

LegacyOfLove

Senior Veteran
Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
✟10,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what state you are in as it seems from some of the responses you received here, that what they were required to do for WIC is not the same as it is here. I was on WIC with all of my children and while pregnant. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you are on a limited income!! It will supply you with: infant formula, baby cereal, peanut butter, dried beans, eggs, milk, cheese and cereal (what you receive depends on who is on it...and ages...and what state). As I received it for a while when I lived in MS, it was a totally different story there...much more inconvenient so I dropped out of it while there. Here in IL it is rather easy to get on and I never had to go through any classes or physical examinations...other than a finger-prick to check for anemia. Certain "high risk" groups will receive more assistance, so that is most likely the reason they may ask some questions to evaluate your risk-level. I would recommend it most definately. Baby formula is very costly and WIC will cover almost all of what you need each month in formula. That is a major savings to you! In my opinion, there is NO shame in receiving assistance when you truly have a need!

Upvote 0

sammipher

Blessed stay at home wife and mommy.
Mar 1, 2004
The wonderful south.
✟10,406.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this is true or not but, I heard from a family member that wic will actually help you when you are pregnant...like getting you the foods you need for a healthy diet while you are pregnant..I live in AL and have not verified this...so maybe u want to check with your local office now....it might help ya out a bunch.

Upvote 0

poohmom

Oct 26, 2004
✟7,897.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sammipher said:
I don't know if this is true or not but, I heard from a family member that wic will actually help you when you are pregnant...like getting you the foods you need for a healthy diet while you are pregnant..I live in AL and have not verified this...so maybe u want to check with your local office now....it might help ya out a bunch.
Yes it is true. That actually makes it easier. By being on it while you are pregnant, the baby will automatically be on it after birth. Then the vouchers change only by either adding formula or tuna and carrots if you're nursing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jillian1527

Apr 10, 2004
Indiana
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
I think WIC is great.. mostly when baby comes. the amount you spend on formula can be outragious. inless you plan on Breast Feeding I would look into for the formula alone.

I think it is probably like healthy babies. you get juice,milk, cheese, eggs. peanutbutter, beans, and cereal. I think is great.. did I say that already?:p

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are on WIC. Of course, my baby is only three months old, but we've gotten almost all of his formula free (he eats more than they give!!) and they haven't called me once. Or bothered me. But I do have to go in for an office visit in 3 weeks, so we will see! If they only bother me once every three months, I consider it worth it.

Upvote 0

Busybee

As For Me And My House We Will Serve The Lord
Aug 17, 2004
TN
Visit site
✟2,281.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wow I'm amazed at all of the differences of the program in different states. For us they're not calling you for anything lol. Also, the only record we have to keep is the grocery store receipt and give that to them. That's all. My 4 year old is on it, my baby is on it and gets more formula than she'll eat (I'm going to tell them to cut it down), and I'm also on it because I breastfeed predominantly. I got back on WIC when I was pregnant with the baby.

It has definitely been a help here. It's the only thing we do qualify for and I'm more than happy to get it. With the prices of milk alone...OUCH.

Upvote 0

sjanae76

Aug 4, 2004
Ohio
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is funny, all the differences. We're in Ohio, and I've never had any problems. Never had to keep any records or receipts. They just give you like 3 months of vouchers you take in to participating stores and get what you need. You have to make sure it's approved--on the list.

I'm hoping to be able to breastfeed this time, but with my other 3 kids, the help with formula was wonderful! That stuff is expensive! !

As far as qualifications, I guess it would seem that depends on the state. Here, you just give them your income verification, address verification, and ID's. They check your iron level and have you fill out forms telling what you normally eat, etc. Then they tell you you need to eat more veggies or whatever, and give you your vouchers! Pretty easy.

Go for it!

Upvote 0