Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
from the OP

Rev 1:10 is a great place to not find "The Lord's Day is week-day-1"

I scanned your link for "is week day 1" it was not there.
I scanned your link for "is Sunday" and it was there - but not from a Bible quote.

So the question remains.-- does anyone have a Bible text saying that week-day-1 is the Lord's Day??

==================

BTW you have already stated that you have several sources and are not limited to scripture - you could always just say that this is not something for which you have a scripture and instead you use one of your other sources.
Yes, we do. Because the Word of God is not simply written.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, they say that the Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath. The First day of the Week, when the empty tomb was found, is Traditionally Sunday. Also, Revelation 1 shows worship on the Lord's Day, again, the first day of the week.
Soo, as posted earlier, you have no scripture that supports this tradition right? You do know that Historically since the days of JESUS and the Apostles God's people have kept the Sabbath unbroken to this very present day right?
Look, you want to believe that the Bible is the only place to tell us when we should worship, fine. I believe that we worship Him every day, and Sunday we praise the Lord for his sacrifice for us.
Hmm no sir. It has never been about not worshiping God everyday of the week as the scriptures teach we should do so. It has always been about sin *1 JOHN 3:4 and breaking anyone of God's commandments *JAMES 2:10-11. There is only one day of the week that God has "blessed" and set apart from all the other days of the week as a "holy day of rest" *GENESIS 2:1-3 where no work is to be done and where God commands His people to keep the "seventh day" as a Holy day or rest as a memorial of creation and celebration of God as the creator of heaven and earth *EXODUS 20:8-11.

As shown in this thread and elsewhere there is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday or the first day of the week as a Holy day. This is a tradition and teaching of men that has lead many unknowingly to break God's 4th commandment. Jesus warns us that we do not worship him if we follow man-made traditions and teachings that break Gods' commandments in MATTHEW 15:3-9. Sunday worship in place of God's 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that is not biblical according to the scriptures.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are aware that the Church tells us what is Scripture? That's Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium, telling us authoritatively what is Scripture, and what is not.
It depends what you define is "the Church". The church defined in the scriptures is not the Roman Catholic Church.
By the way, all our Sacred Traditions are Biblically based.
Actually nope they are not. There is no scripture that says Gods' 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day. This is only one of many but a big one according to the scriptures.

