why was Esau unable to find repentance? He saught it diligently with tears.

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel in a place like Esau. I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit depart, (after I resisted Him a few times) slipped into gluttony again. (literally, bad gluttony, shameful kind of gluttony, abstaining from sweets because I thought it was an idol, start indulging in food that doesn't even taste good, sad sad sad) any how, I have lost a lot of my drive to seek God, feel like I am getting comfortable in sin, losing a lot of fear of damnation. prayer feels like talking to the wind, my mind lost most conviction, my mind feels carnal, I don't get anything out of the scriptures any more, nothing out of sermons any more, nothing out of when a Holy Spirit filled person prays over me, nothing when they lay hands on me to pray, nothing at all. I lost a lot of my reasoning ability, find that I walk in enmity against God a lot, can't seem to repent. I tried and tried, tried fasting, but am failing more and more when it comes to fasting. and started justifying indulging. anyhow, I know it is wrong to continue in sin, and want a relationship with God. I tried kneeling and submitting fully to God, but my heart feels like lead. and my thoughts, I used to pick and choose them, or try to reject thoughts as they came in, now whatever thought comes into my mind feels like it is mine, and like there is nothing I can do with it. it comes in, then sets in my heart, and I only think one track at a time, when earlier I would have three trains of thought going at a time. any ways, any advice would help. thank you. and any thoughts on why Esau could not repent, and if he could repent after all, but was just not willing to trust or something like that.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
slipped into gluttony again. (literally, bad gluttony, shameful kind of gluttony, abstaining from sweets because I thought it was an idol, start indulging in food that doesn't even taste good, sad sad sad)
Do you have OCD? Your post sounds like "scrupulosity." (If you do, re-examine these questions once you are on your meds.)

FYI, the Bible does not declare gluttony to be a sin. It is just a poor health choice.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had scrupulosity. but gluttony is more along the self indulgence sin. the Pharisees were reprimanded for it. if you overeat. it is more if you put it above God. and it talks in the New Testament about people whose god is their belly, and their end is to be burned. about those who only feed themselves. about those who are despicable and useless for any good work. how God did not listen to a people's fast because it was about self-indulgence. and winebibbers was put next to gluttons often. and gluttons were mentioned with sinners. and anything can become an idol. if food is an idol, and it is being used in the place of God, it is a sin. kind of like loving the world. it is not mentioned directly as a sin to have money, but if you love it, it can be a sin.

• Winner
Reactions: Inagony
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Nancy Hale
Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
it is not a sin to eat a candy bar, but if all you can think about all day is that candy bar, even when you are praying, and you are willing to beat up your grandpa for that candy bar, it is a sin. (I am not willing to beat up my grandpa for a candy bar lol) but, I have had very strong appetites lately, and it is along the lines of addiction. when I am not hungry, just having severe cravings. and eating without being able to make myself stop. kind of like an alcoholic, you get one drink in, you have to have another, and another, and another.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh no, I know it is a spiritual issue. I have taken meds before, they just numbed my brain. and I have talked to people with similar issues, and they said that the meds blocked them from feeling God's presence. (numbed brain) the meds don't help, they are as bad as taking alcohol for the problem. I have looked into it. if I had a brain trauma, that would be one thing, but I eat healthy, get enough sleep, and did not have this issue for years when I started following Christ. but I fell back into it. and I had a brain that was very proactive, thinking a bunch of stuff at a time, remembering everything I read. but now I can only think one train of thought at a time.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it is not a sin to eat a candy bar, but if all you can think about all day is that candy bar, even when you are praying, and you are willing to beat up your grandpa for that candy bar, it is a sin. (I am not willing to beat up my grandpa for a candy bar lol) but, I have had very strong appetites lately, and it is along the lines of addiction. when I am not hungry, just having severe cravings. and eating without being able to make myself stop. kind of like an alcoholic, you get one drink in, you have to have another, and another, and another.
You are only affirming my observations. Do you take medicine for the OCD/scrupulosity?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
years later. and this time, it was religious, before it was obsessive, this time it was like I had to, and verses would force me to do stuff. I got prayed over, and the thoughts left, and I could think clearly, more so than ever before, and I felt the Holy Spirit urgently calling me to submit and surrender to Him. But I didn't do it. and it came back. which leads me to think it was demonic oppression. I felt the Holy Spirit leave, then felt like these thoughts completely took over, so I hope I did not reject the Holy Spirit, let in demons, and become like the one who had seven more return. and now I can not think like before, and my thoughts are like that of someone I would talk to and be confounded at their lack of understanding. someone who is under a strong delusion, who you can not talk sense into, or make them care. or get them off of drugs.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I feel in a place like Esau. I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit depart, (after I resisted Him a few times) slipped into gluttony again. (literally, bad gluttony, shameful kind of gluttony, abstaining from sweets because I thought it was an idol, start indulging in food that doesn't even taste good, sad sad sad) any how, I have lost a lot of my drive to seek God, feel like I am getting comfortable in sin, losing a lot of fear of damnation. prayer feels like talking to the wind, my mind lost most conviction, my mind feels carnal, I don't get anything out of the scriptures any more, nothing out of sermons any more, nothing out of when a Holy Spirit filled person prays over me, nothing when they lay hands on me to pray, nothing at all. I lost a lot of my reasoning ability, find that I walk in enmity against God a lot, can't seem to repent. I tried and tried, tried fasting, but am failing more and more when it comes to fasting. and started justifying indulging. anyhow, I know it is wrong to continue in sin, and want a relationship with God. I tried kneeling and submitting fully to God, but my heart feels like lead. and my thoughts, I used to pick and choose them, or try to reject thoughts as they came in, now whatever thought comes into my mind feels like it is mine, and like there is nothing I can do with it. it comes in, then sets in my heart, and I only think one track at a time, when earlier I would have three trains of thought going at a time. any ways, any advice would help. thank you. and any thoughts on why Esau could not repent, and if he could repent after all, but was just not willing to trust or something like that.

Esau's example is more comparable to judgement day, when the opportunity to repent is worthless, than it does where you are right now. He sought it with tears, but not for the right reasons. He sought it with tears, but only after it was given to Jacob.

Here's a chapter from my devotional I read a few days ago:

Can a regenerate person become spiritually weary and not delight in God?

1. I answer, Yes--but this delight in God is not wholly extinct. This lassitude and weariness in a child of God may arise from the in-dwelling of corruption, Rom. 7.24. It is not from the grace which is in him--but the sin which dwells in him--just as Peter's sinking on the water was not from his faith--but his fear. Yet I still say--that a regenerate person's will is for God, Rom. 7.15. Paul found sometimes an indisposition to good, Rom. 7.23--yet at the same time he professes a delight in God, verse 22. "I delight in the law of God, in the inner man." One may delight in music, or any recreation--yet through weariness of body, be for the present dulled and indisposed. Just so--a Christian may love God's law, though sometimes the clog of the flesh weighing him down, he finds his former vigor and agility abated.

2. I answer, That this spiritual faintness and weariness in a regenerate person is not habitual; it is not his constant temper. The water may ebb for a while it is low-tide; but there is soon a high-tide again. Just so, it is sometimes low-tide in a Christian's soul. At this time, he finds an indisposition and irksomeness to that which is holy--but within a short time, there is a high-tide of affection--and the soul is carried full sail in holy duties! It is with a Christian, as with a man who is very ill; when he is sick he does not take that delight in his food as formerly; nay, sometimes the very sight of it nauseates him. But when he is well--he goes to his food again with delight and appetite. Just so, when the soul is distempered through sadness and melancholy, it finds not that delight in Scripture and prayer as formerly; but when it returns to its healthful temper again, now it has the same delectability and cheerfulness in God's service as before!

