Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why aren't the Republicans fighting harder against these extra Kavanaugh hearings coming up next week? Why isn't the President fighting harder against them instead of encouraging them to take place?

I think it's because this move shows the obvious desperation of the Democrats and these hearings will be a political travesty for them, causing them to lose more faith from the American people. The Republicans know this and so are willing to let this play out. Your thoughts?

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given that with hours they had 65 women attesting to his character, the GOP knew this would come up, and they think it will blow over.

I think they are wrong and should drop this appointment and go to the next one.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Given that with hours they had 65 women attesting to his character, the GOP knew this would come up, and they think it will blow over.

You think the GOP is wrong and should drop Kavanaugh?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why aren't the Republicans fighting harder against these extra Kavanaugh hearings coming up next week? Why isn't the President fighting harder against them instead of encouraging them to take place?

I think it's because this move shows the obvious desperation of the Democrats and these hearings will be a political travesty for them, causing them to lose more faith from the American people. The Republicans know this and so are willing to let this play out. Your thoughts?
I think it's wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because of the factors in the last couple of paragraphs of the NPR article you quoted:

"When Anita Hill accused then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment in 1991, there were four women in the Senate and none on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Thomas went on to be confirmed.

But Ford's accusation is coming to light in a different era. Now, with 23 women in the Senate — including four on the judiciary committee — and the backdrop of the #MeToo movement, Kavanaugh's future as a Supreme Court justice is in uncharted territory."

Silencing the hearings would be taking an official, public position that sexual assault is unimportant, that the most important response to a charge of sexual assault is to silence the accuser quickly, so as to protect the reputation of the person accused. I think this is not a position that the Republican Party wants to take at this time. It is a policy that has turned out very badly for several major organizations in recent history.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
K has already said he wants to testify right now. The Dems are even trying to delay the start of that. Just struggling to get even just another week of delay. Watch and see, they will now come up with yet another phony excuse to get as many more delays as they can.

It is strictly a political ploy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Because of the factors in the last couple of paragraphs of the NPR article you quoted:

"When Anita Hill accused then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment in 1991, there were four women in the Senate and none on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Thomas went on to be confirmed.

But Ford's accusation is coming to light in a different era. Now, with 23 women in the Senate — including four on the judiciary committee — and the backdrop of the #MeToo movement, Kavanaugh's future as a Supreme Court justice is in uncharted territory."

Silencing the hearings would be taking an official, public position that sexual assault is unimportant, that the most important response to a charge of sexual assault is to silence the accuser quickly, so as to protect the reputation of the person accused. I think this is not a position that the Republican Party wants to take at this time. It is a policy that has turned out very badly for several major organizations in recent history.

With elections coming up, it will be a big favor for Democrats if Republicans signal that they are OK with sexual assault.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Or... they're hedging their bets and want to give the appearance of thoroughness just in case the allegations against Kavanaugh are true.

No Republican wants to risk putting a rapist on the Supreme Court... and with midterm elections coming up, they don't want to risk looking like they're rushing to put a rapist on the Supreme Court.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is the worst possible advice, at least until the accusation is proven. If someone of K's competence and proven character can be thrown away so easily, no one will be able to stand for appointment to any position, and our politics, already fraught, will be come impossible, and the nation ungovernable (which, I will note, is the explicit goal of some on the Left). It's a sad commentary that someone like K has to be put through this, but it's a gauntlet that now must be run for the good of the nation. May God be with him.

From what I'm hearing, the accuser has some major baggage, and the accusations are thin gruel indeed. Couple that with Feinstein's tactical timing, and the chorus of affirmations that K is top shelf and that the incident never happened, and there is strong likelihood that this is a smear. If so, letting this play out may be a painful but necessary purgative for our troubled nation. Because if it is a smear, many should be rightly repulsed and begin to demand better from our politicians.

And all that doesn't even touch on whether we should allow something that happened in someone's youth 36 years ago to dictate what we do today. People can change, and K's record is without dispute outstanding.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You think the GOP is wrong and should drop Kavanaugh?

I think there is to many problems with Kavanaugh. He didn't answer many of the questions, dodging most of them. He is documented lieing to congress. And now this.

If they want to fill the seat before the election, time to look at the next canadate. If they don't care about the damage this will do, they can push him through. But he will be open to impeachment if he doesn't change his ways.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Democrats and these hearings will be a political travesty for them
The travesty is going to be when the Democrats go on trial and they are held to the same standard that they are trying to hold other to. Then they will have no one to blame other then themselves because they will get caught in their own trap.

Proverbs 26:27 If you set a trap for others, you will get caught in it yourself. If you roll a boulder down on others, it will crush you instead.

Psalm 7:15 "They dig a deep pit to trap others, then fall into it themselves."

When they are arrested there will be no public display. They have already arrested 2,300 suspected online child sex offenders and you do not see any of that on the news on TV.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the worst possible advice, at least until the accusation is proven. If someone of K's competence and proven character can be thrown away so easily, no one will be able to stand for appointment to any position, and our politics, already fraught, will be come impossible, and the nation ungovernable (which, I will note, is the explicit goal of some on the Left). It's a sad commentary that someone like K has to be put through this, but it's a gauntlet that now must be run for the good of the nation. May God be with him.

From what I'm hearing, the accuser has some major baggage, and the accusations are thin gruel indeed. Couple that with Feinstein's tactical timing, and the chorus of affirmations that K is top shelf and that the incident never happened, and there is strong likelihood that this is a smear. If so, letting this play out may be a painful but necessary purgative for our troubled nation. Because if it is a smear, many should be rightly repulsed and begin to demand better from our politicians.

And all that doesn't even touch on whether we should allow something that happened in someone's youth 36 years ago to dictate what we do today. People can change, and K's record is without dispute outstanding.

Like I said before, he is not the ideal canadate. The fact there is documented lies to congress should disqualify him in my opinon. The big debts doesn't help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If Kavanaugh is completely innocent and has nothing to hide, why are they so reluctant to hold hearings?
Ringo

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is to many problems with Kavanaugh.
The story is that Kennedy picked his own replacement and Trump agreed to go along with it.

Of course the obstructionists are going to do what they can to stop him because he does not represent their corrupted agenda. He is not a revisionist.

They had the same situation with Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill. So they will give her a chance to present her testimony and he will be given a chance to defend himself. It actually makes for pretty good TV coverage.

I have no doubt that this women went through this trauma, but am sure it was not Kavanaugh that did it. We will find out on Monday when we hear their testimony.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Kavanaugh is completely innocent and has nothing to hide, why are they so reluctant to hold hearings?
It is a done deal now, they are ready to hear her testimony on Monday. Only so far she has not responded. Maybe she is going to back out and not try to keep up this charade.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think there is to many problems with Kavanaugh. He didn't answer many of the questions, dodging most of them. He is documented lieing to congress. And now this.

If they want to fill the seat before the election, time to look at the next canadate. If they don't care about the damage this will do, they can push him through. But he will be open to impeachment if he doesn't change his ways.

When was the last time the GOP cared about "damage"?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or women?

But as for these accusations being a "charade", it sure is a sign of absolute innocence when your talking points are
a) I don't remember the party (which party it was has never been specified)
b) This was just roughhousing anyway, so there's no problem

If someone accused me of rape, I would say "I have never, and would never, rape anyone". I would not say, "Well, this was just roughhousing and boys will be boys" because I know I'd be innocent. Kavanaugh isn't innocent; just a bad liar.
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0