St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Child abuse and what two people agree to in a free market transaction are not the same,in the case of CEO's the company that employs them has decided their value...
You think that's how it works? LOL! CEO salaries are decided by corporate boards of directors. Professional CEOs sit on each other's boards and reward their cronies out of all proportion to "value."

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not saying they are.

I'm pointing out how your comments on who is to judge what is decent and what is not are empty.

You are making the comparison between criminal activity and market activity because you think they are one in the same,that one person making more money than another is criminal.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are making the comparison between criminal activity and market activity because you think they are one in the same

No, I'm pointing out that we have the capacity to differentiate decent from decadent.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The story in the bible about the workers who were hired at different times of the day for a days wage indicates that it is the one who is paying the money who is in charge and not those who would impose upon him or her what they should pay,when you agree to take a job you agree to the pay for that job and the employer agrees to pay you.....unfair at times perhaps but that is the way it is.

So because Jesus mentioned slaves in his parables, do you think slavery is justified as well?

Jesus was making a point, brilliant as he was, by using examples from the life he saw around him. He knew people were paid differently, and the point of the parable isn't a literal extrapolation of economics, but of the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So because Jesus mentioned slaves in his parables, do you think slavery is justified as well?

Jesus was making a point, brilliant as he was, by using examples from the life he saw around him. He knew people were paid differently, and the point of the parable isn't a literal extrapolation of economics, but of the kingdom of God.

Nonsense,the parable ends when the employer says to those complaining its my money and you agreed to work for what I agreed to pay and have no right to complain about wht I do with my money,as usual if people like you disagree its figurative ,if you agree its literal.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
And the accounts will be settled by him in the end,not those who plot and scheme to make things "fair" and appoint themselves arbiter of what is fair.
That is so not true, NOT BIBLICAL.

If you read the books of law, how God designs the perfect society, God places an obligation on everyone to give a portion of their earnings to the poor. IOW, part of what we earn BELONGS TO THE POOR, and only entrusted to us until such time as we can give it back to them. This is encoded in such laws as:
  • the 10% tithe doesn't just go to support the Levites, but also the poor (Deuteronomy 14:28; 26:12)
  • a hungry person may enter an orchard or field and eat until they are full and it is not stealing (Deuteronomy 23:24-25)
  • the corners of a harvesting field must be left for the poor to harvest (Leviticus 19:9)
  • if while harvesting some fall to the ground, or fruit fall from the trees, they are not to be picked up but left for the poor to glean (Leviticus 19:10)
  • during the sabbatical year, the land is to be left fallow so that the poor (as well as animals) may eat of whatever grows freely (Leviticus 25:2-7)
  • if someone in need is by the gates, lend him money sufficient for that which he is in need Deuteronomy 15:7-8
  • lend the impoverished money without interest (Leviticus 25:35-37)

Tremble you women who are at ease, Shudder you complacent ones; Strip and make yourselves bare, Gird sackcloth upon your loins. (Isaiah. 32:11)

Woe to those who are at ease in Zion.... Woe to those who lie upon beds of ivory And stretch themselves upon their couches.... Who drink wine from bowls And anoint themselves with the finest oils But are not grieved at the ruin of Joseph. (Amos 6:1,4,6)

"Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute" (Psalms 82:3-4).

Learn to do well--seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. (Matthew 19:24)

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress (James 1:27)

The story of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is so not true, NOT BIBLICAL.

