Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do not think it would be safe at all to assume something I have never said do you dear friend? Perhaps you may wish to go back and re-read my posts which are not saying what your suggesting and assuming they are.
All you have to do is answer "yes". Since you refuse to do that, your answer must be "no".

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All you have to do is answer "yes". Since you refuse to do that, your answer must be "no".
I do not think it would be safe at all to assume something I have never said do you dear friend? Perhaps you may wish to go back and re-read my posts which are not saying what your suggesting and assuming they are.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
@BobRyan - please accept my apologies for the post which caused offense. It does not reflect my actual opinions of Ellen G White or the SDA church, which are highly positive, and I have erased it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again your disregarding the scripture contexts of Hebrews 4:1-9 that defines both how we enter into Gods' rest by believing and following God's Word and what that it is God's seveth day Sabbath rest that is defined in the scriptures as Gods Rest/His Rest/My Rest those those who believe and follow God's Word enter into by believing and following God's Word.

I don't think we're going to agree on this. In both chapters the main point Paul is stressing is "Today" if you hear his voice with belief you may enter into his rest (katapausis), abode, rest.

Now notice Hebrews 4, verse 9: “SO THEN, IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

It seems as if you are adding 4521 sabbaton which is The sabbath or day of the week repose to verse 9. The word rest (sabbath) in verse 9 is yes, derived from 4521 but it is 4520 sabbatismos and it simply means repose (lay rest) (as type of heaven)-rest.

Hebrews 4:9 "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

If this verse was meant to read as the" Day of the week Sabbath", I would think they would have used 4521 (sabbaton) specifically which is used numerous times in the New Testament. The rest in this verse simply means repose, rest. And we are given that with Christ.

[11], Let us labor therefore to enter that rest, [God’s REST the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH]

And again, the rest in this verse is 2663 once again -katapausis- that's the rest we enter in after our labor. Just as God did after his. Again with Christ we aren't talking resting one day of the week. We should be in his rest every day of the week.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we're going to agree on this. In both chapters the main point Paul is stressing is "Today" if you hear his voice with belief you may enter into his rest (katapausis), abode, rest.

It seems as if you are adding 4521 sabbaton which is The sabbath or day of the week repose to verse 9. The word rest (sabbath) in verse 9 is yes, derived from 4521 but it is 4520 sabbatismos and it simply means repose (lay rest) (as type of heaven)-rest.

Hebrews 4:9 "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

If this verse was meant to read as the" Day of the week Sabbath", I would think they would have used 4521 (sabbaton) specifically which is used numerous times in the New Testament. The rest in this verse simply means repose, rest. And we are given that with Christ.

And again, the rest in this verse is 2663 once again -katapausis- that's the rest we enter in after our labor. Just as God did after his. Again with Christ we aren't talking resting one day of the week. We should be in his rest every day of the week.
Amen! Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used and is found no where else in the Bible. It's amazing that certain people would suggest that this is the word for keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law when it is not used anywhere else in the Bible.

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen! Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used and is found no where else in the Bible. It's amazing that certain people would suggest that this is the word for keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law when it is not used anywhere else in the Bible.

Exactly. Why use that specific word for that verse when 4521 (sabbaton) could have very well been used if it meant the Sabbath day repose. Especially as you noted that this was the only time it was used.

• Winner
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index
Those people would include whoever said, "(sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) Literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest."

And W. E. Vine when He said, "SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" "

Everything that follows that is commentary based on his opinion. NOTHING in the text alludes to his assessment.

And it is rather lacking considering there are two rests mentioned in verse 10. The rest entered into. And the ceasing from work AS GOD did from his because we have entered into this rest. Both the rest mention and the the ceasing from our own works is in the past tense. Couple that with the fact the this ceasing from work AS GOD DID from His is a direct comparison to the ceasing from work God did.

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a Sabbath keeping to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

We only have one recorded instance where God ceased from work. And that is in Gen 2:1,2.
Here in Hebrews it is reiterated. Please notice two things mentioned; a rest which we enter and the Seventh Day Sabbath which God did rest, cease from all His works. Also notice that in verse 5 it says, " in this again".

In this again what?

He speaks of the seventh Day if they shall enter into His rest. That is what the verses says. Keep in mind that in verse 3 the entering into rest is in the present tense. In other words we that have entered into his rest. He speaks again of the Seventh Day. A Sabbath keeping remaineth. He that entered into his rest cease from his own works as God did from His on the Seventh Day.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest (cease) the seventh day from all his works.

Heb 4:5 And in this again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What @imge posted earlier was true. Remembering that Gods people met together and worshiped God every day of the week according to Acts of the Apostles 2:46-47, no one in this thread has posted any scripture showing Sunday is now a holy day or a day that is different from any other day of the week.
Well, that isn't what the poster was attempting to show there...or what my post explained in reply.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello Albion, well I only provided what the bible says showing that God's people met together everyday and Sunday was simply one of those days. It does not make every day a holy day. Acts of the Apostles 2:46-47. What was your meaning in regards to what @imge posted earlier. Sorry you lost me here as I thought I was responding appropriately.
Hello, LGW. I didn't mean to sound abrupt there, but just to note that there was a mistake somewhere in understanding two different posts. To go into all of that would have made for a much longer post. But here are some of those points:

It doesn't matter to the discussion whether someone calls Sunday "holy" or not. To stake your argument on whether the word applies does nothing but evade the real issue. And second, Sunday was indeed singled out, as the New Testament indicates; it's not that every day was considered to be the same.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi Albion, I did not think you were being rude at all. I just was not sure what you meant in your post hence only asking for clarification. I think others here were claiming Sunday was a holy day.
Yes, it's been said repeatedly, but by the defenders of Saturday not the supporters of Sunday worship.

Hence a request for supporting scripture and the scriptures shown that God's people worshiped God everyday not making any other day different to Sunday.
Well, I also would like to see anything that says Sunday was not considered to be any different from all the other days, especially in view of Acts 20:7.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually no. It has been said by those supporting Sunday worship that Sunday is a holy day. That is where it all started.
I'd have to see that since it's not as I recall. In this discussion, there has been quite a lot of paraphrasing of things written by other people, so if you can point me to the first use, that would be helpful.

I posted you scripture earlier I think from Acts of the Apostles 2:46-47 showing that the disciples met together breaking bread every day. Acts of the Apostles 20 does not say Sunday is any different from any other day. The reason they were meeting together for a meal was that Paul was departing the next day. So there is nothing special in that scripture and I wonder why people bother posting it to be honest.

It's already been noted by another poster that there is nothing special about observing the Lord's Supper on some other day of the week, but this wouldn't make Sunday worship "just another day."

The reason for the observance was and is, of course, because this is the day of Christ's Resurrection.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually no. It has been said by those supporting Sunday worship that Sunday is a holy day. That is where it all started and the request for scripture to prove these claims.

I'd have to see that since it's not as I recall. In this discussion, there has been quite a lot of paraphrasing of things written by other people, so if you can point me to the first use, that would be helpful.

Well I have been following the thread from the beginning and know what has been said and not said. Sorry if your not following the conversations I cannot help you.

Then you can consider your bluff as having been called. ;)

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Then you can consider your bluff as having been called. ;)
I did not provide any bluff. I have only posted scripture showing that the Sabbath is "the Lords day" and that there is no scripture that says Sunday of the "first day of the week" is "the Lords day" according to the scriptures.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian