Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The King James Bible is based predominantly on the Textus Receptus line of manuscripts.

What did Erasmus use to compose the Textus Receptus? I just quoted that in bold letters like 5 posts ago.

Erasmus had been working for years on two projects: a collation of Greek texts and a fresh Latin New Testament. In 1512, he began his work on the Latin New Testament. He collected all the Vulgate manuscripts that he could find to create a critical edition.

Vulgate

1: a Latin version of the Bible authorized and used by the Roman Catholic Church

Definition of VULGATE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well... sometimes KJV Onlyism reminds me of the man who draws water from an old well in a leaky bucket and runs home in the hope enough will be left.

To put it another way, fair and robust argumentation won't get any traction when hardline bias colours judgement.

But perhaps the worst impact of this unfortunate rumpus is how it directly insults those sincere believers who grow in the knowledge of Christ through reading and studying their "modern" translations.

Over the decades it's this incontrovertible truth that has bothered me most. Along with many others, I've been using the NKJV, NASB, Amplified Bible and ESV for many years. They have helped lead me into a much deeper understanding of true doctrine and how to apply the fullness of it to my life.

These translations have often strengthened my relationship with God, encouraging true spiritual growth and correcting many of my failings. They have glorified Christ and given Him His proper place as the eternal One in Whom all the fullness of diety dwells.

They have taught me much about true Christ-likeness and the deceitfulness of the flesh. They have enabled me to recognise false teaching and the implications of deceptive half-truths that cause so much damage in the true Church. And so on...

In actual practice then, my appreciation of what God's living Word means to me is not in any way harmed or held back by using these translations (see personal essays below which hopefully will confirm this?).

So in the real world, using the KJV—or indeed modern editions/translations of it!—offers no worthwhile advantages over quality "modern" translations. While that's the kindest way to put it, we can't ignore the reasons why it's definitely not the ideal go-to translation today.

Walking Faith

I believe a Christian can be saved by a Modern Translation and I believe they can to some extent live a holy life. I am not denying that a person in another foreign country who has a Modern Bible in their language is not able to share in these things. But there is a subtle problem, though. The truth they have is not enough to perfect their walk in Christ because many doctrines are changed, and many truths are changed or attacked. The Modern Bible Scholar or Proponent thinks there is no perfect Bible, and thus as a result this can lead a person to think that God did not perfectly preserve His Word because not all bibles say the same thing. You also have to believe the lie that Satan has stopped his tactics in corrupting the Word of God, as well. But we know Bibles like the Word on the Street Translation or the LOLCatBible, or the Queens James Bible, or the New World Translation are corruptions upon God’s Word just as other Modern Bibles are corrupted or tainted. You appear to ignore that doctrines are changed for the worse and not for the better when you compare the KJB vs. Modern Translations. I believe a person who holds to Modern Scholarship view is more likely to also fall away from the faith because there is no perfect Word of God that they can truly trust because their bible changes like a shapeshifter every few years (Both in the original languages it shape shifts and the in their English bibles it shape shifts). So the Bible you have now will not be the same a thousand years from now. It will be totally different. Sure, the overall stories may be there, but when truth of God’s Word is changed subtly here and there for many years, you are not going to have anything close to resembling the true and pure Word of faith (that is only found in the KJB or the Textus Receptus line of manuscripts). But see the Bible talks about how there are two vines. We need to be careful which vine we are listening to. God cannot lie, and yet you want me to believe in a Bible that has errors (lies). You cannot claim any of the Bible’s you have are indeed the Word of God because none of them are perfect because they went the way of the dinosaur by only existing perfectly in the originals. So who gets to decide what God said? You? The scholar? That’s what scary about you believe, and I want no part of it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What did Erasmus use to compose the Textus Receptus? I just quoted that in bold letters like 5 posts ago.

Sorry, I do not need to go back and look because you have been misunderstanding basic facts that even Modern Scholars agree with me on.