If you read the books of law, how God designs the perfect society, God places an obligation on everyone to give a portion of their earnings to the poor. IOW, part of what we earn BELONGS TO THE POOR, and only entrusted to us until such time as we can give it back to them. This is encoded in such laws as:
  • the 10% tithe doesn't just go to support the Levites, but also the poor (Deuteronomy 14:28; 26:12)
  • a hungry person may enter an orchard or field and eat until they are full and it is not stealing (Deuteronomy 23:24-25)
  • the corners of a harvesting field must be left for the poor to harvest (Leviticus 19:9)
  • if while harvesting some fall to the ground, or fruit fall from the trees, they are not to be picked up but left for the poor to glean (Leviticus 19:10)
  • during the sabbatical year, the land is to be left fallow so that the poor (as well as animals) may eat of whatever grows freely (Leviticus 25:2-7)
  • if someone in need is by the gates, lend him money sufficient for that which he is in need Deuteronomy 15:7-8
  • lend the impoverished money without interest (Leviticus 25:35-37)

Tremble you women who are at ease, Shudder you complacent ones; Strip and make yourselves bare, Gird sackcloth upon your loins. (Isaiah. 32:11)

Woe to those who are at ease in Zion.... Woe to those who lie upon beds of ivory And stretch themselves upon their couches.... Who drink wine from bowls And anoint themselves with the finest oils But are not grieved at the ruin of Joseph. (Amos 6:1,4,6)

"Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute" (Psalms 82:3-4).

Learn to do well--seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. (Matthew 19:24)

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress (James 1:27)

The story of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)

Yeah,well what are you doing to fulfill that since you are the ONLY one you will give account for.

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense,the parable ends when the employer says to those complaining its my money and you agreed to work for what I agreed to pay and have no right to complain about wht I do with my money,as usual if people like you disagree its figurative ,if you agree its literal.

Parables are by definition figurative! The point of the parable is not about economics -- Jesus is called many things, but an economist is not one of them -- but about the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Parables are by definition figurative! The point of the parable is not about economics -- Jesus is called many things, but an economist is not one of them -- but about the Kingdom of God.

Well sure,the parable of the good samaritan is to be taken seriously because it fits the narrative,this parable does not so it doesn't matter,no surprise there.....business as usual,if I like it its true if I don't its not.

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well sure,the parable of the good samaritan is to be taken seriously because it fits the narrative,this parable does not so it doesn't matter,no surprise there.

No, the other parable you mentioned is being taken seriously. Except by you, apparently, because you seem to think it reflects your economic interests.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the other parable you mentioned is being taken seriously. Except by you, apparently, because you seem to think it reflects your economic interests.

No,both parables apply,you pick the one that fits your narrative and reject the other because it does not,i would advice any atheist to visit this site because one of their main arguments is that scripture contradicts its self and according to people like you it does.....so any atheist out there,what you are looking for is right here.

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No,both parables apply,you pick the one that fits your narrative and reject the other because it does not,i would advice any atheist to visit this site because one of their main arguments is that scripture contradicts its self and according to people like you it does.....so any atheist out there,what you are looking for is right here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So true. Same also for rock stars, sports players, and others in the same ballpark.

Those people are paid by those who buy concert tickets,CD's,movie tickets ect,if they are overpaid its because Americans have an issue with idolatry....those people are just cashing in on that fact.

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does nothing for your argument except prove that you are not sufficient to defend it

If that helps you with your sense of confidence. But the fact still stands that you're extrapolating a literal economic system from a figurative point about the Kingdom of God and not about an economic system.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yeah,well what are you doing to fulfill that since you are the ONLY one you will give account for.

I say this only because you have directly asked me.
  • I pay taxes that create a social net for the poor.
  • I give money to my church which has many social programs for the poor
  • I keep snacks in my car that I give to those with signs on the road side
  • I choose careers that work with the oppressed
  • Because I can barely make ends meet, I give time rather than money, volunteering at such things as food banks and homeless shelters.

I take Matthew 25:31-46 (the sheep and the goats) VERY seriously.

I have had times in my life where I have made considerable money and could afford to be very generous.
I have also had times in my life where I have been on the receiving end, and depended on the charity of others and Government aid to keep from going hungry.

Reactions: Received
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Those people are paid by those who buy concert tickets,CD's,movie tickets ect,if they are overpaid its because Americans have an issue with idolatry....those people are just cashing in on that fact.
True!

Upvote 0