Why Was Paul So Intent On Keeping This Feast?

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is what Paul said

but took leave of them, saying, "I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem;

If these feasts are of no worth and done away with as many suggest why does Paul say what he says above and why was it so important to him?

You are referencing Acts 18:21. Not all versions have verse 21 as you cite it, but I won't get into that. For your answer, go up a little to verse 18.

Paul, Priscilla, and Aquila are sailing to Syria. It says that Paul has cut his hair because he made a vow. That's important to answer your question.

What kind of vow require the cutting off of one's hair? The Nazarite vow. [See Numbers 6 - the whole chapter]. Apparently Paul had made one.

If one made a vow to God and fully intended to keep it, one had to NOT cut one's hair for the whole duration of the vow. Such as a man might have said, "For the next 10 years, I will give a tenth of my crop to those with no food." Or a woman might have said, "Until my child grows up and leaves the house, whenever I have to sew him a new garment, I will sew two - one extra for those who can't."

When the vow was over, one was to cut the hair, bring it to the tabernacle/Temple and burn it along with several sacrifices.

Paul said he had to go to Jerusalem. Well, if he made that Nazarite vow, he did. He had to burn his hair at that one and only place. In saying, "I have to attend the feast....", I think he means I have to get to Jerusalem. The feast wasn't the issue. Verse 18 is the issue.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are referencing Acts 18:21. Not all versions have verse 21 as you cite it, but I won't get into that. For your answer, go up a little to verse 18.

Paul, Priscilla, and Aquila are sailing to Syria. It says that Paul has cut his hair because he made a vow. That's important to answer your question.

What kind of vow require the cutting off of one's hair? The Nazarite vow. [See Numbers 6 - the whole chapter]. Apparently Paul had made one.

If one made a vow to God and fully intended to keep it, one had to NOT cut one's hair for the whole duration of the vow. Such as a man might have said, "For the next 10 years, I will give a tenth of my crop to those with no food." Or a woman might have said, "Until my child grows up and leaves the house, whenever I have to sew him a new garment, I will sew two - one extra for those who can't."

When the vow was over, one was to cut the hair, bring it to the tabernacle/Temple and burn it along with several sacrifices.

Paul said he had to go to Jerusalem. Well, if he made that Nazarite vow, he did. He had to burn his hair at that one and only place. In saying, "I have to attend the feast....", I think he means I have to get to Jerusalem. The feast wasn't the issue. Verse 18 is the issue.

I find you post interesting. So you say, " if he made that Nazarite vow". That a big leap from if to an absolute, "The feast wasn't the issue". Things like this in scripture, I tend to leave open and accept that if I do not know, I do not know and move forward. This I believe is a problem with people interpreting scripture, they presume something and then state is as fact, never knowing the truth but always making the answer fit their doctrine. I only hold on to truth if it can be found and if not accept that I'm not meant to know it.

The truth is we do not know what vow was taken so, we should not make out otherwise.

That what you're stating I have read, but his words do not state I have to go to burn my hair as a sacrifice etc. He states "keep this coming feast". It's quite specific.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is what Paul said

but took leave of them, saying, "I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem;

If these feasts are of no worth and done away with as many suggest why does Paul say what he says above and why was it so important to him?
According to some of Paul’s letters, Paul was supposed to have taken up a collection for the poor saints in Jerusalem. He was traveling with other Christians. Paul wanted to arrive in Jerusalem in time for the Pentecost holiday. Since their law required those living close to Jerusalem should attend three festivals a year including Pentecost, some Jews who lived far away tried to time their journeys to Jerusalem to coincide with a festival. It was spring time and the winter storm threat had receded allowing passage by ship where there were no highway robbers.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is what Paul said

Paul was a Jewish convert, so he would have kept.the Biblical feasts even though they aren't binding undermine new covenant

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is what Paul said

If it's not backed up by a second writer, then God considers it to not be important.
God had the use of 40 writers.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Making a sacrifice for the termination of a Nazarite Vow is not a Moed. (Feast)

“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.” Acts 2:1

“For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit. But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost. “1 Cor. 16: 7.8

“For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.”Acts 20:16

“And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Passover to bring him forth to the people. Acts 12: 3,4

“When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; But bade them farewell, saying, I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus. “Acts 18:20,21 (Moed)

“Therefore let us keep the feast, not with the old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 1 Cor. 5:8 (Passover)

“Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast (Yom Kippur) was now already past, Paul admonished them, “Acts 27:9

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Paul was a Jewish convert, so he would have kept.the Biblical feasts even though they aren't binding undermine new covenant

A "convert" to what? Gentiles are converts...they are grafted in.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A "convert" to what? Gentiles are converts...they are grafted in.

What I mean is Paul realised Jesus was the Messiah. He became a completed Jew so so I
d have kept the feasts. The feasts aren't mandatory under the new covenant but they reach us much about the foreshadowing to come. of Jesus .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums