Oklahoma
✟7,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been wondering this for a long time...

You see we've been having a lot of family problems lately and my parents are going through a seperation and it's been kinda hard for my brother and I. Well I was talking to my Godfather about it and he said to look into fasting and I was wondering why he suggested fasting? is it maybe to see God's purpose for this seperation?

honeybee2

Dec 12, 2003
✟286.00
Faith
Christian
MysticSmurf said:
I have been wondering this for a long time...

You see we've been having a lot of family problems lately and my parents are going through a seperation and it's been kinda hard for my brother and I. Well I was talking to my Godfather about it and he said to look into fasting and I was wondering why he suggested fasting? is it maybe to see God's purpose for this seperation?
First let me say, i am so sorry to hear of your parents separation. That must be very difficult for you.
Your godfather is right, fasting is a good thing to do when you want to clear your mind, and hear from God. It is a spiritual time that you refrain from food/and/or water, and set aside time to focus on prayer and the Father. It may not help you to understand God's purpose in this situation, but it will help you to know Him better, and that's the most important. A relationship with him that is strong will help you to overcome the problems your parents are facing, when in the future you are married.

Upvote 0

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
Mystic,

I also send my condolences to your family, but I rejoice at the sight of you turning toward God for comfort in this matter. I cannot relate to you on the parent situation, but I can relate on why fasting would be beneficial. It's extremely important that when you start a fast to do it solely for the closeness of God, to enter into a better relationship with your Creator. Your Godfather is a very wise mine, incline your ear to his wisdom for he has been through alot and can offer alot of input concerning certain life situations. Like Honeybee said "It may not help you to understand God's purpose in the situation, but it will help you know him better" once you get to know God you will learn to trust Him, and once you learn to trust Him no matter what, the thought of your parents being seperated will be pale in comparison. I will pray for you. We all love you! we may not know you, but we know your suffering.

Love,
The Body Of Christ

Upvote 0

MysticSmurf

MouseGurl
Apr 13, 2004
Oklahoma
✟7,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank You!

Thanks so much for your prayers and comfort they really do mean a lot to me. Do you think that if I do fast that it will help me to put the pain behind and move on emotionally? I really want to start to fast as soon as possible but right now I am in Pheonix, Arizona on a mission trip so the climate is really new and my friends told me it's not a very good idea. I also thought that since we're on a mission trip it should be more of helping the people than helping yourself. What do you think? Thank you again for your Condolences and prayers they mean a lot to me. and thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Mystic :wave:

Im sorry to hear about the tough time you are going through. :hug: Fasting does help....Ive tried it. But you should make sure before you make the commitment that you are doing it for the right reasons. I think if the point of your fast is just to break the pain you feel right and not in trying to 'fix' things that are really beyond your control its fine.

Where am I getting this from scipturally? Look up Isaiah ch. 58, it is about fasting that pleases God. Tip: the blessings are all in Isaiah ch 58 vs 11. Historically, "the prophet was speaking to the people of Israel to remind them of their rebellion, and that even their efforts to be religious had selfish motivations". I learned this from my study Bible, edited by Max Lucado...if you or anyone else wanted to look into it later.

I hope this helped a bit! :)

Upvote 0

nb_christseeker

Jul 3, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After Jesus had fasted for 40 days, he was of course tempted, and after resisting that temptation, in Matthew it says he then began to preach. So the fasting preceded the empowerment of him to preach. Same in Mark, fasted->tempted->resisted->preached. Then in luke we have:
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee; and a rumour went out into the whole surrounding country about him; and he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.

So fasting can increase your ability to serve the Father, which is always a good thing. But before you start fasting, it would be best to memorize what Jesus said about fasting in the sermon on the mount. Smile! Its between you and God.

when I fasted, I noticed God seemed to be opening up opportunities for me to preach to people who never wanted to talk to me about God before. IT was quite cool... We know Timothy fasted a lot, and no doubt the other apostles did too. also, consider this saying of Christ:

Mat 9:15
And Jesus said to them, Can the sons of the bridechamber mourn so long as the bridegroom is with them? But days will come when the bridegroom will have been taken away from them, and then they will fast.

Is the bridegroom gone away? yea... so "then they *will* fast"? yea... and how about when his disciples couldn't drive out a particularly nasty demon? Jesus said that only by prayer and fasting would this kind go out. So you see, fasting (weakening the body) increases the power of God in you (in man's weakness resides God's strength). It's a constant battle against the flesh... the more you crucify your flesh, the more God's strength will shine. Paul knew it, the early christians knew it... I've been told in a book that after the first 3 days or so, it gets a LOT easier. So once you beat that mile-marker, you could go for a whole 10-20 days and be ok. Be sure to drink water and probly take vitamins too. You could also (as Daniel did) only eat foods that are not pleasant to the mouth with the vitamins.

Hope this helps... btw this is my first CF post! yay!

peace be with you from the Lord Yeshua of Nazareth, the son of God, begotten of the Father, true God!!! YEAH! AMEN! God I just love God. If it weren't for God, I wouldn't even be alive, nor redeemed. 2900 zillion years into eternity, it'll just be getting started. AMEN! I just love that I'm going to heaven. THANK YOU JESUS! Wow. I love God. that was kinda random, but wow. i'm really excited about Christ. anyway, peace, and bubye.

Reactions: Periann
Upvote 0