May God bless you as you seek him through His Word.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Soo, as posted earlier, you have no scripture that supports this tradition right? You do know that Historically since the days of JESUS and the Apostles God's people have kept the Sabbath unbroken to this very present day right?
If you want to say that Revelation and the gospels aren't Scripture, be my guest. And, as I've explained, the defacto day of worshiping God in the synagogue or Temple would have been the day of rest mandated by God.
Hmm no sir. It has never been about not worshiping God everyday of the week as the scriptures teach we should do so. It has always been about sin *1 JOHN 3:4 and breaking anyone of God's commandments *JAMES 2:10-11. There is only one day of the week that God has "blessed" and set apart from all the other days of the week as a "holy day of rest" *GENESIS 2:1-3 where no work is to be done and where God commands His people to keep the "seventh day" as a Holy day or rest as a memorial of creation and celebration of God as the creator of heaven and earth *EXODUS 20:8-11.
What do you think it means to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" means? Worship every day. God blessed every day in the first book of Genesis, in the Creation account.
As shown in this thread and elsewhere there is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday or the first day of the week as a Holy day. This is a tradition and teaching of men that has lead many unknowingly to break God's 4th commandment. Jesus warns us that we do not worship him if we follow man-made traditions and teachings that break Gods' commandments in MATTHEW 15:3-9. Sunday worship in place of God's 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that is not biblical according to the scriptures.
You know it is not scripture that the commandments are numbered the way you number them, right? Nobody has abolished any commandment. You keep repeating as if they have, but you're wrong. You're right that Jesus warns us about man-made traditions, but what about God-made Traditions? We do not worship on Sunday IN PLACE of the commandment to worship God.
May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.
And with your spirit.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It depends what you define is "the Church". The church defined in the scriptures is not the Roman Catholic Church.
The Church, defined in Scripture is universal. Only one Church. 'Catholic' means universal. I have not said anything about the Roman diocese of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you want to say that Revelation and the gospels aren't Scripture, be my guest.
I have only posted that all of God's Word including Revelation and the gospels are scripture. If I have never posted that Revelation and the Gospels aren't scripture why do you pretend that I have? Your challenge in this OP is to provide a single scripture that proves that "the Lords day" in REVELATION 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week. Let's be honest. You or anyone else here have not been able to provide a single scripture showing that Sunday is "the Lords day" have you? Yet through the scriptures alone Gods' Word (not mine) says that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28.
And, as I've explained, the defacto day of worshiping God in the synagogue or Temple would have been the day of rest mandated by God.
Sorry Jesse I am not sure what your talking about here. I am asking for scripture that proves that Sunday is "the Lords day". You have no scripture do you. For me according to the scriptures, only Gods' Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should believe and follow it *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 5:29 and you or your friends have not provided any.
What do you think it means to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" means?
Loving God with all your heart is the first great commandment and one of the two great commandments spoken of by JESUS who is quoting old testament scripture found in DEUTERONOMY 6:5 and LEVITICUS 19:18 in MATTHEW 22:36-40 in which JESUS states hangs all the law and the prophets including God's 4th commandment which is one of Gods' 10 Commandments. Love is expressed through obedience to God's law through a new heart to love *ROMANS 13:8-10 and is God's new covenant promise in all those who are born again to believe *HEBREWS 8:10-12. No one expresses love to God by breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments *JOHN 14:15. If we are not born again to love we cannot see God's kingdom *JOHN 3:3-7; 1 JOHN 3:4-9.
God blessed every day in the first book of Genesis, in the Creation account.
Nope. God did not bless every day of the week in the book of GENESIS. God only blessed the "seventh day" of the creation week, where he set the "seventh day" of the week apart from all the other days of the week and made the "seventh day" of the week a "Holy day of rest" and commands us to keep the "seventh day" of the week as a "holy day or rest" and a memorial of creation and a celebration of God as the creator and heaven and earth. You may find these scriptures in GENESIS 2:1-3 and EXODUS 20:8-11. Now where are your scriptures?
Nobody has abolished any commandment.
Sure they have. This is a tradition and teaching handed down from the Roman Catholic Church. If you believe no one has abolished God's 4th commandment then there is no excuse not to keep God's 4th commandment just like everyone of God's commandments. The scriptures teach if we break anyone of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin and breaking all of them all in JAMES 2:8-12; 1 JOHN 3:4.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Church, defined in Scripture is universal. Only one Church. 'Catholic' means universal. I have not said anything about the Roman diocese of the Catholic Church.
Nope, that is not what the scriptures definition of who Gods Church is. This may be a great topic for discussion though, but this OP is a challenge to provide scripture proving that "Sunday or the first day of the week" is "the Lords day" as shown in REVELATION 1:10 and so far not a single scripture has been provided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is also no Scripture that tells us to worship God on Saturday. It simply says the Sabbath is a day of rest, in honor of God's rest.
God's time is evening to evening or sunset to sunset (night and the day making up a full day *GENESIS 1). According to the scriptures Gods' 4th commandment is the seventh day of the week *GENESIS 2:1-3; EXODUS 20:10. There is no Saturday or Sunday naming of the days of the week in the bible. These names are ROMAN pagan naming of the days of the week based on ROMAN pagan gods. Sunday is in honor of the pagan sun god. The biblical week names in the scriptures are simply day 1, day 2, day 3, day 4, day 5, preparation day before the sabbath (day 6) and Sabbath (day 7). God's Sabbath according to the scriptures is the "seventh day" of the week which is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset our time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have only posted that all of God's Word including Revelation and the gospels are scripture. If I have never posted that Revelation and the Gospels aren't scripture why do you pretend that I have? Your challenge in this OP is to provide a single scripture that proves that "the Lords day" in REVELATION 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week. Let's be honest. You or anyone else here have not been able to provide a single scripture showing that Sunday is "the Lords day" have you? Yet through the scriptures alone Gods' Word (not mine) says that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28.
What you said is "So you have no scripture that supports..." after I posted. We know from the apostles and their followers that the Lord's Day was Sunday. So Scripture does support what we believe. My point is that I've provided it, but you say I haven't, so either it isn't scripture or you just don't believe what we believe.
Sorry Jesse I am not sure what your talking about here. I am asking for scripture that proves that Sunday is "the Lords day". You have no scripture do you. For me according to the scriptures, only Gods' Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should believe and follow it *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 5:29 and you or your friends have not provided any.
For me, there is more to God's Word than Scripture. If you want to define God's Word differently, that's fine.
One of the two great commandments spoken of by JESUS who is quoting old testament scripture found in DEUTERONOMY 6:5 and LEVITICUS 19:18 in MATTHEW 22:36-40 in which JESUS states hangs all the law and the prophets including God's 4th commandment which is one of Gods' 10 Commandments. Love is expressed through obedience to God's law through a new heart to love *ROMANS 13:8-10 and is God's new covenant promise in all those who are born again to believe *HEBREWS 8:10-12. No one expresses love to God by breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments *JOHN 14:15. If we are not born again to love we cannot see God's kingdom *JOHN 3:3-7; 1 JOHN 3:4-9.
The Pharisees obeyed God's Law and yet they had not the love. You have yet to show where anyone has broken God's law by worshiping on Sunday.
Nope. God did not bless every day of the week in the book of GENESIS. God only blessed the "seventh day" of the creation week, where he set the "seventh day" of the week apart from all that other days of the week and made the "seventh day" of the week a "Holy day of rest" and commands us to keep the "seventh day" of the week as a "holy day or rest" and a memorial of creation and a celebration of God as the creator and heaven and earth. You may find these scriptures in GENESIS 2:1-3 and EXODUS 20:8-11
I guess you don't believe that, when God declares something 'good', that he has blessed it. He set the Sabbath as a holy day of rest and a memorial of creation. But what I said is right.
Sure they have. This is a tradition and teaching handed down from the Roman Catholic Church. If you believe no one has abolished God's 4th commandment then there is no excuse not to keep God's 4th commandment just like everyone of God's commandments. The scriptures teach if we break anyone of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin and breaking all of them all in JAMES 2:8-12; 1 JOHN 3:4.
Show me where we have abolished any part of God's law? Where have we said "The Sabbath is no longer necessary." or something like that? You are right that it is a Tradition (capital T) because we worship the Lord on the day he rose from the grave. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't honor God by resting on the Sabbath. That many people just treat Saturday as a regular day in no way suggests that Christianity has changed anything. We do not break God's commandment by worshiping His Son on Sunday. The truth is, we honor Christ's sacrifice every day, including Saturday, the Sabbath.
Hope this is helpful.
Well as I see it, you think we're blasphemers and we know better. So I don't know if it's helpful. My feeling is that you can worship God as you see fit, and I will, too. And since God is merciful, we're probably both ok that we worship God.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What you said is "So you have no scripture that supports..." after I posted. We know from the apostles and their followers that the Lord's Day was Sunday. So Scripture does support what we believe. My point is that I've provided it, but you say I haven't, so either it isn't scripture or you just don't believe what we believe.
The apostles and their followers according to the scriptures kept Gods' God's 4th commandment Sabbath according to the scriptures as have God's people all through time to this very present day. Your challenge in this OP is to provide a single scripture that proves that "the Lords day" in REVELATION 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week. Let's be honest. You or anyone else here have not been able to provide a single scripture showing that Sunday is "the Lords day" have you? Yet through the scriptures alone Gods' Word (not mine) says that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28.
For me, there is more to God's Word than Scripture. If you want to define God's Word differently, that's fine.
Jesse, Scripture is God's Word *2 TIMOTHY 3:16 which defines God's will and His truth *JOHN 17:17. The OP is asking for scripture that proves that Sunday is "the Lords day". You have not provided any. For me according to the scriptures, only Gods' Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should believe and follow it *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 5:29 and you or your friends have not provided any that proves that "the Lords day" is Sunday.
The Pharisees obeyed God's Law and yet they had not the love.
True that is why JESUS taught we must be born again *JOHN 3:3-7 and made clean from the inside out *MATTHEW 5. Whosoever is born of God does not practice sin *1 JOHN 3:6-9. Sin is defines here as breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11. God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that defines what sin is when it is broken *ROMANS 7:7.
You have yet to show where anyone has broken God's law by worshiping on Sunday.
We do not break God's 4th commandment by worshiping God on any day of the week. According to the scriptures we break God's 4th commandment by working on the Sabbath which the scriptures define as the "seventh day" of the week. (see EXODUS 20:8-11) As posted earlier, Love is expressed through obedience to God's law through a new heart to love *ROMANS 13:8-10 and is God's new covenant promise in all those who are born again to believe *HEBREWS 8:10-12. No one expresses love to God by breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments *JOHN 14:15. If we are not born again to love we cannot see God's kingdom *JOHN 3:3-7; 1 JOHN 3:4-9.
I guess you don't believe that, when God declares something 'good', that he has blessed it.
Correct dear friend I do not believe that God saying something is good in GENESIS 1 is the same as God blessing the seventh day of creation but let me prove why. The Hebrew words used in GENESIS for good and bless or blessed have different meanings. For example the Hebrew word translated as "good" is טוב; ṭôb (H2896)

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H2896
Good; טוב; ṭôb From H2895; good (as an adjective) in the widest sense; used likewise as a noun, both in the masculine and the feminine, the singular and the plural (good, a good or good thing, a good man or woman; the good, goods or good things, good men or women), also as an adverb (well): - beautiful, best, better, bountiful, cheerful, at ease, X fair (word), (be in) favour, fine, glad, good (deed, -lier, liest, -ly, -ness, -s), graciously, joyful, kindly, kindness, liketh (best), loving, merry, X most, pleasant, + pleaseth, pleasure, precious, prosperity, ready, sweet, wealth, welfare, (be) well ([-favoured]).

As shown above the Hebrew word for "good" does not mean to bless while the Hebrew word for "bless" is בּרך; bârak (H1288)

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H1288
Bless or blessed; בּרך; bârak; A primitive root; to kneel ; by implication to bless God (as an act of adoration), and (vice-versa) man (as a benefit); also (by euphemism) to curse (God or the king, as treason): - X abundantly, X altogether, X at all, blaspheme, bless, congratulate, curse, X greatly, X indeed, kneel (down), praise, salute, X still, thank.

So no God's Word does not teach anywhere that God blessed everyday. God's Word only teaches that God "blessed" the "seventh day" at creation in GENESIS.

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
[2], And on the SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY, and SANCTIFIED IT: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Show me where we have abolished any part of God's law? Where have we said "The Sabbath is no longer necessary." or something like that?
Here you go...
We do not break God's commandment by worshiping His Son on Sunday. The truth is, we honor Christ's sacrifice every day, including Saturday, the Sabbath.
As posted earlier the conversation has never been about worshiping God everyday. It has never been about not worshiping God everyday of the week as the scriptures teach we should do so. It has always been about sin *1 JOHN 3:4 and breaking anyone of God's commandments *JAMES 2:10-11. There is only one day of the week that God has "blessed" and set apart from all the other days of the week as a "holy day of rest" *GENESIS 2:1-3 where no work is to be done and where God commands His people to keep the "seventh day" as a Holy day or rest as a memorial of creation and celebration of God as the creator of heaven and earth *EXODUS 20:8-11.
Well as I see it, you think we're blasphemers and we know better. So I don't know if it's helpful. My feeling is that you can worship God as you see fit, and I will, too. And since God is merciful, we're probably both ok that we worship God.
According to the scriptures God is merciful to all those who love him and keep His commandments not those who do not love him and break them *EXODUS 20:6; JOHN 14:15 JOHN 15:10

blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok, to all...

Well it is pretty clear I guess by now that there is no scripture that links "the Lords day" to REVELATION 1:10 or else it would have been posted already.

God's people all through time to JESUS and the Apostles and disciples even after the death of JESUS all kept God's 4th commandment as a Holy day of rest unbroken to this present day. I would now like to show this in the coming posts. As I get some time I will look to show how God's people have always kept God's 4th commandment all through time.

God bless

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's look at the evidence and start with JESUS and the Apostles...

Sabbath Observance Through The Centuries - The First Century A.D.

INSTITUTION OF THE SABBATH
"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." (Genesis 2:1-3 )

JESUS
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read." (Luke 4:16)

JESUS
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:16,17)

JESUS
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." (Matthew 24, 20).
NOTE: Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D. 40 years after the Jesus' crucfixion and we see here that Jesus fully expected His church to be observing His true seventh day Sabbath that He Himself proclaimed to be the Lord of.

JESUS' FOLLOWERS
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." (Luke 23:56.) Did these women make a mistake and keep the wrong sabbath or was it that Christ NEVER EVER hinted that there would be a change forthcoming???

PAUL
"And Paul, as his manner was went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures" (Acts 17:2) Did Christ fail to inform Paul on the road to Damascus that there's now a new sabbath? Or rather does the silence of Christ speak volumes against the papal sabbath???

PAUL AND THE GENTILES
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. And the next Sabbath came almost the whole city together to hear the Word of God." Acts 13:42, 44.

Here we find Gentiles in a Gentile city gathering on the Sabbath. It was not a synagogue meeting in verse 44, for it says almost the whole city came together, verse 42 says they asked to hear the message the "next Sabbath."

And get this: The Bible does not say it is the "old Jewish Sabbath that was passed away," but the Spirit of God, writing the Book of Acts some 30 years after the crucifixion, calls it "the next Sabbath."

JOHN
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev.1:10 (Matthew 12:6; Mark 2:28, Isa.58:13, Ex.20:10, Clearly show the Sabbath to be the Lord's day).
The term "Lord's day" in reference to sunday came later. The Biblical meaning for Lord's day is the day that God calls "My holy day" and the day that Jesus said He is Lord of.

JOSEPHUS
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

PHILO
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

So we have incontrovertible proof that the observance of sunday was NOT practiced by the apostolic church of the first century. Although the poison of apostasy had already begun, it did not reach the ascendancy until the passage of a few more centuries.

The next installment will show the historical record of the early christians observing the true seventh day Sabbath in the second century A.D.

-----------------------------------------------

Sabbath Observance Through The Centuries - The Second Century A.D.

EARLY CHRISTIANS - 2nd Century
"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

"...The Sabbath was a strong tie which united them with the life of the whole people, and in keeping the Sabbath holy they followed not only the example but also the command of Jesus." "Geschichte des Sonntags," pp.13, 14

"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93.

"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

"It is certain that the ancient Sabbath did remain and was observed (together with the celebration of the Lord's day) by the Christians of the East Church, above three hundred years after our Saviour's death." "A Learned Treatise of the Sabbath," p. 77

Note: By the "Lord's day" here the writer means Sunday and not the true Sabbath," which the Bible says is the Sabbath. This quotation shows Sunday coming into use in the early centuries soon after the death of the Apostles. It illustrates the apostasy that Paul the Apostle foretold of when he spoke about a great "falling away" from the Truth that would take place soon after his death.

"From the apostles' time until the council of Laodicea, which was about the year 364, the holy observance of the Jews' Sabbath continued, as may be proved out of many authors: yea, notwithstanding the decree of the council against it." "Sunday a Sabbath." John Ley, p.163. London: 1640.

to be continued....

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath Observance Through The Centuries - The Third Century A.D.

EGYPT (OXYRHYNCHUS PAPYRUS) (200-250 A.D.)
"Except ye make the sabbath a real sabbath (sabbatize the Sabbath," Greek), ye shall not see the Father." "The oxyrhynchus Papyri," pt,1, p.3, Logion 2, verso 4-11 (London Offices of the Egypt Exploration Fund, 1898).

EARLY CHRISTIANS-C 3rd
"Thou shalt observe the Sabbath, on account of Him who ceased from His work of creation, but ceased not from His work of providence: it is a rest for meditation of the law, not for idleness of the hands." "The Anti-Nicene Fathers," Vol 7,p. 413. From "Constitutions of the Holy Apostles," a document of the 3rd and 4th Centuries.

AFRICA (ALEXANDRIA) ORIGEN
"After the festival of the unceasing sacrifice (the crucifixion) is put the second festival of the Sabbath, and it is fitting for whoever is righteous among the saints to keep also the festival of the Sabbath. There remaineth therefore a sabbatismus, that is, a keeping of the Sabbath, to the people of God (Hebrews 4:9)." "Homily on Numbers 23," par.4, in Migne, "Patrologia Graeca," Vol. 12,cols. 749, 750.

PALESTINE TO INDIA (CHURCH OF THE EAST)
As early as A.D. 225 there existed large bishoprics or conferences of the Church of the East (Sabbath-keeping) stretching from Palestine to India. Mingana, "Early Spread of Christianity." Vol.10, p. 460.

INDIA (BUDDHIST CONTROVERSY), 220 A.D.)
The Kushan Dynasty of North India called a famous council of Buddhist priests at Vaisalia to bring uniformity among the Buddhist monks on the observance of their weekly Sabbath. Some had been so impressed by the writings of the Old Testament that they had begun to keep holy the Sabbath. Lloyd, "The Creed of Half Japan," p. 23.

EARLY CHRISTIANS
"The seventh-day Sabbath was...solemnised by Christ, the Apostles, and primitive Christians, till the Laodicean Council did in manner quite abolish the observations of it." "Dissertation on the Lord's Day," pp. 33, 34

to be continued....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟235,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's day is naturally Sunday as God allows all covenants to be abide by or observed. Thus the Jewish Christians can observe the Sabbath on Saturday as Jews, and attend Sunday services as Christians.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The apostles and their followers according to the scriptures kept Gods' God's 4th commandment Sabbath according to the scriptures as have God's people all through time to this very present day. Your challenge in this OP is to provide a single scripture that proves that "the Lords day" in REVELATION 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week. Let's be honest. You or anyone else here have not been able to provide a single scripture showing that Sunday is "the Lords day" have you? Yet through the scriptures alone Gods' Word (not mine) says that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28.
They probably did keep the Sabbath. AND worshiped the Lord on the day he rose from the tomb.
Jesse, Scripture is God's Word *2 TIMOTHY 3:16 which defines God's will and His truth *JOHN 17:17. The OP is asking for scripture that proves that Sunday is "the Lords day". You have not provided any. For me according to the scriptures, only Gods' Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should believe and follow it *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 5:29 and you or your friends have not provided any that proves that "the Lords day" is Sunday.
Of course, Scripture is God's Word. But Scripture isn't the only Word of God. I have proven from Scripture that Sunday is the Lord's Day. What the OP seems to be trying to create is a false dichotomy between keeping the Sabbath and worshipping Jesus. We've done no such thing. I will certainly agree that most Christians do not keep the Sabbath (Saturday), but that's a different question.
True that is why JESUS taught we must be born again *JOHN 3:3-7 and made clean from the inside out *MATTHEW 5. Whosoever is born of God does not practice sin *1 JOHN 3:6-9. Sin is defines here as breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11. God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that defines what sin is when it is broken *ROMANS 7:7.
You cannot show me where worshiping Jesus on Sunday does anything to break the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy.
We do not break God's 4th commandment by worshiping God on any day of the week. According to the scriptures we break God's 4th commandment by working on the Sabbath which the scriptures define as the "seventh day" of the week. (see EXODUS 20:8-11) As posted earlier, Love is expressed through obedience to God's law through a new heart to love *ROMANS 13:8-10 and is God's new covenant promise in all those who are born again to believe *HEBREWS 8:10-12. No one expresses love to God by breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments *JOHN 14:15. If we are not born again to love we cannot see God's kingdom *JOHN 3:3-7; 1 JOHN 3:4-9.
I agree that doing servile work on Saturday breaks the commandment (I refuse to call it the fourth, because it is not-there's no numbers in Exodus 20...) Worshiping Jesus on Sunday does not break the commandment.
Correct dear friend I do not believe that God saying something is good in GENESIS 1 is the same as God blessing the seventh day of creation but let me prove why. The Hebrew words used in GENESIS for good and bless or blessed have different meanings. For example the Hebrew word translated as "good" is טוב; ṭôb (H2896)

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H2896
Good; טוב; ṭôb From H2895; good (as an adjective) in the widest sense; used likewise as a noun, both in the masculine and the feminine, the singular and the plural (good, a good or good thing, a good man or woman; the good, goods or good things, good men or women), also as an adverb (well): - beautiful, best, better, bountiful, cheerful, at ease, X fair (word), (be in) favour, fine, glad, good (deed, -lier, liest, -ly, -ness, -s), graciously, joyful, kindly, kindness, liketh (best), loving, merry, X most, pleasant, + pleaseth, pleasure, precious, prosperity, ready, sweet, wealth, welfare, (be) well ([-favoured]).

As shown above the Hebrew word for "good" does not mean to bless while the Hebrew word for "bless" is בּרך; bârak (H1288)

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - H1288
Bless or blessed; בּרך; bârak; A primitive root; to kneel ; by implication to bless God (as an act of adoration), and (vice-versa) man (as a benefit); also (by euphemism) to curse (God or the king, as treason): - X abundantly, X altogether, X at all, blaspheme, bless, congratulate, curse, X greatly, X indeed, kneel (down), praise, salute, X still, thank.

So no God's Word does not teach anywhere that God blessed everyday. God's Word only teaches that God "blessed" the "seventh day" at creation in GENESIS.

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
[2], And on the SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY, and SANCTIFIED IT: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Here you go...
I think it's funny that you think that God's declaring everything He created as good doesn't mean anything special. What I believe, and my Church teaches, is that everything is good, and the Sabbath is set aside, consecrated to God. See, you make such distinctions so you can say that Mary wasn't really most blessed among all women. What it really is, is everything God created is good, and holy, but one day is the holiest.
As posted earlier the conversation has never been about worshiping God everyday. It has never been about not worshiping God everyday of the week as the scriptures teach we should do so. It has always been about sin *1 JOHN 3:4 and breaking anyone of God's commandments *JAMES 2:10-11. There is only one day of the week that God has "blessed" and set apart from all the other days of the week as a "holy day of rest" *GENESIS 2:1-3 where no work is to be done and where God commands His people to keep the "seventh day" as a Holy day or rest as a memorial of creation and celebration of God as the creator of heaven and earth *EXODUS 20:8-11.
That's fine, but you're saying, too, that worshiping God on Sunday is a sin, and it's not. Breaking the Sabbath is a different entity.
According to the scriptures God is merciful to all those who love him and keep His commandments not those who do not love him and break them *EXODUS 20:6; JOHN 14:15 JOHN 15:10

blessings.
Again, you have not shown how worshiping Jesus on Sunday is sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The expression "the Lord's day" is found only once in the Bible. In Revelation 1:10 John relates the beginning of his visionary experience to being in the Spirit "on the Lord's Day." The phrase seems to have become more common in the second century a.d., where it is found in such early Christian writings as Ignatius's Epistle to the Magnesians 9:1 (c. a.d. 108), the Didache 14:1 (c. a.d. 100-125), and the Gospel of Peter 9:35; 12:50 (c. a.d. 125-50).

The presence of the adjective kuriakos [kuriakov"] makes the expression grammatically different from the common biblical phrase "the Day of the Lord, " which uses the genitive form of the noun kurios [kuvrio"]. The adjective is found only one other time in the New Testament, in 1 Corinthians 11:20, where Paul speaks of "the Lord's Supper." Non-Christian parallels suggest that the adjective was used with reference to that which belonged to the Roman emperor; early Christians seem to have used it, perhaps in conscious protest, to refer to that which belonged to Jesus.

The particular "day" that belonged to Jesus seems to have been Sunday, or, by Jewish reckoning, Saturday sundown until Sunday sundown. According to the Gospels, Jesus was raised from the dead on "the first day of the week" ( Matt 28:1 ; Mark 16:2 ; Luke 24:1 ; John 20:1 ), that is, Sunday. New Testament evidence suggests that by the 50s, if not earlier, Christians were attaching special significance to Sunday. In 1 Corinthians 16:1-3 Paul exhorts the church at Corinth to set aside a sum of money "on the first day of every week" for the church at Jerusalem, as the Galatian churches were already doing. Similarly, Luke notes that when Paul arrived at Troas near the end of his third missionary journey, the church gathered together to break bread "on the first day of the week" ( Acts 20:6-7 ). Although the identification is not made explicit, there is therefore good reason to believe that John has Sunday in mind when he mentions "the Lord's Day" in Revelation 1:10. Certainly the second-century Gospel of Peter, which twice speaks of the day of Jesus' resurrection as "the Lord's Day" (9:35; 12:50), makes the connection. Similarly, the Epistle of Barnabas (c. a.d. 130) notes that Christians celebrate Jesus' resurrection of "the eighth day" (15:9; cf. John 20:26 ), or Sunday, which is the day after the seventh day — that is, the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday). Justin Martyr affirms that Jesus was raised on "the day of the Sun" (Apology 67).

How quickly the Lord's Day emerged as a specific day of worship for the early church is not clear. Luke observes that in the period immediately following the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost the earliest Christians met "every day" in the temple courts. Whether their breaking of bread in their homes was a daily or weekly occurrence he does not specify, but the former seems more likely ( Acts 2:46 ). Alternately, Paul's comments to the Corinthians concerning the laying aside of money on the first day of the week do not indicate whether this action was connected with a formal gathering of the church ( 1 Cor 16:13 ). Luke's description of the meeting of believers at Troas is the first clear indication of a special gathering as taking place in the evening, by which he probably means Sunday, using Roman reckoning from midnight to midnight, rather than the Jewish system. By the second century the Lord's Day was clearly set apart as a special day for worship. In a letter to the emperor Trajan (c. a.d. 112), the Roman governor Pliny the Younger notes that Christians assembled before daylight "on an appointed day" (Epistle 10:96), undoubtedly Sunday. The Didache specifically exhorts believers to come together on the Lord's Day (14:1), and the Epistle of Barnabas sees it as a special day of celebration (15:9). Indeed, Justin Martyr (c. a.d. 150) gives a detailed account of typical Sunday worship (Apology 67).

A clear picture of how the early Christians celebrated the Lord's Day emerges only gradually. Luke records that the Christians at Troas came together to break bread, which may well denote a meal that included the Lord's Supper (cf. Acts 2:42 ; 1 Cor 11:20-22 ). That Paul spoke (at great length!) to the assembled believers ( Acts 20:7-11 ) implies nothing about their typical practice, since Paul was a special guest and intended to leave the next day. The Didache makes explicit the connection between the breaking of bread and the Lord's Supper on the Lord's Day but says little else concerning the meeting, apart from mentioning the practice of confession of sin (14:1). Pliny mentions two meetings on the "appointed day": the Christians first meet before dawn to sing a hymn to Christ "as to a god" and to affirm certain ethical commitments; then they depart and reassemble for a meal. Not being a Christian himself, Pliny would not have understood the significance of the meal as a setting for the Lord's Supper; for him it was enough that the meal consisted "of ordinary, innocent food" (Epistle 10:96).

The most extensive account of an early Christian Sunday worship service is provided by Justin Martyr (Apology 67, cf. 65). According to Justin, the gathering begins with readings from "the memoirs of the apostles" the Gospels or the writings of the prophets for "as long as time permits." The "president" then delivers a sermon consisting of instruction and exhortation. Next, the congregation rises for prayer, following which the bread and wine are brought in for the Lord's Supper. After prayers and thanksgivings by the president and a congregational "Amen, " the deacons distribute the bread and wine to those who are present (and then carry some to those who are absent). There follows a collection of "what each thinks fit" for the needy, and, apparently, the end of the service.

Noteworthy in these early texts is the lack of identification of Sunday with the Jewish Sabbath. Luke has little to say about early Christian observance of the Sabbath, apart from recording Paul's preaching on the Sabbath in Jewish synagogues ( Acts 13:14 Acts 13:42 Acts 13:44 ; 17:2 ; 18:4 ; 16:13 ), which perhaps says less about Paul's commitment to Sabbath observance than about his missionary strategy. Indeed, Paul has little interest in observing special days as sacred ( Rom 14:5-6 ; Gal 4:9-11 ; Col 2:16 ). Ignatius contrasts observance of the Sabbath with living for the Lord's Day (Magnesians 9:1). The Epistle of Barnabas views the significance of the biblical Sabbath as being a symbol of the future rest established at the return of Jesus (15:1-8; cf. Heb 4:3-11 ). Justin Martyr speaks of the Sabbath in terms of a perpetual turning from sin (Dialogue with Trypho 12). In 321 Constantine proclaimed Sunday to be official day of rest in the Roman Empire (Codex Justinianus 3.12.3), but this does not seem to have been related to any concern with the Jewish Sabbath. By the end of the fourth century, church leaders such as Ambrose and John Chrysostom were making such a connection, defending relaxation from work on Sunday on the basis of the Fourth Commandment and paving the way for later Catholic and Protestant elaboration on Sunday as the Sabbath.

In the early church, then, the Christians began to give a special place to Sunday as the day on which Jesus was raised from the dead. It soon became a fixed day for worship, a celebration of the resurrection centered around the Lord's Supper. As Christianity distanced itself from Judaism, it is not surprising that eventually the church would see its special day in terms of the special day of the Jews, the Sabbath, and would transfer the provisions of the Fourth Commandment to Sunday.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's look at the evidence and start with JESUS and the Apostles...

Sabbath Observance Through The Centuries - The First Century A.D.

INSTITUTION OF THE SABBATH
"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." (Genesis 2:1-3 )

JESUS
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read." (Luke 4:16)

JESUS
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:16,17)

JESUS
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." (Matthew 24, 20).
NOTE: Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D. 40 years after the Jesus' crucfixion and we see here that Jesus fully expected His church to be observing His true seventh day Sabbath that He Himself proclaimed to be the Lord of.

JESUS' FOLLOWERS
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." (Luke 23:56.) Did these women make a mistake and keep the wrong sabbath or was it that Christ NEVER EVER hinted that there would be a change forthcoming???

PAUL
"And Paul, as his manner was went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures" (Acts 17:2) Did Christ fail to inform Paul on the road to Damascus that there's now a new sabbath? Or rather does the silence of Christ speak volumes against the papal sabbath???
Paul spoke to the Jews and Gentiles on the Sabbath because that's when they gathered. Had he gone on Sunday, the synagogue would be empty.
PAUL AND THE GENTILES
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. And the next Sabbath came almost the whole city together to hear the Word of God." Acts 13:42, 44.
Here we find Gentiles in a Gentile city gathering on the Sabbath. It was not a synagogue meeting in verse 44, for it says almost the whole city came together, verse 42 says they asked to hear the message the "next Sabbath."

And get this: The Bible does not say it is the "old Jewish Sabbath that was passed away," but the Spirit of God, writing the Book of Acts some 30 years after the crucifixion, calls it "the next Sabbath."
The Jews and converts would meet on the Sabbath, and that's when Paul would speak to them en masse.
JOHN
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev.1:10 (Matthew 12:6; Mark 2:28, Isa.58:13, Ex.20:10, Clearly show the Sabbath to be the Lord's day).
The term "Lord's day" in reference to sunday came later. The Biblical meaning for Lord's day is the day that God calls "My holy day" and the day that Jesus said He is Lord of.
This is no proof. John had disciples-they knew what day he was referring to.
JOSEPHUS
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

PHILO
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

So we have incontrovertible proof that the observance of sunday was NOT practiced by the apostolic church of the first century. Although the poison of apostasy had already begun, it did not reach the ascendancy until the passage of a few more centuries.

The next installment will show the historical record of the early christians observing the true seventh day Sabbath in the second century A.D.
What we have is evidence that they still practiced their old ways. They also worshiped the Lord on the day he rose from the grave.

Sabbath Observance Through The Centuries - The Second Century A.D.

"The primitive Christians had a great veneration for the Sabbath, and spent the day in devotion and sermons. And it is not to be doubted but they derived this practice from the Apostles themselves, as appears by several scriptures to the purpose." "Dialogues on the Lord's Day," p. 189. London: 1701, By Dr. T.H. Morer (A Church of England divine).

"...The Sabbath was a strong tie which united them with the life of the whole people, and in keeping the Sabbath holy they followed not only the example but also the command of Jesus." "Geschichte des Sonntags," pp.13, 14

"The Gentile Christians observed also the Sabbath," Gieseler's "Church History," Vol.1, ch. 2, par. 30, 93.

"The primitive Christians did keep the Sabbath of the Jews;...therefore the Christians, for a long time together, did keep their conventions upon the Sabbath, in which some portions of the law were read: and this continued till the time of the Laodicean council." "The Whole Works" of Jeremy Taylor, Vol. IX,p. 416 (R. Heber's Edition, Vol XII, p. 416).

"It is certain that the ancient Sabbath did remain and was observed (together with the celebration of the Lord's day) by the Christians of the East Church, above three hundred years after our Saviour's death." "A Learned Treatise of the Sabbath," p. 77

Note: By the "Lord's day" here the writer means Sunday and not the true Sabbath," which the Bible says is the Sabbath. This quotation shows Sunday coming into use in the early centuries soon after the death of the Apostles. It illustrates the apostasy that Paul the Apostle foretold of when he spoke about a great "falling away" from the Truth that would take place soon after his death.

"From the apostles' time until the council of Laodicea, which was about the year 364, the holy observance of the Jews' Sabbath continued, as may be proved out of many authors: yea, notwithstanding the decree of the council against it." "Sunday a Sabbath." John Ley, p.163. London: 1640.

to be continued....
We have just as much evidence from the second century that they worshiped Jesus on the 1st day of the week.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's day is naturally Sunday as God allows all covenants to be abide by or observed. Thus the Jewish Christians can observe the Sabbath on Saturday as Jews, and attend Sunday services as Christians.

Not really dear friend as the flaw in this argument is that there was no JEW when the Sabbath was made for all mankind *GENESIS 2:1-3; MARK 2:27 and there is no scripture that links "the Lords day" to Sunday or the first day of the week. According to scripture "the Lords day" is the Sabbath *MATTHEW 12:8. I have never argued that "the Lords day" is "the day of the Lord".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They probably did keep the Sabbath. AND worshiped the Lord on the day he rose from the tomb.
According to the scriptures all the Apostles and disciples kept Gods' Sabbath according to God's 4th commandment and worshiped God everyday.

ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 2:46-47 [46], And THEY CONTINUED DAILY WITH ONE ACCORD in the temple, AND BREAKING BREAD FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE, DID EAT THEIR MEAT WITH GLADNESS AND SINGLENESS OF HEART, [47], PRAISING GOD, AND HAVING FAVOR WITH ALL THE PEOPLE. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Of course, Scripture is God's Word. But Scripture isn't the only Word of God.
Scripture is indeed God's Word and inspired by God and the standard of all doctrine whether a teaching is from God or not from God *2 TIMOTHY 3:16; 1 JOHN 4:1.
I have proven from Scripture that Sunday is the Lord's Day.
Well that is not true. Please post the link or the scripture perhaps I missed it? The OP is asking for scripture that proves that Sunday is "the Lords day". You have not provided any scripture proving Sunday is "the Lords day". The scriptures says that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8. What scripture did you provide proving that Sunday or the first day of the week is the Lords day? - none. For me according to the scriptures, only Gods' Word is true *ROMANS 3:4 and we should believe and follow it *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 5:29 and you or your friends have not provided any that proves that "the Lords day" is Sunday.
What the OP seems to be trying to create is a false dichotomy between keeping the Sabbath and worshipping Jesus.
Well that is not true Jesse. The OP is simply asking for scripture that proves Sunday or the first day of the week is "the Lords day" because there is no scripture because Sunday worship is a man-made teachings and tradition that is not biblical. There is no scripture saying that God's 4th commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday (or the first day of the week) as a Holy day.
You cannot show me where worshiping Jesus on Sunday does anything to break the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy.
I do not need to show you that worshiping JESUS on Sunday breaks any of God's commandment as that has never been my argument. We should worship God everyday of the week *ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 2:46-47. God's 4th commandment however is one of God's 10 commandments that he commands his people to keep as a Holy day of rest as a memorial of creation and God as the creator of heaven and earth *EXODUS 20:8-11.
I agree that doing servile work on Saturday breaks the commandment (I refuse to call it the fourth, because it is not-there's no numbers in Exodus 20...)
According to the scriptures, there are 10 commandments in God's 10 commandments...

EXODUS 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote on the tables the words of the covenant, the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

DEUTERONOMY 4:13 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them on two tables of stone.

DEUTERONOMY 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the TEN COMMANDMENTS, which the LORD spoke to you in the mount out of the middle of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them to me.

God's 4th commandment is in EXODUS 20:8-11
I think it's funny that you think that God's declaring everything He created as good doesn't mean anything special.
Why would you say that? God declaring something is good is declaring something is good. Your claim was that when God says something is good means that he "blessed it". Which is not biblical as shown through the scriptures and the Hebrew word meanings previously shown. You stating that this is funny when only scripture has been provided does not really help your case. So no God's Word does not teach anywhere that God blessed everyday. God's Word only teaches that God "blessed" the "seventh day" at creation in GENESIS 2:1-3.
What I believe, and my Church teaches, is that everything is good, and the Sabbath is set aside, consecrated to God. See, you make such distinctions so you can say that Mary wasn't really most blessed among all women. What it really is, is everything God created is good, and holy, but one day is the holiest.That's fine, but you're saying, too, that worshiping God on Sunday is a sin, and it's not. Breaking the Sabbath is a different entity.Again, you have not shown how worshiping Jesus on Sunday is sinful.
Indeed, time to leave the man made teachings and traditions of men and return back to the pure Word of God. I believe you all are my brothers and sisters and that God's people are in all churches living up to all the light that God has revealed to them. The hour is coming and now is however that God is calling his people wherever they may be OUT FROM FOLLOWING THE TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS OF MEN back to the pure words of GOD alone. God is a Spirit and those who worship him must worship him in Spirit and in truth *JOHN 10:17; JOHN 4:23-24

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The expression "the Lord's day" is found only once in the Bible. In Revelation 1:10 John relates the beginning of his visionary experience to being in the Spirit "on the Lord's Day." The phrase seems to have become more common in the second century a.d., where it is found in such early Christian writings as Ignatius's Epistle to the Magnesians 9:1 (c. a.d. 108), the Didache 14:1 (c. a.d. 100-125), and the Gospel of Peter 9:35; 12:50 (c. a.d. 125-50).

The presence of the adjective kuriakos [kuriakov"] makes the expression grammatically different from the common biblical phrase "the Day of the Lord, " which uses the genitive form of the noun kurios [kuvrio"]. The adjective is found only one other time in the New Testament, in 1 Corinthians 11:20, where Paul speaks of "the Lord's Supper." Non-Christian parallels suggest that the adjective was used with reference to that which belonged to the Roman emperor; early Christians seem to have used it, perhaps in conscious protest, to refer to that which belonged to Jesus.