3. I answer, That this spiritual weariness in a regenerate person is involuntary. He is troubled at it; he does not hug his disease—but mourns under it. He is weary of his weariness! When he finds a heaviness in duty, he goes heavily under that heaviness; he prays, weeps, wrestles, uses all means to regain that alacrity in God's service, as he was accustomed to have. David, when his chariot wheels were pulled off, and he drove on heavily in piety--how often does he pray for quickening grace! When the saints have found their hearts fainting, their affections flagging, and a strange kind of lethargy seizing on them--they are never at rest until they have recovered themselves--and are arrived at that freedom and delight in God, as they were once sensible of.

The second case is—Whether a hypocrite may not serve God with delight? I answer—he may. Herod heard John the Baptist gladly, Matt. 6.20. and those who fasted for strife and debate, "did delight to know God's way," Isa, 58.2. An hypocrite may, out of some flashy hopes of heaven, show a delight in goodness; but yet it is not such a delight as is found in the regenerate, for his delight is carnal. A man may be carnal while he is doing spiritual things: It is not the holiness and strictness in piety, which the hypocrite delights in—but something else. He delights in prayer—but it is rather the showing of gifts he looks at, than the exercise of grace. He delights in hearing—but it is not the spirituality of the Scripture he delights in; not the savor of knowledge—but the luster. When he goes to the word preached, it is that he may rather feast his mind, than better his heart; as if a man should go to an apothecary's shop for a pill, only to see the gilding of it, not for the operative virtue. The hypocrite goes to the word to see what gilding is in a sermon, and what may delight the intellect. Hypocrites come to Scripture as one comes into a garden to pluck some fine flower to smell—not as a child comes to the breast for nutriment. This is rather than .

Such were those in Ezek. 33.32, You "are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument." The prophet being eloquent, and having a pleasing delivery, they were much taken with it, and it was as sweet to them as fine music—but it was not the spirituality of the matter they so well liked, as the tuneableness of the voice. It was a sharp—yet seasonable reproof of Chrysostom to his hearers, "This is that," says he, "which is likely to undo your souls—you hear your ministers as so many minstrels, to please the ear, not to pierce the conscience." You see, a hypocrite's delight in piety is carnal; it is not the being nourished up in the words of faith, which he minds—but the eloquence of speech, the rareness of notion, the quickness of imagination, the smoothness of style: he strives only to pluck from the tree of . Alas, poor man, you may have the , and yet it may be night in your soul.

- Chapter 5, the Saint's Spiritual Delight by Thomas Watson.

Upvote 0

Sound Doctrine

Endure Sound Doctrine
Site Supporter
May 31, 2018
Eastern Time Zone US
✟163,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Esau was not chosen according to election. Isaac was chosen by God, Romans 9. As for gluttony, we need to keep ourselves from idols. We must put God first then love our neighbors as ourselves. It is good you recognize that you are slipping. Get into the Bible again and start a regular practice of reading it. Read where you think you need to, to get restarted. Were you drawn to Jesus in the first place or did someone simply "talk you into it?" I ask, only as a question with no inference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I tried kneeling and submitting fully to God ...
Hey, brother, it sounds like DAVID at times!
Just continue to kneel before HIM and pray!
And REPENT, which you know means:
- be sorry for your sin
- desire to forsake your sin
- run away from your sin

ALL OF WHAT THE FATHER and THE SON
ARE SAYING TO THEIR PEOPLE THESE DAYS
(TO BE SHARED WITH OTHERS OF THEIR PEOPLE)
IS ALL ABOUT "REPENT, AND I WILL SAVE YOU!"

Also, brother, plead the precious blood of Jesus!

"Father God, in the name of Your only begotten Son
the Lord Jesus, I plead the precious blood of Jesus
all over me ... inside and outside ... I am totally
drenched with the blood of Jesus from head to toe!
I praise You, Father, and I thank You, Jesus,
for Your precious blood that You shed for me!"

This will get rid of any demons that are hounding you!
Demons hate 2 words! ... JESUS ... and ... BLOOD
... when the blood refers to Jesus' blood.

