Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The birds are chirping. The flowers are vibrantly colored. "I am glad we are moving here," I inform my dog, "but it seems a little deserted this morning. Perhaps everyone went to church."

"Oh yes," you explain to me over the fence later that day. "Many of us take our faith quite seriously here".

"That's interesting", I respond. "I personally don't have much faith in any deity. Seriously, why should I adopt your faith?"

You step back, pause, and reply...

Reactions: DogmaHunter

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"That's interesting", I respond. "I personally don't have much faith in any deity. Seriously, why should I adopt your faith?"

"Don't adopt my faith and understanding... find your own way, ask your own questions. But wait, when you do ask... and listen, because you might actually get answers."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The birds are chirping. The flowers are vibrantly colored. "I am glad we are moving here," I inform my dog, "but it seems a little deserted this morning. Perhaps everyone went to church."

"Oh yes," you explain to me over the fence later that day. "Many of us take our faith quite seriously here".

Because you already talk to your dog, so why not try reversing the letters. ;)

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Well, for me, it hinges on the question posed by Jesus: "Who do you say that I am?"

I believe Christ to be the fullness of God in flesh for our salvation. Who do you hold Jesus to be?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

"You might wish to consider it, because my faith is grounded in personal experience and testable reality, in the here-and-now."

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is good to know you have “some” faith in deity even if it is not much faith.

Why do you have “some” faith in deity?

What part of deity do you trust in?

Lets start with where we do agree and study together and see where it leads?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Don't adopt my faith and understanding... find your own way, ask your own questions. But wait, when you do ask... and listen, because you might actually get answers."
Oh good, I like to ask questions.

If I should find no reason to believe in God, is your God ok with that?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You are owned and held in captivity to death, but one has come to set you free.
Oh my, I didn't realize I was a slave. I feel so free. How is it that I am a slave?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is good to know you have “some” faith in deity even if it is not much faith.

Why do you have “some” faith in deity?

What part of deity do you trust in?

Lets start with where we do agree and study together and see where it leads?
I really have no faith in diety. I cannot completely rule God out, so possibly there is something behind it all. I don't know.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"You might wish to consider it, because my faith is grounded in personal experience and testable reality, in the here-and-now."
Is having faith in testable reality basically the same thing as trusting observable science?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh my, I didn't realize I was a slave. I feel so free. How is it that I am a slave?
I didn't say slave and apparently I mistook your question as genuine. The snark of your response has corrected my mistake, so I'd like to change my response as a neighbor to that of walking away.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Is having faith in testable reality basically the same thing as trusting observable science?
Yes, I would say they are equivalent - to a degree.

Buddhism's encouragement towards testing reality requires personal verification & personal realization. "Faith" in Buddhism is simply used to motivate and propel one towards progress in that process of verification. E.g.: I have faith that step "A" is correct, because I've observed others who have achieved "A" and have demonstrated a decrease in discontentment, therefore I shall practice to achieve "A". Now that I've achieved "A" and know it for myself, 1. I no longer need faith in "A", and 2. I have generated faith in step "B", etc.

"trusting observable science" - at least contemporary science - has no direct equivalent. It does not require that everyone personally verifies results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't say slave and apparently I mistook your question as genuine. The snark of your response has corrected my mistake, so I'd like to change my response as a neighbor to that of walking away.

What you said was, "You are owned and held in captivity to death, but one has come to set you free." Please explain how this is different from being a slave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You don't have faith in any deity because you equate "having knowledge" of something with "having faith" of something, but these two things are indeed quite different. To know of something is to have proof, there is no need for trust or faith, because it is observed, understood, and accepted based upon the tangibility of one's own senses. To have faith of something is to have no proof or evidence that declares the smoking gun for why you believe it to be true, but rather, you place your trust and confidence in it without knowing or having certainty - this is truly faith. Christians do not "know" God exists, Christians do not "know" God died for us, and Christians do not "know" they will go to heaven when they die. No, instead, we "believe" God exists as a perfect creator that opposes the fallible imperfection of our sinful nature (sin we ourselves chose to commit, not God's fault), we "believe" God became flesh to sacrifice himself as an invaluable atonement for all who trust him to save us from the wickedness we don't deserve to be saved from, and we "believe" that we will be with God in heaven when we die because we "believe" that God is as much a loving God as he is a God of justice.

I would say to you that you yourself have as much faith in the things of this world as a Christian does in the Lord Jesus Christ, you just don't realize it. When a person tells you that the President has been assassinated, at first telling, you would believe it - who wouldn't? But wouldn't you truly know afterward the President was assassinated, when you had had it verified to you? The same is with Christians, we trust and have faith that what God gave us as inspired scripture written over the course of 2500 years by 40 different authors all testifying (from the past, from the present, and from the future) of the same thing - Jesus Christ coming to save mankind - is true and we trust it because we know we cannot trust ourselves or any other person. The Christian is a humble man, who accepts his evil nature as being wrong, but deserving of judgement, and we seek refuge in the Savior to keep us from the wrath and justice of God that is to come against all unrighteousness of men.

I, as a Christian, could never do well to convince you of the truth - I could only present to you what I believe the truth is, and you would have to either receive it unto eternal life, or reject it unto eternal damnation. You would have to accept that you're not good enough to meet God's standard, and that you need a Savior to save you from your sin. But, again, I couldn't convince you - you would have to decide to believe it, because you could never know it was the truth until you died and went to heaven.

The unfortunate part is... that we will all end up "knowing" the truth of the afterlife, whether we end up in heaven through Christ, or whether we end up in hell - I would just urge you not to be hasty in making the wrong decision, friend.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Either myth or an ordinary man, not sure which.

Perhaps I can help a bit. That Jesus from Nazareth existed is a historical fact. It’s agreed on between his many and diverse followers, Jewish sources, Islamic sources and secular sources. His existence is well documented and it’s widely recognized that Jesus was crucified for claiming to be the Christ.

Where faith comes into question is taking Jesus at his own words. It’s a famous saying that he either has to be crazy, a liar, or, that he really is who he says he is: Christ.

There are many reasons I believe, but one compelling historical reason is that because of Jesus, many thousands of Orthodox Jews suddenly stopped practicing their religion in favor of following Jesus; or rather - they all understood Jesus to be the fulfillment of their Scriptures. This may seem like a strange place to look for evidence, but my point is this: Why would any Orthodox religious Jew of the day abandon their practice for absolutely no gain, but only to suffer exile, torture or death on account of Jesus? It’s only a life changing experience that can explain their genuine conviction. I think if we look at how important the Law was to the religious of the day and consider how significant it is that they abandoned it is a strong indicator that something real and profound took place. I believe the followers of Christ documented these things, which is what formed what we now know as the New Testament.

• Agree
Reactions: Holoman
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really have no faith in diety. I cannot completely rule God out, so possibly there is something behind it all. I don't know.
I think you contradicted yourself.

Faith

b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

"I really have no 'faith/belief' in diety."
"I cannot completely rule God out..."

Which one is it?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you contradicted yourself.

Faith

b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof

"I really have no 'faith/belief' in diety."
"I cannot completely rule God out..."

Which one is it?
Both.

I really have no faith in diety and I cannot completely rule God out.

Upvote 0