Why would Christians support abortion?

Should Christians support abortion?

• No. Christians should fight against the murder of innocent babies.

• Not unless there is a serious medical reason.

• Only in the first trimester. It isn't really a baby yet.

• Christians should not support it, but it should be the woman's choice.

• Yes. The government should not take the right to safe abortion away.

• No, with some exceptions, as for pregnancy as the result of rape or incest.

• Yes, when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.

• Yes. It is the woman's body, she should have the right to choose.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This is a puzzlement to me.
We, who worship the Creator of Life, who bow before the Son, Who died that we might have eternal life...
How could we possibly involve ourselves in over 1.5 million deaths every year?
There is an estimate that some 200,000 of those abortions are performed on Bible believing, Christian women.
That is why I brought this question here, in a Christians only forum.
I want to know....how many Christians here support abortion...and why?

Reactions: St_Worm2

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It's not something I've really thought about too much. What about abortions as the product of rape?
I suppose I should have made that an option, huh?

EDIT:
option added...

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a supporter of abortion, but favour the discussion and support approach than some of the shock tactics used by certain groups. Particularly when the same approach is used regardless of the reasons why a woman has decided abortion is the option she wishes to use.

Perhaps conversely I'm also a supporter of the right to make your own choice. Which leads to me being labelled as being a supporter of abortion. I guess I support abortion from the secular viewpoint that up until a certain point a child in the womb is not technically a child, but as a Christian I view children as a gift to be protected from the moment of conception. There are always circumstances which require deeper thought and careful conversations with individuals far more learned than I, but there we go.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ah thank you. Whats your view on that particular point? I've vaguely skimmed through some of the posts in another thread.
While I am against abortion for any cause except in severe medical cases, where the life of the mother is at risk, or where the baby would have a short, painful life, I can understand why someone who had gotten pregnant by rape might not want to carry the baby. Still, no one should have to die for the sin of his father. And I have known mothers who have decided to keep the child...and it helped her to deal with the horror of what had happened to her. The baby can be a blessing.
After all, look what a blessing God brought forth from the horror of the cross...

Reactions: Linet Kihonge
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm not a supporter of abortion, but favour the discussion and support approach than some of the shock tactics used by certain groups. Particularly when the same approach is used regardless of the reasons why a woman has decided abortion is the option she wishes to use.

Perhaps conversely I'm also a supporter of the right to make your own choice. Which leads to me being labelled as being a supporter of abortion. I guess I support abortion from the secular viewpoint that up until a certain point a child in the womb is not technically a child, but as a Christian I view children as a gift to be protected from the moment of conception. There are always circumstances which require deeper thought and careful conversations with individuals far more learned than I, but there we go.
Perhaps I should have made "undecided" an option?
No, I think I've messed with it enough...

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While I am against abortion for any cause except in severe medical cases, where the life of the mother is at risk, or where the baby would have a short, painful life, I can understand why someone who had gotten pregnant by rape might not want to carry the baby. Still, no one should have to die for the sin of his father. And I have known mothers who have decided to keep the child...and it helped her to deal with the horror of what had happened to her. The baby can be a blessing.
After all, look what a blessing God brought forth from the horror of the cross...
It's the idea that a young child who is a victim of rape and abuse, has to bring a baby into this world as a constant reminder. Seeing the child develop the features of the monster responsible for those actions. Each case is different of course. Again, it's not something I've overly thought about.

Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Ah thank you. Whats your view on that particular point? I've vaguely skimmed through some of the posts in another thread.

Not sure where I sit on the matter, but I think I'd still lean towards against abortion. That said, I understand it would be unbelievably difficult and take strength only He can provide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Not sure where I sit on the matter, but I think I'd still lean towards against abortion. That said, I understand it would be unbelievably difficult and take strength only He can provide.

Would you truly expect the Lord to provide strength to have an abortion?
Isn't He the One Who said "thou shalt do no murder"?
Didn't He tell us that He knew us in our mothers' womb?
If you think God would lend His support to a woman undergoing an abortion, we must not be worshiping the same God...

Reactions: Linet Kihonge
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would you truly expect the Lord to provide strength to have an abortion?
Isn't He the One Who said "thou shalt do no murder"?
Didn't He tell us that He knew us in our mothers' womb?
If you think God would lend His support to a woman undergoing an abortion, we must not be worshiping the same God...
I don't think you understood his post. From what I read, he said keeping the baby would be hard and requires the strength from God.

"I'd still lean towards against abortion. That said, I understand it would be unbelievably difficult and take strength only He can provide."

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think you understood his post. From what I read, he said keeping the baby would be hard and requires the strength from God.

"that said, I understand it would be unbelievably difficult and take strength only He can provide."

Yes this :)

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It's the idea that a young child who is a victim of rape and abuse, has to bring a baby into this world as a constant reminder. Seeing the child develop the features of the monster responsible for those actions. Each case is different of course. Again, it's not something I've overly thought about.
I have to agree. A young child who has been the victim of rape and abuse would be one of those rare cases where I would feel comfortable with abortion.
Of course, then I'd want to hang the rapist up by his...um...ears...(understand, ears is a euphemism, and not the body parts I have in mind).

Reactions: seekingsolace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
All this talk about pregnancy from rape made me curious. I was surprised to find that it happens far more often than I would have expected:
The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. Among 34 cases of rape-related pregnancy, the majority occurred among adolescents and resulted from assault by a known, often related perpetrator. Only 11.7% of these victims received immediate medical attention after the assault, and 47.1% received no medical attention related to the rape. A total 32.4% of these victims did not discover they were pregnant until they had already entered the second trimester; 32.2% opted to keep the infant whereas 50% underwent abortion and 5.9% placed the infant for adoption; an additional 11.8% had spontaneous abortion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

Still, that's a rather small percent of the 1.5 million abortions per year...

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The question is, what is the unborn?

If the unborn is not a human being, then
no justification is necessary for an abortion.

If the unborn are human beings, then
no justification is adequate for an abortion.

It is wrong to kill a human being.
the unborn are human beings.
abortion kills a human being.
therefore, abortion is wrong.

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The question is, what is the unborn?

If the unborn is not a human being, then
no justification is necessary for an abortion.

If the unborn are human beings, then
no justification is adequate for an abortion.

It is wrong to kill a human being.
the unborn are human beings.
abortion kills a human being.
therefore, abortion is wrong.

And all of God's children say "amen"

Upvote 0