The particular "day" that belonged to Jesus seems to have been Sunday, or, by Jewish reckoning, Saturday sundown until Sunday sundown. According to the Gospels, Jesus was raised from the dead on "the first day of the week" ( Matt 28:1 ; Mark 16:2 ; Luke 24:1 ; John 20:1 ), that is, Sunday. New Testament evidence suggests that by the 50s, if not earlier, Christians were attaching special significance to Sunday. In 1 Corinthians 16:1-3 Paul exhorts the church at Corinth to set aside a sum of money "on the first day of every week" for the church at Jerusalem, as the Galatian churches were already doing. Similarly, Luke notes that when Paul arrived at Troas near the end of his third missionary journey, the church gathered together to break bread "on the first day of the week" ( Acts 20:6-7 ). Although the identification is not made explicit, there is therefore good reason to believe that John has Sunday in mind when he mentions "the Lord's Day" in Revelation 1:10. Certainly the second-century Gospel of Peter, which twice speaks of the day of Jesus' resurrection as "the Lord's Day" (9:35; 12:50), makes the connection. Similarly, the Epistle of Barnabas (c. a.d. 130) notes that Christians celebrate Jesus' resurrection of "the eighth day" (15:9; cf. John 20:26 ), or Sunday, which is the day after the seventh day — that is, the Jewish Sabbath (Saturday). Justin Martyr affirms that Jesus was raised on "the day of the Sun" (Apology 67).

How quickly the Lord's Day emerged as a specific day of worship for the early church is not clear. Luke observes that in the period immediately following the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost the earliest Christians met "every day" in the temple courts. Whether their breaking of bread in their homes was a daily or weekly occurrence he does not specify, but the former seems more likely ( Acts 2:46 ). Alternately, Paul's comments to the Corinthians concerning the laying aside of money on the first day of the week do not indicate whether this action was connected with a formal gathering of the church ( 1 Cor 16:13 ). Luke's description of the meeting of believers at Troas is the first clear indication of a special gathering as taking place in the evening, by which he probably means Sunday, using Roman reckoning from midnight to midnight, rather than the Jewish system. By the second century the Lord's Day was clearly set apart as a special day for worship. In a letter to the emperor Trajan (c. a.d. 112), the Roman governor Pliny the Younger notes that Christians assembled before daylight "on an appointed day" (Epistle 10:96), undoubtedly Sunday. The Didache specifically exhorts believers to come together on the Lord's Day (14:1), and the Epistle of Barnabas sees it as a special day of celebration (15:9). Indeed, Justin Martyr (c. a.d. 150) gives a detailed account of typical Sunday worship (Apology 67).

A clear picture of how the early Christians celebrated the Lord's Day emerges only gradually. Luke records that the Christians at Troas came together to break bread, which may well denote a meal that included the Lord's Supper (cf. Acts 2:42 ; 1 Cor 11:20-22 ). That Paul spoke (at great length!) to the assembled believers ( Acts 20:7-11 ) implies nothing about their typical practice, since Paul was a special guest and intended to leave the next day. The Didache makes explicit the connection between the breaking of bread and the Lord's Supper on the Lord's Day but says little else concerning the meeting, apart from mentioning the practice of confession of sin (14:1). Pliny mentions two meetings on the "appointed day": the Christians first meet before dawn to sing a hymn to Christ "as to a god" and to affirm certain ethical commitments; then they depart and reassemble for a meal. Not being a Christian himself, Pliny would not have understood the significance of the meal as a setting for the Lord's Supper; for him it was enough that the meal consisted "of ordinary, innocent food" (Epistle 10:96).

The most extensive account of an early Christian Sunday worship service is provided by Justin Martyr (Apology 67, cf. 65). According to Justin, the gathering begins with readings from "the memoirs of the apostles" the Gospels or the writings of the prophets for "as long as time permits." The "president" then delivers a sermon consisting of instruction and exhortation. Next, the congregation rises for prayer, following which the bread and wine are brought in for the Lord's Supper. After prayers and thanksgivings by the president and a congregational "Amen, " the deacons distribute the bread and wine to those who are present (and then carry some to those who are absent). There follows a collection of "what each thinks fit" for the needy, and, apparently, the end of the service.

Noteworthy in these early texts is the lack of identification of Sunday with the Jewish Sabbath. Luke has little to say about early Christian observance of the Sabbath, apart from recording Paul's preaching on the Sabbath in Jewish synagogues ( Acts 13:14 Acts 13:42 Acts 13:44 ; 17:2 ; 18:4 ; 16:13 ), which perhaps says less about Paul's commitment to Sabbath observance than about his missionary strategy. Indeed, Paul has little interest in observing special days as sacred ( Rom 14:5-6 ; Gal 4:9-11 ; Col 2:16 ). Ignatius contrasts observance of the Sabbath with living for the Lord's Day (Magnesians 9:1). The Epistle of Barnabas views the significance of the biblical Sabbath as being a symbol of the future rest established at the return of Jesus (15:1-8; cf. Heb 4:3-11 ). Justin Martyr speaks of the Sabbath in terms of a perpetual turning from sin (Dialogue with Trypho 12). In 321 Constantine proclaimed Sunday to be official day of rest in the Roman Empire (Codex Justinianus 3.12.3), but this does not seem to have been related to any concern with the Jewish Sabbath. By the end of the fourth century, church leaders such as Ambrose and John Chrysostom were making such a connection, defending relaxation from work on Sunday on the basis of the Fourth Commandment and paving the way for later Catholic and Protestant elaboration on Sunday as the Sabbath.

In the early church, then, the Christians began to give a special place to Sunday as the day on which Jesus was raised from the dead. It soon became a fixed day for worship, a celebration of the resurrection centered around the Lord's Supper. As Christianity distanced itself from Judaism, it is not surprising that eventually the church would see its special day in terms of the special day of the Jews, the Sabbath, and would transfer the provisions of the Fourth Commandment to Sunday.

If your going to post other peoples work please post your source. All that is posted here is references to writings outside of the scriptures that is not biblical. Your challenge in this OP is to provide a single scripture that proves that "the Lords day" in REVELATION 1:10 is Sunday or the first day of the week. Let's be honest. You or anyone else here have not been able to provide a single scripture showing that Sunday is "the Lords day" have you? Yet through the scriptures alone Gods' Word (not mine) says that "the Lords day" is the Sabbath day *MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28. I have never argued that "the Lords day" is "the day of the Lords".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.