You said:
Vulgate

1capitalized : a Latin version of the Bible authorized and used by the Roman Catholic Church

Definition of VULGATE

So you believe the Catholics gave us the Bible? Good for you. I am not Catholic and I don’t believe that. But if that floats your boat, go right ahead and believe that.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you believe the Catholics gave us the Bible? Good for you. I am not Catholic and I don’t believe that. But if that floats your boat, go right ahead and believe that.

No God gave us the Bible, thru the Catholic Church. But your blasting Wescott & Hort for their use of Catholic material so I thought it was relevant to remind you that Catholic material was also used in the Textus Receptus.

• Winner
Reactions: BeingThere
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why can't some people simply accept that the King James Bible is just an English translation, one of many? Where does the idea come from that somehow that particular translation, now more than 400 years old, is the only accurate translation of the ancient sources (none of which are the originals)?

There is no reason. They choose to believe what their churches taught instead of asking God for guidance on choosing Bibles. My Bible choice is based on familiarity: It only makes sense to read the same version, the NIV, that my pastors always read during sermons. But if it was the KJV, I would never go back.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because someone told them that newer translations “removed” parts of the Bible that were never there in the first place.

The problem is… how do you know? You take it by faith that the scholar is correct. But I don’t have faith in scholars because Jesus said to beware of the Scribes (Luke 20:46). I have faith in the Bible and not in the wisdom of men. I look honestly in the here and now and I do a fruits test to see if the doctrines are effected. Any unbiased person will come to the conclusion that Modern Bibles are corrupt by way of comparison to the KJB when they see an attack on the Trinity, an attack on the blood atonement, and an attack upon the deity of Christ. These truths may not be important to you, but they are important to me because I was born again of water.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No God gave us the Bible, thru the Catholic Church. But your blasting Wescott & Hort for their use of Catholic material so I thought it was relevant to remind you that Catholic material was also used in the Textus Receptus.

If you truly believe the Catholic Church gave us the Bible, we are done talking. Nothing I will say will convince you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no reason. They choose to believe what their churches taught instead of asking God for guidance on choosing Bibles. My Bible choice is based on familiarity: It only makes sense to read the same version, the NIV, that my pastors always read during sermons. But if it was the KJV, I would never go back.

Really? Are you truly saying that you would be unwilling to follow God because you don’t want to look up words in a dictionary?

Besides, if there was no perfect Bible, I would be an unbeliever most likely today. For if God cannot perfectly preserve His Word what makes me trust some words in the Bible over not believing others. Many here have a shapeshifter Bible that changes both in the Original Languages (28th Edition of the Critical Text), and they have a shapeshifter Bible that changes in their English translations because their NASB or NIV is going to say something different on a verse in a few years. Their Bible they have now in 1,000 years may most likely be totally unrecognizable with all the changes being made. If no Word of God is perfect and it has errors than that means it is not God’s Word because God cannot lie or say something false. Yet, you want me to believe all bibles say things that are false (i.e. they have some errors in them).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,027.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God gave us the church through the Bible, not the Bible through the church
Actually, the opposite is true. The new testament was written for/to already existing church/es. You can read the location of the churches in the names of books, for example "the letter of Paul to Thessalonians".

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can read the location of the churches in the names of books, for example "the letter of Paul to Thessalonians".
Epistles are church memos yes, but the OT lead us to the Messiah which led us to the Kingdom. Out of this more churches were formed which amalgamated scriptures and letters old and new to act as a base to their platform. It became a matter of we are the true church because our collected material says so.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is… how do you know? You take it by faith that the scholar is correct. But I don’t have faith in scholars because Jesus said to beware of the Scribes (Luke 20:46). I have faith in the Bible and not in the wisdom of men.

The KJV Bible was translated by scribes just like every copy in every language ever since the originals were written.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you truly believe the Catholic Church gave us the Bible, we are done talking. Nothing I will say will convince you.

