Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 has nothing to do with God's 4th commandment Sabbath that is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7

This is the quote of your words to which I initially responded:

The word "κυριακη" (translit. "kuriake") is an Adjective - Dative - Singular - Feminine. This means it is being used as a 'possessive' as ownership or belonging to ("of", see 1 Corinthians 11:20, "the Lord's supper"), which means the "day" in context belongs to "the Lord". It is literally "the Lord's (belonging to) day".

The Dative Case does not show "it is being used as a possessive"! I see no reason for the 1 Cor 1:20 reference, as there is no Dative case employed, and the only "of" in the Greek text is the implied one of the Genitive ὑμῶν, "of you", or the possessive "your" .

Doug

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Dative Case does not show "it is being used as a possessive"! I see no reason for the 1 Cor 1:20 reference, as there is no Dative case employed, and the only "of" in the Greek text is the implied one of the Genitive ὑμῶν, "of you", or the possessive "your" .
Doug

I don't know about 1 Cor 1:20 but he might have reference 1 Cor 11:20 to show possessive "Lord's"

Both Rev 1:10 and 1 Cor 11:20 show up here - G2960 - kyriakos - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Which may be why they were in that post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is the quote of your words to which I initially responded: The Dative Case does not show "it is being used as a possessive"! I see no reason for the 1 Cor 1:20 reference, as there is no Dative case employed, and the only "of" in the Greek text is the implied one of the Genitive ὑμῶν, "of you", or the possessive "your" . Doug

Hello Doug,

Revelation 1:10, reads τῇ κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ (tē kyriakē hēmera [“the Lord’s day”]). The word κυριακῇ (kyriakē), translated “Lord’s,” is a dative feminine singular adjective, agreeing in case and gender with the noun it modifies (i.e., ἡμέρᾳ [hēmera; “day”]). It comes from κυριακός (kyriakos), an adjective meaning “belonging to the Lord.” “Lord’s” (kyriakós) is an adjective attributing a quality to the noun it modifies (i.e., “day”). The Lord’s Day, therefore, is a day belonging to Jesus Christ as Lord. The word κυριακῇ (kyriakē [“Lord’s]) is used twice in the New Testament—here in Revelation 1:10 [the Lord's day] and in 1 Corinthians 11:20 [the Lord's supper]. Both scripture cases where this word kyriakós (Lord's) is used shows ownership to the Lord in the nouns that are modified [day and supper].

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance Lord's.

2960. kuriakos From kurios; belonging to the Lord (Jehovah or Jesus) -- Lord's.

BDAG
κυριακός, ή, όν (s. κύριος) pert. to belonging to the Lord, the Lord’s (oft. in ins [since 68 A.D.: OGI 669, 13; 18] and pap.=‘imperial’ in certain exprs.: imperial treasury, service, etc. See Dssm., NB 44ff [BS 217ff], LO 304ff [LAE2 362ff]; Hatch 138f; and πρῶτος 1aα end; Iren. 1, 8, 1 [Harv. I 67, 1; 6f]) κ. δεῖπνον the Lord’s Supper 1 Cor 11:20. κ. ἡμέρα the Lord’s day (Kephal. I 192, 1; 193, 31; ὁ μὲν τέλειος … ἀεὶ ἄγει κ. ἡμέρας Orig, C. Cels. 8, 22, 6) i.e. certainly Sunday (so in Mod. Gk., and cp. POxy 3407 [IV A.D.]) Rv 1:10 (WStott, NTS 12, ’65, 70–75). For this κυριακὴ κυρίου D 14:1. Without κυρίου (Kephal. I 194, 9; 195, 6; Did., Gen. 190, 2) GPt 9:35; 12:50. τῷ σαββάτῳ ἐπερχομένης τῆς κ. AcPl Ha 3, 9. κατὰ κυριακὴν ζῆν observe the Lord’s day (opp. σαββατίζειν) IMg 9:1 (on the omission of ἡμέρα cp. Jer 52:12 δεκάτῃ τοῦ μηνός and s. ἀγοραῖος 2). σύνταξιν τῶν κυριακῶν ποιούμενος λογίων making an orderly presentation of the dominical words Papias (2:15) (s. also ἐξήγησις end); κ. λογίων (11:1; 12:2); κ. λόγων (3:1); κ. ἐξηγήσεων (8:9).—SMcCasland, The Origin of the Lord’s Day: JBL 49, 1930, 65–82; JBoehmer, D. christl. Sonntag nach Urspr. u. Gesch. ’31; PCotton, From Sabbath to Sunday ’33; WRordorf, Der Sonntag … im ältesten Christentum ’62 (Eng. tr. AGraham ’68); HRiesenfeld, Sabbat et Jour du Seigneur: TWManson memorial vol. ’59, 210–17.—B. 1008. DELG s.v. κύριος. M-M. TW. Spicq. Sv.

Defining the Lord's day in the scriptures

Matthew 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

Isaiah 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the sabbath, from doing your pleasure ON MY HOLY DAY; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.

Leviticus 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Ezekiel 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

The "Lords day" is the Sabbath day according to the scriptures. There is no scriptural links to "the Lords day" in Revelation 1:10 being in reference to "Sunday" or the "the first day of the week".

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bro.T--2

Aug 22, 2020
Chicago
✟15,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi All,

This thread is for scripture only. We would like to show that based on the scriptures alone the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching and you will not find this in God's WORD.

Let's start by looking at your scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"! NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

The challenge I am putting out there is if you believe Sunday is "the Lord's day" please prove that Sunday of the "first day of the week" is the Lord's day by scripture alone!

If you cannot find any scriptures to say that SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY" then you have a problem. Now let's look at the scriptures that give the answer to our question

Q.
WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?
A. MATTHEW 12:8 [8], For THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Now friend's the SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of God's 10 Commandments and there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that God's 4th Commandment has been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep SUNDAY as a HOLY DAY. The same as there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that SUNDAY is the LORD'S DAY.

John in the book of REVELATIONS 1:10 was in the SPIRIT on the SABBATH DAY not SUNDAY!

HOW WAS THE LORD'S DAY CHANGED TO SUNDAY?

SUNDAY Worship is a man-made teaching and tradition handed down by the Roman Catholic Church that goes against the teachings of the Bible and God’s Word *EXODUS 20:8-11

ARE YOU UNKNOWINGLY FOLLOWING A MAN MADE TRADITION IN SUNDAY WORSHIP?

God's WORD is very clear. Jesus warns us in his own words not to follow man-made teachings and traditions that break God’s commandments in Matthew…

MATTHEW 15:3-9
[3], But he answered and said to them, WHY DO YOU ALSO TRANSGRESS THE COMMANDMENT OF GOD BY YOUR TRADITION?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. THUS HAVE YOU MADE THE COMMANDMENT OF GOD OF NONE EFFECT BY YOUR TRADITION.
[7], YOU HYPOCRITES, WELL DID ESAIAS PROPHESY OF YOU, SAYING,
[8], THIS PEOPLE DRAWS NEAR TO ME WITH THEIR MOUTH, AND HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS; BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR FROM ME.
[9], BUT IN VAIN THEY DO WORSHIP ME, TEACHING FOR DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken according to the scriptures *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man. Jesus says that we shouldn't follow the traditions of man that go against the commandment of God. (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

In times of ignorance God winks at but when as knowledge of the truth has come God calls on all men everywhere to repent and believe his Word (Acts 17:30-31)

God's is calling his people to come out from following the traditions of men to worship him in Spirit and in truth.

God knows many follow these traditions from ignorance because they do not know any better. He loves all and is calling all who have ears to hear and eyes to see. Seek him in prayer asking for his Spirit to guide and teach you. He promises to be your guide and teacher. (John 14:26; 16:13: 7:17)

(FRIENDLY DICUSSION PLEASE)

Good afternoon....I agree 100% with the Lord sabbath day is on the seventh day of the week. But this part...
Hi All,

This thread is for scripture only. We would like to show that based on the scriptures alone the "LORD'S DAY" that many proclaim is SUNDAY is a false teaching and you will not find this in God's WORD.

Let's start by looking at your scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"! NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

This Lord's Day is referring to the future, the second coming of Jesus. Let's back up somes verses in Revelation 5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. Let's take another look at a prophet who was in the spirit on the Lord's Day. Let's go into Zechariah 13:8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them. 9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
11 In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddo.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Good afternoon....I agree 100% with the Lord sabbath day is on the seventh day of the week. But this part...

This Lord's Day is referring to the future, the second coming of Jesus. Let's back up somes verses in Revelation 5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. Let's take another look at a prophet who was in the spirit on the Lord's Day. Let's go into Zechariah 13:8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them. 9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
11 In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddo.

Nothing in Rev 1 speaks of the second coming happening 2000 years ago. We find Rev 19 describing the 2nd coming - but that description is not in Rev 1.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The church celebrates the ressurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ on the sunday. Sabbath, as stated in the Bible, was a jewish, not a Christian celebration.
Not really. There was no Jews when God made the Sabbath for all mankind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Interpretation my friend. Interpretation ;)
Interpretation of what. GENESIS 2:1-3, EXODUS 20:8-11 and MARK 2:27? I just read what God's Word says. How do you read those scriptures and what do you think they mean?

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,115.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Interpretation of what. GENESIS 2:1-3, EXODUS 20:8-11 and MARK 2:27? I just read what God's Word says. How do you read those scriptures and what do you think they mean?

You read it through SDA glasses my friend, i dont.

God bless you

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You read it through SDA glasses my friend, i dont.

God bless you
Hmm nope. I read it exactly as it reads in the bible. I asked you earlier, what do you think GENESIS 2:1-3, EXODUS 20:8-11 and MARK 2:27 mean? If you do not want to answer the question asked you earlier just say so. You do not have to if you do not want to. It's up to you but your silence here is telling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,115.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hmm nope. I read it exactly as it reads in the bible. I asked you earlier, what do you think GENESIS 2:1-3, EXODUS 20:8-11 and MARK 2:27 mean? If you do not want to answer the question asked you earlier just say so. You do not have to if you do not want to. It's up to you but your silence here is telling. Perhaps you can pray about it.

Like i said, you have your interpretation. You have your own understanding on the Sabbath. Your SDA view.

I rest my case!

God bless you

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Like i said, you have your interpretation. You have your own understanding on the Sabbath. Your SDA view.

I rest my case!

God bless you
How can you rest your case when you have not made one? As posted earlier my view is that of the scriptures provided to you earlier. They are my evidence and I believe them. They are God's Word not mine. I asked you your interpretation of the scriptures provided your response was simply to ignore my question to you. Anyhow like I said you do not have to answer my question if you do not want to but I think you know that these scriptures which are God's Word (not mine) disagree with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,115.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How can you rest your case when you have not made one? As posted earlier my view is that of the scriptures provided to you earlier. They are my evidence and I believe them. They are God's Word not mine. I asked you your interpretation of the scriptures provided your response was simply to ignore my question which I believe is telling. Anyhow like I said you do not have to answer my question if you do not want to just say so.

I dont see it as you do. Simples. ;)

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.