Why was is okay for men to marry multiple women but women couldn’t?

Joslyn04

Jun 17, 2019
Barbour Rd
✟24,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 19:6-8, this isn’t really about marriage but I just noticed how lot was willing to give up his daughters like they were nothing, and God didn’t say anything about it. How come it was okay for women to be treated like that. Not to sound rude or anything, but I don’t think it matters what culture or time it was, it was still a sin, right? And there were many men in the Bible that married many women, and yet it was okay? I don’t think submitting has anything to do with it, because in the end you are suppose to submit to each other and stick with each other. I understand “man of the house”, or whatever you wanna call it but it’s just doesn’t seem fair that women could be treated like that and nothing was said. Many women were raped, and forced into marriage, and that was okay by God? What if she didn’t want to marry her own rapist... I just don’t understand the things that God seems to let pass. Are women really beneath men? Do we not matter as much? Were we just put here for men’s pleasure?

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 19:6-8, this isn’t really about marriage but I just noticed how lot was willing to give up his daughters like they were nothing, and God didn’t say anything about it. How come it was okay for women to be treated like that. Not to sound rude or anything, but I don’t think it matters what culture or time it was, it was still a sin, right? And there were many men in the Bible that married many women, and yet it was okay? I don’t think submitting has anything to do with it, because in the end you are suppose to submit to each other and stick with each other. I understand “man of the house”, or whatever you wanna call it but it’s just doesn’t seem fair that women could be treated like that and nothing was said. Many women were raped, and forced into marriage, and that was okay by God? What if she didn’t want to marry her own rapist... I just don’t understand the things that God seems to let pass. Are women really beneath men? Do we not matter as much? Were we just put here for men’s pleasure?

Where does it say that a man married more than one wife...besides Jacob? Remember,concubines weren't wives and it was often the wife's idea for their husbands to go into their servants for procreation...the family line had to go on.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Women are God's gift to mankind, that doesn't mean they are beneath them. Jesus loves everyone, and commanded that we should "Love thy neighbor as thyself" That includes everyone.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where does it say that a man married more than one wife...besides Jacob? Remember,concubines weren't wives and it was often the wife's idea for their husbands to go into their servants for procreation...the family line had to go on.

King Solomon.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Joslyn04

Jun 17, 2019
Barbour Rd
✟24,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Moses had two wives, Gideon, Elkanah, King David had 8 wives, etc.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I look around me I see many with positive, negative, and deeply painful encounters. The human condition includes all three. That doesn’t mean God approves of our harm.

A loving Father desires the best for His children. But He doesn’t shackle them like oxen to make them obey. He provides instruction and support for their betterment.

But we must be willing to heed His advice. Many times we don’t and the aftermath is greater than the discomfort of our obedience.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
  • Prayers
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And here I've never had one...

Me neither, I've never even had a girlfriend in all of my life. But I know that they are to be loved with everything you have.

I love God with all my heart, mind, and soul, and with everything I have and am, and a woman deserves no less than all that you have to give. If that is not enough, then God can help.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Genesis 19:6-8, this isn’t really about marriage but I just noticed how lot was willing to give up his daughters like they were nothing, and God didn’t say anything about it.
Given the events of Genesis 19:9-13, when would God have said something? That was a time for action, and God took right action.

And there were many men in the Bible that married many women, and yet it was okay? I don’t think submitting has anything to do with it, because in the end you are suppose to submit to each other and stick with each other. I understand “man of the house”, or whatever you wanna call it but it’s just doesn’t seem fair that women could be treated like that and nothing was said.
Probably an economic concession in the Law of Moses.

Many women were raped, and forced into marriage, and that was okay by God?
God didn't sanction rape in the Law.

What if she didn’t want to marry her own rapist...
Then she wouldn't have married him, but he would have had to pay the bride-price to her father anyway. Jewish marriage tradition is to obtain the woman's consent before marrying her off, following the pattern of Rebekah's family asking her if she would marry Issac before sending her to him.

