Why would god hide, and punish us for believing the wrong men about him?

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
I understand that men have interpreted God's word through the millenia, so it's not He who is confusing the question, but why would there be punishments, (or if not punishments, at least a lesser "oneness" with him) if you happened to be born in a Muslim country, for example, than a Christian or Catholic environment? Every religion thinks it has the "Truth" and that all others are either completely wrong or have lesser versions of the truth.

It is a dangerous trick or riddle that each person has to figure out. Seems to me that this feeds the idea of relativism, that perhaps God is the only truth and how we interpret Him and believe in him is less important than how act. There are other truths that seem to transcend this, like treating our fellow man in a certain way. But whether we think cows are sacred or (forgive me for this!) whether we think Jesus is alive in the Eucharist is harder to discern. Also, the fact that there is a lesser oneness depending on what religion you believe is not necessarily "Truth." Or, maybe it is. That is my question.

YeShallTread

Nov 11, 2012
✟2,637.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that men have interpreted God's word through the millenia, so it's not He who is confusing the question, but why would there be punishments, (or if not punishments, at least a lesser "oneness" with him) if you happened to be born in a Muslim country, for example, than a Christian or Catholic environment? Every religion thinks it has the "Truth" and that all others are either completely wrong or have lesser versions of the truth.

It is a dangerous trick or riddle that each person has to figure out. Seems to me that this feeds the idea of relativism, that perhaps God is the only truth and how we interpret Him and believe in him is less important than how act. There are other truths that seem to transcend this, like treating our fellow man in a certain way. But whether we think cows are sacred or (forgive me for this!) whether we think Jesus is alive in the Eucharist is harder to discern. Also, the fact that there is a lesser oneness depending on what religion you believe is not necessarily "Truth." Or, maybe it is. That is my question.

We needn't ever depend on any religion...EVER. Christ is not a religion.

Mark 13:22-23 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

For every person truly seeking God, He will make a way for them to find Him. There's no need to worry about that :)

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
It's not even about "worrying" about it. On the other forum on which I posted this same question, one of the responders said something to the effect of," In todays world anybody can get online, go to a Catholic website and see that we're right, it's just not that hard." My question is more about the fact that it seems wrong to me that MEN put these choices on each other.
But to further question your response, what about non-christian religious? Are they damned or less right?

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't believe God punishes anyone for not having all their theological t's crossed. If that were the case, we'd all be screwed.

-CryptoLutheran

Exactly. That's the best answer I can come up with. All of the "we're right and you're wrong" stuff is strictly a recruitment tool. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. That's the best answer I can come up with. All of the "we're right and you're wrong" stuff is strictly a recruitment tool. ;)

Let God be true, and all men liars.:thumbsup:

Romans 9:8-16

King James Version (KJV)

8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.
10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)
12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

The Lord knows who are His.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's not even about "worrying" about it. On the other forum on which I posted this same question, one of the responders said something to the effect of," In todays world anybody can get online, go to a Catholic website and see that we're right, it's just not that hard." My question is more about the fact that it seems wrong to me that MEN put these choices on each other.
But to further question your response, what about non-christian religious? Are they damned or less right?

You're questioning something that only God can answer. It's not about what man says. God is actively seeking those who are seeking Him. God will not lose one child who belongs to Him, despite their religious affiliation.

Upvote 0
B

BluhdoftheLamb

I'm heartened to see the responses so far. I will add that Jesus said we would know the doctrine IF we obey the Father. I don't think this is dependent on where we were born, or anything else like that. Those things are all "respecter of persons," which God is NOT. We each have a conscience; the difficulties that poses are why the Gospel must be preached.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

When we start talking about people that never new about Jesus, we leave the scripture behind us, because for the most part scripture only address those that accept and reject God’s offer and does not address those that never heard about Christ.

The good news is we do not have to judge, since God who looks at the heart of people will judge, so doe that mean they are all saved?

I have known people that had never known about Christ, but only after they had become believers. I have and support individuals in Communist China that talk with people daily that do not know about Christ (and do not have the internet), so what do they need to know?

There are those that die before ever maturing enough to make a free will choice to accept or reject God’s help so what happens to them and why?

I have heard many conversion story of people that previously never heard about Christ and some went like this:

The person never new Christ, but was searching for help for relief from the burden his conscience was creating over previous decisions he made that hurt others. He had tried other things including other religions but nothing had worked. He had turned to the Creator of the universe and had felt something, so when the person came talking about God and Christ it all fit, It was really good news to him and the person that was explaining it was just answering sincere questions, it was fun for them. So was the person a follower, before or after the Christian came to him?

Upvote 0