Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the story of Joseph and Potiphar's wife would beg to differ. :)
I am also reminded of the event in St. Thomas Aquinas's life, where his brothers tried to get to have sex, (basically in a "you're getting worked up too much over this God stuff, you need to get laid" sort of move) and the saint, shall we say, rejected the idea forcefully.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Joseph wasn't a virgin.

Actually, we don't know what he was... Latin Rites say he was... Eastern rite and EO say he was a widow... either is pure speculation.

what I find absolutely interesting is the West, as per usual pushes the celibacy of Joesph and the Eastern pushes the, he was married before.

Its just a reflection on how we view sex and marriage in the Latin Rite and in the Eastern Rites...IMO. Such a difference. One puts emphasis on marriage, the other on celibacy.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Actually, we don't know what he was... Latin Rites say he was... Eastern rite and EO say he was a widow... either is pure speculation.

what I find absolutely interesting is the West, as per usual pushes the celibacy of Joesph and the Eastern pushes the, he was married before.

Its just a reflection on how we view sex and marriage in the Latin Rite and in the Eastern Rites...IMO. Such a difference. One puts emphasis on marriage, the other on celibacy.
Except that the above discussion was about Joseph son of Israel, not Joseph husband of Mary.

I think at the time of the incident in question that Joseph was a virgin, though obviously he was not one at the end of his life since he has many descendants.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Except that the above discussion was about Joseph son of Israel, not Joseph husband of Mary.

I think at the time of the incident in question that Joseph was a virgin, though obviously he was not one at the end of his life since he has many descendants.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0