That’s not what I said. I said GOD GAVE US THE BIBLE, thru the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That’s not what I said. I said GOD GAVE US THE BIBLE, thru the Catholic Church.

Through the Catholic church? That's funny, as there is no mention of the Catholic church in the Bible. God gave us the Bible through a number of different authors, all of whom existed before the Catholic church was even an idea.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,016.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is… how do you know? You take it by faith that the scholar is correct. But I don’t have faith in scholars

Clearly you have complete faith in the KJV scholars, and anyone else who favours/supports the KJV - so you are selective about which scholars you trust.

I look honestly in the here and now

I'm sorry, but you don't.
This thread is all about why the KJV is the best and most accurate Bible; if you were looking at the here-and-now, you'd be willing to consider scholarship/translations/discoveries made in the last 400+ years. You'd agree that the NT was written in Koine Greek - the language of the man on the street - and that KJV English is NOT the language of people on the street today. I think you might even be in favour of getting the Bible to as many people as possible in language they could understand and identify with, so that all could hear about God.

Instead of which, you insist that a 400 + year old book is perfect, and that everyone who doesn't agree is liberal, has got it wrong, has blind faith in scholars or does not have the "whole truth" about God.
Quite simply - that is wrong.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Clearly you have complete faith in the KJV scholars, and anyone else who favours/supports the KJV - so you are selective about which scholars you trust.

I'm sorry, but you don't.
This thread is all about why the KJV is the best and most accurate Bible; if you were looking at the here-and-now, you'd be willing to consider scholarship/translations/discoveries made in the last 400+ years. You'd agree that the NT was written in Koine Greek - the language of the man on the street - and that KJV English is NOT the language of people on the street today. I think you might even be in favour of getting the Bible to as many people as possible in language they could understand and identify with, so that all could hear about God.

Instead of which, you insist that a 400 + year old book is perfect, and that everyone who doesn't agree is liberal, has got it wrong, has blind faith in scholars or does not have the "whole truth" about God.
Quite simply - that is wrong.

Great post!!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Through the Catholic church? That's funny, as there is no mention of the Catholic church in the Bible. God gave us the Bible through a number of different authors, all of whom existed before the Catholic church was even an idea.

Really? Where are the writings of those authors?

• Agree
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I stated back in this thread in post #293 the following.

There are…

Four Major Positions on God’s Word:
(Or: 4 Major Views on God’s Word)
  1. KJB only position (We have a perfect bible today).

2. Only the originals were inspired.

3. God’s Word exists amongst the thousands of remaining manuscripts (including their many variants) (i.e. the James White view).

4. All bibles are inspired (i.e. which would include all English bible translations).
I think bastardizations of Holy Scripture such as The Passion Translation prove #4 to be demonstrably false. On the other hand, imo any position using the word "only" would also seem to be easily dis-proven.
I believe the King James 1900 Cambridge Edition is the pure Word of God.

Based on your repeated statements and arguments you have clearly taken position 1, KJV "only".
This means you are saying that even the original autographs were not inspired.
That's an odd position to take.

Acts 8:26-34, a eunuch is reading Isaiah.
While there is no evidence in favor that he was reading an original autograph; we can be 100% certain, an absolute, positive that he was not reading the King James 1900 Cambridge Edition nor any other KJV edition.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Really? Are you truly saying that you would be unwilling to follow God because you don’t want to look up words in a dictionary?

Where did you get the idea that is all I care about?

I have stated many times punctuation, word order, and spelling are all totally unacceptable to me, as well as ancient idioms that are no longer used either. A dictionary will not fix anything that is wrong with 1611 British English. Only a modern American English Bible can do that.

There has never been a single reason to use the King James Version and never will be. I learned about Christianity with the NIV. The only church I belonged to as one of God's children uses the NIV. It is the most popular modern English Bible.

Upvote 0