I just don’t understand the things that God seems to let pass. Are women really beneath men? Do we not matter as much? Were we just put here for men’s pleasure?
Women matter as much as men do.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Lot sinned by offering the men his daughters and then we know what happened with them afterwards. God delivered Lot from Sodom for faithful Abraham's sake (see Genesis 19:29), but there was A LOT about Lot that God was displeased with. Consider how wicked the Sodomites were that they were the bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Polygamy itself is an aberration of marriage that God never commanded but chose to regulate in OT times for reasons known to Him. Consider though that the Bible commands that women submit to their husbands and not vice-versa. This is possible when the man has more than one wife but impossible when a woman has multiple husbands. And submitting does have to do with it, because the man is the head and has the final decision in God's eyes unless that decision be inherently a wicked one. The problems with multiple wives are still evident in Scripture and though it isn't inherently sin, it is sin today for a few reasons: 1) It's against the law of the land. 2) God has made shown the bad consequences and dangers of polygamy; and shown He doesn't want it to continue though He had permitted it previously (see 1 Timothy 3:2- Polygamists cannot not be church elders but they could be grandfathered into the church). Not a change in God's morality, but a change in circumstances and what He saw fit to suffer for a time and not to suffer after such a time in his perfect wisdom.

And no, God's Law didn't force women into marriage. If you read Numbers 30 you see how a woman's vows could be negated by her male authority, but he couldn't force her into making them. God's Law only said that the man was bound to marry the virgin that was not betrothed which he had taken hold of and lay with (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). I'm not sure exactly what "take hold of" means in Deuteronomy but whatever it meant it only forced the man to marry the woman if she consented- because the need for both her and her father's consent was already established in other parts of the Law. It is possible anyways that the Deut 22:28-29 was referring to a dubious situation where whether the matter was rape or not was questionable since it is speaking of when "they be found"- and in such a case the man would likely claim consent and the women claim rape- and it would be impossible to prove it either way. The man is actually the one who is given less credibility and put in a worse situation because of the money he had to pay and the obligation being on him to marry. This would be fair because it would be impossible to know for sure who was lying but the man was stronger and surely could have avoided the act if he had chosen to.

Women do matter as much as men. Inferiority in rank does not mean inferiority in value by any means. Consider too that women have a chance to glorify God in ways that men do not because they have a better chance to demonstrate before all what submission to God means in daily, everyday decisions. Men must demonstrate this too, but women can show practically what proper submission to authority ought to look like in the context of a marriage relationship. Done well, this is a precious example and testimony due to the parallels between earthly marriage and properly relating to God (Ephesians chapter 5, etc).

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And here I've never had one...
It is requested by God that we only have one sex partner in our lifetime and that would be the person we are married to. God considers dedication, fidelity, and commitment as the most important concepts for a man to hold.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

For the record, Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.
Cain's son Lamech had two wives.
Moses had two wives as well.

About 40 instances in all.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Joslyn04, post: 74174117, member: 420364"]Genesis 19:6-8, this isn’t really about marriage but I just noticed how lot was willing to give up his daughters like they were nothing, and God didn’t say anything about it. How come it was okay for women to be treated like that. Not to sound rude or anything, but I don’t think it matters what culture or time it was, it was still a sin, right? And there were many men in the Bible that married many women, and yet it was okay? I don’t think submitting has anything to do with it, because in the end you are suppose to submit to each other and stick with each other. I understand “man of the house”, or whatever you wanna call it but it’s just doesn’t seem fair that women could be treated like that and nothing was said. Many women were raped, and forced into marriage, and that was okay by God? What if she didn’t want to marry her own rapist... I just don’t understand the things that God seems to let pass. Are women really beneath men? Do we not matter as much? Were we just put here for men’s pleasure?[/QUOTE
==========================================
Not for men's pleasure, but to be a help 'meet' (fit, reliable, suitable) for man.

Submitting to Yahuweh Sovereign Creator has everything to do with this.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would any woman want more than one of us?

Upvote 0