You're on your way to Victory, brother ... Guaranteed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Remember what happened to Esau. He was cheated out of his birthright, and at that time things looked hopeless for him. But in later life he became prosperous. He eventually forgave Jacob, though frankly that part of the story makes him look like a better man than Jacob. They came together again to bury their father.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Esau was not chosen according to election. Isaac was chosen by God, Romans 9. As for gluttony, we need to keep ourselves from idols. We must put God first then love our neighbors as ourselves. It is good you recognize that you are slipping. Get into the Bible again and start a regular practice of reading it. Read where you think you need to, to get restarted. Were you drawn to Jesus in the first place or did someone simply "talk you into it?" I ask, only as a question with no inference.
I read the Bible every day. thanks for the advice, it is a good idea to keep it up anyway, like eating your vegetables, you develop a taste for vegetables. I think I see many things that I did wrong. and I do see a lot of the problems with the hypocrites in my life. I decided to follow Christ after a guilt from a sin that I fell into, and decided to accept Him as my Lord, kind of rededicate, but I would never have the assurance I was looking for. I would often afterwards do the sinners prayer. but I kept resisting to do God's will in one area of my life, and now it seems that that may have been a root of bitterness. and I felt called by His Holy Spirit to surrender and submit to Him several times, and kept resisting, and then felt like His presence left (many other things happened too). and like convictions stopped, lost a lot of my thinking ability, felt like a hand reached into my head and pulled out all of the scriptures. and then the most awful emptiness in my heart, like someone blew a black hole in it, and set it on fire. love, patience, self control, peace, joy, even hope seemed to leave, and I was in severe stress, anxiety, unease, and terror took the place of the good stuff. so it got so bad that I ran to food to try to fill that spot. now it feels like my heart is so hard that I can't control it. I can try to seek God for Him, but seems like my motives themselves have been set in an improper place, and I choose to believe that can be fixed, then I can seek God with a true, pure heart.

Upvote 0

Sound Doctrine

Endure Sound Doctrine
Site Supporter
May 31, 2018
Eastern Time Zone US
✟163,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read the Bible every day. thanks for the advice, it is a good idea to keep it up anyway, like eating your vegetables, you develop a taste for vegetables. I think I see many things that I did wrong. and I do see a lot of the problems with the hypocrites in my life. I decided to follow Christ after a guilt from a sin that I fell into, and decided to accept Him as my Lord, kind of rededicate, but I would never have the assurance I was looking for. I would often afterwards do the sinners prayer. but I kept resisting to do God's will in one area of my life, and now it seems that that may have been a root of bitterness. and I felt called by His Holy Spirit to surrender and submit to Him several times, and kept resisting, and then felt like His presence left (many other things happened too). and like convictions stopped, lost a lot of my thinking ability, felt like a hand reached into my head and pulled out all of the scriptures. and then the most awful emptiness in my heart, like someone blew a black hole in it, and set it on fire. love, patience, self control, peace, joy, even hope seemed to leave, and I was in severe stress, anxiety, unease, and terror took the place of the good stuff. so it got so bad that I ran to food to try to fill that spot. now it feels like my heart is so hard that I can't control it. I can try to seek God for Him, but seems like my motives themselves have been set in an improper place, and I choose to believe that can be fixed, then I can seek God with a true, pure heart.

You are in a spiritual battle with Satan. Ask the Lord to remove Satan from your life, to search your heart that He might reveal your true nature, that you may not sin against Him. Only God knows everything in our hearts. David asked God to search his heart for the same reason. Many righteous people find themselves in a "black hole" from time to time. It is part of the knowledge of good and evil Adam and Eve chose to eat. Pray the "Our Father" as well. Do so thoughtfully, concentrating on each word and its meanings. Put on the whole armor of God to fight the devil. Resist him and he will flee from you. Only God can make the devil go, and so you ask Jesus to make him go. He will do it. I've experienced it myself. Jesus does not speak empty words or lies. Satan does.

Upvote 0