Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They might be confused thinking that they don't have to believe and they can just get a baptism.

You will be surprised there are people out there who don't believe in God, but think they are good to go because they took a bath.

But normally when one accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior they will want to get baptized and follow him.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some denominations say that baptism is a "work of the law" that they are supposed to reject.

Others claim it was replaced by baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It varies. I wasn't baptised until I was much older and decided to find a church and get it done, although I had been a Christian since I was young. We weren't church goers so it never really came up. I wanted to find a church I felt comfortable in and that I belonged to when I started my search. I'm not sorry at all that I waited and am happy that I was an adult instead of a child, but I felt saved before the baptism and after it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They might be confused thinking that they don't have to believe and they can just get a baptism.

You will be surprised there are people out there who don't believe in God, but think they are good to go because they took a bath.

But normally when one accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior they will want to get baptized and follow him.
Are you saying that there are non-believers who nevertheless think that they will be saved if they are baptized? By the way, to BE baptized in any church would require them to lie about their beliefs, so this scenario doesn't sound to me like something that happens very often.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They would normally want to get baptized with water, or the spirit?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that there are non-believers who nevertheless think that they will be saved if they are baptized? By the way, to BE baptized in any church would require them to lie about their beliefs, so this scenario doesn't sound to me like something that happens very often.

My pastor told me there are people like this. I'd be surprised too since it doesn't sound logical someone would be baptized and not believe in God. But we need to be careful not to create misconceptions about salvation.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's why its important to be like John the Baptist and ask for the candidate to show the fruits of repentance, meta noia, change of mind, not believe in mammon, serving selfish interest, by holding on to the extra cloak, but in serving God...

You can't START getting saved by being baptised, but by agreeing to serve God, to be loyal to him, to be faithful. Baptism allows you to gather with the saints. Now stay clean, to stay in the camp...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They would normally want to get baptized with water, or the spirit?
Those are 2 very different things and it is not an either/or.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some churches just do not talk about it much or make an effort to educate their members on why they should be Baptized. My wife attended a seeker service Bible Chapel for decades and was never Baptized. She just was never taught on why she should be, they believed one did not need to be Baptized, but simply believe and be saved.

She is now ready to be Baptized and understands the necessity from scripture, but we are still searching for a more permanent church home.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I decided to get baptized when I was 15 because I was afraid of not been loyal enough to the Lord, especially when I had my own sinful problems, and I believed that when I would be baptized I would receive the Holy Spirit so I didn't want to have God in me if I wasn't committed enough.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some churches just do not talk about it much or make an effort to educate their members on why they should be Baptized. My wife attended a seeker service Bible Chapel for decades and was never Baptized. She just was never taught on why she should be, they believed one did not need to be Baptized, but simply believe and be saved.

She is now ready to be Baptized and understands the necessity from scripture, but we are still searching for a more permanent church home.
Once one is saved, wouldnt the holy spirit tell them what they need to do so they would need not that another teacher tell them these things? Or do you fill that the spirit will not come before getting in the water?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once one is saved, wouldnt the holy spirit tell them what they need to do so they would need not that another teacher tell them these things? Or do you fill that the spirit will not come before getting in the water?
Most congregations do not teach their congregants how to listen to and discern the voice of the Spirit.

"so they would need not that another teacher tell them these things"

What is wrong with teachers? They are part of the equipping of the believers and are gifts to the body of Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have never been "baptized", though I was "christened" as a baby. This was entirely normal procedure for my family's church. The church I attend now does baptize adults, but I have never felt the need, and there has never been any pressure to.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My pastor told me there are people like this. I'd be surprised too since it doesn't sound logical someone would be baptized and not believe in God. But we need to be careful not to create misconceptions about salvation.

That sounds unusual - I'm sure it's been true at some point, but I doubt this issue comes up much at all. I can't see a non-believer wanting to be baptized to be saved if they really just don't care/believe. Like I said, I'm sure it's happened, but it's not common.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never been "baptized", though I was "christened" as a baby. This was entirely normal procedure for my family's church. The church I attend now does baptize adults, but I have never felt the need, and there has never been any pressure to.
I suggest you look up a youtube video by Derek Prince on water baptism. You may change your mind.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"so they would need not that another teacher tell them these things"
What is wrong with teachers? They are part of the equipping of the believers and are gifts to the body of Christ.

Well according to you, some of them withhold important information (see below). Which I believe you view as a problem. My statements suggest otherwise.....that they arent a problem.

Most congregations do not teach their congregants how to listen to and discern the voice of the Spirit.

Upvote 0